• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX

I knew absolutely everything he was going to say lol

Except for

"But he's still not a top five character"

I'm actually pretty fine with that lol

*Also, in other news, I'm picking up Pikachu to go in the middle of my Sonic and Kirby, and boy does he actually feel somewhat in the middle of those two. I mean, he's got speed and crazy pressure, somewhat reminiscent of Sonic, and a combo game, reminiscent of Kirby. I also read that Pika's actually a somewhat good backup for Sonic so it's icing on the cake if I do truly make him my next main.

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I can confirm that I've unironically said most things in that video at one point or another. Although I still think not putting Sonic in top 5 is reasonable just due to him not having the greatest results lately.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I do wish people understood why Sonic isn't top 5 worthy, but eh, let them complain how annoying he is instead of actually learning how to fight against the character.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Offline, I don't find Sonic that annoying to fight anymore. Boring in certain match ups, but I at least know what I'm doing.

I can't blame people for getting salty over him online, however.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I spent half the video trying to figure out where he was going, then I suddenly realized that I had internally stated almost everything he said at one point or another.
Now I don't know whether to be amused at his satire, or disappointed with the fact that I've basically been "that guy" at one point.
He pretty much nailed it.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
When I started playing competetiv Brawl I would definitely use more than just spin dash. I do use it at moderate intervals, but I've always made the most of Sonic's moveset in each game. In fact I use grab more than I use spin dash.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I spent half the video trying to figure out where he was going, then I suddenly realized that I had internally stated almost everything he said at one point or another.
Now I don't know whether to be amused at his satire, or disappointed with the fact that I've basically been "that guy" at one point.
He pretty much nailed it.
Everyone is "that guy" at some point in their skill development. I only moved past that phase when Espy Rose gave me a dose of reality. =P

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Everyone is "that guy" at some point in their skill development. I only moved past that phase when Espy Rose gave me a dose of reality. =P
I suppose that's true :p. Being reminded of it still makes me cringe a bit though.
It took a Lucario main who solidly put me in my place to teach me that I needed to , as one might put it, "Git gud."

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
That video was pretty funny. Can't believe that is what most people think Sonic is all about

:135:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
That video was pretty funny. Can't believe that is what most people think Sonic is all about

When you start out the life of the game (ie release) with a ton of Sonics going SD > Up Air and literally nothing else, it causes some stereotypes unfortunately.

Even though it's not as widespread now (because many of us, including me, are no longer "that guy"), people are still gonna hate and assume you're braindead for playing a character that rustles their jimmies.

I suppose that's true :p. Being reminded of it still makes me cringe a bit though.
It took a Lucario main who solidly put me in my place to teach me that I needed to , as one might put it, "Git gud."
It took my friend, who's another Sonic main (and much better than I) who beat me in a series of four Sonic dittos for rights to the blue(r) Sonic color to remind me of Cranky Kong's best advice.

You know someone's bad if Sonic dittos aren't equally hell for both parties.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
When you start out the life of the game (ie release) with a ton of Sonics going SD > Up Air and literally nothing else, it causes some stereotypes unfortunately.

Even though it's not as widespread now (because many of us, including me, are no longer "that guy"), people are still gonna hate and assume you're braindead for playing a character that rustles their jimmies.
Yeah, this very same situation happen with another certain character we have all love to hate

:4diddy: Hoo-Ha

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I wasn't that guy
I'm assuming the "that guy" phase applies mostly to anyone who's skill development started post-Brawl

(I started having an iota of an idea of what I was doing during project M, and never turned back but thaaat's a different beast)

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I'm assuming the "that guy" phase applies mostly to anyone who's skill development started post-Brawl

(I started having an iota of an idea of what I was doing during project M, and never turned back but thaaat's a different beast)
Essentially, but in sm4sh I don't use spin dash combos that much because they aren't as effective or easy to connect as they were in Brawl imo.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I dunno. I felt that spin combos were harder to pull off in Brawl. I mostly used them as mind games since the game's was so slow. Its hard to play Brawl again after going into Sm4sh. Its too slow.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
People aren't joking, btw. You should legit be using Spin Dash an absolute **** ton. The thing is though, you don't actually release it unless you see an opening. Frequent shield cancels out of side b are how you apply pressure and do mind games.

Redbane

Smash Cadet
People aren't joking, btw. You should legit be using Spin Dash an absolute **** ton. The thing is, though, you don't actually release it unless you see an opening. Frequent shield cancels out of side b are how you apply pressure and do mind games.
Thanks, I have been only using it to punish. An another player said I should use it more so I just wanted it clarified by other sonic mains.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I struggled for a while to figure out how often on average I should spin. Basically, spin-like moves consist of about a 1/4th or 1/5th of Sonic's damaging moves, from spin dashes to Nairs, to the Homing Attack.

Mindgames abound here thanks to all the similar moves, so use them. Spin so much that the opponent has to think about what you are doing exactly. After enough of one or two types of spin moves, they will have more difficulty guessing what you are going to do next.

In reality, probably at least a third of the match should consist of spin actions, more or less depending on how your opponent can handle them.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I struggled for a while to figure out how often on average I should spin. Basically, spin-like moves consist of about a 1/4th or 1/5th of Sonic's damaging moves, from spin dashes to Nairs, to the Homing Attack.

Mindgames abound here thanks to all the similar moves, so use them. Spin so much that the opponent has to think about what you are doing exactly. After enough of one or two types of spin moves, they will have more difficulty guessing what you are going to do next.

In reality, probably at least a third of the match should consist of spin actions, more or less depending on how your opponent can handle them.
Or how long until their ears start bleeding from the spin noise.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
How frequently Should I Spin Dash in a Match?
Dang it you guys took the good answers already.

Don't feel pressured to have an spindash (SD) quota to fill out or else playing Sonic won't come as naturally.

SD has a crap-ton of mindgames options and utility and it depends on how you use said utilities that'll determine how often you use it. Chances are, yeah, you will be using it a lot, but the thing that makes people think we're skilless for playing Sonic is that they hear the same noise and assume we're doing the same thing, when in reality we're doing one of pages worth of things (when actually playing him well).

There's shield cancelling it (SDSC)
There's shield cancelling it into a standing grab (boost grab)
There's jumping out of it while spinning in place to attack (VSJ) (v: "vertical")
There's jumping while still charging (VSDJ)
There's instantly jumping out of it while spinning with your forward momentum (ISDJ)

Just to name a few.

So yeah, you're gonna be using it a lot for mindgames, but don't let spindashing become so much of a focus that you start doing the same things thinking you're screwing with the opposition when you're just being predictable. Don't do all the tech with all the letters and such just to do it, either. On top of that, don't let it be your only mindgames setup. There's times where not doing it is the best option to bait and punish because they're expecting it. Seriously, mess with someone enough and you can get away with running up to them and doing absolutely nothing and still be in the position to do something out of it.'

TL;DR: You can do a lot with spindash; make sure you know how and when to apply that potential though. (I can personally attest: knowing all of the tech will get you only so far)

Last edited:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Don't feel pressured to have an spindash (SD) quota to fill out or else playing Sonic won't come as naturally.
Literally what I believe to be the most important thing to say here. I forgot to say it though.
Good job.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
this thread is giving me cancer

and that's coming from a sonic main

:093:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
this thread is giving me cancer

and that's coming from a sonic main

:093:
Cancer? That's a funny way to spell "spindash"

Coming from a spindash main

(I just wanted to help someone not become that guy lol)

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Essentially, but in sm4sh I don't use spin dash combos that much because they aren't as effective or easy to connect as they were in Brawl imo.
They're way more effective and way easier to string though. :applejack:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Hey I just noticed that the Peach ratio went from a +1 to an even matchup. How so? F-air can really hurt Peach's float, we can outcamp her for days, and if we can out pressure her there's not much we can do. Unless if someone made a blatant simplification based on a few results *cough* Seagull Joe *cough*, then I can't find it to be an even mu at all.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
You guys might of already discussed this but, How does Sonic do against Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta?

Top Bottom