• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Yellow was LAME because you had to play with a physically tubbs Pikachu.

Whole pokemon series is great.

I think I liked the Golden Sun series more though.

Advance Wars is up there too.

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
Yellow was LAME because you had to play with a physically tubbs Pikachu.

Whole pokemon series is great.

I think I liked the Golden Sun series more though.

Advance Wars is up there too.
ooo i loved golden sun and advance wars was pretty good but i liked fire emblem more... did anyone get into the dragon quest monster series? not the normal dq games but the ones with monsters on your team? those were my favorite and theres a new one coming out soon ^^

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
I've played the **** out of every Pokemon game and played it competitively in 3 of the generations, and I have to say that 2nd gen is still my favorite to this day. 1st gen (except for Yellow) comes in at a close second.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Each pokémon you find is different. So you can maximize the stat for a given pokémon. More precisely, I think each stat has a random number between 1 and 15. The higher this number is (I think it's called DV), the higher the max of a given stat will be. Say you have a mewtwo with DV 1 in speed. When you're level 100 and all stats maxed out, his speed is going to be 200. But if you have a mewtwo with a DV of 15 in speed, then his max speed will be 300.
This is just how I remember it, might be inacurate/totally wrong. But basically, you want to find the best pokémons. You can check gamefaqs or other dedicated websites for actual computations. And I recently learned (in SWF) that you can RNG your pokémons, so that's one way to go.
Oh and developping fighting strategies also means playing competitively. Noobs like me would have 4 powerfull attacks, instead of "smarter" stuff (haste/heal/whatever).

Olikus

Smash Champion
Noobs like me would have 4 powerfull attacks, instead of "smarter" stuff (haste/heal/whatever).
I used 4 powerfull attacks on all pokemon when i was little lol. No when i play competitvly I never have more than 2, often only 1 high damage attack :p

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
Each pokémon you find is different. So you can maximize the stat for a given pokémon. More precisely, I think each stat has a random number between 1 and 15. The higher this number is (I think it's called DV), the higher the max of a given stat will be. Say you have a mewtwo with DV 1 in speed. When you're level 100 and all stats maxed out, his speed is going to be 200. But if you have a mewtwo with a DV of 15 in speed, then his max speed will be 300.
This is just how I remember it, might be inacurate/totally wrong. But basically, you want to find the best pokémons. You can check gamefaqs or other dedicated websites for actual computations. And I recently learned (in SWF) that you can RNG your pokémons, so that's one way to go.
Oh and developping fighting strategies also means playing competitively. Noobs like me would have 4 powerfull attacks, instead of "smarter" stuff (haste/heal/whatever).
you are right in the most part. however its called EV training and there are certain pokemon that give certain EV points to a certain stat. ex: lets say pikachu specializes in giving you a speed EV point, then once you beat a bunch and basically "cap" your speed EV points, your speed will grow more than what it would have been if you had leveled up from fighting other pokemon who dont give as much EV points in that area. There are things that help this kind of training like Macho Brace. ive only ever done this for one of the games, but then some people started hacking and it made me so angry i stopped. lawl i hope i explained this right... -____-''

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Right idea, but most of this is wrong (LOLOLOL)

The hidden values are called IVs (individual values), and they range from 0-31 in each stat. These are predetermined and random, but you can breed and otherwise manipulate the game (legally) to influence the chance of higher (or lower) IVs. At level 100, your pokemon will have 0-31 more stat points in each stat, based on their IVs.

EVs (effort values) are another hidden value, and each pokemon can have something like 510 total EVs spread across all stats. You can have a max of 255 EVs (binary cap?) in a single stat, though. For every 4 EVs in a stat, at level 100, your pokemon will gain an extra stat point. These are not predetermined and are gained by fighting pokemon who yield stat EVs. For example, if you fight a Pidgey in the wild and kill it, all pokemon who participated in the battle get 1 Speed EV. Items like the macho brace can double your EV gain to speed up the process. Since 510 is not divisible by 4, there will be wasted EVs in the end. This is unavoidable.

Don't ask why I know so much about this, but let's just say that once I play a game, I ruin it for myself by doing everything possible to figure out how it works.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Semp, it was 0-15 in 1st Gen I believe, so that's probably what Sangoku was talking about. Not sure how it works in 1st Gen.

But IVs aren't that important because you can basically have max IVs (or slightly less for certain Hidden Powers) on simulators... and not playing on Pokemon simulators is kind of noobish.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Ah, right, well I don't know much about the first generation in that regard. All my experimenting was done in the 3rd.

And how is not playing on a simulator noobish!? Are you saying that those of us who play on actual cartridges are noobs!?

Why, back in my day, I had to ride my bicycle up and down long stretches of road just to hatch eggs repeatedly with about a 99% fail rate of getting the IVs I wanted. *shakes fist*

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
Actually playing on a simulator is the way to go now, because people got tired of having to train them and what not. And after wasting hundreds of hours of their lives actually making their pokemon perfect, it's understandable if they don't want to continue.

