• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBros Website Information

Raymondo97

Smash Cadet
NNID
Raymondo79
3DS FC
0173-2451-9369
Today's pic is rather intriguing. It looks like it could be a sort of one player mode. It's also on the 3DS. I wonder if that changes it at all. I looks like that mysterious stage that was shown in the first announcement video. What do you guys think?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think it is indeed a platform adventure mode of some description (albeit without an actual story like in Brawl - meaning it may be more akin to Melee's adventure mode). However, I think the stage is different to the one in the E3 trailer. That one looked like Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. This one looks like a place from Metroid Fusion.

I hope this isn't just some 20 minute romp like Melee's Adventure Mode, though. I actually really liked the Subspace Emissary, and have played through it many times just for fun. On the contrary, I only played through it so many times in Melee because it was required to unlock stuff. And honestly, other than the odd character unlock, it wasn't worth it. If it is just a short little thing like Melee's, it should have more actual platforming-action levels, and the reward should be better. I personally think character endings, like in Tekken (which happens to be developed by Namco Bandai) would make it much more satisfying to play over and over again, if I got those as well as the the characters and trophies.

But the whole reason we aren't getting a story mode is because Sakurai's team don't want to render those CGI cutscenes. So I doubt we will get endings. :S

Raymondo97

Smash Cadet
NNID
Raymondo79
3DS FC
0173-2451-9369
I agree. But I'm pretty sure Sakurai said that they weren't making the cutscenes because in Brawl, that's all they were. People would record these cutscenes and post them to YouTube. Then it just ruins the effect and gave no reason for some to play it because they know what happens, and can unlock characters in any other way. Sakurai said it was unfair and lame. So they were trying to find something as rewarding and fun, without any way to spoil it or get the prizes any other way. Something along those lines. But we'll learn more later.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I kinda think it's a silly reason. Leaks/spoilers have never stopped any developer from putting a story into their game before. They never stopped TV shows from airing, books being published, etc. I respect Sakurai tenfold, but he's really showing his Japanese close-mindedness with that kind of reasoning. Not to mention that he outright posted every single character for Brawl, including unlockable ones, on the official website before the game even came out (or at least within the release window. I don't quite remember). So it's kind of hypocritical if you ask me, especially since I consider unlockable characters to be a bigger spoiler than cutscenes. That kind of reasoning is so bizarre, I almost am inclined to believe he's covering up his real reasoning, be it "Subspace wasn't popular", "It would greatly delay the game", or something like that.

But again, I hope this isn't just a rinse-and-repeat of the Melee Adventure Mode. I hope it will still last me a good 10-12 hours, at least, or will be a shorter mode worth replaying (though a bit longer than Melee's. Maybe an hour or so, with save points and co-op). I hope it stands out as it's own thing. I can live without the cutscenes, but I really just enjoyed the gameplay of SSE. It was flawed, but had great potential that wasn't tapped on. And at least the co-op and Intense mode were a blast.

And I know people say "the multiplayer matters most", but honestly - the local multiplayer is GOING to be amazingly fun. There is no question about it. Despite it being less competitive, the majority would agree that Brawl was still a really fun game to play with friends.

Smash Bros has always been a series that grows in every aspect. So far, the single-player seems half-hearted compared to Brawl's. I won't pass a lot of judgement yet, though. There may be a lot we don't know. Sakurai's comments on these aspects have just been a bit disheartening. The game is still day one buy for me though, and I've been getting exactly what I wanted with characters like Mega Man and Rosalina being announced.

Raymondo97

Smash Cadet
NNID
Raymondo79
3DS FC
0173-2451-9369
Understandable. But the characters were announced before while the game was in development. Those kind of things are things to get people excited for the game. TV shows and books can get away with it because they're for entertainment and can be re-watched or re-read and you still get the same results. But with games, if you watch videos of the what happens in the story, then when you play through it, the game loses its surprise and fun. If you've already beaten the game, then you watch them, there isn't anything wrong with that. But people would post it and people who haven't played the game wouldn't enjoy and appreciate the experience as much because they already know what happens. But I get where you're coming from. And I agree that it's silly to stop it simply because of that. But it makes sense.

I'm with you on the idea of the story mode. In many aspects, this game has been said and shown that it'll be between Melee and Brawl. Maybe this is the case for the new story mode. I hope that it'll be enjoyable, fun, and something you want to replay like SSE. But we don't want it as boring as the Adventure mode in Melee. I'm excited for the game. I can't see any downsides to it at all, so far. It'll be a top seller. And hopefully, it'll bring more to buy a Wii U and/or a 3DS. But we'll see how it goes.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But the thing is, this is the sort of thing that I consider to be at the consumer's discretion. When I'm looking forward to a game, I do my best to avoid spoilers until I finish it. For example, I'm currently playing through the latest Professor Layton game. These games are heavy on story, and this one in particular is the climax of a trilogy. Sometimes when I'm bored, I look up the tag of something I like on tumblr. But I'm not going to search for anything related to Professor Layton, as I know I will find spoilers. If others want to spoil a game for themselves, that's their choice. However, I feel they would be a minority anyway.

It also becomes more illogical when you look at Pokémon X/Y. Nintendo intentionally gave that game the same release date internationally because they were afraid of what spoilers might get out. Why not just do that with Smash Bros? Heck, even if they didn't, the Wii U is region locked, and it hasn't been hacked yet. The 3DS was recently hacked to disable region locking, but it requires older firmware, and that firmware is not available to download online yet. So the amount of people with access to an imported Japanese copy of the new Smash Bros would be very limited compared to Brawl. And considering how strict Nintendo is with gameplay footage being uploaded lately, I actually think they could keep people quiet. There is also the fact that many gamers respect that others may not want spoilers, and so they put warnings up when posting them.

What Sakurai is doing here is pretty much the same as when, in primary school, one kid misbehaves, and the whole class gets punishment homework as a result. I do understand the logic behind the decision, but I feel that, as such an experienced developer, he would be ready to accept internet spoilers as a completely inevitable thing, and not let it effect his project. But this is yet another example of how Nintendo of Japan are too old-fashioned. Iwata has even admitted very recently that Nintendo of Japan do not understand the West.

But that's kind of going into a whole other discussion!

Anyway, I'd hate to come across as some entitled gamer. Honestly, it's just his reasoning that bothers me. I wouldn't criticise him if the reasoning was better. Because, even as someone who greatly enjoyed SSE, I can even think of better reasons to cut a story mode than internet spoilers.

Regarding what we ARE getting, I'm not going to say it's bad just yet. Look at Super Mario 3D World. That game looks like loads of fun, with hours upon hours of content, with tons of replayablility. And yet it has no story. I'm holding out hope that the new singleplayer modes for Smash will provide a similar amount of enjoyment, to sweeten the already amazing fighting game experience!

Raymondo97

Smash Cadet
NNID
Raymondo79
3DS FC
0173-2451-9369
You put up a good point. I hate when anything gets spoiled. Especially games. That's what happened with Kid Icarus: Uprising. I was looking up some characters an weapons, and a major plot line was revealed, there was no spoiler alert. It was horrible. So I get where you're coming from and I agree.

Nintendo has been having issues lately. But I do believe things are starting to look up. Especially due to Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash.

Actually, about the 3DS hack, many have done it. But they soon find their system unplayable. So that isn't really in the question anymore. Besides, what's the point? Games made for specific regions were made that way for a reason. And if you want to take the time, effort, and money to get a game early, that's your problem.

Anyway, Super Smash will be fantastic. I just know it. It looks spectacular. And like you said before, sonicbrawler182, the series is one that grows in every aspect. It will likely live up to our expectations. :)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I'm sure you guys have already seen it on the homepage of this site and the official Smash Bros site. But yeah, the new changes to the edge-hogging game are quite interesting.

So this is this first bit of really technical information we've received in a while.

From what Sakurai is saying, it seems that they are trying to add more skill to edge hogging. It seems other characters can steal a ledge simply by approaching an already occupied ledge. However, the previous occupant has to be outside of their their invincibility period for you to steal an edge from them. As a result, changes have been made to how long invincibility frames last while hanging from a ledge. It seems it's now determined by how high your accumulated damage is, and your air time prior to grabbing the ledge. As well as this, the slower grab maneuvers from a post 100% state are gone, making ledge maneuvers quick for the entire match.

What do you guys think of today's update? I personally think this is a great new change. Edge hogging in and of itself will now be a mini-competition, by the sounds of it, and will also require more skill and strategy than before. And the removal of the post 100% slow movements will greatly increase the pacing of this aspect of the match.

Raymondo97

Smash Cadet
NNID
Raymondo79
3DS FC
0173-2451-9369
That's exciting. I'm not sure I quite understand some of it. But it will definitely put a new spin on the game.

If you haven't seen it or know of it already, there is a leaked image circulating. It shows Palutena standing next to Mario on the 3DS version of the game. I don't believe it. It looks completely fake.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've said my piece on that in the Palutena thread.

It's been 24 hours and nobody has proved it false. And with good reason.

thebaum64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebaum64
seems interesting and a fun/exiting twist on the game! Although, I wish there was more depth in the entire idea though.

Raymondo97

Smash Cadet
NNID
Raymondo79
3DS FC
0173-2451-9369
Now we have Lucario! His aura power is a bit stronger now. I wonder if they will use his Mega Form somehow. Maybe his final smash? Alternate costume? I don't know. But I'm excited.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In GameXplain's discussion on Lucario, they put forward the idea of him being able to transform into his Mega Evolution after he takes a ton of damage, to enhance is damage output, at the cost of being really easy to knock out (like, as soon as he activates his Mega Evolution, his damage goes to 999%). I doubt it will happen in that way, but that would be a really cool way to incorporate his Mega Evolution.

fbs397

Smash Cadet
I don't know. I think the edgehogging game was simple and fun in past games, now it seems more advanced.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think the caption for today's pic of the day is my favourite one yet, alongside last Thursday's one! :p

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Mine too, since we get a Nintendo Direct tomorrow. I will be hoping we will have a newcomer announcement or a demo reveal tomorrow; we may not have anything smash related at all.

EDIT: Forgot this post was made on Monday , I thought it was made today....

Last edited:

Raymondo97

Smash Cadet
NNID
Raymondo79
3DS FC
0173-2451-9369
So for those who guessed and wanted Little Mac, congrats. You got him. He looks pretty great. This game never ceases to get me more excited.

Linkcrafter

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5155-3414-6061
Im hoping this site will be just like the one from brawl. Those updates made me want to wake up everyday :)
Nah, updates like that will be on miiverse. Luckily, there is a miiverse website, and if you follow the link on the picture from the website, it brings you straight to sakurai's miiverse page.

You've crushed my spirits D:

: P

anyways, this picture kinda jumped out at me, can anyone tell me the game the stage is from?

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, [and just to sound like a Zelda geek and Smash fan at the same time] the hut in the background is the hut for all of the carpenters. They are supposed to be fixing the bridge that, in some photos, is right in the middle of the stage, and in other photos, is not their at all and is an edge that you can grab on to if your falling into the river below. I guess we're in for Bridge of Eldin: Gerudo edition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymondo97

Smash Cadet
NNID
Raymondo79
3DS FC
0173-2451-9369
That direct had just about everything I wanted and more! So awesome! I'm so excited!! (And I just can't hide it!!)

Top Bottom