• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sora: A new perspective on why he might make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
SmashChu said:
Yes but remember he sayed "asking for only popular characters dosn't get me excited.

Although Sorea could work, theres just so many better options, ones that Nintendo will probobly take. Also I doubt he's real keen on more 3rd party. As I said the 3rd party characters have a low chance so Sora's chances arn't soring.
He was probably talking about 1st party characters... Background characters like Laughing Dog and Harry from Teleroboxer. I doubt he would want to add an unpopular 3rd party character and I thought that was pretty obvious to everyone.

They could make a lot more money AND please the fans by adding popular 3rd party characters like Sonic.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
some people need to remember that the point of smash for a large part is appealing to the old school generation and creating nostalgia.

the reason why Snake fits so well is because a large part of his character is rooted within nintendo.

Sonic/Tails, though not as appealing as snake for old school nintendo, is another viable choice because his popularity amongst the older gaming crowd, plus being one of the few third party characters to have a real fan base comparable to other franchises from nintendo. Plus Sega seems to have given nintendo alot more concentration for sonic games than other platforms. Sega is also different from Sony simply because they do not make their own Console.

Sora, is WAAAAYYY too synonymous with Sony and the playstation to consider. Smash is still a game wrapped with nintendo history

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
FlipTroopa said:
Regardless: Sora belongs to Disney, not Squeenix.
???

How does Sora belong to Disney? Kingdom Hearts was a Square Enix game and it only had the characters and voice actors, so Sora belongs to Square, since they created him, which means that Geno has an equal chance of getting into Brawl.

Scratch that, Geno has a much better chance.

realsnake1020

Smash Rookie
thats why snake is so uniqe to the other 3rd party charaters people want in the game, sakurai probably wont count snake as a 3rd party character when he said the phrase we all fear so much :

"Anyways, at most we'll add another 1-2 characters, maybe?"
i reckon more than 1-2 characters will be added a better idea would have been to choose several games and add 1-2 character from that game to SSBB.

he said this as a question and might not technically be refering to snake
because of snake's origins with nintendo. well thats in my opion, i think snake isnt truely going to be counted as a 3rd party character since he had 4 games on nintendo consoles and only truely became nown because of nintendo.

EDIT : he probably already had plans for who he wanted to be in it from a 3rd party game. hes sly hes probably tricked us all ... just like kojima.

EDIT : by this i mean that he already has plans for who he wanted in the game he did not count snake as one of them, because he already knew he had him in the game.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
3rd party characters means they're from a third party creator. Konami is 3rd party, and makes the Metal Gear games so Snake is a third party character.

The problem with this "business perspective" is that it isn't a good thing for Nintendo or Square-enix. Think of it this way, if Nintendo goes to Square and asks to use Sora in the game what's in it for Square business wise? KH games are focused as Sony games (with talk of a PSP game, so its doubtful for another Nintendo handheld to get one) and Square Enix would be better off putting a character from Dragon Quest (which had way more games on Nintendo and has another one coming out soon) or from the Final Fantasy games (that originated on the NES, none from the Sony era)

If we go the other way and Square goes to Nintendo- what do they have? Sakurai has a character that Nintendo has seen once in a game before and would have to base his moves off of that one game. Since Sakurai seems to not like constrictions, this would be a problem. He likes to think out of the box and having his team play a game that's not on a Nintendo system to even get ideas just doesn't sound right. (Snake uses simple weapons, while Sora would have to have specific abilities from his games much like Mario)

Finally - in the American versions Sora is voiced by Haley Joel Osment. Nintendo would have to hire him and pay money for the voice when they could easily get a different character and not have to pay as much.

Business wise to sell games it COULD work, but Smash is what I like to call a "gateway game" for people. It might be for the hardcore gamers, but it has always been for the casual gamer (easy to pick up, play, and put down for another day). It takes the casual gamer who only knows Mario to play Zelda games or seek out Fire Emblem.

Which is why I have a weird feeling we might see Snake back on the system (Better than the Twin Snakes game) - Sora will only make it if there's a KH game on Wii which is unlikely.

Pikawil

Smash Cadet
Problem is, Sora and all the original KH characters are owned by DISNEY, and you know how touchy they are with their licenses...

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I wanted to clear this up before it goes on any longer. Sora is a Disney character. On the official website it says 'Sora a new Disney character designed by Tetsuya Nomura'. I've provided the picture below so you can stop saying "he is Square" now.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Yep, that's true. And because of that, it will crush his already low chances of getting in the game. Besides, even if he was Square property, they can use Geno because he was in Mario's first RPG.

-Mace-Solo-

Smash Apprentice
Chill said:
I wanted to clear this up before it goes on any longer. Sora is a Disney character. On the official website it says 'Sora a new Disney character designed by Tetsuya Nomura'. I've provided the picture below so you can stop saying "he is Square" now.
Fascinating. I never knew that. Thank you for the information, it was much appreciated on my part.

Well, I suppose that does do a bit of a crushing blow to Sora in his chances for Brawl.

And to however said that they'd rather have Sora than Geno... that's the first I've seen of that. Now, mind you, I haven't played a Kingdom Hearts game, much less have seen one. Other than Chain of Memories for the GBA. But have you played Super Mario RPG? He's truly a fascinating character. It's just hard for me to imagine thinking of someone to put over him. So what I'm saying basically is, Sora must be one pretty cool guy.

-Mace-Solo-

Smash Apprentice
Stryks said:
That would be so awesome, either him or sephiroth either way it would rock

Sephiroth? Cut off 3/4ths of that "6 at a time cow killer 'knife'" and MAYBE we'll talk.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow that's crappy. Squaresoft does all the work, including designing the characters and they all belong to Disney?!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You know, come to think of it, Pit looks kinda like Sora, the hairstyle. At least in the front.

or maybe it's just me. Dont know why, they just look very similar.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's just you. Plenty of characters have that hairstyle. Theirs are completely different. They're even parted differently. Pit's hair breaks into... er... those... braidy things way lower than Sora's breaks off into spikes. Now to mention Sora's hair is spiky while Pit's soft andflowing.

ilabb

Smash Apprentice
On a business standpoint, I actually think Sora would be a BAD idea. I mean, think about it. If people like Sora in SSBB if he's in it when it comes out, people aren't going to be like "HOLY CRAP I'M GOING TO GO BUY KINGDOM HEARTS CHAIN OF MEMORIES NOW!!" They'll go for the games that people outside of the KH fandom actually know about, KH and KHII for the Playstation 2.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Chill said:

Thanks. I guess these guys needed a few more people to say it ^_^;;

EDIT:

In response to the guy who said it was lame Disney got all the KH original chars: Yeah, it is, but that's business. In exchange for some profit, Squeenix relinquishes the rights to any original characters in Kingdom Hearts created for or by Disney. This has happened before even with Nintendo: despite having been created by Rare, many of the DKC characters were always Nintendo property, even while Rare was 2nd party.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
kirby_fox said:
The problem with this "business perspective" is that it isn't a good thing for Nintendo or Square-enix. Think of it this way, if Nintendo goes to Square and asks to use Sora in the game what's in it for Square business wise? KH games are focused as Sony games (with talk of a PSP game, so its doubtful for another Nintendo handheld to get one) and Square Enix would be better off putting a character from Dragon Quest (which had way more games on Nintendo and has another one coming out soon) or from the Final Fantasy games (that originated on the NES, none from the Sony era)

If we go the other way and Square goes to Nintendo- what do they have? Sakurai has a character that Nintendo has seen once in a game before and would have to base his moves off of that one game. Since Sakurai seems to not like constrictions, this would be a problem. He likes to think out of the box and having his team play a game that's not on a Nintendo system to even get ideas just doesn't sound right. (Snake uses simple weapons, while Sora would have to have specific abilities from his games much like Mario)

Finally - in the American versions Sora is voiced by Haley Joel Osment. Nintendo would have to hire him and pay money for the voice when they could easily get a different character and not have to pay as much.

Business wise to sell games it COULD work, but Smash is what I like to call a "gateway game" for people. It might be for the hardcore gamers, but it has always been for the casual gamer (easy to pick up, play, and put down for another day). It takes the casual gamer who only knows Mario to play Zelda games or seek out Fire Emblem.

Which is why I have a weird feeling we might see Snake back on the system (Better than the Twin Snakes game) - Sora will only make it if there's a KH game on Wii which is unlikely.
Very good post. Thats the kind of stuff I was asking for before. I'd provide counterpoints and debate with you, but now that we know Sora is Disney's property, there is a 0% chance of him getting in the game.

