• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal: We need a wakeup call.

Kira-

Smash Champion
i have a new strategy for doing well in tourney that you may or may not be aware of

1. get a lot of sleep
- sleep and wake up at consistent times and no naps. you'll feel refreshed in the morning if you've had enough sleep. most people get severely limited resting time, so it may take up to 2 weeks to iron out all your bad sleeping habits and other chinks but you'll have more energy to focus during the day if you do

2. eat healthy
- hard to do but try. especially difficult if you have a low budget, but i solve this by making my own food from stores. online recipes + CHEAP korean market next to my house = really good food and easier on your wallet in the long run

3. work out
- some physical activity throughout the week will make you more alert, help you learn quicker, etc etc

gotta run but this works, trust
especially for those of you that don't play good people during the weekdays often

also you gotta play as much as possible at each tourney. more styles + characters you play against = better. this game is about whoever adapts quickest, so the more you get used to it the better you'll be overall

seems like common sense but a lot of noobs dont know this

joeplicate

Smash Master
my strategy: try not to be too tired, but you can drink soda/energy drinks if you start falling asleep (but if you're really tired during a match you can kinda get ****ed)

play melee until you get warmed up
stay warmed up for the rest of the day so you can play your tournament matches

MacD

Banned via Administration
lol, wtf, what happend to get smashed the night before, play random characters all night, and don't sleep at all

but i agree with your new one, that's what i've always tried to do, those friday night we smash late or go see a movie, i'm hella tired and just don't care as much about doing well

oh yea, and warming up at least a little bit is good, i hate showing up then having to play... i'm looking at you irvine

Kira-

Smash Champion
yeah warming up ***** more than anything

you won't be tired if you use my strat lol

of course you dont have to follow it but if you try it you'll see results sooner than you think

DanteFox

Smash Champion
If you don't have anyone to play with:
watch videos.

that is all.

edit: Kfc has the right idea lol. Although I'd feel like such a wannabe doing that lol. I wouldn't do KDJ any justice at all.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i always need to warmup
also i know i have bad sleeping habits and i go to sleep as early as i can for tournament
also eating a good healthy breakfast will keep you fit
i always try to carry some granola and bottled water

Havokbringer

Smash Lord
I agree completely with you Kira, especially with the exercise part because you will gain a lot more stamina that way and will have more energy to concentrate with.

Also I find putting yourself in a positive attitude helps a lot.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
lol i am so healthy now that i don't play smash no more. i draink a gallon of water a day now. it *****

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Something that baffles me: How did Mango get so good, so fast? Like, ridiculously fast. I only started hearing about him near the end of the MLG melee days, and now he's the best player in the country. What's his secret?

edit: you can drink lots of water, and play smash. I do both.

joeplicate

Smash Master
the secret to his success is eating 4 bananas every day

also you gotta play as much as possible at each tourney. more styles + characters you play against = better. this game is about whoever adapts quickest, so the more you get used to it the better you'll be overall

seems like common sense but a lot of noobs dont know this
I agree

people are so caught up in miracle methods for getting good they don't realize the best way is to play a ****load
you can't get to the top with heart alone

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
except there's the catch-22 of if you're not good enough, you'll just train bad habits in yourself that will make it that much harder to change in the future

and joe, there is no way mango worked hard lol

Kira-

Smash Champion
well regardless of how much "hard work" it was mango played a LOT i'm sure, and he definitely has the perfect mindset, never gets nervous or plays without confidence

and i know it was a joke but he's far from an idiot savant, he's pretty smart in other ways

@ adam
being healthy *****, good ****

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
For some reason I find that I play a lot better when I'm angry. I just want to **** the **** out of my opponent so I camp really aggressively and do some really gay stuff

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
IIRC there was a post mango made a long time ago about how he and joey used to play, and joey used to mess around while he (mango), would try, and to look at where he was now

something like that

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Ken was a genius imo because he essentially created something out of nothing.

He just had an understanding of the game like no other when he started. He was "good" from the beginning of Melee and maintained that position as the metagame evolved. No one taught him how to play, how to use Marth, or how to win. He just "knew." If anything, others grew from watching/playing him.

He essentially never "got good." He was always "good."

That's why he was a genius.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Ken was a genius imo because he essentially created something out of nothing.

He just had an understanding of the game like no other when he started. He was "good" from the beginning of Melee and maintained that position as the metagame evolved. No one taught him how to play, how to use Marth, or how to win. He just "knew." If anything, others grew from watching/playing him.

He essentially never "got good." He was always "good."

That's why he was a genius.
or maybe because the game is simple. it's not as complex as you're making it out to be. "genius" lol, hyperbole much?

adam you're dumb
very convincing english major and full time pot smoker

Kira-

Smash Champion
Ken ****in *****

dude anyone remember this match? (although there are plenty of similar examples where ken dominates like this)
ken beasting chillin

lol it was always my favorite

or maybe because the game is simple. it's not as complex as you're making it out to be. "genius" lol, hyperbole much?r
if it's not that complex then why was ken on top for years? any "real genius" should have been able to figure it out, right?

adam you blazed for years and as soon as you stop you hate on joe for it

LuCKy

Smash Master
man i still dont know how to do that
im trying to outsmart something that runs circles around my mindgames
oooooo i got that problem a lot once all the good players stopped playing lol people got faster n too dumb to fall for mindgames. my way of over comin it - become twice as fast as everyone :]

you could just space n use your priority to get them to run into stuff like mango lol then people get frustrated n then you mindgame . . . sure you knew this but i felt cool knowing rofl

What this guy said! No smasher is gonna get a good sleep, eat healthy and work out the day before a tourny!
***** plz!
**** yeah. im back on my old sleeping habbits too ^__^ sleeping at 5 in the morning omg its done

Everyone needs a 'Joey' that lives 10 secs away from them!
but yea im pretty G

man

just use my strategy

use the same color that a pro smasher uses, or the same tag

imagine that you are that smasher

and ull ****

trust me
also you have the coolest mindset by far

and p still *****

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
or maybe because the game is simple. it's not as complex as you're making it out to be. "genius" lol, hyperbole much?
lol that's irrelevant. What does simplicity have to do with anything? Just because the game is so "simple" doesn't necessarily mean it's easy. Hence the various skill gaps between many players.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
if it's not that complex then why was ken on top for years?
baseball's not that complex, so why has pujols been on the top for years?

execution is different than strategic complexity, don't be dum

i swear why do smashers overrate how complex the game is.

and what says more: dominating a game in its relative infancy, or dominating the game when the metagame has been wholly figured out?

and when ken got passed he ran like a ***** LOL

adam you blazed for years and as soon as you stop you hate on joe for it
when people troll me i troll them back noob

hahahahaa lovage is so stupidly funny i feel guilty every time i laugh at his posts

joeplicate

Smash Master
no *****

I smoked like once a week for two months in college

adam, I really think you're placing too much importance on "natural talent"
mango didn't just become the best, he had to work for it dog

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
He DID have to work for it, but not nearly to the extent as other players. I talked to Hugo about this and I realized Mango is indeed a natural talent. He beat EznJay at his first tourney and other well known players early on in his career. And he started late 06. Such a growth is unheard of.

As far as Ken goes:

Being a natural talent/genius doesn't mean you have to be "the best." Ken was still a very dominant player all the way to the end of his career (Evo West 07).

No matter how you look at it, Ken had natural talent for this game just like Mango. There is no doubt about it.

Top Bottom