• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal: We need a wakeup call.

Shroomed

Smash Master
how is doc a boring char?

it's so rare you play a doc

dont u guys get tired of playing fox and falco all dai?

i can practice my marth on u guys =D

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Try to main Peach.

Every time it's my turn to play a friendly, my opponent along with everyone else unplug their controllers and leave...

At least Connor doesn't mind playing against me. *sigh*

:079:

Lovage

Smash Hero
Try to main Peach.

Every time it's my turn to play a friendly, my opponent along with everyone else unplug their controllers and leave...

At least Connor doesn't mind playing against me. *sigh*

:079:
fool it's not PEACH its YOU
lol you make every match 5 minutes long cuz u stand around and wait and stuff. other peaches are fun to fight

MacD

Banned via Administration
really lovage.... do you really mean it

i remember when i first came to so cal and wanted to play friendlies you were like ugh, i like you but i hate your character, playing against peach is dumb

make up your mind... though you did finally play me that one ******** sunday tourny and at pats afterwards

and i like playing against doc, whenever i'm playing brandon's or shrooms' i'm having fun

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
Fox and Falco can be combo'd and matches are fast paced. Doc can't be combo'd, and he's too floaty to do anything cool. boooooring.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
i wouldn't play any floaties in friendlies, i'd rather use falco and get ***** and try to do shine bairs all day

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
things ive read and noticed people doing

on losing:
don't say, i lost to a scrub
don't say, i suck. and get a defeatist attitude
don't say, this game is stupid, or otherwise blame your loss on the game or stage (RANDALL)

rey said to man up and improve right away instead of getting sad then doing it later

TipZ

Smash Apprentice

on losing:
don't say, this game is stupid, or otherwise blame your loss on the game or stage (RANDALL)

rey said to man up and improve right away instead of getting sad then doing it later
Everyone knows Randall goes out right on the 55 in on 50 out left on 45 and back in on 40.

Kira-

Smash Champion

on losing:

i need to work on this

gotta give everyone (including myself) more credit
even the game

joeplicate

Smash Master
man, I love playing good in tournament

my main goal yesterday was to work on tourney mindset, and I did it really well haha
feels good man

joeplicate

Smash Master
hahahhaa miguel

i played a game of marvel with falcomist once
i had no idea what was happening, then he did his magneto thing and got off on me
then he said "idk it's easy"

Atlus8

Smash Master
I wanna play Marvel so bad! I'm just a blank cd away, but I'll get that tomorrow! I'm gonna start getting off on these n!gg@s!

Edit - I have yet to see Falcomist play Marvel, but I do not doubt that he's good at it! F**k, I really wanna get good at that game! I spent more hours looking at Chunksta vs Justin Wong than I have watching Guilty Gear vids!

joeplicate

Smash Master
falcomist is good at like every game haha

i went to the golfland arcade with him one day
he's like 2nd best at initial D in the country
great at ddr, whoops on people in tekken, 3rd strike, marvel, .....
the list goes on

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
i hear a lot of johns about an event that happens in game

not like you got tippered, but like the stage did something

like, the floor dissapears on rainbow cruise barely before you firefox onto it, and you fall hella to your death

'oh thats so gay'

or the stage barely changes on pokemon stadium and you techroll doesnt go very far because you got stuck on a platform

the person is saying i lost because of the stage, but thats not the case

you lost because you lost, and the stage is the way it is

a lot of the time people whine about basically the stage not being fair, because it changed from the neutral from you think of it being, or you got caught in a bad time for a transformation to take place in

but thats the stage

so instead of johning, i want people to accept the stages in their entirety and be prepared for **** to happen, like randall moving, or pokemon being a ****ing good stage with many different forms, instead of saying porygon's gay and you got stuck on him, know he's coming and tech on him

no johns means

no johns.

SuperRad

Smash Master
I feel like one of my biggest problems is that I don't see the game the way I need to. When I watch top level matches, I can't even see things like missed L-Cancels, I can't see if someone is teching in a predictable way, I can't see where the game changing decisions were made. I just see two people playing the game. Other people will see a player make a certain choice and declare how smart they are for it. I never see that.

Part [most, I'd say] of this is inexperience, but I feel like it's kind of crippling when it comes to improvement. I can watch top level sheiks play for hours and not learn anything from it. Maybe a new trick or two, but not the mental part of the game that I have no grasp on.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
wordsworth
i know i do that...but i'm not john-ing because i think it's the game's fault. I know the game has silly things like randall...

my point being that there are probably a lot of people who john the same way, but they're not true johns...more like oh-man-why-did-that-have-to-happen-oh-well-shoulda-been ready-for-it-lol

and superrad

now that you mention it, I was thinking about watching a match of a person i want to learn from, and i wanted to write down everything they did, in as much detail as possible...but I don't know if that would be a good idea. I think it would be...but i've yet to try it...and it would take a while i think, so i'm reluctant...haha

I dunno if it sounds good, I guess you could try it

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
i hear a lot of johns about an event that happens in game

not like you got tippered, but like the stage did something

so instead of johning, i want people to accept the stages in their entirety and be prepared for **** to happen, like randall moving, or pokemon being a ****ing good stage with many different forms, instead of saying porygon's gay and you got stuck on him, know he's coming and tech on him
Sort of, but there's a difference between knowledge of a stage where odd things can happen (like the lip on pokemon stadium), and a stage literally randomly doing **** that ****s you up (like apples/blocks/bombs on Green Greens).

joeplicate

Smash Master
brian, from what I've seen it almost seems like you're too nice of a person

you have to get fiery about the game; you need some innate competitive streak and part of you has to want to beat your opponent down

when I played with you last it was like you didn't want to offend me with anything; you can't be content with losing for not making the other guy feel bad

R00R

Smash Journeyman
Ahoy this might be kinda random in this thread

But Tomorrow is my last day in Califronia before I go off to school and Im visiting people in LA, in silver lake.

Does anyone want play tomorrow? I dont really have anything to do until my flight at around 6pm.

SuperRad

Smash Master
brian, from what I've seen it almost seems like you're too nice of a person

you have to get fiery about the game; you need some innate competitive streak and part of you has to want to beat your opponent down

when I played with you last it was like you didn't want to offend me with anything; you can't be content with losing for not making the other guy feel bad
Hmm.
Maybe, I know I need to work on getting focused during matches. I've lost a couple games because I started to think about other things besides whats going on [like what to Ban/Counterpick afterwards, whether the person is going to switch characters if I know they have secondaries, etc].

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
I feel like one of my biggest problems is that I don't see the game the way I need to. When I watch top level matches, I can't even see things like missed L-Cancels, I can't see if someone is teching in a predictable way, I can't see where the game changing decisions were made. I just see two people playing the game. Other people will see a player make a certain choice and declare how smart they are for it. I never see that.

Part [most, I'd say] of this is inexperience, but I feel like it's kind of crippling when it comes to improvement. I can watch top level sheiks play for hours and not learn anything from it. Maybe a new trick or two, but not the mental part of the game that I have no grasp on.
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/8-critical-points.html
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/9-presence-of-mind.html

read it again if youve already done so. the whole book

hyuuuuugalisp

no johns (but green greens can be mad gay lol open ended parenseethis

SuperRad

Smash Master

Kira-

Smash Champion

^ this is how i see your issue

its hard at first, but if you stick with it you will gain confidence in your abilities and realize the truth, that anyone can be good. it is in their own motivation that allows them or prevents them from doing so. it is not just a cliche.

SuperRad

Smash Master
^ this is how i see your issue

its hard at first, but if you stick with it you will gain confidence in your abilities and realize the truth, that anyone can be good. it is in their own motivation that allows them or prevents them from doing so. it is not just a cliche.
that ended up sounding way more defeatist than i actually feel [about that particular subject at least]. it was supposed to be more a statement of fact: that i don't see this game the way i need to.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
my point being that there are probably a lot of people who john the same way, but they're not true johns...more like oh-man-why-did-that-have-to-happen-oh-well-shoulda-been ready-for-it-lolt
that's a john

reacting to any sort of negative stimuli in the game = john. you're only making yourself play worse. be emotionless to everything. that's the goal.

if something dumb happens, who cares, you're in the present so all you can do is learn from it. wasting thought on it is dumb, if your concentration slips even the slightest in melee, you get ***** for it

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
i know lol

i forgot to put john at then end of it

edit: also i didn't know how to say what i was trying to say
eh

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
example

mango v armada 2.5

mango misses a grab on pokemon because it was the grass stage, and he was a little higher than the normal ground would have been, while armada was on the white outside of the ring. then armada grabs mango

no johns

Top Bottom