And you're right about seeing Snake back on the system. Kojima announced that MGS4 is heading to the Wii. Now we can all look forward to going home and playing with our Wii's while we control our Snake (Puns intended).

burrito

Smash Lord
SamuraiPanda said:
And you're right about seeing Snake back on the system. Kojima announced that MGS4 is heading to the Wii. Now we can all look forward to going home and playing with our Wii's while we control our Snake (Puns intended).
Are you serious? Where? When?[size=+2] I need a link!!!![/size]

realsnake1020

Smash Rookie
Is it a striaght out port or are there going to be alot of changes?
post a link right now i want proof darn it proof!

fluffy

Smash Champion
the company making this game is sora...and sora fits well for a 3rd party character...

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
There are better 3rd party characters that could fit. I'll name three even though there are only two slots left. Banjo-Kazooie, Sonic, and Geno all fit much better than Sora.

Also, like other people have said 100 times, it would give publicity to the KH games on the PS2, which is definetly a bad thing for Nintendo.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad I could give you some good debate there Samurai- but I'd love to see where MGS4 was announced for the Wii. I know there was a rumor about it from a huge online post, the same one that said there was a camera and could capture a person's image and would have graphics so realistic that Sony and MS wouldn't be able to keep up...yet we haven't seen anything from this yet...

That's not what your talking about I hope- since that was never proven...

Apollo

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright, having played both Kingdom Hearts and Super Mario RPG, the post stating that Geno would "fit" into the format of SSMB much better than Sora does not make very much sense to me. The actual style of gameplay between Smash and Hearts is MUCH MORE similar than that of Smash and an RPG. I would love to see both in the game, but as far as characters "fitting" go, I can't think of a whole lot of other characters that would adapt so well to smash than Sora.

burrito

Smash Lord
Apollo said:
Alright, having played both Kingdom Hearts and Super Mario RPG, the post stating that Geno would "fit" into the format of SSMB much better than Sora does not make very much sense to me. The actual style of gameplay between Smash and Hearts is MUCH MORE similar than that of Smash and an RPG. I would love to see both in the game, but as far as characters "fitting" go, I can't think of a whole lot of other characters that would adapt so well to smash than Sora.
I don't think he means that Geno will fit in the format better, he means that Geno will fit in as a character better. He represents Nintendo, yet Sora represents Sony.

Link'sShadow

Smash Journeyman
I think Sora would be profitable in Brawl (As much as I dislike 3rd parties) but there are few hurdles.

1. Like Samurai Panda said Nintendo and Square aren't buddies (why is your avatar a penguin?)
2. I don't think Nintendo will want to mix the disney world and the video game world (namely because
of licenses).

meteorstorm42

Smash Apprentice
Wow, you know I never realized Sora had been on a Nintendo console, lol, you're right. His chances are no longer 0%, they went up to 1%! Yay! (Too bad Tifa wasn't in Chain of Memories, lol...)

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
You know, I didn't read a word past the first post of this page. Honestly I don't even have the energy to wade through these character suggestion topics anymore. Ever since Snake got in, in addition to the onslaught of Daisy, Waluigi, Boshi, as well as the neverending tide of Pokemon, fans all clambouring to see their insignificant, unimportant characters highlighted Smash Bros, motivated solely by their admirable, but fanatical devotion to THEIR character, rather than any semblence of logic dictating what actually would make any sort of sense both in terms of character personality and believability, but also in terms of money and copyrights, we have the Cloud fans and the Megaman fans and the Sonic fans, and yes even the Sora fans all joining the metaphorical battle to defend the honor and posterity of their respective golden calves.

All of this for what? For them to be forced into a game with which they have no association? What link is there between Sora and Mario? Sora and Link? Sora and Pikachu? None. They are all video game characters. Well, if we're throwing in Sora, then let's throw in MY favorite character, Prince Alexander of Kings Quest IV! Or MY favorite character, Gimli from the Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers! Or MY favorite character Barbie, from the various Barbie psuedo video games! The list continues. The only link (pun intended) between Mario and Pikachu is that they are owned by the same company, and when it comes down to it, that is the only link that matters. Sure, Nintendo caved for Snake. Great, let's just throw in everybody and their friend. Let's take characters like Sora and Cloud OUT of the environments which made them wonderful characters, out of the hands of the writers which made them amazing characters, and out of the control of those who actually know how to use them, and stuff them into a game which has nothing to do with them just so that we can make all the little fanboys, who have no concept of characterization, theme, or anything else that goes into writing and/or creating a video game, and simply wants to see THEIR character worshiped by all the way they worship said character, can be happy.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sora. I love Kingdom Hearts. You know what makes Kingdom Hearts a good game, what makes Sora, Riku, and the rest great characters? Them being contained within the Kingdom Hearts world, in the hands of those who created these characters and know how they are most effectively used. Take that away and you lose everything that makes them what they are.

I appologize for my rant, I'm just tired of the constant parade of lip service topics all meant to highlight opinions which, no offense, just don't hold much water when they are examined critically.

So, do I think Sora's got a prayer? No. Do I think he should have a prayer? **** no. Do I think you have a right to disagree with me? Yes. Will you be right if you do? No. ;)

End Rant. Goodnight.

Andy

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
ilabb said:
On a business standpoint, I actually think Sora would be a BAD idea. I mean, think about it. If people like Sora in SSBB if he's in it when it comes out, people aren't going to be like "HOLY CRAP I'M GOING TO GO BUY KINGDOM HEARTS CHAIN OF MEMORIES NOW!!" They'll go for the games that people outside of the KH fandom actually know about, KH and KHII for the Playstation 2.
****, I always thought that it would be like: "WHOMG SORA IS IN TEH SSBB!!! WHOMG I GOTTA GO BUY A WII SO I CANZ USE SORA"
and that would bring some KH Fanboys looking into the Nintendo stuff.

However, since Sora is disney it looks unlikely.
Also there is that Wii60 thing and I think it might lead to bad Nintendo-Sony relations.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Noypi_GjD said:
****, I always thought that it would be like: "WHOMG SORA IS IN TEH SSBB!!! WHOMG I GOTTA GO BUY A WII SO I CANZ USE SORA"
and that would bring some KH Fanboys looking into the Nintendo stuff.

However, since Sora is disney it looks unlikely.
Also there is that Wii60 thing and I think it might lead to bad Nintendo-Sony relations.
I give you Exhibit A:
RaRaRachael: Sora should def be in!! kick *** character as far as i am concerned

RaRaRachael

Smash Ace
Yuna, why dont you think Sora should be in Brawl? I mean Marth is in it. Wait, thats actually a really bad example lol. If you think Sora is too "anime/Disneyish" or whatever I can agree with you on that. But i was just really wondering why you dont think he would be good??

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Disney owns him. Disney is greedy. Disney won't license him out unless Nintendo plays plenty of money. Besides, Sora doesn't appear on any Nintendo-console game besides CoM and I doubt people are gonna run off to buy that!

Pikawil

Smash Cadet
Yuna said:
Disney owns him. Disney is greedy. Disney won't license him out unless Nintendo plays plenty of money.
Exactly why I hate Michael Eisner.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Disney is evil prime example on how a 'good' company went to the dark side..=\

I swore that Square owned the rights to KH and all its "original" characters, but if Disney really owns them then wow **** you disney..=\

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
Yuna isn't 3rd party.

Yuna is a FIRST PARTY DISNEY CREATION. IDC who made him, he's liscened and OWNED by the FIRST PARTY ANIMATION AND ENTERTAINMENT company, Disney.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Well I have to say that Im with you SamuraiPanda (^_^)!!!

Look people, Im about to make a few points and I HOPE you all really think about them.

1. Sora wouldn't fit in- WTF!?!?! Did anyone think Snake would fit before he was seen? And look at Pitt. . . THEY LOOK LIKE THEY COULD BE FROM THE SAME GAME. . . They had characters like Sora in mind when they made Pitt. And he doesn't look Disney at all.

2. Sora doesn't have a long, important history or impact with Nintendo- Well I guess it's a good thing that he said that they ONLY had to have a game on a Nintendo system and nothing about history or or impact on Nintendo.

3. Sora is owned by Disney- As fare as I know NO, Square owns him. And I remember hearing that S-N is helping Nintendo make the Wii so they most be close to some level.

4. Theres better choices- SOOO WHAT!!! I think that given all the things they have to do to GET a 3rd Party character they would do it as more of a BUSSINESS duel than some " Everyone wants this character so lets go half way to h@LL trying to get it so that people that already like the game will like it better." . They will do it as a bussiness action and not like a popularity thing for those who already are fans.

5. Thats not going to happen because it will make KH more popular which will help Sony- WRONG, it would GET KH FANS TO BUY THE GAME! And guess what. . . MGS is coming out for the PS3 but Snake made it in and nobodies worrying about the fans MGS will get from him being in this game. It will only BRING IN fans of that character not make them (I loved SSBM but I didn't buy SF Assult/ F-Zero/ WW or ANY Mario games because of it.). But even if it did make that 3rd party character more popular would Nintendo care? It did it's job by bringing in fans of that character which boasted the income.

I got to go to a club now so sorry if I have misspells. . . don't have time to check. (But Im not done yet so I might repost this with more points.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom