• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I also think Lucas beats Mewtwo. Not soundly or anything, could be 55:45, but it's worse than the Ness match up, which I feel we win IMO.

I've been screwing around a little with Bayonetta. She's fun when you get the hang of her, but she definitely has a huge learning curve similar to Ryu. She may actually be even tougher to learn than him just because she has so many things that make her a lot different than the average Smash character. So does Ryu, but at least his recovery is normal and he has fairly normal aerials and properties.

As for Corrin, I enjoy him too. He's a lot easier to get the hang of. Not sure if he's necessarily main material or anything, but he seems like a good character.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Just made this for Mewtwo's birthday.

As you can see, I'm not very good at drawing...

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Happy Birthday Mewtwo!

I'm so glad you're back in Sm4sh.
I'm so grateful! It's the one and only thing I truly wanted in Smash 4. They even managed to make him really good! And he just looks so gorgeous and smooth. Even his amiibo looks amazing.

For Mewtwo's birthday, we all got presents this year.

Just made this for Mewtwo's birthday.

As you can see, I'm not very good at drawing...
This is adorable! Thanks for making it!

February 6th, Mew gave birth......
We named the newborn, Mewtwo...:150:

Mewtwo, the Physic-type man-made Legendary Pokemon. Genetic Clone of Mew and wielder of Two Mega Evolutions, i shall celebrate your birthday today/tonight.

Mewtwo has wielded many different faces over the years. He even has a giant Spoon!
From Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back to Pokemon Stadium to Adventures to Origins, Mewtwo has truly stood the test of time, becoming one of Pokemon's most recognizable faces to many gamers around the world.

But i came here to share my little story of how i reacted to Mewtwo in Smash 4:

I remeber strictly waiting for Mewtwo's arrival in Smash 4, ever since E3 2013, i awaited his (or they, or its) return to the happy go-lucky-gone wrong of Nintendo. I remem
[/spoiler]
So many of us feel the same way. Thanks for sharing in the celebration!

Last edited:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Happy Birthday, Mewtwo!

It's been one wild ride ever since you were created about 18 years ago. Congratulations once again for returning to Smash!

I also think Lucas beats Mewtwo. Not soundly or anything, could be 55:45, but it's worse than the Ness match up, which I feel we win IMO.
Can you explain how we win the Ness matchup? I always thought it was one of our worse-er matchups, and I for the life of me can't figure out how to beat a persistent Ness without ending the game on the last stock and at back throw kill percentage.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Oh. Happy Birthday, Mewtwo. - you're one of the most fun fighters on the whole roster.

To be honest, I don't like either of the new DLC characters.

Corrin lacks in mobility, and doesn't have many moves that I really like. Forward air is cool, but here's the catch - forward air combos aren't true like Mewtwo's. I do like her back air though.

Bayonetta is so awkward - I was looking forward to trying her out and pulling out this stuff, but soon I realized that Bayonetta is just way too technical for me to use, and goes against how to normally use a smash character.

They just don't seem fluid as the Pokemon we main right now to me.

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I was honestly very surprised when Mewtwo didn't make it into the initial roster. He's one of the most well known and popular Pokemon there is, and with all of his old Melee fans that missed him, he seemed like a no-brainer edition.

Even then, though, I certain that if we got DLC, we'd get him. And I felt pretty confident that we would be getting DLC.
I remember getting into a lot of arguments with people he kept quoting an interview with Sakurai where he said he wasn't planning on DLC, but I figured from his wording that he wasn't ruling out the possibility of future DLC. But with Smash being such a huge game and such a good fit for DLC, I just knew it was only a matter of time.

Then when the Smash Direct for the Wii U version revealed him, I wasn't surprised that we were getting Mewtwo so much as how early they decided to reveal him.

Oh yeah it's not Mewtwo's birthday in my timezone for another two hours, but hey, may as well start celebrating early.
Actually I think that Sakurai intended him to be in the initial roster, but he probably thought that he could just simply port his melee self and tweak a few things like he could the other veterans (technically he could port over doc since he's a clone and could just use the properties of luigi cyclone), but since he couldn't get data from melee, he'd have to start from scratch, which would take too long to do so before the release of the game, so that's how he became dlc. Either way he had to be in sm4sh.

Characters I think may have a positive matchup against Sheik- :4greninja::4fox::4gaw::4wiifit::rosalina::4corrin:

The New Jersey Smash scene is based around Somerset and New Brunswick. It's generally where Tristate regionals happen as well, with KTAR, Shots Fired, and even Apex being located there.

