• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I feel as if Mewtwo does pretty good against Corrin
Well, being faster than Corrin helps a lot. I can't wait to reflect that water ball! òдó

Yeah, this update was mostly about the FE characters, but that makes me pretty happy! I use Ike quite a bit, and I dabble in the others for fun. Marth & Lucina really needed the attention, imo. I felt like they were better than Roy to begin with, and now I absolutely think they're better.

Maybe now that Roy only has 11 frames of landing lag on Nair, people will use him? Somewhere in Texas, Sethlon shed a single tear of joy, bless his heart.

Last edited:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Well, being faster than Corrin helps a lot. I can't wait to reflect that water ball! òдó

Yeah, this update was mostly about the FE characters, but that makes me pretty happy! I use Ike quite a bit, and I dabble in the others for fun. Marth & Lucina really needed the attention, imo. I felt like they were better than Roy to begin with, and now I absolutely think they're better.

Maybe now that Roy only has 11 frames of landing lag on Nair, people will use him? Somewhere in Texas, Sethlon shed a single tear of joy, bless his heart.
Wait, Mewtwo is faster than Kamui? lol I am kinda surprised by that statement....
Godamnit I need to get back from vacation to play this game x.x

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
As someone who mains a FE character and uses nearly all FE characters quite often... I am very pleased with this patch.

Corrin is sick. Love him/her already. S/he's the second best FE character after Ike IMO. Possibly the best but lack of throw combos is really hindering.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
As someone who mains a FE character and uses nearly all FE characters quite often... I am very pleased with this patch.

Corrin is sick. Love him/her already. S/he's the second best FE character after Ike IMO. Possibly the best but lack of throw combos is really hindering.
The more Japan continues to put Ike in low tier out of spite, the more Sakurai & team buff him. I love it.

Corrin is a lot of fun to use. I haven't figured out the differences between the right/left hitboxes on Nair and Dsmash, if there are any. It looks like there would be. Corrin can't recover low very well, but Bair allows you to recover high from seemingly any distance. Corrin's neutral B is a fantastic move. Kinda weird how standing side B just does a hop with no hitbox.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Corrin is interesting and all, but honestly I don't find much fun playing her due to her not having one of the better mobility.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Don't worry dear the triforce of wisdom promises that U-Throw will safely-*The Tri-Force shows U-Throw switching to Diddy and renaming himself to U-Air* Oh my...

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Happy (early) birthday to Mewtwo! It's currently the 6th in Japan, so it's his birthday there. However, it's the 5th in California so there's still a day left. Is Mewtwo the only character in the Smash cast with a known birthday?

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Happy (early) birthday to Mewtwo! It's currently the 6th in Japan, so it's his birthday there. However, it's the 5th in California so there's still a day left. Is Mewtwo the only character in the Smash cast with a known birthday?
No, Cloud's birthday is August 11th/19th 1986. Ryu's is July 21st 1964. So I think Mewtwo, Cloud, and Ryu are the only characters with actual birthdays but the year of Mewtwo's birth (or should I say creation) is not mentioned.

Last edited:
Many people consider Mewtwo born on February 6, 1996. (Maybe it's a metaphor for his development process?)
Also, I picked up Corrin as my top secondary, represented by the Rayquaza in my profile picture.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Many people consider Mewtwo born on February 6, 1996. (Maybe it's a metaphor for his development process?)
Also, I picked up Corrin as my top secondary, represented by the Rayquaza in my profile picture.
Corrin's dragon form looks more like Arceus though. :p

I use green-skin Corrin and use the Rayquaza tag... It's a pretty similar shade of green, and also has yellow and red highlights.
Unfortunately, I couldn't get an orange-tailed Mewtwo to go along with that...

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Robin kinda has a birthday...it's whatever the **** you want it to be but he/she has a birthday. Can imagine Corrin might be similar.

As for the new dlc, I don't care for either of em. Corrin is just alright and Bayo is complicated and I'm bad at complicated. With Wolf pretty much confirmed to not be coming, I have to actually pick a character or two and stick with them. Debating between the following: :4cloud2::4darkpit:/:4pit::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4mewtwo::4pikachu::4rob::4robinf:. Ganon and maybe Robin might just be for funsies but the rest are all up for competitive debate for me. Won't matter until next year anyways when I can drive to tournaments.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Corrin's dragon form definitely reminds me of Arceus but as far as dragons go, it is pretty weird looking tbh considering most other dragons in FE look far more different.
Fire Emblem mainly uses quadrupedal dragons with the occasional biped in Tellius (and the "wyverns" which really aren't wyverns, and probably only named that way for difference's sake).

Personally, I like to see him as a mix of this guy's build...

...this one's water abilities...

...and a deer.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Corrin's dragon form looks more like Arceus though. :p
I think there's actually a reason for that.
Corrin's dragon form actually looks like it might be inspired by a creature from Eastern myth called the Qilin(or Kirin, as it's called in Japanese). They're scaled creatures that usually resemble horses, deer, or oxen. They're apparently held in pretty high regard in both Chinese and Japanese culture, almost comparable to even dragons and phoenixes. Arceus resembles some Qilin depictions, and Corrin resembles one well enough that I think he could be the fusion of a Qilin and a western dragon. If you look at parts of FE:Fates plot, there's even more to back it up, but I won't bother explaining it now.

I can kind of be a geek for mythological creatures and the like, especially in video games.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think there's actually a reason for that.
Corrin's dragon form actually looks like it might be inspired by a creature from Eastern myth called the Qilin(or Kirin, as it's called in Japanese). They're scaled creatures that usually resemble horses, deer, or oxen. They're apparently held in pretty high regard in both Chinese and Japanese culture, almost comparable to even dragons and phoenixes. Arceus resembles some Qilin depictions, and Corrin resembles one well enough that I think he could be the fusion of a Qilin and a western dragon. If you look at parts of FE:Fates plot, there's even more to back it up, but I won't bother explaining it now.

I can kind of be a geek for mythological creatures and the like, especially in video games.
Do the depictions include unicorns?

It also has an icy relative whose name translates to "wind blowing down the mountain".

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Do the depictions include unicorns?
Sort of.
Sometimes Qilin is translated as Unicorns, and they are also often depicted with only a single antler or horn. But they aren't actually the same thing, they're just sometimes very similar.

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I know I've heard the name "kirin" before, but I don't know where. I didn't even know about it being in mythology.

Also I'm not really that fond of kamui; he just doesn't play in my hands that well. He has lots of tools, but I can't seem to utilize them properly, especially dragon lunge. I literally CANNOT control dragon lunge for some reason. Why can't the pike be long enough to hit the ground at any position of the move? That would be an entire game changer for me. Give me Bayonetta over Kamui any day (and this is coming from a guy who used to be almost anti-bayonetta for smash).

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I know I've heard the name "kirin" before, but I don't know where. I didn't even know about it being in mythology.

Also I'm not really that fond of kamui; he just doesn't play in my hands that well. He has lots of tools, but I can't seem to utilize them properly, especially dragon lunge. I literally CANNOT control dragon lunge for some reason. Why can't the pike be long enough to hit the ground at any position of the move? That would be an entire game changer for me. Give me Bayonetta over Kamui any day (and this is coming from a guy who used to be almost anti-bayonetta for smash).
Protip: you can pin the ground very fast by pressing a right after b for the hop.

Kirin is the name of that electric unicorn from Monster Hunter I just posted (with a darker, colder subspecies in Oroshi Kirin). The (female) armour made from it is somewhat infamous for the amount of skin shown. Does that ring a bell?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Another fun trivia fact is that "kirin" is also the Japanese word for giraffe. Arcues does look kind of like a giraffe, doesn't it?
Why can't the pike be long enough to hit the ground at any position of the move? That would be an entire game changer for me.
You can pike the ground almost immediately after the input, it just takes some getting used to. I find the best way is to roll your thumb from B to A.

Edit: Ninja'd by like, 3 minutes. Ha.

Last edited:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Hi guys! I'm back after going MIA for a little bit... blame Smashboards. It just randomly stopped notifying me of this thread's updates even though I'm watching it. Hmm...

Anywho, as for 1.1.4, I tried out Corrin and she became an instant main right next to Mewtwo. It seems like she can complement Mewtwo's worse-er matchups quite well, along with being an absolute blast to play.

Although Mewtwo didn't get any buffs this patch, I'm relatively okay with it, but I still at the very least want my hitboxes fixed, dangit! :p But in all seriousness, I thank Sakurai for making such a wonderful game with such an expansive roster. And the DLC! He didn't even have to do it, but he did anyways.

It also appears my Mewtwo left quite the impression on my locals scene, too! A lot of people congratulated me on placing so well in my first tournament, with Mewtwo no less. I went back the next week to be regarded highly with Mewtwo, and it's quite the feeling!

Here's to many more matches with Mewtwo through 2016!
alliteration game on point tho

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I just started screwing around with Jigglypuff at my college which led me to realize one thing.

WHY THE *FUDGE* HAS SHE NOT GONNA ANY BUFFS SINCE RELEASE?!

She is so much fun and I'd dual main her in a heartbeat if I thought she was actually decent.

She needs the Mewtwo and Bowser treatment. Hopefully the rumor that patches are finished is not true and every character can have some fine tuning.

I also gave Bayo and Corrin a shot and while they are awesome characters I won't be co-maining either. Corrin is fun and all but she feels like the other sword fighters. Nothing wrong with that but it isn't my cup of tea. I like Bayo alot but she feels like the next high/top-tier and I like maining less noticed characters. If Bayo is as good as I think she is then alot of players will be maining her very soon.

EDIT: Happy Birthday, Mewtwo! Best Pokemovie since release!

Last edited:
Blue's been sweeping the Jersey locals with Mewtwo recently, even coming close to taking a tournament off of Nairo.
I might be debuting my new Corrin and trained Mewtwo at KTAR XVII, but as usual I'm not sure if I can attend.
Hey, does Mewtwo have a completed matchup chart yet? I need it to check when to use Corrin.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Wow, Blue is really taking the meta by storm after the buff patch. That's awesome!

I'm glad Mewtwo is getting some spotlight after all the haters put the character down.

I hope not too many switch to Mewtwo once they realize how good he is.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Blue's been sweeping the Jersey locals with Mewtwo recently, even coming close to taking a tournament off of Nairo.
I might be debuting my new Corrin and trained Mewtwo at KTAR XVII, but as usual I'm not sure if I can attend.
Hey, does Mewtwo have a completed matchup chart yet? I need it to check when to use Corrin.
Sorry, friend, but as far as Mewtwo match-ups go, there's still a lot of uncharted territory. Sheik, Fox, and ZSS are tough Mewtwo match-ups, but aren't unwinnable. Rosalina's actually not that bad. Dunno about Pikachu... it tooks tough, but thankfully there are very few good Pika players. Donkey Kong is tough for Mewtwo, being the best heavyweight by far.

I think Mewtwo does pretty well against most of the rest of the cast. Dunno about Bayo or Corrin, yet. Bayo looks like a pushover to me, but who knows.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Sorry, friend, but as far as Mewtwo match-ups go, there's still a lot of uncharted territory. Sheik, Fox, and ZSS are tough Mewtwo match-ups, but aren't unwinnable. Rosalina's actually not that bad. Dunno about Pikachu... it tooks tough, but thankfully there are very few good Pika players.

I think Mewtwo does pretty well against most of the rest of the cast. Dunno about Bayo or Corrin, yet. Bayo looks like a pushover to me, but who knows.
I've noticed that Bayonetta's neutral special can be a real pain for Mewtwo. It covers all ledge options if spaced correctly. The only way I have been able to avoid getting completely blown back by it was by trying to wait for an opportunity to jump before she has time to fire. After that its an easy punish but in a real competitive match I see her as a real problem for Mewtwo. She also can combo the ever living daylights out of us if given the chance.

This is just my experience and if there are options then please let me know so I can make use of them.

Corrin is very managable for us. S/he needs precise spacing to get early kills on us with his/her smashes (good luck with that xD). His/her Dragon Lance is the main thing for us to watch out for and that isn't too difficult to avoid. His/her lunge is scary but as long as we play it safe there shouldn't be an issue. I think Fair even beats the lunge but I could be wrong.

His/her projectile is pretty risky to use for obvious reasons. The endlag will get him/her paralyzed and we can make better use of it with our superior speed.

I'm not super adept at match-up discussion but I think this is decent.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Wow, Blue is really taking the meta by storm after the buff patch. That's awesome!

I'm glad Mewtwo is getting some spotlight after all the haters put the character down.

I hope not too many switch to Mewtwo once they realize how good he is.
Wouldn't worry about bandwagoners, too many people are turned off by his weight in the long run. Doesn't bother me, but eh.

Don't tell the Luigi boards M2 has surpassed Luigi as my most used...

But yeah, where as I'm getting stomped with Luigi against Corrin, Villager, and Megaman, M2 I have a much better time against them (and all swords bar Ike funny enough i can manage him with Luigi) Likewise, when M2 gets beaten by Fox, Pika, and Mario, I like breaking out Luigi for them. I feel these two complement each other well. Now I just have to find a 3rd to deal with Sheik (I like Game and Watch personally). Also Lucas I think is tough for M2 and Luigi, to which I use Greninja instead.

D

Deleted member

February 6th, Mew gave birth......
We named the newborn, Mewtwo...:150:

Mewtwo, the Physic-type man-made Legendary Pokemon. Genetic Clone of Mew and wielder of Two Mega Evolutions, i shall celebrate your birthday today/tonight.

Mewtwo has wielded many different faces over the years. He even has a giant Spoon!
From Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back to Pokemon Stadium to Adventures to Origins, Mewtwo has truly stood the test of time, becoming one of Pokemon's most recognizable faces to many gamers around the world.

But i came here to share my little story of how i reacted to Mewtwo in Smash 4:

I remeber strictly waiting for Mewtwo's arrival in Smash 4, ever since E3 2013, i awaited his (or they, or its) return to the happy go-lucky-gone wrong world of Nintendo. I remember beign an ignorant fool back in April 8, 2014, thinking that the Pokemon known as Greninja, was Mewtwo.

Ever since, the desesperation in me grew bigger and bigger, as the bandwagon of Mewtwo "haters" (or whatever they were called) proclaimed that Mewtwo was a goner. No matter how many rumors popped out, my hope for the Legendary Genetic Pokemon was always strong, even with the ESRB Leak.

All those jokes, memes and other stuff about Mewtwo not returning were a minor annyoance for me. I was confident and hopeful, something that can backfire easily when it comes to smash speculation. But despite the wait, the dream became real. I remember that afternoon, on October 23rd of 2014. I still remember how the Camera first showed Mewtwo's feet, and how it slowly revealed the rest of the body.

There are many characters out there that i wanted that never made it. K.Rool, Isaac, Simon Belmont and others, but there's no character out there that i have the same attachment with other than Mewtwo (except maybe Megaman). If i had to sacrifice a Smash 4 newcomer for Mewtwo, i would (unless it was Megaman as already mentioned or Lil' Mac or Greninja) im not joking.
I could be Corrin, Bayo, Palutena, you name it.

I don't care that Mewtwo is low tier or trash tier or whatever, im not a competitive guy. I prefer him to be this way than not beign in the game at all. There, i said it. Say what you want about me, but i don't care. I love Mewtwo, he is awsome for me and always will.

Happy Birthday Mewtwo, and i hope future generations appreciate you, just like the older generations did since the beggining of Gen 1.

To end this random rambling that i did, i will leave you with this:

Last edited by a moderator:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just got back from Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions. There's no Mewtwo in it in any form, but I'd definitely say it's a must see for anyone who's ever played a Pokemon game.

:001::004::007::025:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
February 6th, Mew gave birth......
We named the newborn, Mewtwo...:150:

Mewtwo, the Physic-type man-made Legendary Pokemon. Genetic Clone of Mew and wielder of Two Mega Evolutions, i shall celebrate your birthday today/tonight.

Mewtwo has wielded many different faces over the years. He even has a giant Spoon!
From Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back to Pokemon Stadium to Adventures to Origins, Mewtwo has truly stood the test of time, becoming one of Pokemon's most recognizable faces to many gamers around the world.

But i came here to share my little story of how i reacted to Mewtwo in Smash 4:

I remeber strictly waiting for Mewtwo's arrival in Smash 4, ever since E3 2013, i awaited his (or they, or its) return to the happy go-lucky-gone wrong of Nintendo. I remember beign an ignorant fool back in April 8, 2014, thinking that the Pokemon known as Greninja, was Mewtwo.

Ever since, the desesperation in me grew bigger and bigger, as the bandwagon of Mewtwo "haters" (or whatever they were called) proclaimed that Mewtwo was a goner. No matter how many rumors popped out, my hope for the Legendary Genetic Pokemon was always strong, even with the ESRB Leak.

All those jokes, memes and other stuff about Mewtwo not returning were a minor annyoance for me. I was confident and hopeful, something that can backfire easily when it comes to smash speculation. But despite the wait, the dream became real. I remember that afternoon, on October 23rd
of 2014. I still remember how the Camer first showed Mewtwo's feet, and how it slowly revealed the rest of the body.