Picture playing Chess, but in order to play you have to travel the world and find each piece individually, and then paint the pieces an exact colour, and then get some chinese monk to engrave them with a proverb or some ****, and THEN you are allowed to play, some 40 years later.

Competitive 1st and 2nd gen are a joke. There are 6 or 7 things that are commonly used and that's about it. Most unbalanced competitive game in the world.

4th gen is where it's at. 5th gen is home to some seriously homosexual ****, so most competitors stick with 4th.

If you want to learn about it just go to that section of the boards.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Wow didn't expect everyone would correct me. I know it's mostly wrong and I know where to look up if I want the correct explanation. I just wanted to give nova a quick glance on how poké could be played competitively. I myself never played it competitively.

:phone:

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
Right idea, but most of this is wrong (LOLOLOL)

The hidden values are called IVs (individual values), and they range from 0-31 in each stat. These are predetermined and random, but you can breed and otherwise manipulate the game (legally) to influence the chance of higher (or lower) IVs. At level 100, your pokemon will have 0-31 more stat points in each stat, based on their IVs.

EVs (effort values) are another hidden value, and each pokemon can have something like 510 total EVs spread across all stats. You can have a max of 255 EVs (binary cap?) in a single stat, though. For every 4 EVs in a stat, at level 100, your pokemon will gain an extra stat point. These are not predetermined and are gained by fighting pokemon who yield stat EVs. For example, if you fight a Pidgey in the wild and kill it, all pokemon who participated in the battle get 1 Speed EV. Items like the macho brace can double your EV gain to speed up the process. Since 510 is not divisible by 4, there will be wasted EVs in the end. This is unavoidable.

Don't ask why I know so much about this, but let's just say that once I play a game, I ruin it for myself by doing everything possible to figure out how it works.
LOL its been a kind of a bit but i was way off... actually the way i mentioned was how i maxed out my stats and it worked lol... ._.'' thanks for the correction... now i look dumb ^^

The Star King

Smash Hero
What Mr Wizzrobe said. Playing on simulators is better in every way, and test only your battle skill, not how little of a life you have, how lucky you are, or even whether you were there for special event Pokemon.

Yeah, I heard Gen 1 is extremely limited in options (which is to be expected with 151 Pokemon I guess), and Gen 2 is stally as all hell, like the Brawl of Pokemon. I also heard 5th Gen is bad, but I'm not sure why. So I guess only Gen 3 and 4 are good competitively lol

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
What Mr Wizzrobe said. Playing on simulators is better in every way, and test only your battle skill, not how little of a life you have, how lucky you are, or even whether you were there for special event Pokemon.

Yeah, I heard Gen 1 is extremely limited in options (which is to be expected with 151 Pokemon I guess), and Gen 2 is stally as all hell, like the Brawl of Pokemon. I also heard 5th Gen is bad, but I'm not sure why. So I guess only Gen 3 and 4 are good competitively lol
generation 5 is easy to grind :p i bought black a while ago and havent picked it up in a while and just started again. Theres a pokemon named Audino that gives a boatload of exp and with an item called Lucky Egg you get a exp boost. running through gyms right now >.>

on a side note... i did competitive online for generation 4. sometimes its fun but it was rare to get someone that didnt hack. Also the top like 15 for a while was one guy with 999 stats everything and the "best moves." twas impossibru. T-T.

Sempiternity i might ask you for some tips if i start playing competitively ;)

The Star King

Smash Hero
generation 5 is easy to grind :p i bought black a while ago and havent picked it up in a while and just started again. Theres a pokemon named Audino that gives a boatload of exp and with an item called Lucky Egg you get a exp boost. running through gyms right now >.>

on a side note... i did competitive online for generation 4. sometimes its fun but it was rare to get someone that didnt hack. Also the top like 15 for a while was one guy with 999 stats everything and the "best moves." twas impossibru. T-T.

Sempiternity i might ask you for some tips if i start playing competitively ;)
I was wondering why competitive Gen 5 is bad, as in on simulators. Grinding has nothing to do with anything.

And your second paragraph is why you play on simulators >__>

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering why competitive Gen 5 is bad, as in on simulators. Grinding has nothing to do with anything.

And your second paragraph is why you play on simulators >__>
i was merely stating my opinion on 5 not why it was bad. curious to why it is bad as well... >_> and had i known to play on a simulator i wouldve. how do you play on a simulator?

wah i wanna talk about smash </3

The Star King

Smash Hero
EV training is the easy part, it's the ****ing breeding.

You could always RNG abuse, but why wouldn't you use simulators at that point when they are better in every way?

Oh, and to play on simulators... just go to pokemon-online.eu and it'll answer all your questions.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
EV training takes more attention than mindlessly cycling back and forth after maximising your chances of a good IV'd egg.

