• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal: We need a wakeup call.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
hey P, quick question: when you sheild an attack and proceed to wavedash out of shield, do you shield with R, then switch to L, and wavedash with R, or do you shield with L right off the bat? I guess a third option would be shielding with R, then using L for an awkward wavedash. I wanna incorporate this tactic into my game but I wanna know the best way to do it.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i use L for everything, including wavedash out of shield
but some people use an alternate button

do whatever is easiest for you

Kira-

Smash Champion
This thread helped me a lot, thanks adam

hey P, quick question: when you sheild an attack and proceed to wavedash out of shield, do you shield with R, then switch to L, and wavedash with R, or do you shield with L right off the bat? I guess a third option would be shielding with R, then using L for an awkward wavedash. I wanna incorporate this tactic into my game but I wanna know the best way to do it.
I use L for everything

some people switch off. DSF uses R to shield and L to wavedash for example

DanteFox

Smash Champion
I use R for everything except l canceling, so I tried switching from R to L mid-shield, but I think I'm going to try super rad's idea of using R to shield and just wavedashing with R and see how that feels.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
I use R for everything (L cancel, shield, w/e) but I wavedash with L. Same as Alex basically, yayhuz.

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
I used to use R for everything when I couldn't wd out of shield. I thought it was too hard to use it for wavedashing out of shield, so I use L only when I wavedash out of shield. Pretty fun stuff

Kira-

Smash Champion
chase after them with dtilt or dash attack (edit - you have to do this past where they are dash dancing, it seems scary at first but try/practice it and you'll get the hang of it eventually)

if they are avoiding you, you can push them (by walking/running/wd-ing) to the edge where they have less room and you gain more control. as you get better you'll realize how important this space is.

also don't throw out laggy moves, if you're getting grabbed after you fair or something you can spotdodge or fair further away from them to bait them. Since they are further away it takes longer for them to run to you in which case you can uptilt or do another fair or dash dance away and grab them. stuff like that. higher percents you can dash dance away and pivot fsmash cause it looks cool and lets you edgeguard

these are things i have recently found too and am trying to implement in my own game. thank you cameron for the last option, thanks adam for helping me discover the 2nd one. the first is standard

Kira-

Smash Champion
learning how to punish from videos is soo helpful it's ridiculous, why wouldn't people want to watch videos all day

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
^ I was bored at school and tried watching sheik vids to improve my game

I dont learn ****! I was watching M2k's sheik and was trying to see what makes it so good, but he does things which ive been taught are bad habits (always upthrows spacies, always attacks from ledge, etc) Alot of good sheik vids are like this.

The only one that I saw that helped at all was watching mango vs pink shinobi. Made me feel like I knew the matchup a little better

recommend me some vids kira

Kira-

Smash Champion
If Jkun isn't hopeless, emil isn't hopeless, and jkun actually got way better than I ever thought he would (and continues to improve). no offense to jason

-Sometimes upthrow is okay, i'm starting to use it more. usually at higher percents
-the way m2k attacks from the ledge is very different than the way you or i would attack from the ledge. mango does it the same way
-believe it or not neighborhoodp does not know everything there is to know about the game. don't limit yourself to playing one way, take what is good from everyone that you see

2 things that have helped me tremendously recently (but i havent had time to practice it yet):

1. limit options by spacing attacks on their shield, you know they must roll or jump. then learn to punish accordingly (this takes a little prediction). But don't do preemptive attacks, let them act first then react as fast as possible (this is really hard lol)
2. spacing is more than just spacing attacks, it includes the distance between you and your opponent. this is crucial if you want to control space with shiek. I don't know how to do it very well yet but i've realized this means almost everything and im trying to get better at this type of spacing.
3. Don't force hits too much, if the spacing is off and you can't quite get the right attack in just wait until you can get a better opening. you can practially run away all day and never get hit if you do it right until you get a better chance to attack (stage dependent, it's mostly why i do so well on dreamland)
4. be offensive. this doesn't necessarily mean be super aggressive or anything like that, but you can't create openings or get your opponents to make mistakes if you aren't attacking them. i got a bit better at doing this on command (it also relieves my nerves pretty well mid-match) and it helped a lot

oh wait thats 4

remember that the higher up you go in skill, the harder it is to improve, so be patient, and expect to get frustrated

oy.. trying to teach all these kids is time consuming

GMhyprid

Smash Apprentice
In general, people talk about either being confident or humble, but most people must be both to be good.

So the question is, what is the ideal amount of confidence and humility that one should have both inside and outside of a tournament? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom