• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - June 16th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. Here are some weapons the Mii Swordfighter can use: Shurikens of Light, Chakrams, and Gale Strikes. You can control the direction the Chakram is thrown, or even make it stall in midair. The Chakram is also the only one of these tied to the side special move, so you can use one of the other items consecutively with this one."

Last edited by a moderator:
The last few days, I've spent a lot of time in the Mii Maker just preparing all the Miis I'm going to use for my fighters!

Since Miis have adjustable height and girth, I wonder if they will reflect that in Smash's gameplay.

Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
So basically the Chakram can only be a side special, where as Shurikens of Light and Gale Strikes can possibly be Neutral, Side, or Down Specials depending on the players preference.

I am loving this <3

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Since Miis are (apparently) supposed to have moves cloned from other characters, I wonder who are the original owners of the shuriken and chakram moves. The shuriken could be a different version of Greninja's Water Shuriken, though I doubt it. The gale thing is probably from Link's boomerang. No idea about the chakram.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
The last few days, I've spent a lot of time in the Mii Maker just preparing all the Miis I'm going to use for my fighters!

Since Miis have adjustable height and girth, I wonder if they will reflect that in Smash's gameplay.
That was an argument I made against Miis being possible playable characters. It just wouldn't work. My guess is only the face of the mii changes. All mii fighters will probably have the same sized bodies. That is wayyy too much work for them to adjust movesets based on body height and width.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Noice. I used to be super anti-Mii but the way it's presented now is not too shabby. I might even call in awesome.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Looks cool enough. Can't say I'll be playing much as a Mii, but I'm glad they have customizable movesets. Makes it cooler for those that do want to self-insert or create characters that didn't get in.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
The real question is whether or not these guys we'll be usable in tournament. Hopefully they have default Miis, so that you can.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
That was an argument I made against Miis being possible playable characters. It just wouldn't work. My guess is only the face of the mii changes. All mii fighters will probably have the same sized bodies. That is wayyy too much work for them to adjust movesets based on body height and width.

Screen shot taken from the Mii fighter trailer. The Mii in Red is obviously shorter than the ones in Pink and Black. And is about as tall as the white one thats crouching. I don't know about different weight types, but we have proof there will be changes in height based on the Mii chosen.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Dang, all 3 of those moves looks really fun. Chakram is the only one tied to Side B? Interesting. So I could have one be Down B and one be normal B while leaving Up B for recovery? One of the reasons why I like playing Link so much is because he has 3 projectiles that do different things.

The more I see of the Mii Fighters, the more I see them being one of my mains. I'll find them to be incredibly ironic if I main them over any of the main Nintendo characters.

Nice to see more stuff on the swordsmen. Out of the 3, we know the least about them it seems.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman

Screen shot taken from the Mii fighter trailer. The Mii in Red is obviously shorter than the ones in Pink and Black. And is about as tall as the white one thats crouching. I don't know about different weight types, but we have proof there will be changes in height based on the Mii chosen.
That's just ridiculous. For friends it's gonna be so hard getting to know your opponent if they keep using different mii fighters. If you take away the ability to customize moves, you have 3 different miis that all can vary in height meaning different attack range. Surely width is doable if they took it that far. I find it ridiculous how you can still customize your mii in some way even if all players agreed to use default movesets.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
That's just ridiculous. For friends it's gonna be so hard getting to know your opponent if they keep using different mii fighters. If you take away the ability to customize moves, you have 3 different miis that all can vary in height meaning different attack range. Surely width is doable if they took it that far. I find it ridiculous how you can still customize your mii in some way even if all players agreed to use default movesets.
"OH NO! Customizable characters you can actually CUSTOMIZE?! That's Crazy! It shouldn't be able to work like that!"

That's how you sound right now, and its absolutely ridiculous. I cant stop laughing! What makes it funnier is I can tell your trying to be serious. Thanks for the laugh, I needed that!

Last edited:

grizby2

Smash Lord
im still anti-mii. doesn't mean im not gonna see what I can do with them of course. I LOVE character creation stuff. I had a blast doing it in soul caliber, maybe I can make masked man with the sword moves lol.

I know its wrong to say that miis aren't staple characters of Nintendo. I guess the main reason I wasn't for them is because their isn't a DEFUALT mii that everyone affiliates with them, despite there being a default mii
I don't see him being used at all :ohwell:
kinda like how we have THE default villager/commander shepard ♂♀, fable protagonist, little big planet...thing. ect.

speaking of default, I wonder if they come with preset moves before customizing them. if not.... what three moves would be considered their default moveset? the first 3 moves or something?

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
"OH NO! Customizable characters you can actually CUSTOMIZE?! That's Crazy! It shouldn't be able to work like that!"

That's how you sound right now, and its absolutely ridiculous. I cant stop laughing! What makes it funnier is I can tell your trying to be serious. Thanks for the laugh, I needed that!
I'm not trying to be a drama queen or anything. My main point was that you can still change your mii's size even when players agree to not customize your characters. There really is no default mii since a mii's height can vary and that will affect how it plays.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I'm not trying to be a drama queen or anything. My main point was that you can still change your mii's size even when players agree to not customize your characters. There really is no default mii since a mii's height can vary and that will affect how it plays.
You can determine how they function based on how they look. Also, Mario Kart already does this.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
You can determine how they function based on how they look. Also, Mario Kart already does this.
Right that's what I'm saying. But players who do not choose mii fighter in a fight don't get to change their character's size. It's an advantage that mii fighter players will have even when they agree to use default movesets. That's just an observation.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Right that's what I'm saying. But players who do not choose mii fighter in a fight don't get to change their character's size. It's an advantage that mii fighter players will have even when they agree to use default movesets. That's just an observation.
Again someone who needs to be reminded of the fact that NOT EVERYONE PLAYS SMASH BROS COMPETITIVELY!

Most people Don't take that sort of stuff into account when playing smash bros. You just pick a character, select a costume, chose a stage, then have at it. Stuff like hight and weight for mii characters don't, and won't, matter to people who play these series For Fun.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.

I would just like to point out in this picture of the 4 mii that it's showing sword mii, gunner, brawler, sword. Instead of thinking we can customize the mii heights/weight it would be more logical to assume that each type of mii fighter has a different height/weight like every other character

Last edited:

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
so...
shuriken for neutral B
chakram for side B
and
tornado for down B?

well thats intresting looks like your not gona have to stick with the Mii gunner if ya want some range on your character

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770

I would just like to point out in this picture of the 4 mii that it's showing sword mii, gunner, brawler, sword. Instead of thinking we can customize the mii heights/weight it would be more logical to assume that each type of mii fighter has a different height/weight like every other character
But the male Mii Swordfighter to the left appears to be a bit taller than the female Swordfighter to the right.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775

if you look through this gallery you''ll be able to see that in most screen shots the gunners, brawlers and swordfighters all vary in height regardless of type. Some Brawlers are taller than others, some gunners are shorter than others. And many of the different fighting types share heights as well.

and if you need more proof, take a look at this

This image features 3 brawlers. You can tell just by looking that Heights are something that can be adjusted.

Last edited:

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
How is that an advantage?
Hit boxing and overall range. If you've got a tall janky Mii, then he/she's gonna have some janky long arms and legs to punch and kick with.

I personally don't mind varying heights on Miis because at the most they'll just be a fun little side character from the main cast. Can you imagine going to a tournament and the top player's best character is a Mii? (Inb4 someone exploits a broken as heck Mii special move combination)

Tristan_win

Not dead.
if you look through this gallery you''ll be able to see that in most screen shots the gunners, brawlers and swordfighters all vary in height regardless of type. Some Brawlers are taller than others, some gunners are shorter than others. And many of the different fighting types share heights as well.

and if you need more proof, take a look at this

This image features 3 brawlers. You can tell just by looking that Heights are something that can be adjusted.
Hmmm, good find. You sir are correct as it seems we can adjust their sizes.
Now the real question is will the frame data change depending on how big or small you make your character? It's going to be a real problem for the development team to program hit boxes and hurt boxes for every single possible size variant, this isn't even including hats/decorations. For things like super mushrooms and poison mushrooms it was easier due to your character getting bigger/smaller at a set interval but this will be a much bigger project.

Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Well lets take into account Namco is working on this game. Namco is known for many different games, but in terms of fighting games, their best known for the soulcalibure fighting series, which has included an edit feature since the series 3rd installment. In the SC games you can edit all kinds of stuff regarding your character, including height, weight, and body types. Be them as thing, tall, muscular, or fat as you want.

I'm sure for them, this is no problem at all. I can see them sticking to 3 to 4 general height types. Tall, average, below average, and small. By sticking to just that many height types, characters will likely be automatically fit into one of those 4 slots when a Mii is being registered from the console into the game.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Well lets take into account Namco is working on this game. Namco is known for many different games, but in terms of fighting games, their best known for the soulcalibure fighting series, which has included an edit feature since the series 3rd installment. In the SC games you can edit all kinds of stuff regarding your character, including height, weight, and body types. Be them as thing, tall, muscular, or fat as you want.

I'm sure for them, this is no problem at all. I can see them sticking to 3 to 4 general height types. Tall, average, below average, and small. By sticking to just that many height types, characters will likely be automatically fit into one of those 4 slots when a Mii is being registered from the console into the game.
That's a good method for size I'd think.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
If playing as Reggie wasn't enough, Sakurai went ahead and showed us that we can indeed recreate our favourite (and most outlandish) characters to play as *faints*

All we need is unrealistic hair colours and everything will be PERFECT.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
As far as I can see, if custom movesets shouldn't be a huge problem competitively, especially if we compare the options available in this game to the options in other games with competitive scenes like Pokemon, or perhaps a better example, Dark souls and Dark souls 2.

Seeing how the customization in smash seems quite tame in comparison to both of those games, and seeing how both of those games do have thriving competitive communities, I'd say that we would be able to manage, especially once the meta evolved since overtime we would be able to determine which moves are inherently more useful than another move, either overall or in a particular match-up.

If you're plying Marth for instance, and you know that Pikachu's custom 2 variety of thunder jolt is inherently more useful against you in that match-up than the other two, or that mii brawlers do not like to use "head-on assault" in that match then you can make some inferences about the character before they even start using any moves. Sure, they might use an unfavorable move anyway to throw you off but once the initial surprise is gone you already know what to deal with.

As long as players always plan to adapt, no one should end up losing to the "random" factor too often, if at all.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Marth stays one size.
Are you trying to imply that you think Miis will change size in the middle of battle? Because normally, you'd go, "Oh, that Mii is tall! It has good range, I should watch out for that." Unless the hitboxes aren't set up right, you can tell how much range something has just by looking at it and knowing how it works.

Top Bottom