• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashchu's Roster Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Exactly. Even 5 new characters would be bad. The best selling point of the game is the characters. My best guess would be at least 10.

I haven't read seen SmashChu's roster, but i'll take a look.

buirac

Smash Cadet
Find an English source, and a trustworthy one at that, and we'll talk.

I don't agree with a lot of SmashChu's roster, but I think there will be around the same amount of newcomers, I think there will be returnees, and I think there will be fewer if any cuts.

Sakurai hasn't said a thing about no new characters; he knows that would be suicide.

1st - No one has said anything of no new characters. Yes, it would be insane.

2nd - There is people here that acknowledge Sakurai is meant to add less newcomers. I don't, since I don't believe lots of new slots have to be created but they have to be regenerated (aiming at guests, Lucas, Wolf and R.O.B. with that).

3rd - Vandal is one of the biggest videogame informers in Spanish. Should Spanish-speakers rely on you or them? The artcle literally states that Sakurai has said "we have probably reached a limit in what's feasible" on character volume.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I have seen the article in English, but taking it as Sakurai saying there will not be new characters is being unreasonable. There will plenty of new characters.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
FML. I'm saying there won't be much new slots, not Newcomers abscence. I'm sorry for my English flaws but, hell, I've repeated it too much times to be misunderstood.
I'm not even talking about what you've said. I'm saying readers in general.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Cutting veterans in favor of newcomers is... lame. Mewtwo was simply outprioritized in Brawl, and the rest that got the axe were clones. Seeing as Brawl doesn't have much in the way of clones like Melee (only Toon Link and a bunch of semi-clones) they'd have to remove unique characters like R.O.B and Lucario. We've all seen how well it turned out cutting a unique character when Mewtwo tops most polls for most wanted character for SSB4, it'd be a disaster cutting more people's mains

I'd prefer we just get something like 8-9 newcomers and 1-2 returning characters and keep it at that, a 45 character roster should be able to be balanced decently at least.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think the only character who truly was never planned to come back was Pichu.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Honestly I'd bet around 10-15; we're going to get new characters for certain. If anyone doesn't think so, while Sakurai liked the Brawl roster, many others working on it had suggestions, and to pull that off, there's still quite a few popular choices from the NSider poll to pick and quite a bit that's happened from Brawl to Smash 4.

I think he just means that because really after playing Brawl there's so much damned content that it's like something new and game changing and refreshing would be nice. Sure you can complete every franchise and then add some more Retro's/New characters/stages, but it won't do as much as something truly game-changing, especially since any fighting game with at least 30 characters is already hard to balance. I'm actually kind-of hoping/glad he's refreshing the series because I don't want to be doing challenge 405 and getting sticker 1170... "Just three-hundred left!"

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
3rd - Vandal is one of the biggest videogame informers in Spanish. Should Spanish-speakers rely on you or them? The artcle literally states that Sakurai has said "we have probably reached a limit in what's feasible" on character volume.
Show it to me in English. I don't give a damn if it's big in Spanish-speaking countries. Find me a source that says "we will have no more than forty characters in Smash 4" in English, because until you do, it's a translation error. The only thing close to that I've seen is "there won't be as many newcomers" and "simply adding characters is not enough," neither of which means the roster is staying the same size.

There's no reason to believe there will be many, if any, cuts, because, as others have said, the only character it appears was never planned to return was Pichu, who was literally a joke. Mewtwo, Roy, and even Doc were planned to return. If even clones were gonna return, and many of them did, I doubt anyone is unimportant enough in Sakurai's eyes to be cut this time.

We'll probably see ten or fewer newcomers, not counting Roy and Mewtwo, but not at the expense of characters already in Smash.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, I actually understand a bit of Spanish and I can say that the link says pretty much what we all know.

The title of that link is "Super Smash Bros. no aumentará mucho su plantilla" which translates to "Super Smash Bros.'s roster won't increase much in size."

This statement...
Sakurai ha dicho que "probablemente hemos alcanzado los límites de lo que es factible" en cuanto a volumen de personajes y cree que ahora deben apostar por "un cambio de dirección" para darle un giro al juego e introducir las novedades en esa línea.
...roughly translates to this:
Sakurai said that "we probably have reached the limits of what's feasible" when it comes to the quantity of characters and believes that they should invest on "a change of direction" to give a new twist to the game and introduce new features.
Then again, my translation isn't exactly the best, since I'm no way fluent in Spanish, but I hope you get the general gist and conclude that this is the same info we all already know.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Non-Specific Action Figure.