I don't think Mewtwo has to worry about matchups as much, since the high majority of his matchups are 50:50. Matches I find more difficult off the top of my head are :4sheik::4fox::4diddy::rosalina::4palutena::4lucas::4mario::4drmario:, and most are covered by Corrin.

fixed by Murlough post- I still think Rosaluma is difficult, but Luigi was put there by mistake

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Rosaluma and Luigi are bad mathups? The others I can understand, but those two?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Happy birthday to one of my favorite DLC characters. Here's to hoping he fares even better as the game goes on!

D

Deleted member

drop wario.
use mewtwo as your second main.
I've been wanting to drop Wario as my co-main for a while now. I can't really dedicate all the time and knowledge needed to be successful with him when it matters, and I've been having more fun and finding more success with other characters.

:4mewtwo::4cloud::4myfriends:

These are the three I'm considering, I may pick Mewtwo.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Really the only characters I have trouble with as Mewtwo are :4cloud::4diddy::4littlemac::4mario::4littlemac::4ness::4villager::4littlemac::4ness::4yoshi::4wiremac: and :rosalina: can be a pushover at some times but not all of the time. So can :4bayonetta: but I think that's just because she's only been out for like, what, 3 days?

Also did I mention :4littlemac: and :4ness:?

D

Deleted member

Really the only characters I have trouble with as Mewtwo are :4cloud::4diddy::4littlemac::4mario::4littlemac::4ness::4villager::4littlemac::4ness::4yoshi::4wiremac: and :rosalina: can be a pushover at some times but not all of the time. So can :4bayonetta: but I think that's just because she's only been out for like, what, 3 days?

Also did I mention :4littlemac: and :4ness:?
I only really fear Cloud when he's in Limit. Otherwise I feel like Mewtwo can take him on reasonably well. He just had to respect up air and usmash/fsmash. Mewtwo does alright vs Villager too, same for Ness.

I also have trouble with Mario and Mac, though Yoshi really isn't that bad. Mewtwo can deal with eggs easy with Confusion and can contest Yoshi in the air.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
I've been wanting to drop Wario as my co-main for a while now. I can't really dedicate all the time and knowledge needed to be successful with him when it matters, and I've been having more fun and finding more success with other characters.

:4mewtwo::4cloud::4myfriends:

These are the three I'm considering, I may pick Mewtwo.
I think you should pick Mewtwo - currently I'm maining Mewtwo and Cloud so yeah. They're both very fun.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Rosaluma and Luigi are bad mathups? The others I can understand, but those two?
I have a very hard time challenging Rosalina in the air, personally.
But then again I also have a hard time doing that with Corrin, and Corrin has disjoints, so maybe I just suck at fighting her.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
I only really fear Cloud when he's in Limit. Otherwise I feel like Mewtwo can take him on reasonably well. He just had to respect up air and usmash/fsmash. Mewtwo does alright vs Villager too, same for Ness.

I also have trouble with Mario and Mac, though Yoshi really isn't that bad. Mewtwo can deal with eggs easy with Confusion and can contest Yoshi in the air.
I just hate fighting Cloud as Mewtwo because of that stupid uair that I can't seem to get away from unless I'm playing anyone else, and yeah, Limit Cloud is scary too. Mewtwo does do alright against Villager, but slipping up and getting fair walled is never fun.
I honestly cannot fight Ness for the life of me, and I can't think of anything that proves that we have even the slightest of hand in that matchup. The same goes for Little Mac too, and Yoshi is there because he's annoying to fight and no one uses him, so when I do end up fighting one I don't know what to do.

Luckily Corrin does well against all of those for me, bar Yoshi, as I have yet to see or play against a Yoshi with her.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I honestly cannot fight Ness for the life of me, and I can't think of anything that proves that we have even the slightest of hand in that matchup. The same goes for Little Mac too, and Yoshi is there because he's annoying to fight and no one uses him, so when I do end up fighting one I don't know what to do.
Confusion his PK attacks? D-tilt combo and/or f-air him to death?

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Confusion his PK attacks? D-tilt combo and/or f-air him to death?
Yeah but PK Fire can't hit him because of the angle it sends it back at and PK Thunder should really only be hitting you from underneath or above, where Confusion can't reach. Dtilt combos are obvious, yeah, but overall I just think we have a much harder time with Ness. Just my opinion tho ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

D

Deleted member

Yeah but PK Fire can't hit him because of the angle it sends it back at and PK Thunder should really only be hitting you from underneath or above, where Confusion can't reach. Dtilt combos are obvious, yeah, but overall I just think we have a much harder time with Ness. Just my opinion tho ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
PK Fire really isn't hard to deal with, there's a reason most top Ness players barely ever rely on the move. It's highly unsafe on shield and can be punished on reaction once you get your timing and instincts down. Ness has a mediocre ground game and we have super mobility to him on both the air and ground, the only thing we have to fear in this matchup is getting grabbed, and him killing us with up air, back air or back throw. Our reflector is also much faster, has a longer lasting hitbox and overall has more versatility than his. Plus, Ness is practically a sitting duck offstage, especially if you run into the PK Thunder bolt or reflect it. I've been maining Ness for the past year, so I really have to disagree that this is a bad MU, much less one where it's a huge disadvantage for Mewtwo.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I have a fairly easy time against Ness. PSI Magnet kinda shuts down Mewtwo's best move but other than that Mewtwo can outspace Ness pretty well. Edgeguarding Ness as Mewtwo is easy peazy.

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
*sigh*

So. I'm looking at Mewtwo's smash wiki page again and it's still terrible.

Hell, the worst thing about it is claiming that down aerial is Mewtwo's best aerial move. That's so stupid because to be honest it's probably his worst, but it's not a bad move at all.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Happy birthday, Mewtwo!

Also, fighting Mac as Mewtwo can be a nightmare. He hits WAY too hard to be so damn fast, has stupid armor on his smashes, and a Counter that trips from way too far away. He hits like a goddamn truck, and since Mewtwo is lighter than the 2-dimensional Mr. Game & Watch for some stupid reason...

Shadow Ball and Bthrow for DAYS.

D

Deleted member

*sigh*

So. I'm looking at Mewtwo's smash wiki page again and it's still terrible.

Hell, the worst thing about it is claiming that down aerial is Mewtwo's best aerial move. That's so stupid because to be honest it's probably his worst, but it's not a bad move at all.
SmashWiki is dumb in general.

They have Nairo listed as a notable Lucina player. LMAO.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Hey people, good news, every amiibo will work with Pokkén Tournament.
Hey people, bad news, only the Shadow Mewtwo card do something actually meaningful.
And happy birthday Mewtwo, because I know that somewhere in the world it's still February 6....

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I miss U-Throw U-Throw

I hope he's alright. He used to hang out every day. Maybe he just got busy.
I'm back! Anyhow, you weren't too far from the truth. While I didn't necessarily get any busier, I did get wrapped up in other leisure activities. My weekdays are pretty hectic right now, and I've been prioritizing playing video games over talking about them. I don't see that really changing any time soon, but I'll try to be on here for just a few minutes every day from now on. I will, however, attempt to be on SmashBoards pretty frequently on weekends. That should be much more manageable.

Also, happy birthday, Mewtwo! *blows party horn and throws confetti* You're officially 20 years old! Woo-hoo!

So, today was the first chance I got to use the 2 new DLC characters, and I must say that Corrin impressed me quite a bit. She feels like a natural fit for me, and I'm heavily considering picking her up as my first serious secondary. Corrin obviously can't dethrone Mewtwo as my main, but she's still a lot of fun to play as. She has very stylish, fun-to-look-at attacks, as well. Oh, and, in case you couldn't tell by my choice of pronoun, I prefer female Corrin to her male counterpart. As with Robin, I feel as though the female version got the superior palette swaps. Corrin's orange and pink colorations are probably my favorites, and I really like how her draconic form's color scheme changes to match her palette swap. That's a very nice touch, in my opinion.

To me, Bayonetta is just alright. I don't find her particularly fun to play as, but she's certainly a unique addition to the roster. She's just not for me, is all. I will say that her Final Smash is totally awesome, however. Gotta love Gomorrah! Also, I quite like Umbra Clock Tower. It's an impressive-looking stage, and I like watching Fortitudo and all of the angels fly around in the background as I fight my opponent, all while free-falling hundreds of feet per second off a cliff:p.

And Mewtwo apparently has a maid fetish. Who would have guessed?
U-Throw U-Throw welcome back! We were talking about you the other day haha. :)
Thank you! It's great to be back!

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm back! Anyhow, you weren't too far from the truth. While I didn't necessarily get any busier, I did get wrapped up in other leisure activities. My weekdays are pretty hectic right now, and I've been prioritizing playing video games over talking about them. I don't see that really changing any time soon, but I'll try to be on here for just a few minutes every day from now on. I will, however, attempt to be on SmashBoards pretty frequently on weekends. That should be much more manageable.

Also, happy birthday, Mewtwo! *blows party horn and throws confetti* You're officially 20 years old! Woo-hoo!

So, today was the first chance I got to use the 2 new DLC characters, and I must say that Corrin impressed me quite a bit. She feels like a natural fit for me, and I'm heavily considering picking her up as my first serious secondary. Corrin obviously can't dethrone Mewtwo as my main, but she's still a lot of fun to play as. She has very stylish, fun-to-look-at attacks, as well. Oh, and, in case you couldn't tell by my choice of pronoun, I prefer female Corrin to her male counterpart. As with Robin, I feel as though the female version got the superior palette swaps. Corrin's orange and pink colorations are probably my favorites, and I really like how her draconic form's color scheme changes to match her palette swap. That's a very nice touch, in my opinion.

To me, Bayonetta is just alright. I don't find her particularly fun to play as, but she's certainly a unique addition to the roster. She's just not for me, is all. I will say that her Final Smash is totally awesome, however. Gotta love Gomorrah! Also, I quite like Umbra Clock Tower. It's an impressive-looking stage, and I like watching Fortitudo and all of the angels fly around in the background as I fight my opponent, all while free-falling hundreds of feet per second off a cliff:p.

And Mewtwo has apparently has maid fetish. Who would have guessed?

Thank you! It's great to be back!
I can't afford to buy Bayonetta, personally... I spent my last few bucks on Corrin. But I'm with you: I find Bayonetta's stage much more exciting than her character. If I could buy the clock tower but leave her on the table, I would.

I think playing games is better than talking about games in general. Can't fault you there. Biggest reason I talk more than I play is that I have no one to play with, so I chase after that social aspect.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I really don't like Umbra Clock which is a shame because it looked so cool in videos. The stage itself is just too distracting. There's so much going on in the background and the stage shakes a lot. It annoys me.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Do any of you see the stage being legalized? I'm not sure myself as there is the walkoff part every once nd a while and like DrRiceBoy DrRiceBoy said the stage can be quite distracting.

I hope it is personally since it is alot of fun and I love the music.

In other news since Jigglypuff has been abandoned by Sakurai I think I'm gonna co-main Kirby. The matchups I have alot of trouble with using Mewtwo are way more manageable with Kirby and vice-versa. Hopefully, I can bring myself to stick to it.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I really don't like Umbra Clock which is a shame because it looked so cool in videos. The stage itself is just too distracting. There's so much going on in the background and the stage shakes a lot. It annoys me.
Understandable. I'd still love to have access to it, though. On the 3DS, any stage variety is good stage variety.

Do any of you see the stage being legalized? I'm not sure myself as there is the walkoff part every once nd a while and like DrRiceBoy DrRiceBoy said the stage can be quite distracting.

I hope it is personally since it is alot of fun and I love the music.

In other news since Jigglypuff has been abandoned by Sakurai I think I'm gonna co-main Kirby. The matchups I have alot of trouble with using Mewtwo are way more manageable with Kirby and vice-versa. Hopefully, I can bring myself to stick to it.
It will likely remain legal for a while. Only time can tell if it will stay.

Personally, I feel it is healthy for the meta, since we had too many "battlefield" stages in the stage list for it to be fair for certain matchups.

Edit: Welp, I hit "post" instead of copy/pasting this into my previous post. Please don't eat my soul, --- ---

Last edited by a moderator:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
It will likely remain legal for a while. Only time can tell if it will stay.

Personally, I feel it is healthy for the meta, since we had too many "battlefield" stages in the stage list for it to be fair for certain matchups.

Edit: Welp, I hit "post" instead of copy/pasting this into my previous post. Please don't eat my soul, --- ---
It will likely only be banned if people either don't give it a chance, or they adopt an ultra conservative stage list consisting of only the known tried and true basics, which a lot do. I think Umbra Clock Tower should definitely be legal as a counter pick if Castle Siege and Halberd are.

I like Peach's Castle 64 too. I wonder why that was never considered as at least a counter pick stage. I can understand Hyrule because it's too big.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
If Duck Hunt with the distracting ducks can be legal, I think Clock Tower should be legal. If anything, I find Duck Hunt to be even more distracting because I always want to go after the ducks.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I played a couple matches on clock tower via anther's ladder and I can say that it's not that distracting. The platforms, while have some iffy placements (some even have their own ledges), overall aren't that bad and have limited time on their own.

Top Bottom