• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB3D Disappointments Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
No Ridley Mewtwo KRool = trash.

But seriously, the main thing I can complain about a bit are the lack of stages from more recent 3DS masterpieces.
Stages from games like Dark Moon, Dream Team, and Link Between Worlds.

Also, stages from Classic Handheld gems, like Metroid Fusion, Advanced Wars, Minish Cap/Four Sword, GoldenSun (fingers crossed for stage with Isaac DLC), and Tetris (when that GameBoy game was shown to be a Kirby stage, and not a stage at goes through the most iconic GameBoy games, I was a bit ticked off. I really thought there would be some Tetris in there).

So the only actual problems I have with the game, besides character bias, are the lack of particular stages.
I was pumped when Sakurai said 3DS would have stages based Handheld games, while Wii U would have Console Stages. I though Handheld games would get some really cool stages.
Dont worry instead of Tetris there is Kirby, Sakurai would never ditch kirby.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
True, as I've said it irritates me to no end that the best handheld games aren't represented here, and not even 3DS ones for that matter. They still could have included DS games (not pictochat mind you), GBA games, GB...

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Kirby didnt lose anything though, in a way that is something.
I have to say its disappointing we didn't get any Kirby Triple Deluxe trophies or anything related to that game or one of the DS games.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
I'm was hoping that Vaati would be in.
I mean, it was a very unlikely request, but still.
I'm still very happy with the roster though.
At least I'm not a Mewtwo fanboy like my younger brother.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Going by the popular belief and comments, I think the biggest and most glaring problem with Smash 3DS is all the missed opportunities to show the game is not an inferior version/ training ground.

I have to say its disappointing we didn't get any Kirby Triple Deluxe trophies or anything related to that game or one of the DS games.
I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE IS NO TRIPLE DELUXE MUSIC! THAT SOUNDTRACK IS GLORIOUS YET NO TD SONGS? Now I just asume Sakurai hates Kirby now and threw Triple Deluxe there for the LOLs.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
In terms of roster, I felt that SSBB's roster was better. SSBB had many new characters introduced, many UNIQUE characters that were very diverse and more fresh. SSB4's roster is weaker in that regard, not many characters people care for (Exception is Robin, Shulk, Megaman and MAYBE Pac-Man). It relied too much on 3rd party newcomers and ignored the most requested Nintendo newcomers (Mewtwo, Ridley and King K. Rool among others). That's why I feel SSBB's roster was more complete you could say. SSB4's roster feels incomplete. Also, Brawl's clones were at least unique and fun.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
I am disappointed that sakurai didn't put pyrosphear in the 3ds version, So we could clarify ridley as a boss sooner.
(Also no pajama toon link)

Last edited:

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Some final smashes that REALLY needed to change (Peach, Falco, Toon Link, Sheik) didn't. And others that didn't need to (Kirby, Dedede, ROB) got changed. It's also disappointing that none of the clones have a unique FS. Also the CSS and SSS are really ugly :ohwell:
NO WAY! Kirby's final smash totally could of been given to cooking mama!

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Well, the only real problem i have is that Dr. Mario and Dark Pit of all people got in over unique chars. like Lucas and Wolf. I mean, at least Snake and IC had legit. reasons, there wasn't any real reason to cut Lucas and Wolf honestly, and i'm pretty dissapointed that it happened. :\ That's what it feels like to me anyway. Other than that, no complaints, the game looks incredible and i can't wait to play it.

Slyphoria

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SquidWithGlasses
3DS FC
4184-1884-8690
Screw what I said earlier, easily my main disappointment is with the vocal community.

People being so wild and making large end-alls to everything is pissing me off. I want to partially main :4darkpit: just to annoy every single one of them. Purple :4charizard: too.

I can't wait until all these people shut up. Probably near December. Let Xmas come early and make these people stop complaining about everything.:hulk:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Screw what I said earlier, easily my main disappointment is with the vocal community.

People being so wild and making large end-alls to everything is pissing me off. I want to partially main :4darkpit: just to annoy every single one of them. Purple :4charizard: too.

I can't wait until all these people shut up. Probably near December. Let Xmas come early and make these people stop complaining about everything.:hulk:
It will never stop till the problem is fixed.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884

I agree with you, and I have but one complaint to go along with it:

Where's Coldsteel?! He literally killed Sonic at the academy and they won't even put him in Smash? And no, I don't want him as a FREAKING palette swap OR a clone of Sonic. Coldsteel the Hedgeheg should be his own character! Get it together, Sakurai.

He's more relevant than K. Rool, he identifies with the younger generation like Mewtwo can't, AND he's not nearly as big as Ridley.

If Coldsteel isn't DLC I'm going to throw my whole 3DS into the atlantic because I DESERVE THIS.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I agree with you, and I have but one complaint to go along with it:

Where's Coldsteel?! He literally killed Sonic at the academy and they won't even put him in Smash? And no, I don't want him as a FREAKING palette swap OR a clone of Sonic. Coldsteel the Hedgeheg should be his own character! Get it together, Sakurai.

He's more relevant than K. Rool, he identifies with the younger generation like Mewtwo can't, AND he's not nearly as big as Ridley.

If Coldsteel isn't DLC I'm going to throw my whole 3DS into the atlantic because I DESERVE THIS.
Just looked up Coldsteel, simply amazing.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Just looked up Coldsteel, simply amazing.
Same here... for a second I was befuddled because I'm a big Sonic fan then I realized you were joking and looked it up. The quintessence of deviantART. Masterful.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
On the subject of deviantART, how sad is it that I find that place to have a better selection of Sonic colour-palettes than his actual colour-palettes in Smash? Because seriously, barely different shades of blue and some different gloves/shoes makes for a pretty poor selection in my opinion. Brawl suffered from this, and now Smash 4 does too.

Come on Sakurai, you can do better than this.

And not to mention the fact Sonic still has two versions of the spin-dash. I love playing as Sonic but I do wish his moveset could have been made more diverse, like change his side-B to a sommersault-wind-slash-projectile-kick or something.

Though this is a problem I have in general with the game, it feels like Sakurai neglected most of the returning characters in favour of the newcomers, barely bothering to change them or anything. And the custom moves too, from what I've seen almost 90% of them are just variations that either changes the power/speed, or they just add an effect. Look at Palutena, all her Custom moves are unique, why couldn't you do the same for the rest of the characters, Sakurai?
Like for example Mario, instead of scalding/high-pressure FLUDD, why couldn't we have had the Tornado as one option, and a hammer move (like in the rpg's) as another!?

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
On the subject of deviantART, how sad is it that I find that place to have a better selection of Sonic colour-palettes than his actual colour-palettes in Smash? Because seriously, barely different shades of blue and some different gloves/shoes makes for a pretty poor selection in my opinion. Brawl suffered from this, and now Smash 4 does too.

Come on Sakurai, you can do better than this.

And not to mention the fact Sonic still has two versions of the spin-dash. I love playing as Sonic but I do wish his moveset could have been made more diverse, like change his side-B to a sommersault-wind-slash-projectile-kick or something.

Though this is a problem I have in general with the game, it feels like Sakurai neglected most of the returning characters in favour of the newcomers, barely bothering to change them or anything. And the custom moves too, from what I've seen almost 90% of them are just variations that either changes the power/speed, or they just add an effect. Look at Palutena, all her Custom moves are unique, why couldn't you do the same for the rest of the characters, Sakurai?
Like for example Mario, instead of scalding/high-pressure FLUDD, why couldn't we have had the Tornado as one option, and a hammer move (like in the rpg's) as another!?
Side Special and Down Special for Sonic actually behave significantly differently now. Differently enough to have massively different applications. For one, Down Special appears to multi-hit during the dash, dragging the victim along with for a short distance. For another, the much sharper rise and descent on Side Special gives it quite a lot of new utility, especially in the air.

As for Mario, I'm disappointed that his Down Special customizations weren't different FLUDD Nozzles. Hover Nozzle, Rocket Nozzle, Turbo Nozzle, and that secondary firing method that shoots a single wide burst instead of a steady stream. Hover Nozzle could be his standard FLUDD if used in the air, while Turbo and Rocket would be lumped together in one custom special. The Squirt Nozzle's secondary fire could perhaps be included as its own custom special as well, but what the aerial version would be I don't know.

My personal #1 biggest disappointment with Smash 4: This game shares Brawl's faulty Self-Destruct/KO detection. It registers any death as a KO for the person who last hit you before you died (regardless of whether you land in between or not, or even if you end up jumping off the edge to edgeguard and failing to make it back without being hit during your edgeguarding attempt.), only registering an SD if you have not yet been hit when you die.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I'm all for content that draws from the Mario and Luigi RPG series, so as soon as custom moves were revealed I was praying for something like that for both Mario and Luigi's custom moves or maybe even a move where Mario kicks out a green shell rather than shooting a fireball. Also Sonic has sooooo many games he could take from in terms of his moveset, I suppose they wanted more generic and recurring options in the series. As far as custom moves for Sonic, I originally envisioned maybe one or two moves based off the Wisp abilities in Sonic Colors. I'm having trouble remembering some of the better and more original Sonic abilities which could have been moves... oi vey.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman

Not to be the fake-Mod, but complaints about the community are not allowed in this thread. Some people got infractions for doing so. Just some advice.You probably should rethink your decision to join a forum since you can't tolerate different opinions and people that won't necessarily agree with you.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I'm all for content that draws from the Mario and Luigi RPG series, so as soon as custom moves were revealed I was praying for something like that for both Mario and Luigi's custom moves or maybe even a move where Mario kicks out a green shell rather than shooting a fireball. Also Sonic has sooooo many games he could take from in terms of his moveset, I suppose they wanted more generic and recurring options in the series. As far as custom moves for Sonic, I originally envisioned maybe one or two moves based off the Wisp abilities in Sonic Colors. I'm having trouble remembering some of the better and more original Sonic abilities which could have been moves... oi vey.
Well, he does have the Bounce Attack as a custom Neutral Special, so that's a thing.

Ideas I had for cool Sonic custom moves:

Side Special: Light Speed Attack: A charge-and-store move where Sonic suddenly blasts straight forward in his ball form when the charged attack is released. Has very high KO power at the start of the dash, but a blind spot directly in front of Sonic. Can be jump-cancelled partway through, otherwise Sonic goes into helpless fall. There's a catch, though: This move has no uncharged variant, you have to charge it all in one go, and it takes quite some time to charge. You can cancel out of the charge at any time, but if you do so you have to start over from the beginning!

Neutral Special: Light Speed Attack: An alternative interpretation of the Light Speed Attack, this time as a Neutral Special variant. This move appears as a chargeable Homing Attack. Uncharged, it performs a single Homing Attack that behaves the exact same as normal with the exception of greater startup time than normal, as well as reduced knockback and greatly reduced damage (probably around 4% per hit instead of the standard Homing Attack's 12%) compared to the standard version. But when you charge it, Sonic locks onto the same foe multiple times. This means that when the first Homing Attack hits, Sonic will immediately follow up with another Homing Attack with next to no startup time. At full charge, you can batter your foe with a vicious onslaught of 5 successive Homing Attacks! Each Homing Attack in a single Light Speed Attack activation true combos into the next. This move is ideal for battering offstage foes over the horizontal blast lines, provided the foe gives you time to charge it. It is a little unpredictable as to exactly where the victim will end up, however; just like a standard Homing Attack, the direction of the knockback is the same as the direction Sonic had been moving when he struck the target, and of course the victim is able to KI every single hit.

Side Special: Sonic Boost: A damaging command dash somewhat similar to Palutena's Super Speed. Sonic blasts forward in a run, creating a sonic boom where he took off from just like in Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations, but over a smaller area instead of covering the whole screen. This move immediately takes Sonic up to his maximum run speed, and he deals decent damage to any opponent he hits while Boosting. Additionally, foes hit by the strangely-visible sonic boom on takeoff are dealt 1% damage with launching knockback but no KO power. Sonic can jump during a Boost and remain Boosting, but only gets half his normal jump height and deals reduced damage and knockback while in the air. Sonic continues Boosting as long as the Special button is held, and cannot change direction while doing so. The problem is, the move's endlag gets exponentially longer the longer he continues to Boost, leaving him wide-open afterwards if not used carefully.

cutelittleoshawott

Smash Cadet
Side Special and Down Special for Sonic actually behave significantly differently now. Differently enough to have massively different applications. For one, Down Special appears to multi-hit during the dash, dragging the victim along with for a short distance. For another, the much sharper rise and descent on Side Special gives it quite a lot of new utility, especially in the air.

As for Mario, I'm disappointed that his Down Special customizations weren't different FLUDD Nozzles. Hover Nozzle, Rocket Nozzle, Turbo Nozzle, and that secondary firing method that shoots a single wide burst instead of a steady stream. Hover Nozzle could be his standard FLUDD if used in the air, while Turbo and Rocket would be lumped together in one custom special. The Squirt Nozzle's secondary fire could perhaps be included as its own custom special as well, but what the aerial version would be I don't know.

My personal #1 biggest disappointment with Smash 4: This game shares Brawl's faulty Self-Destruct/KO detection. It registers any death as a KO for the person who last hit you before you died (regardless of whether you land in between or not, or even if you end up jumping off the edge to edgeguard and failing to make it back without being hit during your edgeguarding attempt.), only registering an SD if you have not yet been hit when you die.
Wait so if P1 attacks P2 then P2 decides to Self Destruct P1 will get a point as if P1 KO'D P2? I didn't even know that was in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Disappointed in the lack of item frequency switch. And not having the target test there is kind of sad.

All in all, very impressed with the game though.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
THERE IS NO FREQUENCY SWITCH? For the love of.....
Not in the 3DS version, no.

I'm beginning to get the impression that Sakurai and his team kind of bit off more than they could chew when making Smash 3DS. The game came out really well, in my opinion - it's awesome. But some things were kind of pushed to the side.

The game itself is huge. I think they really were pushing the limits of the 3DS. I'm not a software developer and I'm not sure how all of this really works, but that's kind of the impression I've been getting.

I'll give them a pass. I'm very grateful for the fact that a handheld Smash exists in the first place.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
THERE IS NO FREQUENCY SWITCH? For the love of.....
Don't worry they'll patch it in eventually.... It's pretty disheartening how much of a rush they were to make this game when a basic feature like item frequency can't even make it in.
Who's idea was it to have one dev team make two games at the same time? Probably Sakurai cuz he's OCD like that but that's way too much pressure.
Notice how Sonic games have a different dev team work on the handheld version, namely Colors, Generations, Lost World, and Boom. Or how Kingdom Hearts games come out one at a time. Even COD has 3 different dev teams working on each game separately.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Don't worry they'll patch it in eventually.... It's pretty disheartening how much of a rush they were to make this game when a basic feature like item frequency can't even make it in.
Who's idea was it to have one dev team make two games at the same time? Probably Sakurai cuz he's OCD like that but that's way too much pressure.
Notice how Sonic games have a different dev team work on the handheld version, namely Colors, Generations, Lost World, and Boom. Or how Kingdom Hearts games come out one at a time. Even COD has 3 different dev teams working on each game separately.
Well hopefully an item switch isnt the only thing they fix...

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Here's the English names for the custom moves. I found them in another thread.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=c2xywrva

So one of Fox's custom moves is called Wolf flash.... Lets say that even if Wolf was cut from the start or early on what was Sakurai thinking. He could have at least called it Fax flash because this just seems like a slap in the face for Wolf fans ( assuming this is legit). Having Fox have one of Wolf's moves as a custom move is tolerable to a degree ( Luigi has a custom move which makes his fireballs act like mario's),but since Wolf isn't playable at the moment why did Sakurai name it Wolf flash? Its down right insulting to Wolf fans (and Starfox fans). I'm really beginning to question what Wolf's status was in this game. His trophy is purely his look from assault and Sakurai made sure the Star Wolf theme got a bad*** remix. In other bad news the clones appear to have the exact same custom moves as the characters they're clones of. Wow Sakurai. Even Ganondorf and Falco have different custom moves than Fox and Captain Falcon ( respectively). Dr. Mario's only original custom moves are the down B ones. The pills are just re-skins of the fire balls ( in my opinion at least I don't know a lot about the properties of Dr. Mario's pills.) Every other custom move is pretty much the same as Mario's. Lucina and Dark Palette Pit are pretty much carbon clones in terms of custom moves. This is unacceptable. Ganondorf of all characters has some custom moves that make his specials different from Captain Falcon's so why can't Lucina has some different custom moves than Marth? Although we really need to experience them in game to see how different they are. I was nice to her when she was revealed, but now she should have been an alt for Marth. Dark Puke's custom moves ( from what I can tell ) are the same as Pit's.......... Man Sakurai really botched it with this guy and its his own character too. I don't care if Dark palette Pit would have looked stupid using the Great Sacred treasures as his final smash because he should have just been an alt for Pit.( the koopalings have shadow Mario and they never used him in any game, In fact I think this is their first canon appearance together.) In the end I am hating the clones even more now and questioning whether Sakurai even planned for Wolf to come back. Hopefully Wolf was planned and will be playable soon via Wii U transfer or DLC. At least he gave Ganondorf and Falco some different custom moves from Fox and Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
This being the reason Ice Climbers were cut. Screw roster parity, this version of the game is $20 cheaper!

MagnesD3

Smash Master

So one of Fox's custom moves is called Wolf flash.... Lets say that even if Wolf was cut from the start or early on what was Sakurai thinking. He could have at least called it Fax flash because this just seems like a slap in the face for Wolf fans ( assuming this is legit). Having Fox have one of Wolf's moves as a custom move is tolerable to a degree ( Luigi has a custom move which makes his fireballs act like mario's),but since Wolf isn't playable at the moment why did Sakurai name it Wolf flash? Its down right insulting to Wolf fans (and Starfox fans). I'm really beginning to question what Wolf's status was in this game. His trophy is purely his look from assault and Sakurai made sure the Star Wolf theme got a bad*** remix. In other bad news the clones appear to have the exact same custom moves as the characters they're clones of. Wow Sakurai. Even Ganondorf and Falco have different custom moves than Fox and Captain Falcon ( respectively). Dr. Mario's only original custom moves are the down B ones. The pills are just re-skins of the fire balls ( in my opinion at least I don't know a lot about the properties of Dr. Mario's pills.) Every other custom move is pretty much the same as Mario's. Lucina and Dark Palette Pit are pretty much carbon clones in terms of custom moves. This is unacceptable. Ganondorf of all characters has some custom moves that make his specials different from Captain Falcon's so why can't Lucina has some different custom moves than Marth? Although we really need to experience them in game to see how different they are. I was nice to her when she was revealed, but now she should have been an alt for Marth. Dark Puke's custom moves ( from what I can tell ) are the same as Pit's.......... Man Sakurai really botched it with this guy and its his own character too. I don't care if Dark palette Pit would have looked stupid using the Great Sacred treasures as his final smash because he should have just been an alt for Pit.( the koopalings have shadow Mario and they never used him in any game, In fact I think this is their first canon appearance together.) In the end I am hating the clones even more now and questioning whether Sakurai even planned for Wolf to come back. Hopefully Wolf was planned and will be playable soon via Wii U transfer or DLC. At least he gave Ganondorf and Falco some different custom moves from Fox and Captain Falcon.
What an idiot, goddamn him if wolf isnt dlc.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord

For the record, the move's Japanese name translated to something closer to "Fox Flash" rather than "Wolf Flash", as I recall.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII

*snip*
Neat list. So Fox gets Wolf's moves, Ness gets Lucas's moves, and yet they don't have any Wolf and Lucas Alts?
Optimistic: Hmmm... Maybe they're being worked on so they have brand new movesets?
Pessimistic: That dirty rat! You cut the characters and give their moves to someone else?!?

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Current list of disappointments:
  • We get Dr. Mario again but not Paper Mario (a stupid stage doesn't count).
  • It's not as fast-paced as I'd ideally want it to be but I really can't be picky so I don't really care.
  • All the blast zones are as big as (or bigger than) Dream Land.
  • The game isn't free.
  • The Wii U version isn't out yet and Japanese players get to play the game before me.
  • I have to wait 7 more days until I get the full game.
  • I haven't been able to play multiplayer with anyone yet. ;_;
  • Nintendo punished me for being a platinum member without their notification emails turned on.
  • I don't work for Nintendo.
  • I don't know anyone that works for Nintendo.

cutelittleoshawott

Smash Cadet
Yes. This exactly. This was fixed in Project: M, I believe, but is unfortunately is still present in Smash 4.
I guess they added it in to discourage players from Self Destructing too much if they don't want to be KO'd. Come to think of it I threw that spaceship item,got hit by Pikachu and was hit by my own explosion when it came crashing back down but Pikachu got a point even though I pretty much got KO'd by my own item.

cutelittleoshawott

Smash Cadet
Current list of disappointments:
  • We get Dr. Mario again but not Paper Mario (a stupid stage doesn't count).
  • It's not as fast-paced as I'd ideally want it to be but I really can't be picky so I don't really care.
  • All the blast zones are as big as (or bigger than) Dream Land.
  • The game isn't free.
  • The Wii U version isn't out yet and Japanese players get to play the game before me.
  • I have to wait 7 more days until I get the full game.
  • I haven't been able to play multiplayer with anyone yet. ;_;
  • Nintendo punished me for being a platinum member without their notification emails turned on.
  • I don't work for Nintendo.
  • I don't know anyone that works for Nintendo.
Why would this game be free?

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I guess they added it in to discourage players from Self Destructing too much if they don't want to be KO'd. Come to think of it I threw that spaceship item,got hit by Pikachu and was hit by my own explosion when it came crashing back down but Pikachu got a point even though I pretty much got KO'd by my own item.
Wait, isn't the player who threw the Hocotate Bomb immune to its explosion?
Self-destructing to avoid KO... hm... Well, it does have the advantage that your opponent doesn't get a point, but you still lose one. I guess that almost makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom