• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB3D Disappointments Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
At the moment, disappointments for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS include:
  • the loss of Stage Builder (although I'm hoping it's in the Wii U version of SSB4).
  • the loss of Subspace Emissary/Adventure Mode (even a simplistic Super Smash Bros. Melee variant would've been fine with me).
  • the inability to use Circle Pad Pro with standard Nintendo 3DS while the "New" Nintendo 3DS/Super Nintendo 3DS still has the "C-Stick" functionality. Blatant cash-grab, sorry to say.
  • the limit of 2 songs per stage ("Pac-Man's Park" being unplayable on the Pac-Maze is an egregious example). If they're on the cartridge anyway, why not let songs be used on whatever stage(s) that they can be used on?
  • no online mode for Smash Run.
  • exclusivity of stages and the "Smash Run" mode to the Nintendo 3DS version. I would've said Trophies as well, but stages and an entire mode hold more importance to me. I believe that the Wii U version will be the best presentation of Super Smash Bros. 4, so I would like it to have as much content as it can. The Super Smash Bros. series even started out on home consoles in the first place.
  • the "only 3 taunts per stock" limitation for online matches. I don't engage in "taunt parties", but I still don't want to be unnecessarily limited like that.
  • no Target Test. Although I guess Target Blast "replaces" this, it would have been nice to see both included in tandem.
  • the lack of Board the Platforms. I guess Smash Run kind of has "Race to the Finish"?
  • no Event Matches.
  • no Boss Battles (probably the least important complaint due to a majority of the bosses being derived from the ones coded for Subspace Emissary, but still).
  • no Special Mode (like Special Brawl/Melee).
  • hardware issues on the Nintendo 3DS causing the complete removal of the Ice Climbers. It wasn't the sole factor, but it's a major one, in my opinion. They at least should've been left intact on the Wii U version.
  • limitations with changing control setups/button assignments.
  • the omission of Mewtwo, Ridley, and King K. Rool from the roster, as well as Solid Snake getting cut. On one hand, the Wii U version has this problem too, so it's not necessarily the fault of the Nintendo 3DS version. However, if the Wii U version was the only existing version, who knows how many more characters could have been added to the roster with freed-up development resources?
  • the inclusion of Dark Pit within his own character slot (him acting as palette swaps/alternate costumes for normal Pit would've been just fine, as you basically get the same effect - basically, the implementation that happened with Alph of Pikmin), Dr. Mario, and Lucina (basically Roy 2.0 - acting as an easily-made clone of Marth with adjusted properties), when those resources could have potentially been devoted to something else. Again, not solely the fault of the Nintendo 3DS version, but who knows?
  • no re-tooled Ganondorf, although the "Ganondorf with sword" custom move implementation for Warlock Punch is certainly a step in the right direction. Not specifically the 3DS's fault, though.
  • no re-tooled Toon Link with items and attacks derived from The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. Even limiting them to custom moves would've been great! Not specifically the 3DS's fault, though.
  • the loss of Sonic's "You're too slow!" taunt as well as Pit's Angel Ring attack. Not specifically the 3DS's fault, though.
  • underwhelming palette swaps (looking at you, Lucario). Not solely the Nintendo 3DS's fault, as the Wii U version will likely have the same issue.
  • Issues with Final Smashes (Peach's Final Smash should've changed (maybe derived from Super Princess Peach? Or "Peach Beam" or other Super Mario RPG abilities that I keep hearing about); Jigglypuff's Final Smash should have gained the slumber effect of Peach Blossom; Toon Link's Final Smash should've changed). Not specifically the 3DS's fault, though.
  • no simultaneous worldwide release. Even though I am likely getting the game(s) long after the initial release anyway, I feel that the unveiling should be fair for all territories (as it stands now, Japan was the only area that had a decent shot to avoid most spoilers). Discounting the early leaks, Pokemon X and Y was more or less able to achieve this (and I would think that's even text-heavier than the Super Smash Bros. series) even with Game Freak being a company based in Japan, so I see no reason other games can't accomplish the same feat, including SSB4. Apparently, this type of release would have delayed one (or both?) of the versions to early 2015.. Personally, I would have given a year of extra development to both versions of the game anyway (aiming for a Winter 2015 release that doesn't feel rushed), pushing for the development of more content.. Unfortunately, the Wii U version of SSB4 is expected to be a "system seller" and seems to be "necessitated" by some to be out as soon as possible, so there's not much I can do regarding "company finances" and investors and such.
  • "retro" Mute City. We already have a "fully-fledged" Mute City from Super Smash Bros. Melee as well as a "stage clone of Mute City" (Port Town Aero Dive from Super Smash Bros. Brawl)... I'll hold off judgment until experiencing more of the stage, but I feel like either a different F-Zero location could've been used for retro purposes, or Mute City should've been brought back as a veteran/returning stage. At least the new musical arrangement seems quite promising, from what I'm reading (although that's 4 versions of Mute City music, including the original, that have appeared in Super Smash Bros... >_>)
  • the retro "Game Boy" stage being a Kirby stage instead of one dedicated to the Game Boy console in general. I'll have to hold off more judgment for this stage as well, but I would've liked it to cycle through scenes of multiple notable Game Boy games (the Nintendo 3DS stage from version 0.9 of Super Smash Flash 2 had the right idea; I loved the Tetris implementation!). The usage of a general "Dream Land" location again bothered me a bit (since Dreamland 64 and Green Greens both essentially serve as one and could have possibly been brought back. Additionally, Kirby has a number of other vibrant appealing locations that could be used), but I'd like to explore the stage more instead of dismissing it outright so early. Sigh...I was really looking forward to a "Game Boy" Universe icon, though!
  • Kyurem being relegated to a Poke Ball Pokemon instead of properly appearing with Reshiram and Zekrom as "stage bosses/background characters/stage hazards" on the "Unova Pokemon League" stage. It's partially his battle theme, too, you know! (well, at least in Pokemon Black/White)
  • tentatively (until someone confirms sightings of them), the issue that Dialga and Yveltal not appearing as Master Ball Pokemon, while their counterparts, Palkia (plus Giratina) and Xerneas, do. To an extent, Spear Pillar's entire omission bothers me, as I'd prefer that Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina all appear exclusively on that stage as "stage bosses" or whatever.
I suspect that a lot of the unused modes will be "restored" in the Wii U version, but I feel like the Nintendo 3DS version could have been much greater than it is..

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
-Cutting Ice climbers, Snake, Mewtwo, Lucas, and Wolf.
-Metroid, Donkey Kong, Warioware, Yoshi, G & W, and Star Fox having past stages to represent them and not new stages. All of them even have games on handhelds.
-Lack of challenge in getting unlockable characters.
-Too much Kid Icarus and Mario.
-Dark Pit
-duplicate final Smashes, at least make some of them look different.
-Falcondorf
-No adventure mode

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Ugh don't get me started on Dark Pit. As a character he's good, but he should have been an alternate costume along all his alternate costumes. Alternate costumeception. He could have easily had a different personality from Pit( instead of just being Pit with a Dark Pit Palete swap.) Examples Alph the Koopalings. I'm pretty sure Sakurai might have been able to fit a character like Wolf or Lucas in there at the expense of not having Lucina, Dark Pit, or even Dr. Mario. Or maybe he could've put those characters in if he didn't obsess so much about Kid Icarus Uprising, all the menus, and ( honorable mention) Luigi's nose.

fearless.leader

Smash Apprentice
Dark Pit and Duck hunt dog over Lucas!??!? AGHHGHHGHGHGH

some of the roster choices are just a bit..weird.. thats it for me though.

Im not sure why people gripe so much over the blast zones. im sure its part of the games balance (when i say that im hoping this game HAS balance unlike brawl)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
The only major complaints from me?
-Dark Pit
- Poor Stage Selection.
EDIT: Oh, and the fact that the 3ds version will deny me ICs totally.

Last edited:

j3lly

Smash Cadet
Brawl's roster was pretty good, but it sure wasn't superiror. Smash 4 has the best roster by far.
Go down the list of all the Newcomers Brawl added:

Pit: Amazing addition, fan favorite and added more nostalgia-goodness.
Wario: Another great addition, fan favorite and a classic Nintendo character.
ZSS: Nothing Earth-shattering but a very welcomed addition.
Ike: Perfect selection, finally an American FE rep.
Diddy Kong: Much needed DK rep and was heavily requested.
Meta Knight: Another awesome addition, fits perfectly with the roster.
Lucas: One of the most popular and most requested characters from one of the most beloved games in Japan.
King DDD: Adds another villain and completed the Kirby trio.
Olimar: Another fan favorite from another amazing series.
Pokemon Trainer: Interesting to say the least, my only gripe was limiting him to 1st gen Pokemon.
R.O.B.: The "WTF character" done right, cool addition.
Wolf: Completed the Star Fox trio and added another villain.
Lucario: Obvious selection, needed a 4th gen rep and his popularity warranted him a spot on the roster.
Toon Link: Can't complain here, WW Link was also heavily requested.
Sonic: No comment, most requested 3rd party character by FAR.
Snake: I guess you could call this a "bad" choice but his uniqueness and popularity made up for it. Snake's a classic video game character.

Go down that list and point out a single bad addition. The main gripe with Brawl was that it lacked some heavily requested characters (Ridley, Isaac, etc.) and Mewtwo's exclusion. Top to bottom it was the perfect roster and the development team made a concentrated effort to make clone characters unique.

Smash 4's roster had a number of questionable selections, brought back full fledged clones, had a NUMBER of unwarranted exclusions and still left the Big Three most requested characters out of the roster. There was no excuse this time, Sakurai knew who the community wanted and it sure as Hell wasn't Dark Pit.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
So update: apparently IC are less of a priority because they’re not due for another game anytime soon/ever/the series wasn’t successful. Really, Sakurai? Because R.O.B. was successful? And not to mention he said KI:U was A ONE OFF yet we’re essentially seeing a bit of favoritism toward it... I could literally make a list of new clone characters I’d rather have than Lazy Pit.

IgnazS

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0688-5397-9905
-No new FS for some characters (think like sheik, toon link, falco, etc.).
-Cut characters (Some of them i know why they aren´t, but it still hurts man!).
-No new stages for some franchises (Metroid, Donkey Kong, even a new WarioWare/Wario Land stage would have been fine!).
-Not "My Music" in 3DS (Back in Wii U?!, but there are some many songs that could have been added for this game. Even though, mp3ds it´s a cool feature!).

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Go down the list of all the Newcomers Brawl added:

Pit: Amazing addition, fan favorite and added more nostalgia-goodness.
Wario: Another great addition, fan favorite and a classic Nintendo character.
ZSS: Nothing Earth-shattering but a very welcomed addition.
Ike: Perfect selection, finally an American FE rep.
Diddy Kong: Much needed DK rep and was heavily requested.
Meta Knight: Another awesome addition, fits perfectly with the roster.
Lucas: One of the most popular and most requested characters from one of the most beloved games in Japan.
King DDD: Adds another villain and completed the Kirby trio.
Olimar: Another fan favorite from another amazing series.
Pokemon Trainer: Interesting to say the least, my only gripe was limiting him to 1st gen Pokemon.
R.O.B.: The "WTF character" done right, cool addition.
Wolf: Completed the Star Fox trio and added another villain.
Lucario: Obvious selection, needed a 4th gen rep and his popularity warranted him a spot on the roster.
Toon Link: Can't complain here, WW Link was also heavily requested.
Sonic: No comment, most requested 3rd party character by FAR.
Snake: I guess you could call this a "bad" choice but his uniqueness and popularity made up for it. Snake's a classic video game character.

Go down that list and point out a single bad addition. The main gripe with Brawl was that it lacked some heavily requested characters (Ridley, Isaac, etc.) and Mewtwo's exclusion. Top to bottom it was the perfect roster and the development team made a concentrated effort to make clone characters unique.

Smash 4's roster had a number of questionable selections, brought back full fledged clones, had a NUMBER of unwarranted exclusions and still left the Big Three most requested characters out of the roster. There was no excuse this time, Sakurai knew who the community wanted and it sure as Hell wasn't Dark Pit.
12 out of 16 characters you listed are in this iteration of smash, plus Megaman, Little Mac, An Animal Crossing Rep, Palutena (yes she was highly requested), Dark Pit (I hear Japan is a big fan of him...wasted potential here though), and other amazing addititions. Smash Bros 4's roster is amazing, it just could've been better.

Don't fret dear, Mewtwo has a chance as DLC or next time.
I bet if a Positives Thread was made, there wouldn't be half as many posts as there are here.
Too True.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
I don't know what people were expecting from a portable Smash game.. I think some of us are spoiled.
Besides a few minor gripes on my part that I think I mentioned earlier in this topic (R.I.P. Wolf and Lucas, stupid full clones except Dr. Mario cause he's cool, no U.S. Luigi Costume....), I still think it'll be pretty good. c:

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
-The stage selection in 3ds is pretty poor. Besides the gem that is magicant, and the adorable nintendogs living room...the rest is kinda "meh".
-No proper shiny costumes for lucario, greninja, jigglypuff, and charizard.... ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?
-Dr. Mario... Seriously just add a costume, and make mario tornado a custom move...Done and done. If they had new moves like some virus attack, or a really cool dr. mario puzzle style final smash I would be just fine with it. But this is pathetic.
-No new zelda rep... I don't even like zelda that much, but its pretty dumb and they deserve a new one. Its been sooo long.
-No new samus rep. Seriously I don't care who it is, ridley....or...ridley... Or that one space guy? Or the green girl. IDK just somebody okay?
-No mario bros 2 stage.... I love that one...
-No smash 64 stages at all, why?
-Why is brinstar so ugly? Go look at it guys, its absolutely hideous looking.

Last edited:

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
So update: apparently IC are less of a priority because they’re not due for another game anytime soon/ever/the series wasn’t successful. Really, Sakurai? Because R.O.B. was successful? And not to mention he said KI:U was A ONE OFF yet we’re essentially seeing a bit of favoritism toward it... I could literally make a list of new clone characters I’d rather have than Lazy Pit.

According to this logic Captain Falcon and Mr. Game and Watch have been cut. Neither seem likely to get a sequel anytime soon, GnW especially. Though I'm sure there would have been blood to pay if C. Falcon would of gotten the axe.

Still, at this point, I've seen Sakurai contradict him self so many times its just upsetting to say the least. I loved using Lucina in Fire Emblem Awakening but his reasoning for "No Chrom wouldn't be unique, but Lucina is ok" is so irritating...to put it lightly.

war80

Smash Rookie
my disappointment

people complaining for character they wanted in and didnt make it.

Darrylols

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2880-7964
What is so intensive about IC that there are "hardware limitations"?
I main IC on Brawl and I'm honestly not to bugged out on him not being back but I'd LOVE to have him back.

Aside from that I'm VERY pleased of mah boy from my fav game of all time, Animal Crossing, presenting, the villager

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Then you should see projared's video comparing melee/brawl/ssb43ds and be proven wrong. I played the demo too and it is definitely faster than brawl, but slower than melee.
This game is for sure its own game. It isn't brawl 2 or melee 2 it's in between. I spent about an hour playing it last night for the first time. It was great I could sit on the toilet and play it to boot. I played all 5 characters I had available. The in game recovery from aerial moves was damn near twice as fast as anything in brawl. 5 minutes in I was already doing down throws to air combos. Hit confirmation feels much more rewarding compared to brawl with the sound effects being better than dull thuds like it brawl. I can't wait for the final version. The tiny controls will take some getting used to but that's a hill everyone has to climb.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
What is so intensive about IC that there are "hardware limitations"?
It'll make their resurrection in the inevitable Special Edition Smash Bros for New 3DS that much artificially sweeter.

Last edited:

j3lly

Smash Cadet
12 out of 16 characters you listed are in this iteration of smash, plus Megaman, Little Mac, An Animal Crossing Rep, Palutena (yes she was highly requested), Dark Pit (I hear Japan is a big fan of him...wasted potential here though), and other amazing addititions. Smash Bros 4's roster is amazing, it just could've been better.

Don't fret dear, Mewtwo has a chance as DLC or next time.
OK? That wasn't my point. Lucas, Wolf and the Ice Climbers were removed, we STILL didn't get Ridley or Mewtwo and full fledged clones like Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were added.

I'm not saying the roster is bad, context considered, Brawl's was superior.

Slyphoria

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SquidWithGlasses
3DS FC
4184-1884-8690
While I wish there were more newcomers, my biggest issues are no online Smash Run and a lot of bad stages. They were bad in Melee, they were bad in Brawl, get them out. Brinstar, Jungle Japes, Mushroomy Kingdom are all absolutely terrible stages.

Other than those two, I'm extremely happy with the game. Most of the rest of these posters will get used to most of their problems anyways and it won't really be a problem anymore.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Oh yeah.

Hoping these are remade in the Wii U version ;_;

Pretty lame choices as far as stages they brought back from past games...

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
- there are items again in this game
-final destination isnt the only stage
- fox isnt the only character
-game seems too balanced...
- some modes promote casual gaming

dont buy.

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
Honestly don't know how anyone could still consider Falco a clone. It was certainly the case in Melee but once Brawl hit he became a very different character, and even more so now.
All his moves are the same as Fox's.
Yes, they have different PROPERTIES, but its laser, shine dash, reflector, and fire up burst.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I hate the fact that my character of choice didn't get in. The Rich Homie Quan for Smash 4 thread was really big.

Guess I need to endlessly vent about it.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
You'd think all the complaining about IC would deter me from supporting them, but honestly the more I see them the cuter they are and the more I want them back in Smash. Oh well, I'm sure we'll have them on the next game if it gets a handheld installment or at the very least there is still a sliver of hope they could be in the Wii U version. They seem to be pretty popular.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
OK? That wasn't my point. Lucas, Wolf and the Ice Climbers were removed, we STILL didn't get Ridley or Mewtwo and full fledged clones like Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were added.

I'm not saying the roster is bad, context considered, Brawl's was superior.
OK? You didn't get my point. My point was that Brawl has (mostly) its great roster addditions in Smash 4+ Newcomers who bring something new to the table (Excluding the clones of course). Out of variety, Smash 4's roster is superior.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
OK? You didn't get my point. My point was that Brawl has (mostly) its great roster addditions in Smash 4+ Newcomers who bring something new to the table (Excluding the clones of course). Out of variety, Smash 4's roster is superior.
Agreed. While some people's highly sought after characters didn't make it, they're just going have to warm the bench until next time. That said, I'm in the same boat, but I know when a request of mine is farfetched (lookin' at you, Kamek). The roster is pretty great and it's going to be competitive (who cares if it's Brawl's physics engine? Watch ProJared's vid about it!)

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Agreed. While some people's highly sought after characters didn't make it, they're just going have to warm the bench until next time. That said, I'm in the same boat, but I know when a request of mine is farfetched (lookin' at you, Kamek). The roster is pretty great and it's going to be competitive (who cares if it's Brawl's physics engine? Watch ProJared's vid about it!)
I wonder when we will get a Yoshi Newcomer. If so, Kamek would be a good choice.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
The cut characters: Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wolf (Snake I guess too)

Some franchises don't get a brand new original stage.

Dark Pit's render has his signature Staff in his character render but only uses it during his Final Smash. Where the hell is Hades or Medusa...

Medusa isn't shared with Palutena's slot... But kinda expected.

Toon Link and Ganondorf don't get a proper rework they deserve.

2 Songs per stages. Weird.

The 5 proposed hidden new comers may not be in the game and just leaves lots of grey space in the character selection screen.

No Ms. Pac-Man alt.

Orange Yoshi.. Project M spoiled me!

Dr. Mario's Final Smash LOL

Lucina could have had a new moveset completely (as well as Chrom if they stuck with him). With many classes and jobs in Fire Emblem Awakening... C'mon. Bleh.

Rayman isn't an Assist Trophy like I had hoped. Wii U version then?

Lack of indie-party music. Some I wanted but highly doubt would happen. Would have been great to play Smash Run with Cave Story, VVVVV and Mighty Switch Force tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom