• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB3D Disappointments Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I wonder when we will get a Yoshi Newcomer. If so, Kamek would be a good choice.
Probably once the Yoshi series pushes a bit more sales. Kamek would definitely be my go-to Yoshi and/or Mario series newcomer, if not Paper Mario. Kamek could have a really cool moveset on his broom if he used all the kooky magic.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I had that in mind while making it. I kinda wanted to sponge up the negativity and keep it out of other threads.
I get where you're coming from. It's just that some people are so quick to express the things they don't like about something instead of the things they do like.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Probably once the Yoshi series pushes a bit more sales. Kamek would definitely be my go-to Yoshi and/or Mario series newcomer, if not Paper Mario. Kamek could have a really cool moveset on his broom if he used all the kooky magic.
He would be very unique indeed.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
While this game is great, there's a few minor problems.

First off, why is Dark Pit his own character? I am perfectly fine if he is the exact same character as Pit (as in weight, height, speed) as long as he uses unique abilities. But nope, just a few very minor changes. Ex-cuse me? Look at how many Uprising weapons there are! He even has his light gun (Never played Uprising, sorry for messing up the name!) in his render, but he only uses it for a Final Smash. That could have easily replaced his Down B. I do like Lucina and Dr. Mario though.

And now, the cuts. I can understand why Ice Climbers was cut, but why Wolf and Lucas? Especially Wolf, I think he deserved to be in more than Falco. Also, Sakurai, why is there no Airwing Final Smash for Falco, arrrgh! Lucas... I can understand. Mother has only three games, and unlikely to have a game soon.

I do find the 3DS stages to be a little underwhelming, but that's just me.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I get where you're coming from. It's just that some people are so quick to express the things they don't like about something instead of the things they do like.
I guess people want more reactions, so it's easier to do it with a negative response than a positive one. It shows even more on a competitive site like this one, where negativity is huge.

On the side note, the only thing I'm disappointed about is Falcondorf barely changing from Brawl. He should be a lot different by now, but still plays too similar. Aside from that, I don't anything "hugely disappointing" from the 3DS version.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Once again keeping to only 3DS-specific complaints...
  • Why didn't we get a Triple Deluxe or Kirby Fighters stage?
  • Why are there so many tips for the 3D Land stage alone?
  • Why does Classic Mode only have six stages? Dat's puny.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Once again keeping to only 3DS-specific complaints...
Why didn't we get a Triple Deluxe or Kirby Fighters stage?
Agreed. Even a Dedede drum dash stage would have been radical! And no Mario and Luigi stage? That's one of the best Nintendo handheld franchises. Even a Mario Golf: World Tour stage could have potential. Seems like they kinda failed to draw from some of their best handheld games in the process of recycling stages from Brawl... oh well, at least games like Advance Wars will always live on in our hearts! And NO TETRIS STAGE REALLY THAT SH** WAS HUGE ON GB

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
The only thing I am disappointed in is the alternate costumes and custom moves thus far.

The former has examples of being utilized very well (Fierce Deity Link, Alph, all the Koopalings, and the female alternates for Wii Fii Trainer, Robin, and Villager) but they could have pushed the envelope way further. Lucas should have been an alternate for Ness given Ness can switch his moves to resemble Lucas. Ditto Wolf with Fox (yes I know in Brawl he played differently too due to his weight but that would be asking a lot). Dry Bowser, Proto Man, Blood Falcon all seemed like easy candidates to be alternate costumes with name changes. Could go on.

As for custom moves, it is a great concept that I'm sure the developers came up with while discussing what they could do with certain characters (Mega Man comes to mind). But a lot of them just cause moves to become faster with less damage, slower with more, or add shock damage. Really kind of seems like they phoned it in for a lot of the characters.

These are both auxiliary features though and I think if Smash does have DLC new costumes / skins would be the easiest thing for the team to release.

j3lly

Smash Cadet
OK? You didn't get my point. My point was that Brawl has (mostly) its great roster addditions in Smash 4+ Newcomers who bring something new to the table (Excluding the clones of course). Out of variety, Smash 4's roster is superior.
Well, obviously just by the sheer number alone it's a "better" roster. It's the 4th installment, it would've been laughable if they kept roughly the same number of characters as Brawl's roster.

My point was is if you compare the newcomers and content that each series added, Brawl's superior. What Smash 4 added isn't as impressive as what Brawl added (especially since Smash 4 went back and removed characters for reasons only Sakurai will ever understand.)

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Well, obviously just by the sheer number alone it's a "better" roster. It's the 4th installment, it would've been laughable if they kept roughly the same number of characters as Brawl's roster.

My point was is if you compare the newcomers and content that each series added, Brawl's superior. What Smash 4 added isn't as impressive as what Brawl added (especially since Smash 4 went back and removed characters for reasons only Sakurai will ever understand.)
Hmm...i see. Now I get what you were saying.

Morbi

Scavenger

To be fair, Brawl went back and removed characters from Melee as well. I believe the reason that only Sakurai will understand could be ascertained as "time constraints."

j3lly

Smash Cadet
To be fair, Brawl went back and removed characters from Melee as well. I believe the reason that only Sakurai will understand could be ascertained as "time constraints."
OK, let's go back and look at the characters Brawl and Smash 4 removed.

Brawl removed:
Mewtwo (Which I already noted in a previous post)
Pichu (lol)
Dr. Mario (And not a single care was given)
Young Link (But we got Toon Link)
Roy (But we got Ike)

Aside from Mewtwo every cut had solid reasoning behind it, even the Mewtwo cut made sense considering Generation 1 would've had too much representation.

Now compare that to removing Wolf, Lucas and the IC and you're looking at two completely different scenarios.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Here is a comparison between Brawls roster and 4s roster

Brawls Update

Metroid got 1 new rep, Mario got a new rep and lost a clone, Zelda got a new rep and lost one, Pokemon lost 2 but gained 4, Stafox gained 1, Donkey Kong gained 1, 2 new kirby reps, fe got a newcomer and lost one, earthbound got a newcomer, 2 retros, 2 3rd party characters and 1 brand new series. Out of the cuts only 1 was unique and substantial with Mewtwo. Brawls roster was amazing and fair. Only the foolish complained (and ridley/mewtwo fans).

39 - 22 (Pure Clones arent used as counting towards the net gain of a roster)

Net Gain 17 more characters

1 unique character lost

Less time to work with, smaller development team

Smash 4's update

Lets compare Mario got 3 new reps, Pokemon got 1 lost 2, Kid icarus got 2 new reps, Fire Emblem got 2 new reps, 2 new 3rd parties -1 reps, Starfox loses -1 rep, Earthbound loses -1 rep, 1 new retro -1 retro, 3 custom characters, 4 new series reps. All 7 cuts were unique characters.

Yea this roster sure is fair and balanced. The data speaks for itself.

48 - 39

Net gain: 9 characters

7 unique character cuts (including mewtwo)

More Development time, bigger development team.

Last edited:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631

Brawls Update

Metroid got 1 new rep, Mario got a new rep and lost a clone, Zelda got a new rep and lost one, Pokemon lost 2 but gained 4, Stafox gained 1, Donkey Kong gained 1, 2 new kirby reps, fe got a newcomer and lost one, earthbound got a newcomer, 2 retros, 2 3rd party characters and 1 brand new series. Out of the cuts only 1 was unique and substantial with Mewtwo. Brawls roster was amazing and fair. Only the foolish complained (and ridley/mewtwo fans).

39 - 22 (Pure Clones arent used as counting towards a roster)

1 unique character lost

Smash 4's update

Lets compare Mario got 3 new reps, Pokemon got 1 lost 2, Kid icarus got 2 new reps, Fire Emblem got 2 new reps, 2 new 3rd parties -1 reps, Starfox loses -1 rep, Earthbound loses -1 rep, 1 new retro -1 retro, 3 custom characters, 4 new series reps. All 7 cuts were unique characters.

48 - 39

Net gain: 6 characters

This is certainly very hard to argue against...

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Yeah, and its a fantastic roster, but its just very hard to deliver something everyone can agree on. No matter what the roster is, people will find something to be salty about (not saying you in particular are a salty sailor). I was actually talking to a kid yesterday who said this would be the last Smash because a roster in Smash 5 would simply be too big XD

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Yeah, and its a fantastic roster, but its just very hard to deliver something everyone can agree on. No matter what the roster is, people will find something to be salty about (not saying you in particular are a salty sailor). I was actually talking to a kid yesterday who said this would be the last Smash because a roster in Smash 5 would simply be too big XD
Im salty but not just for my own accord but for a multitude of fanbases.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Forgot to mention in my first post. Why is Lucas not an alternate for Ness? Alph can be an alt for Olimar, and every Koopaling can be one for Jr, but not Lucas for Ness?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Forgot to mention in my first post. Why is Lucas not an alternate for Ness? Alph can be an alt for Olimar, and every Koopaling can be one for Jr, but not Lucas for Ness?
This. I wholeheartedly expected this to be the case.
Could be chocked up to time constraints. Then again, if you have to cut a character due to time, but not have enough time to keep four of his colors as a skin for someone else, how much time could you possibly have?

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice

Brawls Update

39 - 22 (Pure Clones arent used as counting towards the net gain of a roster)

1 unique character lost

Smash 4's update

48 - 39

Net gain: 9 characters

But it had most of Brawl's, and due to constraints they couldn't add much more...

Which is my complaint. The Wii U version could have been WAY better alone. Sells the system, tons of characters, HD. The 3DS is what holds us back.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
This whole vectoring thing has depleted almost all of my hype for this game. Not even Bowser Jr. can save me from this type of disappointment.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Because his standard attacks and general playstyle are different and doing that would be a massive "**** you he can never be DLC ha ha ha" to his fans. And as fond as Sakurai is of doing that, I doubt he'd go THAT far.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Because his standard attacks and general playstyle are different and doing that would be a massive "**** you he can never be DLC ha ha ha" to his fans. And as fond as Sakurai is of doing that, I doubt he'd go THAT far.
If Lucas is DLC, I will gladly retract my statement. But if there is indeed no plans for him, there was no reason to not make him an alt.

onjai_x3

Smash Cadet
NNID
onjai_x3
- You can't completely customize the controls.
- Smash Run should lead up to 3 matches instead of one.
- No adventure style modes like in the last 2 games.
- Mushroomy Kingdom... (unless it has the 1-2 variant)

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
Falco is a semi clone (probably less than that because it implies half) he has plenty of unique normals like ganondorf (who is also a semi clone.)
You can have a Labrador and a Basset Hound, but at the end of the day it's still 2 dogs.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Ike and Marth have a couple of similar specials, and Samus and Lucario have the same neutral B. Too clonish for me.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Golden Sun's complete and total absence while Kid Icarus gets two new characters and LOADS of content on the side.

You can say that Golden Sun didn't quite deserve a playable position, but this is beyond ridiculous.

There are numerous other complaints too, though. (Toon Link and Ganondorf still being clones).

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Not a thing. Not a single thing. For a handheld... no... for a fighting game in general, Smash for 3DS is pretty darn great, to say the least.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
If Mewtwo was in, It would be so awesome to have his Mega Evolution Y as a clone rather than Dark Pit (whom I motion we now start calling "Lazy Pit") or perhaps an alt of Mewtwo. There are so many other cool options for clones, such as Dr. Luigi (maybe not him in particular) or Dark Samus as a Samus semi-clone just to get some more Metroid in there.

FastWheels

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperFastWheels
Too many cuts (rip in piece ice climbers ;_;7)
Dark Pit
Smash Run having no online

And, that's about it. I'm still hyped as fudge for this game, tho.

Balloonicorn

Smash Cadet
The old "top tier" characters look to be dominating right now. I don't want to see more sheik, fox and falco, I want to see Rosalina, Little Mac, Robin, etc.
Granted this is very likely just because people are playing what they're more familiar with from Melee as the game develops but still...

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Falcondorf.

The least justified clone in Smash history(:4lucina::4darkpit: :4drmario: and even:pichumelee: are more justified clones choices) is still a fire trucking clone. I can't imagine any reason for Ganondorf to still be a clone other than pleasing his mains(which is BS since Smash has had drastic changes to characters before, including paying respect to source material:4bowser::4pit::4yoshi::4luigi::4olimar:Etc)
At this point, I believe that Sakurai just doesn't like Ganondorf. Keeping him as a clone was just lazy and disrespectful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom