• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - June 16th

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Are you trying to imply that you think Miis will change size in the middle of battle? Because normally, you'd go, "Oh, that Mii is tall! It has good range, I should watch out for that." Unless the hitboxes aren't set up right, you can tell how much range something has just by looking at it and knowing how it works.
But with Marth you automatically know what size he's going to be.

You don't have to worry about fighting Marth and going "Ok, so will he be really tall NBA Marth, Normal Marth, ****** Marth, Mini Marth, etc."

Miis appear to come in all sorts of heights that may or may not at all effect their range, weight, character model size, etc.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
But with Marth you automatically know what size he's going to be.

You don't have to worry about fighting Marth and going "Ok, so will he be really tall NBA Marth, Normal Marth, ****** Marth, Mini Marth, etc."

Miis appear to come in all sorts of heights that may or may not at all effect their range, weight, character model size, etc.
And? It takes like a second to figure out out a Mii will perform. Anyone who can't determine that has no business playing fighting games.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
And? It takes like a second to figure out out a Mii will perform. Anyone who can't determine that has no business playing fighting games.
Its not exactly as easy as that. Messing with size, and in tandem weight/Hurt Box size/reach can make some moves more or ineffective against said Mii.

Meaning some Miis might be more resistant to chain grabs earlier on while others might have long arms for good grab range. Meaning that on top of 36 different possible special moves any given Mii will have access to, they also have dubious properties to them that make fighting each Mii a task in of itself discerning what works on them and what doesn't. All because they potentially come in sizes that mess with their attributes.

I personally don't mind them changing sizes so long as it doesn't mess with those attributes somehow.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Its not exactly as easy as that. Messing with size, and in tandem weight/Hurt Box size/reach can make some moves more or ineffective against said Mii.

Meaning some Miis might be more resistant to chain grabs earlier on while others might have long arms for good grab range. Meaning that on top of 36 different possible special moves any given Mii will have access to, they also have dubious properties to them that make fighting each Mii a task in of itself discerning what works on them and what doesn't. All because they potentially come in sizes that mess with their attributes.

I personally don't mind them changing sizes so long as it doesn't mess with those attributes somehow.
Like I said, all of that can be determined at the start of a match. All there is to pay attention to is height, width, and moveset type. The move customization applies to every character.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Like I said, all of that can be determined at the start of a match. All there is to pay attention to is height, width, and moveset type. The move customization applies to every character.
And as I've said, it won't be as easy as that.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Why not? What property won't be visible?
Weight is a big one. If the units of size aren't in categories(Large, Medium, Small, etc.) then it becomes harder t discern a Mii's weight. And it becomes a guessing game of when you should start going for kill moves at higher percents.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Weight is a big one. If the units of size aren't in categories(Large, Medium, Small, etc.) then it becomes harder t discern a Mii's weight. And it becomes a guessing game of when you should start going for kill moves at higher percents.
Weight is visible. It's pretty likely that there'll be size categories though.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Weight is visible. It's pretty likely that there'll be size categories though.
So you're telling me that in the event that there aren't categories, you can see a Mii and go, "Yeah, that one's X heavy."

Kamiko

Smash Ace
So you're telling me that in the event that there aren't categories, you can see a Mii and go, "Yeah, that one's X heavy."
Are you saying you can't? This kind of thing is normal in life. After you play around with different sizes and shapes, it'll become easy.

Last edited:

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Are you saying you can't? This kind of thing is normal in life. After you play around with different sizes and shapes, it'll become easy.
I can on characters who have predetermined weights that don't fluctuate randomly.

However, if the category system does not come into play, I will say that the issue with weight won't be so much a problem if the weighs change marginally and very insignificantly.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
So you're telling me you've managed to learn 20 plus different weights and sizes from melee and brawl, yet the moment they introduce a BANNED character, may I add, then it becomes a problem to judge weight?

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I can on characters who have predetermined weights that don't fluctuate randomly.

However, if the category system does not come into play, I will say that the issue with weight won't be so much a problem if the weighs change marginally and very insignificantly.
Weight won't make it any easier for a player to hit you anyway, so really you only have to pay attention to their height.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
So you're telling me you've managed to learn 20 plus different weights and sizes from melee and brawl, yet the moment they introduce a BANNED character, may I add, then it becomes a problem to judge weight?
Quite. After years of fighting the same characters over and over again, you can develop a sense of weight for them. Depending on how height affects a Mii's weight and by what margin, that becomes more difficult.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Dang, all 3 of those moves looks really fun. Chakram is the only one tied to Side B? Interesting. So I could have one be Down B and one be normal B while leaving Up B for recovery? One of the reasons why I like playing Link so much is because he has 3 projectiles that do different things.

The more I see of the Mii Fighters, the more I see them being one of my mains. I'll find them to be incredibly ironic if I main them over any of the main Nintendo characters.

Nice to see more stuff on the swordsmen. Out of the 3, we know the least about them it seems.
Miis are Nintendo characters, so you're good to go.

Even though I still think a moveset based on the actual Mii series would've been miles better, this IS pretty cool.

Last edited:

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
Since we can only use these with friends (which makes it somewhat disappointing), it will force your friends to remember the ways you can get punished if you screw up.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Wow, that sure-iken is pretty cool.

That third move could probably cause all sorts of gailments.

I wonder when Cha-Chrom is getting confirmed?

I think I lost all my funny in the war, I'm trying way too hard here. Anyway, still super happy that Miis are in. I've got this pretty cool Mega Man X Mii that could work well as a Gunner class.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Wow, that sure-iken is pretty cool.

That third move could probably cause all sorts of gailments.

I wonder when Cha-Chrom is getting confirmed?

I think I lost all my funny in the war, I'm trying way too hard here. Anyway, still super happy that Miis are in. I've got this pretty cool Mega Man X Mii that could work well as a Gunner class.
jokes are like farts: if you have to force it, it's probably poop

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
the game is changing. While in melee it was about knowledge, it is now about adaptability, do you expect sakurai to go to the trouble of removing a feature just because a few people dislike it?
Ironically, the one thing the Smash community has never and can never do is adapt. Project M is proof; they'll literally change the game before they change themselves.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Ironically, the one thing the Smash community has never and can never do is adapt. Project M is proof; they'll literally change the game before they change themselves.
and that's why I dislike the smash community, they never accept a new game for what it is. Perhaps we should start a community specifically for smash 4

Last edited:

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to legit main the Mii. It looks so cool.

Project M sucks. It's not that there needs to be a Melee 2.0 (or 0.2 like PM), it's just that there needs to be a Smash game thats competitive and casual friendly. At least that's what I think. It's why I like Smash Flash 2. It's not trying to be exactly like Melee, nor is it trying to be like Brawl. From what I've played, Smash 4 leans closer to Brawl, but I see it having a competitive future. It probably won't be as big as Melee is though.

The real question is whether or not these guys we'll be usable in tournament. Hopefully they have default Miis, so that you can.
Why are people against customization in tournaments? I mean, from what I've seen, it's balanced out so. For example, Mario's Large Fireball is slow.

Last edited by a moderator:

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Why are people against customization in tournaments? I mean, from what I've seen, it's balanced out so. For example, Mario's Large Fireball is slow.
weather or not it should be tourney legal should be put to a vote for fairness sake (altho I agree with you that they seem balanced), and even if it's turned down it will probably become a side event. All in all, I think it's rather dumb to be radical about it before the game is even out

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Balancing (especially in a game like smash) is more than just "weak attack is fast, strong attack is slow." There are more variables you have to consider.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
but we shouldn't be ban-happy before the game is even out, we should at least give it a couple months of testing before we decide
I completely agree, I'm just pointing out that more goes into balancing than how slow the move goes in relation to it's power, especially in a game like this where there are 20+ different attacks connected to a character that already has his own speed and defensive stats, along with jump height and hurtboxes, and even more so when 5 of those moves have 4 different interchangeable moves that each work drastically differently.

Last edited:

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Watch, someone is going to find a broken custom moveset and then abuse it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
the game is changing. While in melee it was about knowledge, it is now about adaptability, do you expect sakurai to go to the trouble of removing a feature just because a few people dislike it?
THIS

THIS is the gold mine. It makes the game adapt, too, for a long time. No longer do we have a game just about a tier system; if we have the customizations into account (moves and items) for the tournaments, the tier list is going to be as complex as pokemon is.

Bravo, Sakurai.

Watch, someone is going to find a broken custom moveset and then abuse it.
And then it will be patched..

Last edited by a moderator:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
>Smash Bros.
>Patched
>Nintendo

Wut?
I have no idea what is confusing to you mate
A patch is a digitally exported and required update to software, in this case a game, to fix a problem, which in this case would be to balance out a huge disadvantage

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
I have no idea what is confusing to you mate
A patch is a digitally exported and required update to software, in this case a game, to fix a problem, which in this case would be to balance out a huge disadvantage
I'm sorry, I don't think you understand. Nintendo isn't like Capcom or other companies who actually care about how their competitive games work. If that was the case, Meta-Knight woulda got nerfed in Brawl. Guess what? They didn't release a patch and he's still light years better than everyone else in the game over 6 years later.

Nintendo isn't the sorta company that patches their games to fix characters for balancing issues. Meaning that when someone inevitably finds a broken custom moveset, its never going to be fixed by Nintendo. Meaning people can and will abuse it to no end as they please.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
There is no way sizes won't be in categories. Making sizes "fluid" on top of all the costumes, movesets, and other such stuff that would be loaded, it would be much easier for a development team to simply condense sizes into a few categories.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
There is no way sizes won't be in categories. Making sizes "fluid" on top of all the costumes, movesets, and other such stuff that would be loaded, it would be much easier for a development team to simply condense sizes into a few categories.
That's why I really hope that's the case. It wouldn't be a problem otherwise.

Top Bottom