• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94

That feel when you come up with a spring setup on the fly.

In hindsight I just wanted to use that picture, I seen Cam use it on twitter and just had to find an excuse to use it. Since I'm here I'm gonna just curse at the fact that I'm not getting updates again lol. Guess I missed the whole Cam vs ANTi thing, I didn't even know there was an event going on. Since I got my PS4 I haven't been keeping up or playing Smash tbh.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
looks like Camalange is going to be playing ANTi:

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios

at least according to the bracket.
Go Cam!

Though Anti has amazing reaction times, but still.
I faced him in Winners Semis. I took one round off his ZSS but lost the set.

Ended up placing 4th. Took 2nd in doubles too.

In hindsight I just wanted to use that picture, I seen Cam use it on twitter and just had to find an excuse to use it. Since I'm here I'm gonna just curse at the fact that I'm not getting updates again lol. Guess I missed the whole Cam vs ANTi thing, I didn't even know there was an event going on. Since I got my PS4 I haven't been keeping up or playing Smash tbh.
I never actually posted it, which annoyed me because my quote was taken out of context with this image.

My set against ANTi is online now.

:093:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94

I'd give it an S rank.

Amazing job as always when I see you play. Every time I see you play I just say "Dang. I gotta be a bit more active with Sonic.", when I see your fights and look at mine I feel like I'm weighted down with steel boots or something, dare I say...Sonic Labyrinth? It makes me jealous sometimes but how petty, right?

Watching that makes me want to turn on Smash and just play until I'm sick of it again lol but just watching was enough, still occupied with other games, I'll have a lot to catch up on. Whatever. It's always a pleasure seeing you rock out. Keep inspiring me to go faster brah.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'd give it an S rank.

Amazing job as always when I see you play. Every time I see you play I just say "Dang. I gotta be a bit more active with Sonic.", when I see your fights and look at mine I feel like I'm weighted down with steel boots or something, dare I say...Sonic Labyrinth? It makes me jealous sometimes but how petty, right?

Watching that makes me want to turn on Smash and just play until I'm sick of it again lol but just watching was enough, still occupied with other games, I'll have a lot to catch up on. Whatever. It's always a pleasure seeing you rock out. Keep inspiring me to go faster brah.
Thanks. This is why I really need to do a more in-depth breakdown on Sonic's movement options. I want to help everyone feel like they're utilizing Sonic's speed to his full potential.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94

"Look, ramps! We can use them as ramps!"

:O

How do you even...
Its painful.

Thanks. This is why I really need to do a more in-depth breakdown on Sonic's movement options. I want to help everyone feel like they're utilizing Sonic's speed to his full potential.

That'd be pretty sweet. It'd certainy be useful. I also didn't know you played doubles either, 2nd placement? Beautiful. Who was your partner?

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
That'd be pretty sweet. It'd certainy be useful. I also didn't know you played doubles either, 2nd placement? Beautiful. Who was your partner?
It's been a long time coming, lol.

Yeah. I took 2nd last week too at another tournament. I've actually won and have been in grand finals for doubles more than I have singles. Sonic is doubles god and I've gotten quite good at it.

This week I partnered with C3PO. Last week was Waldo, the Ike who recently beat Marss. I usually team with Lawz. I've also teamed with GwJ and Darkblues in the past.

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
It's really funny that for being the fastest thing alive, Sonic's movement options is his least explored aspect, it feels like.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I faced him in Winners Semis. I took one round off his ZSS but lost the set.

Ended up placing 4th. Took 2nd in doubles too.

I never actually posted it, which annoyed me because my quote was taken out of context with this image.

Lol, that Spring getting stuck in the ground.

But anyway, that is some really amazing skills Cam. I wish I could be that good with Sonic. Actually, with any character as a matter of fact.

"Look, ramps! We can use them as ramps!"

:O

How do you even...
I think I lost part of my soul watching this.

That's awesome man! But I think it's too late for me. I don't think I will ever be good or can ever be good at Sonic.

:135:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Sonic is very good as a complementary role in doubles.
If the partner approaches, Sonic can stay in the back and tank the stocks.
If the partner is to play safe/campy, Sonic can rush down.
Also, Sonic has some moves that are good for starting doubles combos (throws), increasing them (Fair, Nair, Ftilt) or finish them (Bair, Smashes).
:196:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Lol, that Spring getting stuck in the ground.
lmao I've seen the glitch happen before but really funny to see it in such a high stakes match. I couldn't help but laugh.
But anyway, that is some really amazing skills Cam. I wish I could be that good with Sonic. Actually, with any character as a matter of fact.
Thank you, and I try to put out as much resources as I can to help everyone do what they want to do with Sonic. Keep working at it.
That's awesome man! But I think it's too late for me. I don't think I will ever be good or can ever be good at Sonic.

Well, with that attitude...

Can't give up.
More godly than Cloud or Villager? PogChamp
Maybe better than Villager.

Villager's shenanigans got nerfed.
Sonic is very good as a complementary role in doubles.
If the partner approaches, Sonic can stay in the back and tank the stocks.
If the partner is to play safe/campy, Sonic can rush down.
Also, Sonic has some moves that are good for starting doubles combos (throws), increasing them (Fair, Nair, Ftilt) or finish them (Bair, Smashes).
:196:
Sonic can escape.
Sonic can stock tank.
Sonic can 2 v 1.
Sonic can recover.
Sonic can kill.
Sonic can punish.
Sonic can protect teammates.
Sonic can recover teammates.

He's capable of fulfilling basically every role.

He's partnered best with characters who have safe and reliable kill confirms either on their own our out of his set-ups.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
lmao I've seen the glitch happen before but really funny to see it in such a high stakes match. I couldn't help but laugh.
Lol, it's never happened for me. Does the hitbox still say out?

Thank you, and I try to put out as much resources as I can to help everyone do what they want to do with Sonic. Keep working at it.

Well, with that attitude...

Can't give up.

That's awesome to hear. Really good job on it all.

Yeah, I know it's not the attitude to have but, I always seem to have problem with these types of characters (Sonic, Melee Fox, Sheik etc) where I just can't pull of any of there complicated ultimate super skill things without just going 'what?'

Reason why I stick with easier characters like Roy, Pit and Robin.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Maybe better than Villager.

Villager's shenanigans got nerfed.

Should I buy the champagne now or later? I never really Sonic's in doubles, ever since Cloud dropped that's usually what I see most of the time. But whatever, Sonic is top 10 in singles and according to you he's a god in doubles. The blur has come a long way since Brawl, its great. Now if there is a Smash5 they better not make him ass or make it even worse by just not putting him in the game but let's be real that wouldn't happen at this point. Better not.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Yeah, I know it's not the attitude to have but, I always seem to have problem with these types of characters (Sonic, Melee Fox, Sheik etc) where I just can't pull of any of there complicated ultimate super skill things without just going 'what?'

Reason why I stick with easier characters like Roy, Pit and Robin.

This is roughly the same issue I had about a year ago with Sonic. I was in the exact same position and mindset with attempting to play the character. Maybe what I did to get better can help you- so here's what I did to help me get to a higher play level for Sonic:

I read up on the specific techniques that Sonic can use as well as generic ones that are good to know for all characters, from short hops to pivot grabs to spinshots. Knowing the actual moves is important, even if you can't execute them yet. If you understand the basics of what is needed for the moves themselves, it makes pulling them off easier later.

I spent about 10 to 15 minutes before going to bed for a series of nights practicing a specific technique or combo until I had it down pretty well. Then I moved on to the next one the next night. This timing is mostly because of how busy I am; more practice is better.
After that, it was just about implementation. Whenever playing Smash, if the technique pops into your head while playing, try using it. Maybe even keep a little checklist to make sure you tried a specific move or two in battle. Little by little you'll get used to actually remembering the moves when playing and using them in a timely manner.

All in all, it took me about 5-6 months to see any real progress in my playstyle ( taking into accout that I could only practice for a short time a day). For example, one day I just suddenly executed a perfect spinshot without even thinking about it, and now that's becoming more and more common in my playstyle.
You'll get there. It may take awhile, but you'll get there.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Lol, it's never happened for me. Does the hitbox still say out?
Nope. It's just there. Being all glitchy.
Should I buy the champagne now or later? I never really Sonic's in doubles, ever since Cloud dropped that's usually what I see most of the time. But whatever, Sonic is top 10 in singles and according to you he's a god in doubles. The blur has come a long way since Brawl, its great. Now if there is a Smash5 they better not make him *** or make it even worse by just not putting him in the game but let's be real that wouldn't happen at this point. Better not.
I think Sonic is top 8 in singles and at least top 5, maybe top 3 in doubles.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
This is roughly the same issue I had about a year ago with Sonic. I was in the exact same position and mindset with attempting to play the character. Maybe what I did to get better can help you- so here's what I did to help me get to a higher play level for Sonic:

I read up on the specific techniques that Sonic can use as well as generic ones that are good to know for all characters, from short hops to pivot grabs to spinshots. Knowing the actual moves is important, even if you can't execute them yet. If you understand the basics of what is needed for the moves themselves, it makes pulling them off easier later.

I spent about 10 to 15 minutes before going to bed for a series of nights practicing a specific technique or combo until I had it down pretty well. Then I moved on to the next one the next night. This timing is mostly because of how busy I am; more practice is better.
After that, it was just about implementation. Whenever playing Smash, if the technique pops into your head while playing, try using it. Maybe even keep a little checklist to make sure you tried a specific move or two in battle. Little by little you'll get used to actually remembering the moves when playing and using them in a timely manner.

All in all, it took me about 5-6 months to see any real progress in my playstyle ( taking into accout that I could only practice for a short time a day). For example, one day I just suddenly executed a perfect spinshot without even thinking about it, and now that's becoming more and more common in my playstyle.
You'll get there. It may take awhile, but you'll get there.
This is really good advice. Thanks! I'll try to use this more and more often. Though before I practise Sonics At, I should problem get perfect pivots and other moves like Extended Dash Dancing down pat.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Do you think anything will ever change for Sonic? Like maybe he might slip a few spots on the tier list? Or maybe he may somehow go higher?
For a top tier character, Sonic's WAAAAAAAY to honest to be top 5. He doesn't have a kill throw, his damage output, while very good, isn't enough to make any really good combo strings, he can't land at all, and the fact that he's a bait and punish character alone screams that he can't be a top 5 contender. I also don't think that he's had the results of the other top tiers outside of locals and minor tournies (in fact I think some low tier characters are on par with Sonic in terms of results).

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
This is really good advice. Thanks! I'll try to use this more and more often. Though before I practise Sonics At, I should problem get perfect pivots and other moves like Extended Dash Dancing down pat.

Glad I could help. The process of getting techniques and combos down can be an aggravating and annoying one especially if you're going through what I did, but its well worth it in the end.
On that note, I've noticed that lately I've started getting this strange feeling in some matches; like a "spidey-sense" of sorts. Albeit very rare, It tends to happen right before an opponent is juxtaposed in a very perfect spot for me to do a specific combo or punish. Almost every time this has happened, I can perfectly set up on my opponent for that instance.
Its such a strange but amazing experience.
Has anyone else had this happen to them?
I hope its not cancerous.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Do you think anything will ever change for Sonic? Like maybe he might slip a few spots on the tier list? Or maybe he may somehow go higher?
It's hard to say. If anything I might lean towards him dropping a little but I can't imagine him ever falling as low as out of top 15. Absolutely not a top 5 character though.
For a top tier character, Sonic's WAAAAAAAY to honest to be top 5. He doesn't have a kill throw, his damage output, while very good, isn't enough to make any really good combo strings, he can't land at all, and the fact that he's a bait and punish character alone screams that he can't be a top 5 contender. I also don't think that he's had the results of the other top tiers outside of locals and minor tournies (in fact I think some low tier characters are on par with Sonic in terms of results).
Well, he does have kill throws, but they're weaker than all of the other kill throws, lol. His damage output is really good, and honestly so are his combo confirms. Like, Sonic is still very good. He also has some of if not the best mobility, evasive tactics (you guys take Spring for granted) and a lot of tools that help keep him slippery and break neutral. The problem is though he relies on the bait & punish as said as well as basically avoiding neutral... Plus outside of his damage combos he relies on rare 50/50 or just hard reads for his kills, can't safely pressure shield, lacks a good neutral game, and requires a lot of time to yield results.

Whether people want to admit it or not, there's a reason why you only see Sonic mains and no one with a pocket Sonic. He doesn't have any match-ups that he dominantly takes in the top tier that another top tier can't cover better, plus he's one of the most technical characters in the game with his multitude of mix-ups and movement options that demand precision and practice... You can't just run around and spin at a top level without knowing every little quirk to it.

Sonic's weird.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Off topic, but am the only one who want's Sonic to be voice be the same VA who does the Scout in TF2?

Nope. It's just there. Being all glitchy.
Lol

Sonic still glitches character. Must be a result from Sonic '06

Glad I could help. The process of getting techniques and combos down can be an aggravating and annoying one especially if you're going through what I did, but its well worth it in the end.
Yeah. thanks for the advice again.
On that note, I've noticed that lately I've started getting this strange feeling in some matches; like a "spidey-sense" of sorts. Albeit very rare, It tends to happen right before an opponent is juxtaposed in a very perfect spot for me to do a specific combo or punish. Almost every time this has happened, I can perfectly set up on my opponent for that instance.
Its such a strange but amazing experience.
Has anyone else had this happen to them?
I hope its not cancerous.
There could be another explanation for this

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
plus he's one of the most technical characters in the game with his multitude of mix-ups and movement options that demand precision and practice... You can't just run around and spin at a top level without knowing every little quirk to it.

Sonic's weird.

This

Common consensus from the community: "Sonic is such a brain dead character. Spam and Run, takes no skill or effort to know how to play. Take him out the game."

Lol. People.

Last edited:

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
It's hard to say. If anything I might lean towards him dropping a little but I can't imagine him ever falling as low as out of top 15. Absolutely not a top 5 character though.

Well, he does have kill throws, but they're weaker than all of the other kill throws, lol. His damage output is really good, and honestly so are his combo confirms. Like, Sonic is still very good. He also has some of if not the best mobility, evasive tactics (you guys take Spring for granted) and a lot of tools that help keep him slippery and break neutral. The problem is though he relies on the bait & punish as said as well as basically avoiding neutral... Plus outside of his damage combos he relies on rare 50/50 or just hard reads for his kills, can't safely pressure shield, lacks a good neutral game, and requires a lot of time to yield results.

Whether people want to admit it or not, there's a reason why you only see Sonic mains and no one with a pocket Sonic. He doesn't have any match-ups that he dominantly takes in the top tier that another top tier can't cover better, plus he's one of the most technical characters in the game with his multitude of mix-ups and movement options that demand precision and practice... You can't just run around and spin at a top level without knowing every little quirk to it.

Sonic's weird.

Post this on Reddit and People will laugh at you. That is the saddest part of it all.

Camalange Camalange Would you say MK is an exception as his reward for one punish is a lot more skewed than every other B&P character?

Last edited:

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
"I must kill the cancer!"

"No, Reddit, you ARE the cancer."

And then Reddit was a hedgehog.

Top Bottom