• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB3D Disappointments Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

modshroom128

Smash Cadet
NNID
katamari
Could you please show us, if that leak is true a lot of the disappointments in this thread will become invalid.( well at least the ones about characters that are supposedly DLC if this leak is legit) Time for a new thread for leaked hacks like this. Also another possible disappointment I'm worried about is not being able to play the game comfortably and competitively on my regular 3DS. I'm worried that it might break since its getting old. Hopefully it will be all right in the end. Also I can't download the demo because I don't have enough memory.
This "information" comes from some Notepad document posted to 4chan. It has numerous errors: Sheik is spelled wrong and Dedede is on there twice. It's almost certainly fake.
you are quite ignorant on this subject, names having multiple revisions/spelling mistakes is common with file flags in the source of a japenese game (see brawls source, its got just as many spelling errors and some character files are called weird things)

it's not "fake", but don't get your hopes up all in the scene know is it's cut content, not dlc.

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
you are quite ignorant on this subject, names having multiple revisions/spelling mistakes is common with file flags in the source of a japenese game (see brawls source, its got just as many spelling errors and some character files are called weird things)

it's not "fake", but don't get your hopes up all in the scene know is it's cut content, not dlc.
You're free to think as you'd like. There's a reason most everyone tossed this "leak" out as fake soon after it began circulating:

-no evidence it's true
-easily faked text document
-spelling errors
-repeat items
-haven't been substantiated by any other sources

It's possible that these are actual files, that only one person had access to them, and that the spelling errors and repeats were in the original document. Lots of things are possible.

modshroom128

Smash Cadet
NNID
katamari
You're free to think as you'd like. There's a reason most everyone tossed this "leak" out as fake soon after it began circulating:

-no evidence it's true
-easily faked text document
-spelling errors
-repeat items
-haven't been substantiated by any other sources

It's possible that these are actual files, that only one person had access to them, and that the spelling errors and repeats were in the original document. Lots of things are possible.
"It's possible that these are actual files, that only one person had access to them, and that the spelling errors and repeats were in the original document"
you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about

there is no "debate", we've stripped the rom. these file flags were in the japanese version of the rom. the fact you want a "news outlet source" to believe that the rips are true when we have all the ripped images from the game, trophy data, and file name flags out in the open is silly. Just judging by the fact you think listing "spelling errors" and "repeat items" are a reason as to why the the rips are fake prove you literally have absolutely no idea what you are talking about when it comes to dev code.

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
"It's possible that these are actual files, that only one person had access to them, and that the spelling errors and repeats were in the original document"
you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about

there is no "debate", we've stripped the rom. these file flags were in the japanese version of the rom. the fact you want a "news outlet source" to believe that the rips are true when we have all the ripped images from the game, trophy data, and file name flags out in the open is silly. Just judging by the fact you think listing "spelling errors" and "repeat items" are a reason as to why the the rips are fake prove you literally have absolutely no idea what you are talking about when it comes to dev code.
Who is "we"? The files you've posted come from one image on 4chan that was promulgated to various other forums. These files haven't been confirmed to exist by anyone else. No one is asking for a "news source."

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
@ modshroom128 modshroom128 there's honestly no need to degrade @ wannabe33 wannabe33 , because while it is absolutely possible, that leak does look pretty out there. It's not as valid as the ESRB leak, due to lack of video or photo evidence (though I suppose you can't have that with a ROM) but I think we're all going to be taking this with a large grain of salt.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
While this thread is still somewhat active, the worst part of the entire game is the Rage Effect. It leads to so many bullsh** KOs from what I've played in the demo so far. The fact they added that rather than shrinking the blast zones enrages me to no end. That and Mega Man feels very unbalanced, his lvl 6 CPU has done some ridiculous stuff.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Honestly, I can tolerate the Newcomers a bit. What I really hate is how little the veterans have changed(for better or worse). It's like Sakurai's group just copy and pasted their Brawl Models for the New Models in the 3DS, which aren't that very new. I am so disappointed at how Ike became; he should not struggle wielding Ragnell with that body! And they're all STILL Out of Characters(especially the Mario Bros. and Marth)!

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Ridley confirmed?

Ridley's absence
I wouldn't say Ridley's impossible, but maybe not possible in this iteration. The newcomers in Sm4sh are definitely some strange additions, but when Brawl added the majority of iconic characters Nintendo has to offer. That said, it was somewhat expected Nintendo would have to search for a few unexpected or forgotten characters. However, the newcomers (minus DHD and Doc Mario) have relevance in Nintendo's period between the release of Brawl and current day. Especially the Mii's, I mean Wii Sports was one of the best selling games of all time.

dansal

Smash Apprentice
Its not out yet + no snake, lucas, wolf, and only one diddy kong banana out at a time. I can understand the last part due to the infinite that existed in brawl, but balanced brawl managed to remove the infinite without reducing the number of bananas? Very confusing design decision by sakurai.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Its not out yet + no snake, lucas, wolf, and only one diddy kong banana out at a time. I can understand the last part due to the infinite that existed in brawl, but balanced brawl managed to remove the infinite without reducing the number of bananas? Very confusing design decision by sakurai.
It would appear not to be the first strange decision made by Sakurai during the development cycle. But hey, they've proven they're open to patches in this game so you never know!

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman

See this?
It's a trophy from Yoshi's NEW Island.

This trophy from the mediocre 3DS game somehow got in, whereas A Link Between Worlds and Triple Deluxe have NO evidence of trophies. How in the hell can an abysmal game get a trophy but nothing from a two great ones?

I might be exaggerating because it's just a trophy, but WHAT IS SAKURAI'S MINDSET

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
While this thread is still somewhat active, the worst part of the entire game is the Rage Effect. It leads to so many bullsh** KOs from what I've played in the demo so far. The fact they added that rather than shrinking the blast zones enrages me to no end. That and Mega Man feels very unbalanced, his lvl 6 CPU has done some ridiculous stuff.
That's funny. I put myself against a Level 9 Mega Man after reading that and saw that he plays exactly how I'm playing him. We're so equal that we killed each other at the same time and went to Sudden Death.

Last edited:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631

See this?

This trophy from the mediocre 3DS game somehow got in, whereas A Link Between Worlds and Triple Deluxe have NO evidence of trophies. How in the hell can an abysmal game get a trophy but nothing from a two great ones?

I might be exaggerating because it's just a trophy, but WHAT IS SAKURAI'S MINDSET
Oh god I wasn't even aware of this! That's terrible! Link Between Worlds is hands down one of the 3 best 3DS games and one of the best Zelda games... how disgraceful it doesn't even get a trophy. I suppose they're just trying to prove Yoshi is a standalone character rather than a Mario series rep with somewhat poorly received spin offs. and oh how I wish Magalor from Kirby RtDl was in this game as a trophy or something.

Niala

Smash Ace
-More characters I played getting cut than characters I didn't. (Lucas, Snake, and Wolf got cut, only Falco and Zelda stayed.)
-Insane blast zones/Vectoring. I'm not sure which it is that's causing people to survive to insane percents, but it's a real problem.
-Controller being poop, although at least I saw that one coming.
-Lack of single-player content. It's not only possible but easy to unlock all the characters and stages in less than a day, not to mention the scaling of amount of secret characters versus roster size is completely out of whack. It also appears that the content is, in general, quite a bit smaller than previous installments.
-No Target Smash, but that might get rectified with the WiiU.

So far, my perception of the game has been more disappointment than triumph. A lot of what I have to say will likely change once I'm able to play the full version myself, but there appears to be far more dissuading me from bothering with the 3DS version than there is encouraging.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I'm starting to think if they had advertised this as a Smash game which is intended to keep your skills sharp while traveling or on the go, rather than a full game, people might be a little less disappointed in the final product.

ZangooseQTR

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zangoose
I absolutely despised the demo, After i got my hands on the full game, I'm absolutely obsessed with this fantastic game, You'll be surprised about the diversity of play styles each character brings and including the stages.

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
Let me continue, because there's a lot more.

- Dark Pit (this is coming from someone who loves Uprising and Dark Pit)
- Lack of alternate costumes (Dry Bowser and Masked Dedede would've been nice)
- Little Mac having 16 alt palettes
- Ice Climbers, Lucas, Wolf, and Snake cut
- Lack of more unique stages
- Lack of a Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon stage
- Lack of any mention of A Link Between Worlds and Kirby Triple Deluxe
- Yoshi's New Island gets a trophy
- No online Smash Run
- The amount of Kid Icarus Uprising content is TOO DAMN HIGH
- Characters unlocked mainly through Classic Mode
- A highly unorganized character roster

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Yeah, it seems there is a very high amount of bias towards KI:U. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are so many better options for clones other than Dark Pit! That and the trophy of Yoshi's NI over some of the incredibly superior 3DS games like Bravely Default or Kirby Triple Deluxe or Dream Team. And that's another thing: the only trace we get of the Mario and Luigi series is the song Try, Try Again. One of the most underrated series Nintendo has to offer on its handhelds and it has almost no representation! Alts for both Mario and Luigi in the art style of the RPG series would have been highly welcome. Nintendo claims that the 3DS version's content would be drawn mainly from the handheld games, but it seems to be mainly drawn from Brawl. The salt is real, Sakurai.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
I'm really not liking how shields affect the flow of the match. I wish that short hopping came out faster so that it was a viable way to dodge and then counter attack, because sitting in shield really sucks.

I also say that as someone who's not a Melee buff.

Darkman.exe213

Smash Apprentice
Things I like:
The game definitely feels faster than Brawl, one of the issues I had with Brawl was that I played casually, got destroyed by competitive players, and was still bored to TEARS because of how sluggish the game felt.

Also an improvement from Brawl, it doesn't take 50 billion years to land a KO and 200% is not normal kill percentage.

While some people don't like the rage effect, I actually kinda like how it's implemented in this game because it allows kills at somewhat lower percentages. Ties back to the previous point about not taking forever to kill someone.

Things I don't like:
This game with items is even more unplayable than Brawl with items. The items are so swingy in nature compared to previous games that playing for fun is essentially items: the game. In playing with both the CPU and with other people it felt like there was way more of a mad scramble for items and those with items almost always preferred to use them over any of their character's moves, and those without them spent way more time trying to dodge item attacks. While I understand there's a separate mode for not playing with items, I do like to play with items casually but in this game it feels like the items actually interfere with the gameplay as opposed to previous installments where they complement it.

The lack of ledgehogging in any form. While I'm not suggesting that ledgehogging should be as abusive as it was in Melee (and I'm saying this AS a competitive Melee player) it does add an interesting dynamic to the game. Overall it feels like the game was thoroughly designed for people to play strictly within the confines of the rules set by the creators. Hopefully people discover some new tech and change that.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
The offstage game has no risk element to it anymore with your free recoverys and auto ledge snapping. There isn't much to worry about unless your little mac.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Ledge snapping hasn't worked for me, and I haven't seen any free recoveries. Am I doing something wrong? If I'm right at the ledge but facing the wrong way my character won't grab it, and Mario's recovery seems to be weak in general.

powerclaw1

Smash Rookie
NNID
powerclaw1
-No intro
-No special rules
-Local-only Smash Run

These are really minor gripes, but the lack of Special Smash is the biggest one.

cutelittleoshawott

Smash Cadet

See this?

I also heard they also removed the Tharja woman 's Trophy from Fire Emblem Awakening. I saw it from a POTD and would have liked that instead of this Trophy. Or a Trophy from Super Mario World 2:Yoshi's Island would have been better too.

subata

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-2147-2073
don't see a reason to still complain about clones in Smash nowadays. they've always been here so don't be surprised.

Overall I don't really have any disappointments.

Only disappointments is Smash fans need to stop complaining about clones and get over it. I'll be honest if you know you've mained a clone character I don't see a reason for you to complain at all about the Doc and Dark Pit, It's Sakurai so just suck it up and move on.
in my opinion,
clones are fine if their differences are also visual in ways other than color. that is my main hate for dark pit being chosen over alf for costume changed into character.
i'm disappointed that the koopalings are bowser jr's alts, it makes sense until you get to the final smash, then it's kinda just...... i hope he gets a different final smash or atleast non-koopaling alts in the next game, as the final smash is terribly unfitting for the koopalings.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Yeah, it seems there is a very high amount of bias towards KI:U. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are so many better options for clones other than Dark Pit! That and the trophy of Yoshi's NI over some of the incredibly superior 3DS games like Bravely Default or Kirby Triple Deluxe or Dream Team. And that's another thing: the only trace we get of the Mario and Luigi series is the song Try, Try Again. One of the most underrated series Nintendo has to offer on its handhelds and it has almost no representation! Alts for both Mario and Luigi in the art style of the RPG series would have been highly welcome. Nintendo claims that the 3DS version's content would be drawn mainly from the handheld games, but it seems to be mainly drawn from Brawl. The salt is real, Sakurai.
Whats really odd is Triple deluxe was released before Yoshi's new island. Also characters ( Luigi and King Dedede respectively) were reveled to coincide with the North American release of Dream team and the Japanese release of Triple Deluxe. Yoshi wasn't revealed to coincide with the North American release of New Island ( but Tomodachi Life was, ah that was a fun night) and was revealed in the direct before the Japanese release of New Island. I hope in the Wii U we get more songs from Dream Team. Try try again is good, but no where near as good as Never Let Up ( the boss theme ). I hope the Wii U version has more songs from Dream Team.

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
Representation Misdirection

KI U is getting all teh luvs but where are the Link Between Worlds, Dream Team, and Triple Deluxe trophies and junk? And the lack of love for Starfox, DK, and METROID?

KIU is like the asshole that showed up late to the interview and half assed and still got the job, while the guys who have been waiting an eon for the job (the aforementioned MiA'ers) got nada.

I mean my most wanteds didn't get in, but I knew what smash needed and that was more equal representation!

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I recently played the demo, and I now have a new complaint.
For some of the AT's, 30 fps is really noticeable.

Particularly, poor Ghirahim.
Try 30 FPS Nintendog getting all up in your face. It's disgusting, even if the dog is cute.

subata

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-2147-2073
Representation Misdirection

KI U is getting all teh luvs but where are the Link Between Worlds, Dream Team, and Triple Deluxe trophies and junk? And the lack of love for Starfox, DK, and METROID?

KIU is like the ******* that showed up late to the interview and half ***** and still got the job, while the guys who have been waiting an eon for the job (the aforementioned MiA'ers) got nada.

I mean my most wanteds didn't get in, but I knew what smash needed and that was more equal representation!
and... kid icarus only had 3 games.
know what else only has 3 games? pikmin and earthbound. and they both only have a single rep.
that is part of why kid icarus's huge amount of content within smash bros 4 is ridiculous.

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
The fact Sakurai cut :popo: from both 3DS and Wii U versions just confirms the 3DS is holding back the Wii U version.

Everyone who denied the fact the 3DS would limit the Wii U now look like idiots.

"If only the Wii U gets the Ice Climbers it'd be unfair to 3DS users"

The 3DS already has exclusive content, if anything it's the Wii U owners that are at the disadvantage here. Why are we Wii U users being punished because the 3DS isn't a good enough system? I seriously doubt there'd be a big outcry if the Wii U version just had one exclusive character. When Sakurai has come out and admitted the Ice Climbers couldn't work with the limited 3DS hardware, avarage people would be more than okay to have them in the Wii U version now.

And to rub salt on the wound he goes on and insults the Ice Climbers.

"Characters who are not likely to recieve a new game are low priority"

"Their lack of popularity made the decision to cut them easier"

I'm sorry, but the last time i checked the Ice Climbers are some of the most used characters in the competitive Smash scene. Just look at EVO, this year the IC placed at 7th place in the total rankings. Last year they scored SECOND. They are well recieved fan favorite characters, being one of the top 10 ranked characters in the Tier Lists for both Melee and Brawl. And Sakurai has the audacity to say the Ice Climbers are lacking in popularity.

On another note, Sakurai PROMISED us the 3DS version would NOT limit the Wii U version, but look what has happened. His hypocrisy and lies makes me dislike him as a developer and even as a person. He played a cruel and immature joke on Ridley fans, by leading them to believe Ridley had a chance of being playable. While all other non playable characters were addressed as such immediately, Ridley was only nodded at. Creating false hope for his major fanbase, just for a sick joke. Sakurai even did it with Mewtwo, when he interrupted a question that wasn't even asked to HIM, but for GameFreak. If Mewtwo was going to be in Smash 4, he bursts out and says "We're thinking about it" That was completely unecessary and it only caused people to be even more disappointed by the final outcome of this game.

Oh, and don't even get me started on how unprofessional his remark toward Waluigi fans was. "Just because you try hard, doesn't mean you'll make it to the battle."

I have lost all respect for Sakurai, for all of these reasons. And because of this i am going to buy Smash Wii U used. The man does not deserve my money.

I'll just leave this heart touching video here, just to show you how terrible of a man Sakurai really is. I am severely depressed because of him.

Last edited:

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
The fact Sakurai cut :popo: from both 3DS and Wii U versions just confirms the 3DS is holding back the Wii U version.

Everyone who denied the fact the 3DS would limit the Wii U now look like idiots.

The 3DS already has exclusive content, if anything it's the Wii U owners that are at the disadvantage here. I seriously doubt there'd be a big outcry if the Wii U version just had one exclusive character. When Sakurai has come out and admitted the Ice Climbers couldn't work with the limited 3DS hardware, avarage people would be more than okay to have them in the Wii U version now.

Sakurai PROMISED us the 3DS version would NOT limit the Wii U version, but look what has happened. His hypocrisy and lies makes me dislike him as a developer and even as a person. He played a cruel and immature joke on Ridley fans, by leading them to believe Ridley had a chance of being playable. While all other non playable characters were addressed as such immediately, Ridley was only nodded at. Creating false hope for his major fanbase, just for a sick joke. Sakurai even did it with Mewtwo, when he interrupted a question that wasn't even asked to HIM, but for GameFreak. If Mewtwo was going to be in Smash 4, he bursts out and says "We're thinking about it" That was completely unecessary and it only caused people to be even more disappointed by the final outcome of this game.

I have lost all respect for Sakurai, for all of these reasons. And because of this i am going to buy Smash Wii U used. The man does not deserve my money.
I completely respect your opinion, but out of sheer curiosity how hard will it be to find a used copy of the Wii U version? Most of the people buying it will keep it, it will be a bit of a challenge finding a used copy.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I completely respect your opinion, but out of sheer curiosity how hard will it be to find a used copy of the Wii U version? Most of the people buying it will keep it, it will be a bit of a challenge finding a used copy.
It might take a while to find one, but i am not in a hurry to get it anymore. Not after this. If i must wait, then wait i will do.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I'm disappointed that I have to work Thursday night AND Friday morning on the day of Smash release. If there was a midnight release at Best Buy, I can't go to it! And I don't get out till 5 on Friday so I won't be able to play the game till at least 6 pm!

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Not directly related, but I really wish that there was a Smash-themed New 3DS (or XL) coming out in two weeks. It'd be soooo much better than getting a normal Smash 3DS XL.

(I've learned people)

Oh right, and I have to go to school on the 3rd (but that was a given)

cutelittleoshawott

Smash Cadet

The 3DS already has exclusive content, if anything it's the Wii U owners that are at the disadvantage here. I seriously doubt there'd be a big outcry if the Wii U version just had one exclusive character. When Sakurai has come out and admitted the Ice Climbers couldn't work with the limited 3DS hardware, avarage people would be more than okay to have them in the Wii U version now.

And to rub salt on the wound he goes on and insults the Ice Climbers.

"Characters who are not likely to recieve a new game are low priority"

"Their lack of popularity made the decision to cut them easier"

I'm sorry, but the last time i checked the Ice Climbers are some of the most used characters in the competitive Smash scene. Just look at EVO, this year the IC placed at 7th place in the total rankings. Last year they scored SECOND. They are well recieved fan favorite characters, being one of the top 10 ranked characters in the Tier Lists for both Melee and Brawl. And Sakurai has the audacity to say the Ice Climbers are lacking in popularity.

On another note, Sakurai PROMISED us the 3DS version would NOT limit the Wii U version, but look what has happened. His hypocrisy and lies makes me dislike him as a developer and even as a person. He played a cruel and immature joke on Ridley fans, by leading them to believe Ridley had a chance of being playable. While all other non playable characters were addressed as such immediately, Ridley was only nodded at. Creating false hope for his major fanbase, just for a sick joke. Sakurai even did it with Mewtwo, when he interrupted a question that wasn't even asked to HIM, but for GameFreak. If Mewtwo was going to be in Smash 4, he bursts out and says "We're thinking about it" That was completely unecessary and it only caused people to be even more disappointed by the final outcome of this game.

3DS Version has not limited the Wii U Version. Sakurai said that upon release both games will have the same roster. So Sakurai didn't lie in that regard. The Ice Climbers would have to be announced for the Wii U Version but then removed cause 3DS can't handle them. That's holding it back.

Plus we may see something with Mewtwo. Heck both Mewtwo and IC may be DLC Characters. IC for Wii U and Mewtwo for 3DS. We have no idea what he has planned. As for the Ridley thing, this is Sakurai we are talking about. he does things like that.

cutelittleoshawott

Smash Cadet
Now that I've gotten to play the 3DS demo myself, I find the controls are a bit awkward and I have a bit of trouble doing up tilts properly. Despite that, I still have a lot of fun playing it.
Controls do take getting use to. Heck I FINALLY stop imaging the 3DS as a GC Controller as I would get the impulse to flick the c-stick that doesn't exsit on the normal 3DS/XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom