• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - May 28th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. Characters that have heavy damage slowly start to emit steam. When your opponent starts to get nice and smoky, give 'em a solid attack!"

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
So,smoke will be another indicator besides high percentage of when it's a perfect time to smash your opponent

Okay,that's new.Not sure how I feel about this.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
How visible/noticeable will this be on the 3DS, I wonder?

katastrophic

Smash Cadet
NNID
katastrophic
3DS FC
3308-4726-7643
Well this sure is... strange. Is it really needed / wanted? Probably not.

katastrophic

Smash Cadet
NNID
katastrophic
3DS FC
3308-4726-7643
This game isn't really needed as well. Eating, sleeping, pooping, peeing, those are fundamental; everything else is optional.
Well this game sure is wanted. Can't argue against that

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sheik is the hottest dude in this game.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
"When your opponent starts to get nice and smoky"

Dammit Sakurai! As if there wasn't enough fuel in the fire.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I already posted this joke, but

Smoking, truly bad for your health!

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
This seems totally pointless. A visual cue for the novices, perhaps? I'd like to be able to toggle it off, I guess, because it seems so nonsensical. Is is steam? Sweat? Sublimation? Fairy dust?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Yoshi thinks this is some sort of Febreze commercial.

Super Stench Brothers for Wii U and 3DS

Jupo

Smash Cadet
Looks like Sakurai and his team need to blow off some steam

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
This is the first update that seems...bizarre to me, and not in a good way. I get the logic behind it, or assume, that it's for the casuals to more easily see when they are at lethal damage. I just don't know if "steam" makes sense...it just seems pretty weird for me. Isn't there another way that makes more sense? I do trust Sakurai, so maybe he will finagle this in a way that works. And if not, hopefully there is an option to turn it off. Maybe I just need to see it in action, I don't know.

I just don't want this to look stupid is all.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I hope this is togglable, because that looks really dumb. I don't need a handicap smog to tell me when Lucario's smash will wreck Bowser. :rolleyes:

I mean, it's a nice feature- but not for players who have played this game already. The new guys would benefit more from this than everyone else would. So if it's a must- at least make it optional. That's my few cents.

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
So, their blood, sweat and/or tears are evaporating? Okay...

I'm not sure if that addition is really useful. I don't think characters need a visual indication of high damage because the HUD spells it out clearly, as well as the numbers above the fighters' heads.

What about when you disable the damage gauge so that your friends aren't just going after the foe with the highest damage? The steam will give it away.

Domo-dono

Smash Cadet
NNID
K3ptSecret
3DS FC
4425-2815-8686
Can't knock it until I see it in action.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
Can't say I'm too fond of this. Maybe a tired idle animation or something. But steam makes no sense. It almost makes them look like they stink of sweat or something lol.

I can see this being really helpful in teams. At least for me it helps differentiate those at high percents from those at low percents on the other team. Provided this effect varies given the percentage and doesn't start at like 100% or something and stays fixed.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I'm just curious how people are supposed to differentiate this from DK giant punch steam. DK is likely to live to high percents too...

I don't see a practical purpose for this, to be honest.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I like the idea, but I think I would have KO'd Sheik before 160% (unless this game is Brawl 2.0). Just sayin.

Last edited:

Morin0

Smash Lord
I read that Melee was supposed to have visible wear the more damage you have. (e.g. Falcon's helmet being cracked.) That sounds a lot better than emitting steam.

EDIT: I have been CORRECTED. It is Brawl and not Melee. :happysheep:

Last edited:

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Not really fond of this feature, but it's not a dealbreaker. If they absolutely had to add a way to tell who was heavily damaged without looking at the bottom of the screen, I would have preferred blinking redness over steam. But I'm not really bothered too heavily by this feature, especially if I can turn it off.

noterday

Smash Rookie
I dunno I really like this idea compared to many people here.

When you're at high percents you feel a lot more fragile because you're one good hit away from dying and that will probably help to reinforce that feeling.

I mean yes it might be useful for telling when to smash someone if you're a new player, but it also makes you worried if youre the one at high percents.

KatKit

Smash Lord
The "Watch Brisket smoke" Arby's ad I'm seeing on this page right now is oddly appropriate.

Anyways, it looks like a cloud of salt to me. So basically the more damaged you get, the more salty your character gets. Haha.

Also... I like how this is generally disliked, even when people complain about new stuff not being shown. Well, this is new soooo.

Last edited:

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
I'm gonna rack my own damage up to 999% from Fox's lasers just to see what happens.

*hoping to get engulfed in flames*

Last edited:
Top Bottom