Lots of people do though. eShop games sell pretty well. Dillon has a decent shot, especially since he's from one of the few new Nintendo IPs created since Brawl.

Nope. No third-party character has a better chance than most first-party ones. I agree that third-parties are likely to return and Mega Man will probably be among them, but he's not more important than Ridley or K. Rool or other popular and influential Nintendo characters. Just because Sakurai said something doesn't confirm the character will be in. He also said Ridley could be in if they worked at it, but that's hardly a confirmation. Third-party characters are likely close to, if not, the last characters chosen.
Sakurai has made a comment about the character. He hasn't made any comments to even remotely consider Ridley or K. Rool. I think both could be in but there is more evidence of a Capcom character than anything. Why would he even make such a comment if he wasn't considering it.

@ buirac - I was a little aggressive with my posts so I deserve it. Plus I have had my long friendly debates with Frostwraith and Co. in the past and it is usually about third parties :). They are really good people if you post with them awhile on here.

I don't think that Sakurai will limit characters because the game just wouldn't sell as well. Unfortunately you need to have newcomers to sell the franchise or else people will still just stick with Brawl or Melee.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sakurai has made a comment about the character. He hasn't made any comments to even remotely consider Ridley or K. Rool. I think both could be in but there is more evidence of a Capcom character than anything. Why would he even make such a comment if he wasn't considering it.
He made one comment about Ridley actually. He said that Ridley, if included, would be a slow character.

volbound1700

Smash Master
He made one comment about Ridley actually. He said that Ridley, if included, would be a slow character.

Didn't know that but that sounds like a negative comment. I know there was a comment after Brawl that Sakurai stated he didn't understand Ridley's popularity.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Didn't know that but that sounds like a negative comment. I know there was a comment after Brawl that Sakurai stated he didn't understand Ridley's popularity.
He said nothing like that.

He just stated that Ridley seemed impossible, but then backtracked and talked about how it could work.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Nerp.
He made the comment because he was asked about it. It's not like he called a press conference and said, "Yo, I'm a big fan of Capcom, expect one of their characters."

A third-party character will never, ever be more important than a first-party character of comparable importance. Say there's one slot left. Say Sakurai's deciding between Mega Man and Ridley. Say they have the same popularity, the same importance, the same amount of qualification of the slot. Pretty sure he'd pick Ridley, not Mega Man.

Now sure, Mega Man could get in over, say, Shulk or Dillon, but he's not getting in over Ridley, K. Rool, or even Roy or Takamaru.

Sakurai's very tight-lipped about Smash. Yes, he mentioned Capcom. Yes, he said a character was possible. But that in no way guarantees a character will be in, and a Capcom character is a lower priority than a Nintendo character.

Slow =/= negative.
Honestly, Smash could use some more slow, heavy characters.

To add about Ridley, an animator from the team did comment on him and he was the 2nd character in the NSider poll after Sonic.
I honestly fully expect him to be playable in this one.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
volbound1700 said:
thethirdkoopa said:
To add about Ridley, an animator from the team did comment on him and he was the 2nd character in the NSider poll after Sonic.
I would really like to see sources for both of the above quotes, considering both would be excellent tidbits to analyze.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I would really like to see sources for both of the above quotes, considering both would be excellent tidbits to analyze.
NSider1 doesn't exist anymore unfortunately, and unfortunately unlike many other pictures, I didn't save the animator one (Though I don't think that's saying much)

I'll try to see if I can salvage something from that poll though. I think I said this in another thread but asides from Sonic, Ridley, and very few characters who aren't in, it's not as interesting results as you would think.

D

Deleted member

Some food for thoughts in regards to Krystal. I've actually heard that before Sakurai's poll, he didn't even know who Krystal was, which meant that Sakurai had no time to even consider adding Krystal. If this is the case (and someone can actually prove this), then this gives Krystal a clean slate for SSB4. Not that I expect her, but just something I wanted to throw out there.
SmashChu said:
Mother, for instance, still sold over a million units for it's second game worldwide. Yes, Earthbound was a little obscure for most people, but it had 2 games and the second one having decent success. 1 million units worldwide is a big feat in the early 90s, a time when Nintendo didn't have a foothold in Europe thanks to litigation in the US and competition with Sega...
Last time I checked, Earthbound definitely did not break a million (neither did the original). Earthbound sold a little under 500K worldwide.
SmashChu said:
Roy-Sakurai mentioned that if he could promote Fire Emblem it would be a good thing (this is from a bad translation, so it may not be accurate). This explains why Roy may have been chosen and it may explain future choices as far as new characters go. Ike was the newer character during Brawl's development, so it may be a pattern. Or not.
Sakurai also mentioned that with Roy that he was added to promote the entire series, indicating that Sakurai already saw more in Roy than a cheap advertisement.
---
I still need to cover my stuff on third-parties (especially Mega Man), but unfortunately it's late and listening to the recent drama over at the prediction discussion thread has made it impossible to focus, but it will come.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
A lot happened over the week. I don't think I will get to everything, but I'll see what I can do.
Some food for thoughts in regards to Krystal. I've actually heard that before Sakurai's poll, he didn't even know who Krystal was, which meant that Sakurai had no time to even consider adding Krystal. If this is the case (and someone can actually prove this), then this gives Krystal a clean slate for SSB4. Not that I expect her, but just something I wanted to throw out there.Last time I checked, Earthbound definitely did not break a million (neither did the original).

Earthbound sold a little under 500K worldwide.Sakurai also mentioned that with Roy that he was added to promote the entire series, indicating that Sakurai already saw more in Roy than a cheap advertisement.
VGChartz estimates the game at 0.81 million in Japan. Given that, if the other regions sold 190,000, it would sell a million. That is how a got to that. I did right that a long time ago. The analysis was written a while back and then I rewrote it.
---

I still need to cover my stuff on third-parties (especially Mega Man), but unfortunately it's late and listening to the recent drama over at the prediction discussion thread has made it impossible to focus, but it will come.
Please do. This place is kind of a mess. Good to see thethirdkoop back.

I will add some more to my analysis. I will be gone next week so I may not see everything. Feel free to PM me if there if you have a question.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
For the most part, I'm not going to go too much over characters that aren't on here because it's just repeating myself and the top 20-30 have been discussed to death. Here we go.

Little Mac
He's nice but I want to throw some things out there about him right now
-He doesn't really highlight the Wii era that much
-We're likable to get two new series, maybe three at most. Unless the Roster direction is different. It really depends. With other competition really, meh.
-No Issac?

I don't have much else to say
I'm okay with this so I'm not going to bother.

In Australia does not mean everywhere else. The one major thing Takamaru has going for him is really the fact that Sakurai has commented on him; I guess his appearances as well. Considering we probably will get a retro and we have gotten one ever since Melee, I've had a really hard time finding others likable, and I can't see another arcadic one like Ice Climbers. Plus, SERIES REVIVAL! So yeah, even though he's mentioned a lot, 10 points.

Karate Joe
This is a joe of a joke, right?
Now we're going into more improbability. I love Rhythm Heaven and all, but the very first thing to mention is that this series really fits a lot like Animal Crossing. Maybe a stage or something, and the other problem is too much indirection. At least with Animal Crossing you know it would be the main character because you play as him. Meanwhile...
So I see people playing the comparison game on him vs Isaac and whatnot and I've commented on this enough. More likable than Karate Joe however, and if a new series direction goes in, I can see him with say, Shulk/Isaac easily. Plus last I remember the devs do want to bring a compilation physical, but I gotta search for that so don't take my word for it.

K. Rool and Ridley[/quote]
"Get out of jail free" card goes here. Also, I can't really say the big ballooks was that much missed from the Brawl roster. On the NSider poll I remember he didn't score card too well and his support came more after Diddy Kong was announced.

But I don't have any disagreements

Dixie Kong
Next person who says "Forbidden Seven" is to be slapped. Game devs always put in empty folders; it's just that this time we got it visible

...Andddd that's all I gotta say

Glitterem
I like the idea of him as much as the next guy but I have to say no. While he's important to the Zelda timeline, he's a one shot character who's doomed to be one shot. I even can see the idea of Toon Zelda over this... I just can't really fully see this. I don't know how else to put it. Before someone calls me out with a trump card on Fire Emblem or Mother on bull, those are completely different cases where those series neve have reoccuring characters. Meanwhile...

Chrom/Palutena
I hate Kid Icarus/Fire Emblem arguments so I'll just leave it at this: Palutena is possible, I can't see a flavor of the week series getting four reps but hey anything is possible

Samurai Goroh
Now here's an interesting card. I want to say yes, but my heart says n- I more mean that with ten years without a new game (Though hey, I remember one dev saying they would love to do an F-Zero) and the less than satisfying statements I feel out of all the "Missed his chance should have been in brawl" probably mostly go to this guy and Vaati, though hey, I'll give it time.

So trying to predict a WTF char

...this never ends well

also meh

Dr. Mario
Once again for starters, same thing I've been saying about the "Forbidden 7" since release. I'm pretty sure he was intentionally cut over the end, but given how Sakurai didn't costume him, I could see this over a new Mario rep. The other problem is that I think the only two Mario reps that seem likely at this point are Paper Mario (was on the brawl polls) and Toad (Melee polls) though Jr has a nice shot too.

Other returners are fine.

No third party characters
Okay I'll give it that it's possible, but considering the ones that have wanted their series in or have said a lot (Travis Touchdown, Layton, Megaman, Tales Of studios) I would say you're putting way too much of a bet on this.

Though for the main staff of the game (you know, the people actually doing stuff) they don't really care and Sakurai hasn't really ever cared on the attention on it.

Also another thing I will say that was a plus for Sonic was before Brawl, Sakurai and the Animating/Programming team had a huge poll for characters. Pretty much since for a few weeks they weren't saying anything, the main thing the NOA's said is "By far Sonic dominated the polls"; so that's the story behind that.

There we go got that all out of my system i'm done for the day

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
If anyone is interested, I am adding appendix which are to expand on the roster. It may help with some of the confusion. I did 4 characters so far, so if anyone is curious why I chose someone, let me know. There will be more including a better explination of third party characters.
I've been wanting to read this for so long, and you posted on my birthday. Thanks for the gift ;P Alright, here we go
Well, Happy Late Birthday

See, I don't quite see the difference between the Wolf and Lucas that we got, and the conceptual clones that Dark Pit and Ninten could be. They, I'm sure, would be created in a slightly different style than their counterparts. Is this just their physical appearance holding them back? (Besides the fact that Dark Pit is like, nothing) What does Wolf, Falco (Melee), Young Link (Melee), Toon Link and Lucas have going for them that makes them "more unique"? I mean Falco is a bird head on Fox's body, with stat changes in Melee, truthfully.
Looks to a small degree. They also fight a lot differently. Fans sometime just see the special moves and think the characters are exactly the same without taking in the other factors. Wolf is very different than Fox with his feral fighting style. Lucas also brings different attacks and tools (like his Rope Snake).

Ridley is a good example as well. Does his fluctuating size help his case or something?
Ridley isn't known for being big. His sizze is very workable and we've seen this in the Melee opening and fan works. Kraid is always seen as a towering boss. Even in Melee, he is bigger than the stage.

What do you think of the notion that......
I have a real hard time defending Samurai Goroh, Krystal, and Dixie Kong over at Wiichat because they all have this mentality. There's a "sales guru" over there I would love for you to meet. He's, ugh. And this is a little different from Jiggs and Shiek, because THEY WERE CURRENT when they were included. Goroh and Dixie (In terms of non-spin off titles) have been out of commission for a long while, and Krystal seven years.
Not sure how people think that. There are so many misconceptions in looking at the roster. Toise's post (which I liked to) does a great job of dispelling the sales myth. As far as current characters, just note that Smash is made around picking characters that run the gambit. Some characters are old. Others aren't. It comes down to the facts that people would like those characters if they saw the game. At least in case of Dixie and Goroh, fans know then and recognize them. So they are not a hard sell and they run the gambit in terms of series.

I will discuss Krystal a bit in my appendix.

So it wouldn't suprise you that FE:A was possibly going to be the last game in the series for a long long while if it didn't sell well?
Not really. The series has been struggling for a while. I'm glad they did well with FE:A

I would like to note that he does do well on my polls, better than Pichu or YL. Pichu doesn't do well, at all.
Interesting. I would like to thank you for you polls. They've helped me a lot.

Okay, now for a break.[/quote]

My critique of your roster:

Ghirahim: Not impossible but no villain or side character of a single game has ever made it into SSB.
He has the same role as the ignored Zant did during Brawl but a bit more popularity. However probably about equal popularity to what Midna had who was also ignored.

Samurai Goroh: I only expect 10 or so newcomers at the most so I'd be surprised if a slot is used on a character like Goroh. Having said that I guess he does have more popularity in Japan and the possible very slight advantage of being rival to the last of the original 12 not to have a counterpart.

Karate Joe/Sheriff: I appreciate trying to be unique and they probably do have a better chance than most people give them, but I don't see them making it in what I believe will be a shorter newcomer list than past games. Definitely not both.
I tried to address these in the update, so check the appendix.

I believe you have contradicted yourself here when you include four Fire Emblem characters who will likely have very similar movesets/fight styles.
I would expect three at most, and wouldn't even be surprised by only two.
Fire Emblem characters are always popular. While it is a lot of characters, they all would be well liked among fans. Like I said before, moveset isn't everything. Chrom does look a good deal different than Ike.

It's a bold prediction that there will be no new third party characters. Not ridiculous like some people say, but I disagree.
I'm a big believer in the Namco connection giving a character like Pac-Man a great chance.
I wouldn't be too surprised if Megaman shows up too but I'm not expecting it.
As far as Namco goes, remember third party characters play by different rules. The Tekken director has said that he does not want Tekken characters in and the Tale producer (I beleive) said that fans should ask Sakurai (rather than ask Sakurai himself). Everyone understand third party characters are going to be limited if included at all. I'll discuss this more in an update. Something to point out is fans expect FAR more than Sakurai delivers in this area. Common knowledge in Brawl was we were to have 3 third party characters.

Lastly, the number 50 is a few more characters than I expect given that Sakurai said there will be less newcomers this time.

The rest of the analysis is quite good and I agree with most of what you say.
He said he though they reached the limit with Brawl. In truth, he always says that. He said something similar with Brawl. The thing is he sees Smash as more than more characters, but he understands fans want more characters. I would be surprised if there was less than 12 new characters.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Fire Emblem characters are always popular. While it is a lot of characters, they all would be well liked among fans. Like I said before, moveset isn't everything. Chrom does look a good deal different than Ike.
So I'm guessing the outcries of Chrom being dull is considered "well liked among fans" by your definition.

Good to know.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Don't get me wrong, I do think Ridley has a great chance and want him to be in it but the fact is Sakurai has made a comment in support of Megaman so that puts him at a 90% chance.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Smashchu, one of my biggest issues with your analysis is you go on to state Sakurai favors the big-name franchises (which I agree) but then you put a ton of characters that are not a part of those franchises, Shulk, Dillon Roller, etc. Your roster literally doesn't even fit your own analysis go read it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Don't get me wrong, I do think Ridley has a great chance and want him to be in it but the fact is Sakurai has made a comment in support of Megaman so that puts him at a 90% chance.
He said a Capcom character. Never talked about Megaman specifically.

He could want Ryu for all we know.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai has said this on third party characters
I think Snake and Sonic joining were fantastic. It made many fans happy, and it broadened the Smash Bros arena. However, introducing more non-Nintendo characters willy-nilly will lose the focus of the game, so I also recognise the need to narrow it down.

I will discuss this more shortly.

Smashchu, one of my biggest issues with your analysis is you go on to state Sakurai favors the big-name franchises (which I agree) but then you put a ton of characters that are not a part of those franchises, Shulk, Dillon Roller, etc. Your roster literally doesn't even fit your own analysis go read it.
I think you misinterpreted something. Sakurai keeps the big series in check but he does not favor them. This is why he added characters from series like Fire Emblem and Mother. I suggested characters from Kid Icarus and F-Zero. The reason I have Shulk on there is because he is a popular character from a new series (one that may also get a sequel).

Dillon was iffy, but check the first page. I will add more shortly.

So I'm guessing the outcries of Chrom being dull is considered "well liked among fans" by your definition.

Good to know.

From Shortie's polls and the information Chrono brought from Japan, Chrom is well liked. He is one of the most requested characters in Japan and he does fairly well here too. He has a good worldwide presence which can be hard to find.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
From Shortie's polls and the information Chrono brought from Japan, Chrom is well liked. He is one of the most requested characters in Japan and he does fairly well here too. He has a good worldwide presence which can be hard to find.
Yes. Chrom is popular but Roy beats him in all areas.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

Actually, the so called popularity is more like expectations over desires. People are mainly clinging onto Chrom because he's the most recent lord in the franchise, and some even go as far enough to say that he'll replace Marth or Ike. The true support is a minority actually, otherwise there's a lot of complaining about him being too similar to Marth and Ike. It doesn't matter how much of a success Fire Emblem: Awakening is, that stigma is hurting far more then helping. To add salt on the wound, he's not even the most popular character in Fire Emblem: Awakening according to polls.

Also, Fire Emblem is arguably the franchise in Brawl that's not influenced by popularity in the slightest, it's more like judgement by Sakurai himself. The only character that was added due to any remote popularity would be Marth, while Roy and Ike were added for unrelated reasons. Generally speaking the characters were well received because they stood out enough, looked cool enough, and were easy to play as. The problem with Chrom is that he's not interesting, with pretty much the other characters taking whatever niche he could have. As you should know there has to be something worthwhile about a character to include them, but if there isn't then it's doubtful the character would be included.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
That seems to be another bullet point on why Fire Emblem is such a major s***storm in regards to seeing which character makes it over the others. Marth is essentially the only person guaranteed to show up.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Actually, the so called popularity is more like expectations over desires. People are mainly clinging onto Chrom because he's the most recent lord in the franchise, and some even go as far enough to say that he'll replace Marth or Ike. The true support is a minority actually, otherwise there's a lot of complaining about him being too similar to Marth and Ike. It doesn't matter how much of a success Fire Emblem: Awakening is, that stigma is hurting far more then helping. To add salt on the wound, he's not even the most popular character in Fire Emblem: Awakening according to polls.

Also, Fire Emblem is arguably the franchise in Brawl that's not influenced by popularity in the slightest, it's more like judgement by Sakurai himself. The only character that was added due to any remote popularity would be Marth, while Roy and Ike were added for unrelated reasons. Generally speaking the characters were well received because they stood out enough, looked cool enough, and were easy to play as. The problem with Chrom is that he's not interesting, with pretty much the other characters taking whatever niche he could have. As you should know there has to be something worthwhile about a character to include them, but if there isn't then it's doubtful the character would be included.
That's a pretty big assumption your making, and if it's wrong, the rest of your argument falls apart.

The data I'm talking about is poll which is "Who do you like the best." I would assume they put him on there because they like him, not because they expect him. Not that it matters, I have seen people actively ask for him on gameFAQs and 4Chan. The Chrom thread is also one of the most active.
Yes. Chrom is popular but Roy beats him in all areas.
Of course. My roster just ended up having both of them on there.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't make assumptions, assumptions are made by fools.

-People are complaining about Chrom being a very bland addition, and he's not the most popular character from ether Super Smash Bros. or Fire Emblem fans.
-People deplore the idea of him replacing ether Marth or Ike.
-Popularity has little effect when it comes to inclusions with Fire Emblem characters. Marth is the only case where this could be a factor, but Roy and Ike were not included because of popularity.
-The success of Fire Emblem: Awakening is not going to automatically rectify the problems Chrom has.
-If Chrom doesn't have anything worth bragging about, it's not going to be worth the inclusion. He's no guarantee by any stretch of the imagination.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
agreed. 4 fire emblem reps seems much too large, and as Habanero mentions, not many people like the idea of removing characters. I'd say because of this FE probably won't get a new rep, but if they do, Roy has a much larger chance than Chrom.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'll just throw out right now it's Flavor of the Week vs Veterans really when it comes to it. There's not much else to the debate. Also Awakening's sales happened after the roster so...

Though be reminded, they were also convinced on ending the series during Smash 4's entire development.

Also who's to say he doesn't take in Lucina or My Avatar? They're more interesting if we're talking about how bland or not it is.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
thats what im saying. flavor of the week or veterans? Roy's the veteran, so I'm saying if FE gets a 3rd rep at all, place your bet on Roy. He was obviously planned, and people weren't very pleased with his exclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom