• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
*Walks into thread and sees the confirmed leaks* Well, I guess I missed quite a bit. I don't plan on playing as any of them but I'm still hyped.
I plan on giving both of them a spin, but I doubt I'll stick with either. I mean, they look cool and all, but I don't think I'll like them enough to give up Mewtwo. At the most, Ryu might become a character that I use in really laid-back matches, but I don't expect anything more than that. Honestly, the only character that might make me give up Mewtwo is Wonder-Red, and, as it stands, his chances are fairly slim.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I plan on giving both of them a spin, but I doubt I'll stick with either. I mean, they look cool and all, but I don't think I'll like them enough to give up Mewtwo. At the most, Ryu might become a character that I use in really laid-back matches, but I don't expect anything more than that. Honestly, the only character that might make me give up Mewtwo is Wonder-Red, and, as it stands, his chances are fairly slim.
Yeah, I'll test both of them out in training mode and use them in For Fun sometimes but that's it. I don't think they'll replace Yoshi or Mewtwo easily for me.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm considering using Ryu semi-frequently. Among the many characters I could use decently in UMVC3 included Ryu, and since he appears to have part of his UMVC3 moveset down to Final Smash, I could find myself translating to him easily.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
saw the leaks pretty early together with model rips from it

I am so hype for Ryu and Lucas. but not to start a flame war or anything but I dont want Fire Marth in my game :c
Flame War? Fire Marth? The hilarity.

Still I agree with your sentiment. DownLoadable Clone content indeed.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
saw the leaks pretty early together with model rips from it

I am so hype for Ryu and Lucas. but not to start a flame war or anything but I dont want Fire Marth in my game :c
There's nothing wrong with disliking a character, and you don't seem to be hating on Roy and saying that he doesn't belong in the game, so I don't have a problem with what you're saying. Some people just don't like Roy, and that's fine. However, he does have a fairly large fanbase, and because Roy takes up so little development time, there's really no reason to hate him. If I were you, I just wouldn't buy him. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
There's nothing wrong with disliking a character, and you don't seem to be hating on Roy and saying that he doesn't belong in the game, so I don't have a problem with what you're saying. Some people just don't like Roy, and that's fine. However, he does have a fairly large fanbase, and because Roy takes up so little development time, there's really no reason to hate him. If I were you, I just wouldn't buy him. Out of sight, out of mind, right?
But my roster must be complete! If anything pisses me off it's lacking customs.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
as @ MagiusNecros MagiusNecros said
my roster needs to be complete! I am a perfectionist so I need to buy Fire Marth to unlock his ****.
and not buying it is thrown out the window since it also put me in a disadvantes with "see what he is capable off"

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Well, let's hope he gets luigified then. Having another Marth clone would be redundant.
From the video it seems that his Up B, Blazer has a slightly altered animation.

Also, I was indifferent towards but he looks so awesome in this game that it makes me want to main him. And yay for Ryu as well.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
But my roster must be complete! If anything pisses me off it's lacking customs.
Eh, I don't mind Roy, so I don't have a problem with paying for him. I don't know if I'll use him much, but I think he'll be fun to play around with. However, I agree with you on the thing about Customs. Mewtwo and the other DLC characters seem somewhat incomplete without them, and I don't like the feeling I get from it. However, it's a big undertaking to even make a new character in the first place, so I think we should just calmly complain about it until something happens. Sakurai already has to put up with a million idiots calling for irrational changes to Custom Moves, such as making every single one a completely different attack. I think we should give the guy a break and see how calmly objecting works out.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
as @ MagiusNecros MagiusNecros said
my roster needs to be complete! I am a perfectionist so I need to buy Fire Marth to unlock his ****.
and not buying it is thrown out the window since it also put me in a disadvantes with "see what he is capable off"
Yeah if you play Smash for the competitive edge it has, then not buying these characters is not an option.

---------------

Roy and Lucas I can get. Ryu I cannot. Ryu not having customs seems ******** as a newcomer.

