• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 15th

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
I love the whiners in here. Lucina for the win. Y'all need to get some nipple milk and calm down.

Evil Idol

Smash Rookie
NNID
Evil_Idol
So she's a shorter Marth without a tipper. Way to kill the hype, Sakurai.
My thoughts exactly. Sure the damage is equal throughout, but Marth's killing potential is all in the tippers. Unless she has something to make up for it, Lucina will probably be on the lower end of Mid Tier because of the landing lag

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I see. So Palla isn't getting in. How about you 1v1 me sakurai irl you **** we'll have an irl brawl

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
If it were obvious, he wouldn't have had to clarify. You could have just as easily have been wrong.
Not really, considering the fact that the evidences and prove were more than enough to convince denial people like you, that Lucina's a separate character before Sakurai even made this confirmation. So don't even say that.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
well we already have ruy and ken link and toon link this was not need and i haven't play street fighter for awhile but i think there not a cloney as they once where
Street Fighter doesn't just have Ken and Ryu: there's also Gouken, Dan, Evil Ryu, and Akuma, and that's only counting the "shotos." Even so, all of them have the same base moveset, but each one has different abilities, frame lag, speed, etc. to separate them from each other.

If Street Fighter can do that with more than 5 characters, there's no reason Smash Bros can't do that with 2 characters.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Street Fighter doesn't just have Ken and Ryu: there's also Gouken, Dan, Evil Ryu, and Akuma, and that's only counting the "shotos." Even so, all of them have the same base moveset, but each one has different abilities, frame lag, speed, etc. to separate them from each other.

If Street Fighter can do that with more than 5 characters, there's no reason Smash Bros can't do that with 2 characters.
well street fighter is making characters from nothing smash is useing a wide range of Nintendo character Lucina has nothing really different from marth no flames nothing no effects and don't say that eye thing like i can see that or care about that in gamepaly

edit and as i said elsewhere it might nerfe the original they don't do that in street fighter i think

Last edited:

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
So in some way meleebers finally got Roy back, just in a female Marth skin. I hope people stop whining now, it's a new characters anyway for ****'s sake.
Also, people claiming she was an alternate costume will finally shut up

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
She seems like a glorified alt to me. I'm not mad that she's a clone though, it's not like she's replacing anyone.
Except Roy. Oh wait. He never really had a chance to begin with.
......*shifts eyes, hides under flame shield*

But in all seriousness, I figured after those stills someone uploaded she'd lack a tipper mechanic. As for the clone thing, to be fair, she frickin' impersonates Marth throughout Awakening, so she might as well fight like him, too. Whether she'll be better than Marth, only time will tell. Remember, Roy was a glorified Marth clone in Melee, and look where he ended up.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, if your suggesting that just because she if a swordswoman,she is warranted, is as sexist as the people who are against females in Smash.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
It may just be the stances, but Lucina doesn't really look shorter in these pictures. I'm excited for her anyway, even if she is pretty close to Marth.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
Wait, so she's a clone?

Hah, who cares? Clones are OK with me! Heck, I loved even Pichu.

MelmanOfDaSouthh

Smash Cadet
Screw the optimism she is a clone, she even looks like Marth. WHERES CHROM THE HATE IS REAL *cry* R-robin doesnt need Chrom just give him/her Volt Tackle no one will notice... plz .... *cry* #nothappening

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Also, am I the only one bothered by the fact that Lucina is getting a free pass on being a clone, with people saying she is "just fine", while people won't shut up about Toon Link, despite the fact Toon Link is a veteran (so his inclusion comes with little fanfare or attention from the developers), and even though he is quite a bit more differentiated from Link than Lucina is from Marth?

Granted, I wish Toon Link was more unique, but because he is a veteran, him still being a clone was no surprise. And he at least has some different moves, and his specials at least have very different properties, and has a vastly different size/hit box to Link. Lucina is barely any different.
Meet

Because Lucina being a clone of Marth makes sense, flavor-wise. It's mostly true to her character in her game.

Toon Link has dozens, DOZENS of unique attributes to pull from to differentiate himself from normal Link, but none of them were used.

That's why.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Not really, considering the fact that the evidences and prove were more than enough to convince denial people like you, that Lucina's a separate character before Sakurai even made this confirmation. So don't even say that.
I wasn't in denial. I just wasn't convinced either. We've seen costume swaps, a character swap doesn't didn't sound out of question.
It was pretty obvious to most people though, pointless details like "did not have a whole trailer and artwork" when she was in Robin's or, "a newcomer page is justifiable for an alt" because no it isn't since other chars with alts aren't that way were really baseless. Nevermind the fact that we had clones in the past with similar animations and body types.
But we are talking about the Smash fanbase were the obvious inexplicably escapes a lot of people and small details have to be over analyzed through and through, and before you know it people find hidden stuff where there is nothing to see.
I can pick apart small things too like, how come Cp. Falcon didn't have a tagline when other veterans (Zamus, Sheik, Yoshi, Charizard) had one as well? But I don't because I know that is not a big deal.

People should be able to figure this out on their own instead of needing Sakurai to come out and say "Yes, she is a new character, dammit!" I guess you could say that today, some people were hit with a reality_ciak.

No, he didn't. Roy's creation process was: Click Marth, Ctrl+C, click slot, Ctrl+V. Add flames and call it a day. I can't see how that is more than Lucina.
Those pointless details were brought up by whoever I quoted and correct them.

Without the clarification from Sakurai, the only entirely compelling proof we could have seen is if someone did a direct comparison of Lucina and Marth to show that they actually had differences. Which could have been done but I haven't seen it.

It's not right to condescend just because you were right over such a trival matter. I wasn't arguing, just rightfully speculating.

Anyone looking at just the pictures and not Sakurai's comments would have thought the opposite was confirm. I saw the Japanese post first and almost went to bed thinking she was a character swap and we'd have to unlock separately or something. But I didn't jump the gun and start being rude to everyone who thought she was her own slot. Nor would have I been if that were true.

What it comes down to is we have a clone (two if we count Toon Link) when we were expecting no clones and a smaller more diverse roster. We don't know the extent of her clonliness, and I'm eager to see more differences because the two we were told are far too subtle for me to be excited to play as her. But, hopefully clones serve more as additions to the roster rather than taking up any "slot" that could have been diversified. 60 with 10 clones is better than 50 with no clones any day. The more the merrier.

It may be a waste of Lucina(because she could have been completely unique), but hopefully it's not a waste of a slot (because she could have not been in at all).

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Even if it makes "sense" that Lucina is a Melee FULL clone of Marth based on her backstory, it doesn't. Storywise, she intimates Marth, she is not an exact copy of him with little to no differences. Anyone who played FEA, I ask you, was she an exact replica of Marth in that game? Same pose, attacks, animations etc? Did she have anything unique to offer and if so what's the excuse for it's absence?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
well street fighter is making characters from nothing smash is useing a wide range of Nintendo character Lucina has nothing really different from marth no flames nothing no effects and don't say that eye thing like i can see that or care about that in gamepaly

edit and as i said elsewhere it might nerfe the original they don't do that in street fighter i think
Yeah, that is true. Street Fighter creates their own characters, and gives each of those characters a reason why they have their movesets. For example, Gouken is Ken and Ryu's teacher, Ken and Ryu studied together, hence the similarities in fighting styles, etc.

I could say the same about Lucina though: she's Marth's descendant and has his D.N.A. She even has the same sword that defeated the Shadow Dragon, even though it's design changed over the years. Maybe that's why the power isn't focused on the tip anymore. It's no wonder why she would play similarly, though, with both being part of the same royal family.

About the nerf thing you said:
  1. We don't know whether Lucina > Marth, nor Marth > Lucina. Lucina might be easier to use, but in no way does that mean she's a better character. I think it's wiser to wait for the release and test the characters rather than jump to conclusions.
  2. Street Fighter nerfs and buffs characters throughout games interchangeably. Ken just got buffed in USF4, while Ryu is pretty much in the same tier as him now (some think Ryu's slightly inferior than Ken, but that's debatable). On the other hand, Sakura (another Ryu "shoto" I forgot to mention in my previous post) used to be considered much better than both of these until USF4's nerf.
In the end though, I don't think you're wrong to think that Lucina is a waste of a slot: she does have the same moveset as another character with slightly different attributes, and I understand why anyone would be upset to see the same moveset again with slight tinkers.

Personally, I'm indifferent to Lucina being in the game, as I've never enjoyed playing as Marth, Roy, and I probably won't enjoy Lucina either. It's not necessarily bad to have a "simpler" version of the same character, though, and - given previous history - I'm positive that Marth and Lucina will end up playing and performing differently.

Gusto

Smash Cadet
Sakurai did this "pic of the day" just to prove the idiots saying she was an alternate costume wrong, I bet.
Anyway, she seems to be the new Roy. Cool!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Regardless, I still despise this inclusion. Neither her or Robin are really "legendary" yet, but at least Robin is really unique. Lucina is a mere clone. And FE is now way overrepped.

Malion

Smash Ace
Overrepped is a strong word. I mean this is FE13. That's a lot of games there.

Conversely Mother had 3 games. With 2 characters in Brawl. And Star Fox had 6 games (2 of which were remakes) and 3 characters.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I'm completely fine with this, I don't mind clones at all. My favorite character in Brawl is a clone.

By the way, I don't see anything different in her left eye. Am I blind?

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Except Roy. Oh wait. He never really had a chance to begin with.
......*shifts eyes, hides under flame shield*

But in all seriousness, I figured after those stills someone uploaded she'd lack a tipper mechanic. As for the clone thing, to be fair, she frickin' impersonates Marth throughout Awakening, so she might as well fight like him, too. Whether she'll be better than Marth, only time will tell. Remember, Roy was a glorified Marth clone in Melee, and look where he ended up.
Oh yeah, him. WELLLL, if Sakurai had the roster planned from the beginning, he must not have had Roy as a choice at all.

Also I need to draw Roy comforting Chrom now

Malion

Smash Ace
I'm completely fine with this, I don't mind clones at all. My favorite character in Brawl is a clone.

By the way, I don't see anything different in her left eye. Am I blind?

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
She's a clone with her own character slot and VERY MINIMAL CHANGES.
Perfect Sakurai, continue to make Chrom supporters feel terrible, please. I suspect the Lucina fans aren't too happy with this either -- or are you guys okay with her being in regardless?

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
In July we had F-Zero and Fire Emblem Anniversaries while in August we have Earthbound Xenoblade and Rhythm Heaven Anniversaries So.. Could we get a Ness VS Shulk VS the Chorus Trio match?

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
She's a clone with her own character slot and VERY MINIMAL CHANGES.
Perfect Sakurai, continue to make Chrom supporters feel terrible, please. I suspect the Lucina fans aren't too happy with this either -- or are you guys okay with her being in regardless?
i originally would have been happy with a lucina alt for marth. this works for me, for I'm happy simply with the ability to play her. as for chrom, i don't really care much for him.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I only think Lucina got in as a "throw it in" thanks to Marth... Kind of like a freebie.

Body proportions? Almost identical to Marth.
Fighting style? Identical to Marth, with the only changes being the sword mechanics and range.
Lucina could even be just a costume swap, since the animations are exactly the same. Since Sakurai doesn't like making separate characters as costumes, he and his team went ahead and done some minimal tweaks to Marth and make Lucina her own slot. From a development point of view, this wouldn't have taken as much time to do as the other newcomers. I'd even dare to say that one of Melee's clones took more time to make than Lucina.

Lucina has a lot of fans and there was an easy way to add her to the roster. I think if it weren't for Lucina's popularity, we would have only gotten Robin.

Speaking of Robin, I feel he's the true FE newcomer of the game. The trailer focused on him/her much more than Lucina.

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940

Smash has made at least a few characters from nothing like captain falcon and fox. But yes I agree with you nintendo could do some characters in smash much better.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
In July we had F-Zero and Fire Emblem Anniversaries while in August we have Earthbound Xenoblade and Rhythm Heaven Anniversaries So.. Could we get a Ness VS Shulk VS the Chorus Trio match?
why do people have hope for Issac? his original game was so long ago, and with no recent releases (dark dawn almost 4 years ago) the likelyhood of his making the roster is really doubtful. you have to be super hot stuff or a super staple character to make it. not that i wouldn't love playing isaac. "Isaac's sword starts to glow...!"

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
I'm just glad Sakurai crushed everyone's theory of being a straight clone. Based Sakurai.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
why do people have hope for Issac? his original game was so long ago, and with no recent releases (dark dawn almost 4 years ago) the likelyhood of his making the roster is really doubtful. you have to be super hot stuff or a super staple character to make it. not that i wouldn't love playing isaac. "Isaac's sword starts to glow...!"
Bah, Pit was in Brawl, wasn't he? And his last game was a lonnnng time before Brawl came out.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Where did Issac come from?

Top Bottom