I generally watched movies while I bred and EV trained in HGSS.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Fully EV training a Pokemon takes like 30 minutes if you have Pokerus (which is really easy to get from people online) and you know what you're doing. Breeding is luck based and takes ridiculous amounts of time if you're not abusing RNG, so I don't see how you could possibly think EV training is the bad part LOL

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Because I'm satisfied with perfect speed and non-****ty other IVs, preferably 31 in another important stat. Obviously context sensitive, eg. Snorlax.

Why would I bother getting perfect pokemon on a cartridge?

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I probably won't be much help in the competitive aspect since I burned myself out after Gen 3. I bred all my pokes to be perfect or near perfect (in the stats I wanted) and wasted many hours of my high school life riding that accursed bike around and fighting the Elite 4 over and over and over and over again for EXP...

Never again. That was many years ago, and while I have been playing the recent pokemon games, I just haven't been able to get back into it and usually stop after "beating" the game. Hell, I didn't even beat the Elite 4 in HGSS.

And a word to the wise: if you want to enjoy Fire Emblem, do NOT look up how the RNG works in that game... say goodbye to enjoying it ever again.

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
I probably won't be much help in the competitive aspect since I burned myself out after Gen 3. I bred all my pokes to be perfect or near perfect (in the stats I wanted) and wasted many hours of my high school life riding that accursed bike around and fighting the Elite 4 over and over and over and over again for EXP...

Never again. That was many years ago, and while I have been playing the recent pokemon games, I just haven't been able to get back into it and usually stop after "beating" the game. Hell, I didn't even beat the Elite 4 in HGSS.

And a word to the wise: if you want to enjoy Fire Emblem, do NOT look up how the RNG works in that game... say goodbye to enjoying it ever again.
yea i probably wont get competitive at all, i just have some time before my school starts so ive been pretty bored.... lol at fire emblem... all i remember about that game is resetting sooooo many times. >.>

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
From a person who has EV trained and IV bred extensively in the past, the latter is MUCH worse.

If you merely EV train the pokemon and get the right moves, it can take between 30 minutes to a couple of hours. If you IV breed, it can take up to a week for one pokemon.

The Star King

Smash Hero

OK, I know I'm repeating myself way too much, but WHY DON'T YOU USE SIMULATORS? Sorry for bringing it up so much, but I see posts like this and don't understand.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
OK, I know I'm repeating myself way too much, but WHY DON'T YOU USE SIMULATORS? Sorry for bringing it up so much, but I see posts like this and don't understand.
Because I was a freshman in high school with a Gameboy Advance SP and Emerald!?

And I really hate playing handheld games on a computer. I like my portability to remain portable. Plus, there's a certain sense of accomplishment and self-satisfaction that comes from not cheating and playing a game it was meant to be played. Using a simulator kills the connection between you and your pokemon (lol) and doesn't keep me engaged for that long.

That, and did I mention I hate playing Gameboy games on the computer?

Olikus

Smash Champion
That, and did I mention I hate playing Gameboy games on the computer?
This^^

I do play pokemon competitvely on computer, but as semp says, its not the same. ANd for other nintendo games, smash is the only game I like playing on emulator. Games like zelda like I looooooooove on N64 doesnt feel the same at all on a computer.

Ill guess im too old school lol.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Who here has been playing Dead Island? and if you play it what do you think?
I played a bit of it on my friends computer. I found it didn't live up to the hype, but then again it's hard for a zombie game to set itself apart from all the other zombie games.

Fun for mindless slaughtering of zombies though.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
you guys realise he's not talking about 'playing pokemon on computer' and that he's talking about using online battle simulators, right?

pokemon online/netbattle/shoddy battle =/= vba/no$gba

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Yup. If you know what IVs or EVs are, then in all likelihood you found out about them from the internet. You've already "cheated" by using outside info. Why not save yourself 10 million hours and just get perfect pokemon? It's a dumb system to make you grind just to get pokemon you can use. That'd be like me having to grind out RNG garbage just so my Falcon has an uair.

The Star King

Smash Hero
you guys realise he's not talking about 'playing pokemon on computer' and that he's talking about using online battle simulators, right?

pokemon online/netbattle/shoddy battle =/= vba/no$gba
This. I'm not saying you should play the normal Pokemon games on the computer. I enjoy the handheld Pokemon games myself. But for COMPETITIVE BATTLING, simulators are 100000x better, so it baffles me when people talk about wasting their lives creating perfect Pokemon they're probably not going to even use much.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Ohhhhhhh, so you're talking about **** like PokeSav and all that jazz, right?

Last I checked, PokeSav'd Pokemon didn't have the same genetic makeup as legitimate Pokemon, i.e. one could tell if a Pokemon was hacked or not by sifting through code, and thus were not allowed in competitive play.

I could be wrong, and people could have gotten around that, but that's the last I remember of my Pokemon days.

Top Bottom