• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB3D Disappointments Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Now the game is out. Here's a new one:
- No dual audio options

Aside from Fox's, I don't mind the English voices at all, but still would have preferred being able to use Japanese audio. Mainly because I played Xenoblade and Awakening in Japanese and I just like their sound more. :p

Ultimate Mooch

Smash Rookie
NNID
UltimateMooch
3DS FC
1349-6928-6613
My disappointment lies solely in online play.
That half-second delay really pisses me off, and I hope that the WiiU version destroys this gimping disappointment.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
That half-second delay really pisses me off, and I hope that the WiiU version destroys this gimping disappointment.
Wait, seriously? Input delay or some sort of lag? If it's input delay then all is lost. You can't have input delays in fighting games.

Ultimate Mooch

Smash Rookie
NNID
UltimateMooch
3DS FC
1349-6928-6613
Wait, seriously? Input delay or some sort of lag? If it's input delay then all is lost. You can't have input delays in fighting games.
Input delay, I rarely get lag unless playing with 4 people and half of them are from different corners of the world.
It really messes with your reaction time, and as an aggressive Greninja, I just can't have that. It usually turns into a roll battle because I can't do what I want to do.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I think Palutena should of been allowed to use custom moves online. The custom moves are her main gimmick for crying out loud. Better yet, have a custom move section in "For Fun" mode.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
Now the game is out. Here's a new one:
- No dual audio options

Aside from Fox's, I don't mind the English voices at all, but still would have preferred being able to use Japanese audio. Mainly because I played Xenoblade and Awakening in Japanese and I just like their sound more. :p
Now I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but I often see a lot of people criticize a game for lacking dual audio. I personally never really saw the appeal of wanting to hear something I can't understand over something I can understand. Can you shed some light on why so many people, especially English natives, prefer Japanese audio?

On a side note, the previous three Smash games didn't have dual audio, so it makes sense that this one wouldn't have it.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I think Palutena should of been allowed to use custom moves online. The custom moves are her main gimmick for crying out loud. Better yet, have a custom move section in "For Fun" mode.
I would also be completely okay with the ability to 'opt-in' for For Glory matches with customs.

[OCK]LLama

Smash Cadet
Lack of actually good/comfortable C-Stick adapter or counterpart to the C-Stick

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Now I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but I often see a lot of people criticize a game for lacking dual audio. I personally never really saw the appeal of wanting to hear something I can't understand over something I can understand. Can you shed some light on why so many people, especially English natives, prefer Japanese audio?

On a side note, the previous three Smash games didn't have dual audio, so it makes sense that this one wouldn't have it.
I second this.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
The way I see it is that some people prefer the sound of the Japanese voices, regardless of whether they understand it or not. For example, I prefer Shulk's Japanese voice over his English voice due to his tone and voice sounding more 'gentle' than his deeper, hammy English voice.

Smash isn't a dialogue heavy game or anything, it isn't a huge loss that there isn't dual audio but it's still rather disappointing.

It may not appeal to some but it certainly appeal to others, and it doesn't hurt to have options!

Plus, it would help with my Japanese haha. (For those who speak lines)

Last edited:

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
The way I see it is that some people prefer the sound of the Japanese voices, regardless of whether they understand it or not. For example, I prefer Shulk's Japanese voice over his English voice due to his tone and voice sounding more 'gentle' than his deeper, hammy English voice.

Smash isn't a dialogue heavy game or anything, it isn't a huge loss that there isn't dual audio but it's still rather disappointing.

It may not appeal to some but it certainly appeal to others, and it doesn't hurt to have options!

I see. I'm glad that you answered in a calm manner, at the very least. Smash isn't really a game where dual audio would make a difference either way, but I understand now why some folks might prefer it.

I've learned a fair amount of Japanese myself, but only for when I actually need to use it. Also, I played Awakening and Xenoblade with English audio, and I found both had fantastic English dubs. That's not all too relevant though, so make of it what you will.

The Fryman

Smash Rookie
The lack of more online options. Why can't I play 2V2 with a friend? Why can't I play team stock? Why aren't there more stage options in glory mode. I know Nintendo isn't exactly known for their stellar online play but come on..

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman

@ sweq32 sweq32 , as @ Jae Jae said, it's mostly due to the sound of the Japanese voices - Rule of Cool is what I thought of it as. It's not integral to the gaming experience (as long as the English voices are decent, which varies from person to person). I personally have loved all of the English voices (and the Japanese voices that get retained in the English release) in Super Smash Bros. series so far (holding judgment for the voices of Fox, Falco, and Ness in Super Smash Bros. 4, though, as well as most of the newcomers and voice updates), although there are times where I wish I could fight with Ike while using his Japanese voice. Don't get me wrong, Ike's English voice actor does an amazing job for the role (although the "I fight for my friends" line is amazing for a slightly different reason XD), but the battle cries of Ike's Japanese voice actor are just so fierce-sounding! And I agree - it doesn't hurt to have options (and if the Japanese voice data is on the English-released game disk, I would rather have the data be usable than just sitting on the disk quietly wasting space).

-----------------------------------

Regarding the thread's topic, aside from my disappointment that the English and Japanese voices cannot be toggled on Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, another one is the lack of Golden Sun representation. The "Battle Scene/Final Boss" arrangement from Super Smash Bros. Brawl inclined me to actually play the Golden Sun series (because I felt like spoiling that particular track would just be wrong somehow), so seeing Golden Sun not even getting a mention is just disheartening (let alone Isaac not becoming a playable character in Super Smash Bros. 4 as of now...sigh..at least there's Super Smash Flash 2 to look forward to). But yeah, it just seems wrong that some Nintendo series don't even get a musical mention while so many other non-Nintendo-specific series manage to get indirect advertising on the Super Smash Bros. website's music section (such as Dark Souls receiving a mention over Golden Sun in Motoi Sakuraba's website credits..I know it's popular and all, but still). Anyway, just a minor gripe I had..

HellTyrant

Smash Cadet
Premium
There's no intro to the game this time

The main menu layout is ergonomically displeasing to navigate

Some really ridiculous stages, good thing for the Ω feature

Wasted slots on Zero Suit Samus, Dark Pit, Toon Link, Robin... they're all useless clones or possible alternate forms

No online for Smash Run, and the online lag is immensely annoying when you're trying to play a casual match

There's no option to change the menu music, at least not permanently

Those are my biggest and all important complains, other than that it just plays weird compared to the vastly superior Melee which has edge grabs, chain grabs, dash dancing and wavedashing, not to mention to all important L-Cancel

Last edited:

GLStephen

Smash Cadet
My biggest disappointment is that the game existing lead to me having to read and feel the full force of someone calling Robin a "useless clone or possible alternate form."

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Well there's a few things I am disappointed with
  • Smash Run overall isn't that great because you run around for five minutes in a boring, confusing cluster trying to get good stat boosts and then do a one minute match that doesn't feel fun because it's so short in comparison to the first segment. And of course, it has no online.
  • Not being able to bring a friend along to With Anyone Team Battles. This is a basic feature that somehow wasn't implemented in this game from the year 2014. The whole fun of Team Battles is that you have a strategy and you can work together with that strategy in mind, not just teaming up with a random person whose character you don't even know until the match starts. They could have AT LEAST put it in For Glory where it's only about strategy.
  • Mii Fighters and custom parts/special moves aren't usable online, even in For Fun. Seriously, this sucks. Personally, I think they should have made them usable in For Fun or at the very least made two modes for For Fun - one where custom parts and Mii Fighters are allowed and one without either of those being allowed.
  • Trophy Rush is quite boring and repetitive, and you don't earn that much from it compared to something like Classic.
  • You are unable to set any track you'd like to any stage. I really don't understand why. If I want to listen to Minor Circuit while I play the original Final Destination stage, why can I not?
  • You still can't turn off Pity Final Smashes without turning off Final Smashes altogether (this doesn't bother me too much, but it's still a basic thing that should be an option).
  • I may think of more, and I'll add it in if I do.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Since apparently I complain 90% of the time, I figured I might as well redirect that 90% here.
Let's begin :

- No online Smash Run. I mean, this was 100% of the appeal of the mode for me. Without online it's just open world SSE with power-ups, and the only reason I'll be playing it will likely be for the Challenges.

- Mushroomy Kingdom being back. The 3D Land stage fully takes it gimmick, leaving it only bringing it's cosmetic design, which is extremely ugly.

- So many challenges related to beating modes with every characters. Classic and All-Star I understand, but what about 100-Man Smash and Smash Run? What value is there in beating it with everyone? Bragging rights?

- No Special Smash. I cannot express how much this saddens me. Where's 100% Speedy Reflect FIXED Smash in this game? Those matches would be perfect for the "For Fun" online mode, as well.

- It seems like the Omega forms of the stages were introduced less to cater to tournament players, and more to allow each stage to be as crazy as possible. There are no viable stages except for Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, and arguably Prism Tower. While I'm not a tournament player, it is a little irksome to have crazy hazards in every stage.

- the imbalance of Little Mac having 16 colors, eight being dedicated to a palette swap while an actual costume is only two. Meanwhile Wario loses 8 color swaps.

- The Main Menu is annoying to navigate.

----
With the exception of the Special Smash complaint, these are all very minor.

Muttley

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3695-0540-9836
I guess my biggest disappointment is that you can't really build fighters for use online. Why waste time getting custom moves and armor if it just resets to default when playing in For Glory mode?

Also, omega forms keep me from playing the actual stages. But that's probably more of a disappointment with myself than the game.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
It took a while for me to notice but I'm displeased with death sounds. Some are OK. A lot are either very soft (one of Meta Knight's two is barely audible) or just plain nonexistent. Pac-Man? Could have had his original arcade death sound. Duck Hunt? You can hear him yipping all the way into the background but nothing for a normal KO? I don't even hear Mario or G&W who had death sounds previously.

My biggest disappointment is that the game existing lead to me having to read and feel the full force of someone calling Robin a "useless clone or possible alternate form."
As he didn't so much as mention Lucina, I'm sure he just got their names mixed up. I hope.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
It took a while for me to notice but I'm displeased with death sounds. Some are OK. A lot are either very soft (one of Meta Knight's two is barely audible) or just plain nonexistent. Pac-Man? Could have had his original arcade death sound. Duck Hunt? You can hear him yipping all the way into the background but nothing for a normal KO? I don't even hear Mario or G&W who had death sounds previously.

As he didn't so much as mention Lucina, I'm sure he just got their names mixed up. I hope.
Still doesn't change the fact he didn't even check which characters he complained about.

HellTyrant

Smash Cadet
Premium
Zero Suit Samus? Wha? The only thing she shares in common with Samus is her name..
I just dislike that they made the right choice in Brawl to have Zero Suit Samus as part of Samus instead of wasting a character slot which could have been used for say Shadow The Hedgehog, Ice Climbers, maybe Bass from Megaman etc

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I just dislike that they made the right choice in Brawl to have Zero Suit Samus as part of Samus instead of wasting a character slot which could have been used for say Shadow The Hedgehog, Ice Climbers, maybe Bass from Megaman etc
You do realize that those characters making it in the game had zero effect on the ones you mentioned making it in? Especailly in the case of Icies?

HellTyrant

Smash Cadet
Premium
You do realize that those characters making it in the game had zero effect on the ones you mentioned making it in? Especailly in the case of Icies?
That's probably true. More importantly though I would rather not see two Links, two Pits or Samus and Zero Suit Samus wasting space on the character select screen when they could have just made them into one character

For example with Olimar, there is an option to switch to Alph that's awesome, now why couldn't they do that with the other clones?

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
That's probably true. More importantly though I would rather not see two Links, two Pits or Samus and Zero Suit Samus wasting space on the character select screen when they could have just made them into one character
I agree with not liking having two Pits, but I've gotten over it myself.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215

For example with Olimar, there is an option to switch to Alph that's awesome, now why couldn't they do that with the other clones?
You do understand the technological limits of the 3DS right? :glare:

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Samus and Zero Suit Samus are separate due to technical difficulties on the 3DS. It was either they be separate or ZSS gets cut.
Frankly them being together makes no difference.

Lord Horatio

Smash Apprentice
- Classic mode no longer has bonus stages at all
- Ness has been nerfed again.
- The mechanics feel kind of stiff (though that could just be me I guess)

Ipo

Smash Rookie
My biggest upset with this game, looking past a lot of things, is the time constraints.

I don't like the 2 minutes you get for online matches and that 1v1 is timed even though its a stock match.

1 minute matches in smash run is ridiculous, takes all the point out of the 5 minute build up.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I really wish the final battles in Smash Run weren't time battles.
In all the souped-up chaos in those matches it's hard enough to be the last one standing, much less sufficiently kill.

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
Main issue I have is no online for Smash Run, otherwise I'm loving it. An adventure mode like Melee would've been cool though. Fox's new voice isn't great though and I liked Falco's Brawl accent more than his Smash 4 one XD

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Disappointments in this game? Where do I start?

Roster
Easily the most underwhelming batch of newcomers in any Smash game (Melee included). I can't find myself interested to play a single newcomer. It's sad when all the characters I'm excited to play were Brawl newcomers.
No new heavyweights.
Most newcomers either being brand new or retro throwbacks with almost nothing in between.
The only villain characters added were ones that hardly anyone wanted.
A ton of newcomers having counter as their Down B.
Ice Climbers cut.
Wolf and Lucas cut.
Dark Pit, Doctor Mario, and Lucina.
None of the three most requested characters for Smash 4 after Megaman.
THREE Mii characters each with TWELVE unique specials. Way too much development time wasted on them.
Palutena of all characters getting 12 custom moves.
Four Fire Emblem characters.
Two Donkey Kong/Metroid characters.
Little Mac gets 16 alts yet Wario gets 4 of his alts axed.
Ganondorf stays a clone.
Characters who desperately need new final smashes like Donkey Kong and Falco keep their final Smashes when characters like Kirby and Pit get new ones.

Stages
Easily the worst batch of stages in any Smash Bros. game.
No new stages are neutral.
The "competitive" version of the stages is FD only with no Battlefield option.
The ratio of old stages to new stages is massive.
Many of the new stages are lazy 8-16 bit in order to save resources.
Four new Mario stages.
Not a single new Donkey Kong or Metroid stage.

Sound
With a few great exceptions, most of the music is either from previous Smash Bros. titles or ripped directly from their games. Barely any remixes.
The collection of music is incredibly sparse and some of the song choices are questionable.
Fox and Falco sound awful.
Ike did not get new voice clips so his voice does not match his new model at all.
Marth still ****ing speaks Japanese.
King Dedede sounds even more like a robot than he did in Brawl, which is saying A LOT.
Dark Pit gets his own unique victory music when almost no one else does.
The new Final Destination theme is cringeworthy.

Gameplay
The game is slow and floaty without momentum on jumps.
Massive blast zones combined with vectoring means everyone lives for even longer than in ****ing BRAWL.
Shield rolls buffed dramatically, aerials nerfed dramatically, rewarding defensive and campy playstyles.
The 3DS controls are nowhere near adequate to play Smash Bros.
I could say a lot of things about character balance here, but Diddy being nerfed into the ground has made me especially mad.
Most of the time, online is completely unplayable due to awful lag.

Modes
Smash Run is underwhelming. Not customizable and not online. It feels more like grinding than anything else.
No adventure mode of any kind.
Break the targets replaced by Homerun Contest+Angry Birds.

General
Kid Icarus Uprising is one of my favorite games of all times, but the amount of representation that it got in Smash 4 is disgusting. It has infinitely more representation than Donkey Kong, Metroid, and even KIRBY.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton, but this sums up most of my disappointment.

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
-After feeling the graphics are way better than expected, it hurts seeing some trophy models so vaguely done (Cordelia's pegasus comes to mind). Still, there are some like Rainbow Road which look pretty neat.
-Robin's lack of Grima skin. It was such an easy way to get one more villain to the roster!
-Smash Run's "random" stipulation. Poor Ganondorf saw failure in two 'Race to the finish' and one 'Jump' contests. It's really frustrating.
-For some reason, All-Star CPUs go from harmless to combo-crazy randomly. This has costed me more attempts than I'll ever assume because of being caught off-guard.
-Getting custom moves duplicates. The genius who thought of that should be fired.
-
Items on Classic.

And I'm still in love with this game, of course!

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
Disappointments in this game? Where do I start?

Roster
Easily the most underwhelming batch of newcomers in any Smash game (Melee included). I can't find myself interested to play a single newcomer. It's sad when all the characters I'm excited to play were Brawl newcomers.
No new heavyweights.
Most newcomers either being brand new or retro throwbacks with almost nothing in between.
The only villain characters added were ones that hardly anyone wanted.
A ton of newcomers having counter as their Down B.
Ice Climbers cut.
Wolf and Lucas cut.
Dark Pit, Doctor Mario, and Lucina.
None of the three most requested characters for Smash 4 after Megaman.
THREE Mii characters each with TWELVE unique specials. Way too much development time wasted on them.
Palutena of all characters getting 12 custom moves.
Four Fire Emblem characters.
Two Donkey Kong/Metroid characters.
Little Mac gets 16 alts yet Wario gets 4 of his alts axed.
Ganondorf stays a clone.
Characters who desperately need new final smashes like Donkey Kong and Falco keep their final Smashes when characters like Kirby and Pit get new ones.

Stages
Easily the worst batch of stages in any Smash Bros. game.
No new stages are neutral.
The "competitive" version of the stages is FD only with no Battlefield option.
The ratio of old stages to new stages is massive.
Many of the new stages are lazy 8-16 bit in order to save resources.
Four new Mario stages.
Not a single new Donkey Kong or Metroid stage.

Sound
With a few great exceptions, most of the music is either from previous Smash Bros. titles or ripped directly from their games. Barely any remixes.
The collection of music is incredibly sparse and some of the song choices are questionable.
Fox and Falco sound awful.
Ike did not get new voice clips so his voice does not match his new model at all.
Marth still ****ing speaks Japanese.
King Dedede sounds even more like a robot than he did in Brawl, which is saying A LOT.
Dark Pit gets his own unique victory music when almost no one else does.
The new Final Destination theme is cringeworthy.

Gameplay
The game is slow and floaty without momentum on jumps.
Massive blast zones combined with vectoring means everyone lives for even longer than in ****ing BRAWL.
Shield rolls buffed dramatically, aerials nerfed dramatically, rewarding defensive and campy playstyles.
The 3DS controls are nowhere near adequate to play Smash Bros.
I could say a lot of things about character balance here, but Diddy being nerfed into the ground has made me especially mad.
Most of the time, online is completely unplayable due to awful lag.

Modes
Smash Run is underwhelming. Not customizable and not online. It feels more like grinding than anything else.
No adventure mode of any kind.
Break the targets replaced by Homerun Contest+Angry Birds.

General
Kid Icarus Uprising is one of my favorite games of all times, but the amount of representation that it got in Smash 4 is disgusting. It has infinitely more representation than Donkey Kong, Metroid, and even KIRBY.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton, but this sums up most of my disappointment.
I agree on a few things:
Kid Icarus got waaay too much representation in this game. I never played the game but after seeing so many trophies with that bow and arrow in the background made me realize that it's everywhere. KI enemies make up a huge % of Smash Run enemies when it's basically one game (possibly two? Never played the original KI either) versus games with a ton of entries like Pokemon getting a measly 4 enemies (though to be fair Pokeballs) and Pikmin, on it's 3rd game, with only one enemy, the Bulborb... (2 if you count the non-enemy enemy golden beetle)

Music selection for the stages (Questionable in itself. Whoever thought bringing back Mushroomy Kingdom was a good idea should be fired) sucked. Omega stages? Might as well have said "use FD" with the variety they bring. And of course the clone characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom