• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

D

Deleted member

1. mango
2. me
3/4. fly/wes
5. oscar
6. lucky
7. eddy
8. fiction
9. stab
10. sung
11-15-honorable mentions: - no order- connor, khepri, merc, hugQ, j666, joejoe, bimbo, bakamoe

idk about ranking people who are leaving, i.e. hyprid, commonyoshi(?)

theres my preemptive list, i don't see many problems with it at all, doing 10-15-honorable mentions is the hardest part but i give 0 ****s about it being inaccurate because I believe everyone there could beat each other, although I think Connor is better than all u schmucks

do an 8 way round robin deathmatch pool like FC and that'd make everything a lot easier. TOs need to post brackets or the panelists will simply judge bottom half by what we perceive of ur skill level. Alternately, people can post who they beat/ lost to

Ambix

Smash Ace
i beat g$ and ambix, dunno if those are wins worth mentioning though...

****, so many if onlys
If only you hadn't pulled out that stitchface round 2

T_T

You probably had a better chance of getting further in the bracket than me though.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
imo fiction is less consistent than stab/sung, even if he's actually better when playing at his best. sung > stab > fiction

i totally agree with all of crimson's posts as well. top 15 w/ HMs sounds great, and sung as a panelist would be great, especially for the lower half/HMs.

no idea of bottom half ranking, so i'll just repost all of my wins/losses since the last update, to the best of my ability:
4-0 v JoeJoe
5-0 v Stab
2-1 v J666
3-0 v Dendy
1-1 v manatee, khepri, merc, adam, hyprid
1-0 v HugQ, bimbo
0-1 Connor
4-5 Sung (unsure about this, we played a lot but think its close-ish and he's ahead by a little bit)

If it matters, my losses to merc, adam, connor, and manatee were in pools, and I think everything else was in bracket. Never played fiction. I have a single win vs. lovage and westballz but lost to them many other times. All other losses this period afaik are from the top players, eddy/fly/s2j/oscar/wes etc.

As far as non-Socal, I beat Light at NYTE bracket, had a convincing win against Bizzarro Flame at GREV, and beat ambix and g$ at FC. My most recent sets with fly/eddie/kels/darkrain were arguably close (but yea no johns still lost so idk w/e).

edit: Hi ambix! lol

GMhyprid

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I should be ranked because by the time that the PR is updated, I'm going to count more as Norcal than Socal.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Norcal keeps an updated spreadsheet of individual players results from all tourneys. Not sure if that'll be too much work, but just offering a suggestion

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
I think we should update soon, and then have a third arcadian tournament (the no ranked players allowed tourney in case anyone forgot), because it's been like 2 years since the last one.

Getting all the unranked players to come out of the woodwork all at once for one tournament could definitely get 80+ (like the past two). I have a few ideas on how to advertise it and the rules (anyone on the past 4 PRs imo), but obviously we need an updated PR first hahaha

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Is that enough time to hype it up??

Is that enough time to get a PR update ROFLLLLLLLLLL

Will people drive to SD now that the melee scene is mostly in LA??

Jun.

Smash Lord
SD will host a tournament in the Fall regardless of the other regions' attendance. Tournaments at the lodge are very efficient and cost 35 bucks/free.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I'm fine with updating whenever. I also say we panelists just discuss the rankings in this thread, partially because we never have any success talking about it elsewhere and partially because I don't see any real reason for the discussion to be private. If any other panelists object to that, let me know.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
dude arcadian tourneys are ****. Arcadian II was my first tourney, it was a blast. looking forward to it and hope i can make it!

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Okay I think just going ahead and planning the arcadian tournament is probably best idea atm, cuz approximately 2% chance this gets updated within the next month lol

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
Some thoughts
All off the top of my head
All written under the basis of no johns
Can't say much for people who don't go to many tournaments

1 Mango
2 S2J - Been beating everyone
3 Fly - Beats Wes all the time, beat Lovage at festizzios, lost to Eddy at champs (winners and losers)
4 Wes - Beats everyone else, loses to peaches (SK, Light, Bladewise, Darkatma)
5 Lovage - Loses to everyone now but still #2 in my book
6 Lucky - Been to like 3 tourneys in Cali the past year, beat Wes at champs, beat people at Rule 6 can't remember much
7 Eddy - Won against Fly loses to Wes, hard to gauge people who don't go to many tournaments
8 Alex19 - I have almost no idea who he is or how good he is, lost to HugQ at champs
9 Connor - Been to like 2 tourneys haven't seen him in awhile can't say too much, he beat me and stab at champs not sure who else
10 Fiction - Basically 2 tourneys needs to go to more tournaments, beats/loses to Stab, lost to J666 at Hazes, I haven't played him in forever/enough and I'm not sure how he'd do against other ranked players
11 Stab - Beats/loses to me, beats/loses to J666, completely loses to Baka, beats khepri on a daily basis
12 Sung - Beats/loses to khepri, lost to bimbo at champs, beats/loses to Baka, beats J666
13 Baka - Beats stab, beats/loses to J666, beats/loses to khepri, lost to merc in pools, beat Light
14 J666 - Lost to merc in pools at reveLAtions, beat Tafokints at Rule 6
15 Khepri - Beats/loses to me, loses to stab, beat J666 at reveLAtions, beat Baka in losers at Bosco's tournament

Honorables (no order)
Bimbo - Needs to go to more tournaments
Merc - I wouldn't put him in Khepri's place yet but solid and needs to go to more tournaments
A Rookie - Beat J666 at champs, beat/lost to Stab, beat/lost to me, loses to baka

DJMirror

Smash Master
Okay I think just going ahead and planning the arcadian tournament is probably best idea atm, cuz approximately 2% chance this gets updated within the next month lol
Do I have to get me & Kira to run Arcadian 3? That **** was suppose to be done last summer with MikeHAZE so there's both brawl & melee (I was gonna leave MikeHAZE running brawl & I'll just run Melee) but due to ahhh 1st world problem *cough* Summer job & KOFXIII *cough*

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
My top 7 would probably be the same as yours, although I might put Lucky over Lovage because of his greater consistency at the tourneys he has been to lately. Alex19 has only gone to one tourney in recent memory and didn't perform exceptionally, so I don't see any reason to put him on, even if he is clearly capable of reaching that high. If he has gone to anything in the past several months that I'm forgetting aside from the one Champ's tourney, then I'd reconsider this. I'd put Connor at 8; while less active than most of the usual Socal threats, he has gone to a couple events in the last several months and has still shown himself to be better than the Stab/Sung/Baka/etc cluster. I think I'd have Stab and Sung at 9 and 10, respectively, although their positions are easily interchangeable. Stab's performance have been slightly better recently, hence me putting him higher.

I do think there are a handful of other smashers who are good enough to contend for 9/10, but don't have the results to back them up at the moment. I'm also not saying anything about 11-15 at the moment, partially because I'd rather have a top 10 and partially because Socal's lesser cluster is really difficult to accurately rank as it is.

WestBallz

Smash Ace
Not rly p is not active enough nor does he play at a high lvl to gauge skill properly. I think ranking lovage below me is absurd. Just because he doesn't try at locals doesn't mean he didn't beat people like javi at apex or run through losers at manifest to get 2nd. Lovage has shown time and time again that he can compete with the best in the world. Im no where to close to that and ranking me higher is ********. so with that in mind here is my rankings.

1. Mango
2. S2j
3. Lovage
4. Fly
5. me
6. lucky
7. eddy
8. alex19 not sure if he should even be ranked
9. Connor
10. fiction
basically the same as sungs cept for the top 5

michael_li

Smash Ace
this should help you guys?

Tournament performance. This is the biggest factor. It’s great that you ***** Player X in friendlies for like 29 hours yesterday, now let’s see it in tournament! Notice that it is not only placement that is taken into account, but also brackets – who did you win or lose to?

Consistency. A good player is consistent in his smash game. You can’t beat M2K one day and then lose to that scrub down the street the next. To be considered for this ranking, you must perform well in tournament most of the time.

Activity. In order to assess skill and performance, panelists must actually be seeing you play. This means tournaments, too. Showing up and participating in tournaments is mandatory to be considered for this PR. Those neglecting to do this will be removed; some old PR-worthy players have already been.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I just noticed s2j is banned and probably won't be back until another next week or something like that, so that'll slow things down a bit unless he just talks to us elsewhere, although we already know the gist of what he thinks.

As for Lovage, I'd normally totally agree with putting him at 3, but for whatever reason, his overall performance has dropped a lot the last couple months. Based on what I recall, he just hasn't been practicing lately, and unless he plans on putting in the work to return to his usual standards, I'm a little hesitant to put him at 3.

WestBallz

Smash Ace
i dunno fly didn't he beat u last time but just killed himself at the end? anyway yeah scratch my list and literally copy sungs cause thats how i would rank everyone.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
my only gripe with sung's is that Alex19 went to ONE tournament in the past year or so and lost to HugQ while also not beating anyone notable, so there's objectively no reason for him to be ranked

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Yeah, he did pretty much beat me last time, but he's also had a couple kind of questionable losses lately and not all that many big wins (although that can probably just be attributed to his low-ish activity). Glancing over recent tourney results, his record is admittedly better than I remember it being, so I probably am being too harsh. The only wtf-ish result was the last Norcal tourney he went to, at which he lost to Phil and HMW.

I agree with Matt's point about Alex19 and would rather not have him on it, but if the rest of you would prefer that, then fine. I also see that both of you have Fiction higher than Sung/Stab, which I can agree with; I do think he's better than them, but is a little lacking in results to back that up. He has done really well at the most recent tourneys he's been to, though, and if we just extrapolate from there, it makes sense to put him about that high. In this case, I'd say have him at 9 right behind Connor and have Stab at 10.

Since Sung's list had 15 people and mine had 10 and Wes' first list had 10, I'd like to just settle right now what number of people the list is going to have. I still say top 10 since deciding on exactly who should occupy 11-15 and then ordering them fairly would be a pain.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
im still for what johnny said few pages back. top 15 (mostly cause top 10 seemed to be in the minority opinion of the active community when he asked ppl to post what they wanted), where the lower end will fluctuate more than the higher end, and who's on the lower end weighs extra heavily more on the more recent results (whereas top 10 will have more benefit of the doubt). and like crimson suggested, if you have 11-15 and actually update every ~3 months, that seems to be the best way to utilize the PR for what its intended.

another issue i have with top 10 is that it will exclude players who can not only contend with people numbers 9-10 at the very lest, but also can compete with many (albeit on the lower end) people in other local PRs, like what sheridan said. i mean with that projected top 10, sung would be unranked despite beating SFAT twice. wtf.

That said, determining 11-15 shouldnt be that difficult then, if you both weigh more recent results higher and people realize that it can be quick to change with the frequent updates. Sung's list is pretty good for the most part too imo.

SUNG666

Smash Ace
The only reason why I say top 15 is because the gap between 10-15 are so close and would trade sets all the time. (Stab Baka J666 Me Khepri)

On another note, I wish that people would go to more tournaments. When I came to socal I realized half of the PR rarely/never went to tournaments so I feel that updating this list with active players is reason enough.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
In that case, my tentative 11-15 would be Sung > Baka > J666 > two of Khepri/Bimbo/Merc in some order. I think Bimbo is the best of the three, but I'm not aware of any good wins under his belt aside from Sung. Merc does well against lots of good players, but rarely actually gets any big set wins from what I can tell. I don't think Khepri is as good as the other two, but all things considered, he has a stronger record than they do as far as I know. I'd probably go with Khepri at #14 and Merc at #15, although I think his position is easily interchangeable with Bimbo's. I'll glance over whatever recent results I can find and see if they support or contradict this.

SUNG666

Smash Ace
@Adam
Doesn't matter to me, I'm still gunna strive to be the best

I think Khepri and Merc would be able to beat Bimbo in a set, and actually I'd put A. Rookie over Bimbo as well since he beat Merc and J666 recently. Merc has beaten J666 as well. Don't get me wrong, Bimbo is legit but I still think he'd be below these guys. Well...it's true that in terms of results Bimbo has the better win (me, instead of J666) but that was one tournament he went to in forever and he potentially could have had bad/more losses if he went to more. The thing about this ranking period is that it's been a year so a ton of lost/won sets don't matter, even sets from months ago doesn't matter cause everyone forgot and everyone's skill level changed. I hope that if we do this PR, that it'll update every couple of months.

My list:
Me
Baka
J666
Khepri
A. Rookie
Merc

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
If we go with Sung's last proposal:

1. Mango
2. S2J