Roy is hilarious though. Marth/Lucina pretty much would be his customs. And he can't get them. LOL

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
If Roy ends up being turned into a semi clone like happened to Falcon and Ganon (And let's be honest, it has to happen because having 3 Marths would be tacky), then I will satisfied.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Not quite. Falco and Luigi diverged considerably from their moveset originals, not just aesthetically.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Roy holds his sword differently here so I'm really curious
Judging by the trailer, Flare Blade retains its overhead swinging animation from Melee, and Roy's F-Smash seems to be substantially different from Marth's, as well. Also, I don't think Roy's Over-B has been confirmed to be Double-Edge Dance yet, so that could be a new move, too.

Also, I'd like Roy to have a few differences from Marth and Lucina, as well. I don't necessarily require it, and I certainly won't be upset if it doesn't happen, but I'd still appreciate some things to set Roy apart from his originals.

In other news, according to RandomTBush, the person responsible for all of this, Roy and Ryu are fully complete and ready to go. It's only a matter of time before we get our hands on them!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Judging by the trailer, Flare Blade retains its overhead swinging animation from Melee, and Roy's F-Smash seems to be substantially different from Marth's, as well. Also, I don't think Roy's Over-B has been confirmed to be Double-Edge Dance yet, so that could be a new move, too.

Also, I'd like Roy to have a few differences from Marth and Lucina, too. I don't necessarily require it, and I certainly won't be upset if it doesn't happen, but I'd still appreciate some things to set Roy apart from his originals.

In other news, according to RandomTBush, the person responsible for all of this, Roy and Ryu are fully complete and ready to go. It's only a matter of time before we get our hands on them!
If they are announced at E3 it's incredibly disappointing. Hopefully tomorrow as Lucas is released then. Did we get any gameplay footage?

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
If they are announced at E3 it's incredibly disappointing. Hopefully tomorrow as Lucas is released then. Did we get any gameplay footage?
We got their "Congratulations!" videos, which I assume you've already seen, and we have almost all of their assets ripped from Smash 4, but, unfortunately, we don't have any actual gameplay footage. Hopefully, we'll get some tomorrow, though!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Here's how I imagine Ryu gets along with the Smash cast!

-Gets along swimmingly with Ike (They look similar, they're both wandering warriors, both have scruffy hair with headbands
and someone needs to get a picture with both of them crossing their arms. I hope that's one of Ryu's taunts).

-Mario reminds him of Ken. Dr. Mario almost fights like him.

-Appreciates Little Mac's devotion towards boxing.

-Dislikes Ganon because he reminds him of M. Bison (purple energy, stomps).

-Lucario likes Ryu's Aura (If it can be likened to ki).

-Ryu appreciates Mewtwo's passion for battling (from the games), even if he sees disturbing shades of Akuma.

-Doesn't think much of Bowser since he's vulnerable to his fighting style (like Zangief).

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Roy and Ryu's special movesets leaked.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RandomTBush/status/609706407357759488

https://mobile.twitter.com/RandomTBush/status/609705945627803648

Hmm, Roy's doesn't look that much different. His animation of Flare Blade is going to be different than Marth's B obviously due it changing from an overhead slash to a stab. In Blazer, he actually grabs the sword slightly different. I hope they change his A moveset significantly and have something like what they did to Lucas; same special moveset as Ness but entirely different normals.

Also, I'm calling it now: Chun Li is going to be an assist trophy. She seems to follow Ryu everywhere as they tend to appear in crossovers together.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Roy and Ryu's special movesets leaked.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RandomTBush/status/609706407357759488

https://mobile.twitter.com/RandomTBush/status/609705945627803648

Hmm, Roy's doesn't look that much different. His animation of Flare Blade is going to be different than Marth's B obviously due it changing from an overhead slash to a stab. In Blazer, he actually grabs the sword slightly different. I hope they change his A moveset significantly and have something like what they did to Lucas; same special moveset as Ness but entirely different normals.
Can somebody confirm if that image of Roy's Over-B matches up with Marth's? That could help us determine if Roy's moveset is going to be changed much.

EDIT: Also, from what little we've seen, Roy's F-Smash looks substantially different from Marth's, so take that for what you will.

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Ryu is all right and Roy better have some major changes to make him different other than his standard special and fire effects cause while its cool that he's back I'm not buying him if hes just a third Marth. Sure we had 3 foxes in brawl but one actually played different, this probably wont be the case here though.

With that said Nintendo knows about the leaks by now so being e3 reveals would be stupid, plus this already confirms that we might get Wolf at e3 to tie into Star fox (since its obvious Ryu only got in so that Capcom can advertise SFV, a game thats not even going to be on the Wii U).

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Ryu is all right and Roy better have some major changes to make him different other than his standard special and fire effects cause while its cool that he's back I'm not buying him if hes just a third Marth. Sure we had 3 foxes in brawl but one actually played different, this probably wont be the case here though.

With that said Nintendo knows about the leaks by now so being e3 reveals would be stupid, plus this already confirms that we might get Wolf at e3 to tie into Star fox (since its obvious Ryu only got in so that Capcom can advertise SFV, a game thats not even going to be on the Wii U).
Or... Maybe Capcom just wanted the world's most iconic Fighting-game character in the most popular Fighting-game series ever? Makes sense to me.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Or... Maybe Capcom just wanted the world's most iconic Fighting-game character in the most popular Fighting-game series ever? Makes sense to me.
Wait so that means by adding a real fighting game character that makes this a real fighting game?

Yay now we can get balance patches that actually do somthing!!!

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I wouldn't call Wolf a third Fox, because all of his moves except for Reflector were different from him. He doesn't even fall into the semi clone category as Falco does. Although it is true that his specials were still derived from Fox's, they were even far more diverged to be considered their own thing. That and coupled with his normal moves which are all unique doesn't really make him much of a clone.

Also, nothing wrong with Ryu serving as advertisement for SFV. Snake pretty much did the same for MGS4.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
R-R-R...
ROY!?!?!?!?!?!? <3 <3 <3 <3
ANOTHER OF MY FAVORITE CLONES IS BACK!!!
(sorry Lucina, please, move over a sec...)

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master

Did you just call Wolf another Fox? I don't even...

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I remember a time when I saw a self proclaimed Mewtwo and Lucario main say that Lucario is a clone of Mewtwo... His reasonings like Extremespeed being exactly like Teleport made me die a little inside.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
I wouldn't call Wolf a third Fox, because all of his moves except for Reflector were different from him. He doesn't even fall into the semi clone category as Falco does. Although it is true that his specials were still derived from Fox's, they were even far more diverged to be considered their own thing. That and coupled with his normal moves which are all unique doesn't really make him much of a clone.

Also, nothing wrong with Ryu serving as advertisement for SFV. Snake pretty much did the same for MGS4.
Wolf is not a true clone but still shares a similar attack style, and this should be applied to Roy as well, he has the same counter, but his Standard B makes him seemingly different and I don't know what the Side B could be

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wolf is not a true clone but still shares a similar attack style, and this should be applied to Roy as well, he has the same counter, but his Standard B makes him seemingly different and I don't know what the Side B is but its has a different name apparently.
No. Wolf plays much differently than Fox. Roy may be closer to a semiclone now but we don't know
(since its obvious Ryu only got in so that Capcom can advertise SFV, a game thats not even going to be on the Wii U).
Didn't the same happen with Snake and MGS4?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Wolf is not a true clone but still shares a similar attack style, and this should be applied to Roy as well, he has the same counter, but his Standard B makes him seemingly different and I don't know what the Side B is but its has a different name apparently.
I can't talk about Roy for now, but Wolf actually has a much more different attack style than Fox. Less combo-oriented and more in-your-face because of the feral nature of his moves. He also feels heavier, slower and has much less aerial mobility but makes up with his power and average attack range.

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Ok so what the hell would the proper term for Wolf and Lucas should be??? There not clones, but they are similar to Ness/Fox, yet they have different moves and properties, however their not completely original.

Either way this is what Roy should have been in this game, that or Ganon/Falco semi

Last edited:
Top Bottom