• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - May 28th

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Wait a minute... Steam when a character is in K.O%?
Half-Life 3 confirmed
Please get original. These Half-Life jokes aren't funny anymore

Definitely mixed on this. Would be nice if there was a way to turn this off for those who dislike the idea

Jet3000

Smash Apprentice
In my own honest opinion I don't really like this update. Doesn't seems too important. Hopefully we can turn this off

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I read that Melee was supposed to have visible wear the more damage you have. (e.g. Falcon's helmet being cracked.) That sounds a lot better than emitting steam.

EDIT: I have been CORRECTED. It is Brawl and not Melee. :happysheep:
So I take it this deconfirms battle damage for Smash 4 then.

Louis Drust

Smash Rookie
I get that this is for only the most casual of players, but I guess I don't really understand the want/need to have to be able to switch this off or some of the general dislike with this.

I mean, yeah, if you don't like it you don't like it, but even if you can't switch it off, it's not like it's going to be a detriment to the game just because there's some steam around someone, say, at 150% and beyond. It's just there, completely benign.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Nice move. Now the casuals will think DK has a Fully Charged Punch whenever he reaches a high % :facepalm:

Last edited:

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
This seems totally pointless. A visual cue for the novices, perhaps? I'd like to be able to toggle it off, I guess, because it seems so nonsensical. Is is steam? Sweat? Sublimation? Fairy dust?
it kind of says steam in the photo description.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
maybe it's cuz of the stage lightning, but they seems kinda redglowing also... maybe that also add to the signs of high damage?

Anyways, the steam thingy wasn't really necessary... It would be nice if this can be turned off, but I think we'll get used to this sooner than we might think... It's just a little feature with not too much consequences... other fighters just get to see better who's highly damaged.

In multiple player fights with same characters, it might be hard to see which one is the one with high percentage, so the steam could give you a better indication of who to attack for a KO.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
Nice move. Now the casuals will think DK as a Fully Charged Punch whenever he reaches a high % :facepalm:
"Casuals" aren't stupid, the only types of casuals who may actually fall for that are young kids. And second Sakurai could always change the effect when DK gets a fully charged punched.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Holy eye to detail, Sakurai!

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
I don't like this update at all. I'm a fuzzy pickles w****, so I like to take alot of photos. I don't want the steam to get in the way of my amazing snapshots.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
"When your opponent gets nice and smoky, give 'em a solid attack!"

Why does Sakurai sound like Andrew Zimmern or some other cooking expert here

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Stupid. Please be able to turn it off.

Spend all that time making pretty characters and then you cover them with steam?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Oh awesome! Remember when Brawl was originally going to have characters show battle damage? Well, now we can tell how damaged our opponents are without constantly glancing at the bottom of the screen.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't like this update at all. I'm a fuzzy pickles w****, so I like to take alot of photos. I don't want the steam to get in the way of my amazing snapshots.
...So take them at a low percentage?

And then when you want to take something more risque, crank the steam up!

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Borders around teams... Steam from high damage... I hope we can turn this all off.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
"Casuals" aren't stupid, the only types of casuals who may actually fall for that are young kids. And second Sakurai could always change the effect when DK gets a fully charged punched.
You should welcome the "Casual-jokes", rather than go against them. Is only a joke, after all.
It's fun to draw all over the same border sometimes. You should try it, broski.

Wolfeon24

Smash Rookie
This actually might help me because I sometimes forget to look at my damage percent.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
While baffling at first glance, this makes perfect sense. Both games will have two screens, and if they've moved the damage percentages off to a separate screen, it's now harder to watch your opponent and their damage at the same time. This now gives you a visual indicator beside the character you're already watching to let you know when to go for the kill, rather than having to take your eyes off them for a second. The steam also appears to always be behind the character, even at the tilted camera angle shown, so it's not like you just gained a smoke ball attachment.

Change can be hard to accept, but after thinking it through, I like it. Very clever.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
More of a casual focused change. It'll make you panic a lot more when you see yourself steaming.
Steam will look better/worse on some characters more than others which is my only concern. DK's Charge also being steam could be a slight buff to his casual play when he's at high %s, so slight that it doesn't really matter.

Also, I'll be very disappointed if Lucario's steam is not replaced by Aura.

KidKrimzon

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidKrimzon
You guys look at this in a really weird way. If you've seen plenty of anime or played plenty of fighting games before the concept of a character being at their weakest and emitting steam isn't new. It's a kind of overheating from physical stress.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
While baffling at first glance, this makes perfect sense. Both games will have two screens, and if they've moved the damage percentages off to a separate screen, it's now harder to watch your opponent and their damage at the same time. This now gives you a visual indicator beside the character you're already watching to let you know when to go for the kill, rather than having to take your eyes off them for a second. The steam also appears to always be behind the character, even at the tilted camera angle shown, so it's not like you just gained a smoke ball attachment.

Change can be hard to accept, but after thinking it through, I like it. Very clever.
What this guy said.

In the 3DS at least, the damage counter might be located in the lower screen. So it's easier to have a visual cue than having to glance away from the action.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
Why/how are so many people confused about it being steam? It's clearly meant to be cartoony. As you get more damage, your character gets angrier, and they begin to turn red and steam up like an anime or Tom & Jerry character. It's just another addition to the silliness.

Of course, I understand that not everyone's happy about it. We've had lots of new visuals so far, like team colors being highlights instead of costumes, or KO explosions being colored to show who scored the point, but this is the first one that's seemed... obtrusive. This could get especially annoying in fights where multiple combatants stay in the higher percentages for long periods of time, and it could ruin the traditional flow of battle on 4-player fights by having everyone suddenly gang up on the steaming guy.

That said, I personally kinda like it. :substitute:

Top Bottom