• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - May 28th

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I actually kind've like this visual indicator, it looks to be panic-inducing and gives you a bit of a wake up call to not get hit by that F-smash your opponent is throwing out. I don't get exactly why everyone is opposed to this, it's a nice cartoony/anime-esque touch.
That's another interesting point... This will subtly change the metagame. Somebody already mentioned how it could affect team fights (need a quick point or two within the last 15 seconds of the match? Here's a good target!), and in similar ways I see this slightly raising the overall stress level of a match. I bet once people start playing, they'll hardly notice it, but subconsciously it will affect their play. It's refreshing.

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
I love this, when I play with more than 1 person, it's difficult for me to keep track of everyone's percentage.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
says steam. looks like steam. dont delve too deep into a game where gorillas fight princesses.
I get that. But since when are the animated trophy characters in Smash steam-powered? It just feels wrong.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
I get that. But since when are the animated trophy characters in Smash steam-powered? It just feels wrong.
remember, the game is in development. if we backlash enough, he might take it out, or make it better.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Gonna be honest, this is probably the perfect example of over-attention to detail.

This...really isn't needed...at all. Not only is it completely useless (shifting between your percentage and to the action isn't cumbersome at all), but it messes up potentially funny screenshots with random steam effects.

As others have stated, hopefully this is optional.

SmashAdr

Smash Apprentice
i feel sakurai is teasing Ridley. Why would they add this effect so late in the game and suddenly, we saw videos without this effect so i think ridley caused that steam on them

D

Deleted member

Lol at the people saying "this doesn't make sense!" Uh, this is Super Smash Bros. - nothing makes sense, and if you think about it for more than a second, you'll understand the reasoning behind it. Emitting smoke is a common way to show that a car/machine/robot is overheated/damaged. The characters is this game are presented as playable trophies, i.e. they're comparable to robots. Connect the dots.

The effect doesn't seem to be very noticeable anyway, so it won't obstruct your view of the action, and since we could already see when an opponent was at high % by looking at the HUD, this won't effect gameplay at all. I don't see why anybody would have a problem with this addition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Lol at the people saying "this doesn't make sense!" Uh, this is Super Smash Bros. - nothing makes sense, and if you think about it for more than a second, you'll understand the reasoning behind it. Emitting smoke is a common way to show that a car/machine/robot is overheated/damaged. The characters is this game are presented as playable trophies, i.e. they're comparable to robots. Connect the dots.

The effect doesn't seem to be very noticeable anyway, so it won't obstruct your view of the action, and since we could already see when an opponent was at high % by looking at the HUD, this won't effect gameplay at all. I don't see why anybody would have a problem with this addition.
I've never seen a trophy emit steam when heavily damaged. Sorry, but I don't see how trophies are like machines.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Steam coming from body at high %= your life bar blinking red in most other fighting games.

Not that big a deal, lot.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I've seen steam in a sauna bro. :laugh:
That's not steam; that's water mist. Common misconception. As the water transitions from being a gas to being a liquid, it becomes the visible stuff you see.

Last edited:

ChaoticPanda

Smash Rookie
Should be toggable for the people who aren't too fond of this.

I'm totally ok with this though. :dkmelee:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Last edited:

Abcat1337

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sirach
3DS FC
3539-9738-8755
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. Characters that have heavy damage slowly start to emit steam. When your opponent starts to get nice and smoky, give 'em a solid attack!"

>When your opponent starts to get nice and smoky, give 'em a solid attack!
What is this, a barbecue or a death match?

D

Deleted member

I've never seen a trophy emit steam when heavily damaged.
And I've never seen pink balls of sentient bubblegum or giant firebreathing turtles.

Sorry, but I don't see how trophies are like machines.
Robots and the character trophies in Super Smash Bros. are both artificial, inanimate objects that come to life. I'm sorry that you can't see the connection.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That's not steam; that's water mist. Common misconception. As the water transitions from being a gas to being a liquid, it becomes the visible stuff you see.
Huh, neat. Didn't know that, thanks for sharing.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
And I've never seen pink balls of sentient bubblegum or giant firebreathing turtles.
Okay, but, trophies are real, not fictional, cartoony characters made up for a video game.
Robots and the character trophies in Super Smash Bros. are both artificial, inanimate objects that come to life. I'm sorry that you can't see the connection.
Apology accepted.

So any inanimate object that comes to life in a fictional setting is like a robot? When I saw the "Beauty and the Beast" cartoon movie, not once did it cross my mind that the talking candle was like a robot. Yet to you that's the obvious conclusion.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Oh, just noticed their percentages are showing for once. I don't remember that in the Direct so it's good to see. Were 160 and 170 colored that deep of a red before? Also that 6 looks a little weird. Nice to see a screenshot of the font :p

D

Deleted member

Okay, but, trophies are real, not fictional, cartoony characters made up for a video game.
The trophies in Smash are not real. Do you know how I know that? Because they exist in a video game. People who try to apply any kind of real-world logic to this game are being ridiculous and obnoxious. Having the characters let off smoke at high percents makes just as much sense as anything else in the game.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Leave it to Hydrone to blow our minds with water.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
When Olimar gets steamy, does his helmet fog up?

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
You know what would be great? If a player was behind by at least 3 stocks then their character's facial expression would change. Like they would look so pissed.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Why/how are so many people confused about it being steam? It's clearly meant to be cartoony. As you get more damage, your character gets angrier, and they begin to turn red and steam up like an anime or Tom & Jerry character. It's just another addition to the silliness.

Of course, I understand that not everyone's happy about it. We've had lots of new visuals so far, like team colors being highlights instead of costumes, or KO explosions being colored to show who scored the point, but this is the first one that's seemed... obtrusive. This could get especially annoying in fights where multiple combatants stay in the higher percentages for long periods of time, and it could ruin the traditional flow of battle on 4-player fights by having everyone suddenly gang up on the steaming guy.

That said, I personally kinda like it. :substitute:
I think this type if steam looks weird through. It should be, like, little anger puffs coming out of their head, not surrounded in fog!

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Gonna be honest, this is probably the perfect example of over-attention to detail.

This...really isn't needed...at all. Not only is it completely useless (shifting between your percentage and to the action isn't cumbersome at all), but it messes up potentially funny screenshots with random steam effects.

As others have stated, hopefully this is optional.
This is unneeded, true. But so the coloring of the revival platforms, the flash your character makes when scoring a kill and the color of the smoke trail a character leaves when KO'd. It is just a nice detail.
Unneeded=/= Bad. People seem to fail to find a difference between this two concepts. I don't see how this can detract from gameplay at all when it is just a visual cue. There is nothing objectively bad about this.
I would say that I'm baffled that people are b****ing about this and yet nobody said a tweet when the other details were demonstrated; but again this is the Smash fan base, were nothing and everything has to be picked on and whined as if is there was no tomorrow.

Besides, if it bothers people that much, see that it only seems to appear at extremely high percentages like the ones shown in the picture. In most matches your damage counter doesn't even get that high.

Last edited:

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
Welcome to SmashBoards, where any hint of creativity added to the new games gets scoffed at and is asked to be removed.

caldw19940

Smash Cadet
I actually think it's there for people with visual difficulties. A friend of mine is colour deficient so sometimes when the percentage goes red it can disappear into the background or become really hard to read at a glance since his eyes can't pickup reds against certain colours so hates playing on stages where the numbers start to get harder to read the more he's hurt so he either has to just ignore it or spend an extra few seconds trying to decipher it which would end up getting him KO'd.

May also be an easier indicator for dyslexics and such.

I may be wrong and Sakurai just thought the steam looked cool but I could see this being a benefit for those players :)

Top Bottom