There are many characters out there that i wanted that never made it. K.Rool, Isaac, Simon Belmont and others, but there's no character out there that i have the same attachment with other than Mewtwo (except maybe Megaman). If i had to sacrifice a Smash 4 newcomer for Mewtwo, i would (unless it was Megaman as already mentioned or Lil' Mac or Greninja) im not joking.
I could be Corrin, Bayo, Palutena, you name it.

I don't care that Mewtwo is low tier or trash tier or whatever, im not a competitive guy. I prefer him to be this way than not beign in the game at all. There, i said it. Say what you want about me, but i don't care. I love Mewtwo, he is awsome for me and always will.

Happy Birthday Mewtwo, and i hope future generations appreciate you, just like the older generations did since the beggining of Gen 1.

To end this random rambling that i did, i will leave you with this:
I was honestly very surprised when Mewtwo didn't make it into the initial roster. He's one of the most well known and popular Pokemon there is, and with all of his old Melee fans that missed him, he seemed like a no-brainer edition.

Even then, though, I certain that if we got DLC, we'd get him. And I felt pretty confident that we would be getting DLC.
I remember getting into a lot of arguments with people he kept quoting an interview with Sakurai where he said he wasn't planning on DLC, but I figured from his wording that he wasn't ruling out the possibility of future DLC. But with Smash being such a huge game and such a good fit for DLC, I just knew it was only a matter of time.

Then when the Smash Direct for the Wii U version revealed him, I wasn't surprised that we were getting Mewtwo so much as how early they decided to reveal him.

Oh yeah it's not Mewtwo's birthday in my timezone for another two hours, but hey, may as well start celebrating early.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
Where exactly in Jersey?... I wouldn't mind going to a local scene and seeing how I do in a tournament especially if it's against a fellow Link or Mewtwo main.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Wouldn't worry about bandwagoners, too many people are turned off by his weight in the long run. Doesn't bother me, but eh.

Don't tell the Luigi boards M2 has surpassed Luigi as my most used...

But yeah, where as I'm getting stomped with Luigi against Corrin, Villager, and Megaman, M2 I have a much better time against them (and all swords bar Ike funny enough i can manage him with Luigi) Likewise, when M2 gets beaten by Fox, Pika, and Mario, I like breaking out Luigi for them. I feel these two complement each other well. Now I just have to find a 3rd to deal with Sheik (I like Game and Watch personally). Also Lucas I think is tough for M2 and Luigi, to which I use Greninja instead.
Fascinating. Yeah, I feel like Lucas can be tough for Mewtwo, which is kinda ironic, since I feel Mewtwo has a rare positive match-up against Ness.

And yeah, Ike being good against Mewtwo would not shock me, but I never saw it that way before. Since I use Ike, I'd just do an Ike Ditto for that true 50:50. Ike got some fantastic buffs again in this patch. More were just found today.

I've never heard of G&W being good for Sheik before. If that's true, I'd love to learn him again. He was an old favorite of mine from Melee, but I haven't used him much since.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Robin kinda has a birthday...it's whatever the **** you want it to be but he/she has a birthday. Can imagine Corrin might be similar.

As for the new dlc, I don't care for either of em. Corrin is just alright and Bayo is complicated and I'm bad at complicated. With Wolf pretty much confirmed to not be coming, I have to actually pick a character or two and stick with them. Debating between the following: :4cloud2::4darkpit:/:4pit::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4mewtwo::4pikachu::4rob::4robinf:. Ganon and maybe Robin might just be for funsies but the rest are all up for competitive debate for me. Won't matter until next year anyways when I can drive to tournaments.
With that reasoning every character has a birthday. Robin's is based on your choosing, so there isn't a set canonical birthday for him/her.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Fascinating. Yeah, I feel like Lucas can be tough for Mewtwo, which is kinda ironic, since I feel Mewtwo has a rare positive match-up against Ness.

And yeah, Ike being good against Mewtwo would not shock me, but I never saw it that way before. Since I use Ike, I'd just do an Ike Ditto for that true 50:50. Ike got some fantastic buffs again in this patch. More were just found today.

I've never heard of G&W being good for Sheik before. If that's true, I'd love to learn him again. He was an old favorite of mine from Melee, but I haven't used him much since.
For Game and Watch, more because he can duck needles, bucket vanish, and I seem to have the closest to...not losing against my friend who is a Sheik main that creams me even worse with other characters. WFT is OK against Sheik too. There are better characters against Sheik of course but I just mentioned the ones I like playing

Top Bottom