• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 15th

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Well this is by far the most disappointing character announcement yet. I've loved all the others! Why so little love toward Lucina? Seriously, she's worse than Roy

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Maybe it's just me, but I thought she looked a lot faster in this trailer than Marth. Isn't everyone saying that Marth is slower and worse in the air now?

Well this is by far the most disappointing character announcement yet. I've loved all the others! Why so little love toward Lucina? Seriously, she's worse than Roy
Seriously, we know almost nothing about her so far lol

Last edited:

Trav11111

Smash Cadet
I see a lot of talk about her being a clone (with Sakurai's dna joke she technically sort of is), but I don't think the play style will be near the same. Marth is going to want that little bit of distance to really dish the pain, where as Lucina wants to just get in and land as many strikes as she can. This changes tactics quite a bit. Also, being a bit taller might increase Marths range.

Little differences can be a big play style change.

Trav11111

Smash Cadet
I see a lot of talk about her being a clone (with Sakurai's dna joke she technically sort of is), but I don't think the play style will be near the same. Marth is going to want that little bit of distance to really dish the pain, where as Lucina wants to just get in and land as many strikes as she can. This changes tactics quite a bit. Also, being a bit taller might increase Marths range.

Little differences can be a big play style change.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
This is puzzling and disappointing... but not because of Lucina. Clone mutterings aside, why did we get a weekend's advanced notice for this, and a picture of a freaking Rayman trophy hours before it? I think more than anything, I'm disappointed because our expectations were raised to expect something very different... which is all too familiar a feeling with the Smash series.

On the bright(?) side, this significantly increases Ganondorf's chances of staying the same.

I used to jokingly say that Roy was like Marth with training wheels. Now, I can say in all seriousness that Lucina is like Marth with training wheels.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
So, can we lay the whole "Marth is a girl" thing to rest? :smirk:

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
So much for the no more clones thing. No matter the "small differences" shes still obviously a clone, something I'm pretty sure was stated at one point that we weren't going to get any more of.
You got me, Sakurai.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So she's the blandest character in the game then?

Sounds like Marth, only without the thing that makes Marth particularly interesting to play as (the tipper). And possibly slowing him down to make Lucina "fast Marth", which is a middle finger to those who like Marth.

Farorae

Smash Ace
Well knew I she was going to end up being a clone sadly. I'm kinda disappointed because there is so much more you can do with a sword move set. Well at least it's cool to have another character to the roster, clone or not. Although Robin's really awesome looking moveset helps me overlook the clone. Anyways, here's to hoping they change up Ganondorf's moveset some.

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
Well, while "physical ablilites are identical to Marth's" makes it seem like she's the cloniest clone to have ever cloned, I'd say we can't say she's exactly identical minus the tipper, yet. I feel like simply removing the tipper hitboxes from Marth (and probably, but not certainly slightly upping the power of the remaining hitboxes, or changing the speed of the attacks) would not work out for all moves.

Also, really, she doesn't use Roy's sword mechanic: Roy's mechanic is the sweetspot in the center of the blade, correct? Lucina's mechanic is balanced power along the entire blade, if this explanation is to be taken literally.

While I think she would have been more than fine as an alternate costume plus voice change for Marth, I guess this is really not all that offensive, since it's really not adding much workload to the development, so we get something that could be interesting for basically no loss elsewhere. I still can't say I'm thrilled to know we're getting a true-blue (har) clone, though, where it seemed we were rid of them with Brawl only having semi-clones...

So... could Dark Pit be a similarly "separate character," you think? I wonder if they feel they can't have an alternate costume that is another character without some gameplay differences...

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Sakurai shouldn't have worded it like that, we clearly saw that Lucina's physical abilities are not identical to Marth's, her attacks all had some minor difference, like Fox/Falco.
Hey look, it's Roy. :roypm:
Except relevant.

Last edited:

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
No, he didn't. Roy's creation process was: Click Marth, Ctrl+C, click slot, Ctrl+V. Add flames and call it a day. I can't see how that is more than Lucina.
Lucina is exactly that as well. Just without the unique idle pose, and flames. :')

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Lucina fights exactly how she fights on Awakening's cutscenes, her fight-style's refined, but she still has a bit of guns-blazing Chrom charm to her playstyle, which makes her a little wilder than Marth, being unexperienced compared to him, this represents the character perfectly, unlike what Sakurai did to Miis....

Also, fighting games have semi-clones, deal with it, and no, your 'wasted slot' whining doesn't apply here because by that logic, Lucina took almost no effort to make.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So Lucina is essentially Toon Link. Interesting.

I wonder what all the Lucas haters have to say now.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I was wrong about her being a costume. I admit that, and am proceeding to eat my hat.

However, I'm torn here. I actually didn't really want her to be a costume since the idea of costumes that turn characters into completely different characters always bugged me. But, seriously? She had a unique, recognizable fighting style in Awakening, and instead of giving her that and making a neat moveset out of it, they cloned Marth, made him "slightly shorter" and took away an interesting part of his play style (the tipper) and called it a day.

Yeah, ruminating on this, I'm not OK with it. Go ahead and call a complainer or whatever you want. I've zipped my lip with what few complaints I have about this game, even Mii Fighters, but I think I get at least one, and this is it. My poor Lyn is being forced to live the empty, meaningless life of an Assist Trophy while Girl Marth gets to roam free.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
So... no one ******* about Lucina being a clone and is 100% okay with it. On the other hand, we have ToonLink and almost everyone ***** about him being just a semi-clone.

Now before anyone reply, please don't. I get that Lucina and Marth's sword works differently and what not, so don't get all butthurt that I just called her a clone. Either way, it makes me upset that people cry about ToonLink all the time, yes I get he could have different moves and stuff but still, so could Lucina. -_-

Either way, I'm happy with her being in the game. Lol Way better than Chrom. We get a female.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Lucina is exactly that as well. Just without the unique idle pose, and flames. :')
And thus rendering your previous statement of Roy's "uniqueness" pointless. But hey, I guess that if we need to account the idle pose that's when we know that we are grasping for straws.
Although with Lucina we've only seen 5 moves in total, add the fact that we've yet to play her to know her properties.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
I'm glad Sakurai cleared this up as soon as possible. Not really mad that she is a clone (it makes sense in story) but like other have stated I do hope there are more differences than what is stated maybe custom moves will help her be unique?

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Everyone is freaking out for no reason. There's absolutely no way she's literally Marth without the tipper. Her stats have to be very different.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Clones happen. It would be foolish not to expect any (I mean people want Falco right? Let's be real here.).

That being said, who knows how different she is? Heck, who knows how different her customizable moves are from Marth? WE DON'T KNOW YET

SuperBoshi

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
JOHN#281
I'm so happy that Gematsu leak has shot itself right in the foot. Now surprise is back into Smash Bros.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
It's confirmed, Lucina is Martha. So far, the only newcomer I am not a fan of at all, shoehorned just to have a female swordsmen. Sigh.
But who knows,Maybe she will be like Flaco, Wolf, Gannondorf, Lucas(AKA not full clones like Lucina) and actually have standout differences and unique moves.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
It's funny how people are now getting upset with clones yet we already had one for the longest being confirmed and returned. Either way, it's not really much of a big deal since the cast so far is very unique and numerous in it.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Hey I just thought of something... Does this mean Lucina's down aerial can't meteor/spike?
No, it doesn't mean that.

In the demo at least, Marth's Dair tipper wasn't a spike/meteor, but the rest of the sword was.

Even if we can trust that demo Marth will be exactly the same as the final product, if Lucina has the broadside mechanics of Marth, it would mean that she still has the spike/meteor.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's funny how people are now getting upset with clones yet we already had one for the longest being confirmed and returned. Either way, it's not really much of a big deal since the cast so far is very unique and numerous in it.
I'm not annoyed simply BECAUSE she's a clone.

But even as far as clones go, she's so bland and uninteresting, and seems like an attempt to overshadow the character she is based off of.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I can see two possibilities:

1. Lucina is just a semi-clone like Falco.
  2. The roster will have a great deal of clones like this; stat changes and mechanic changes. This would allow a huge number of characters to get repped, but they wouldn't get the unique moveset they deserve. We might also end up in a Falcondorf-type situation where the character needs a unique moveset in Smash 5, but can't get one because people mained them in Smash 4.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
And it was on this day that one of the happiness fairies perished.

But at least she's more usable than Roy.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
So... no one *****es about Lucina being a clone and is 100% okay with it. On the other hand, we have ToonLink and almost everyone ***** about him being just a semi-clone.

Now before anyone reply, please don't. I get that Lucina and Marth's sword works differently and what not, so don't get all butthurt that I just called her a clone. Either way, it makes me upset that people cry about ToonLink all the time, yes I get he could have different moves and stuff but still, so could Lucina. -_-

Either way, I'm happy with her being in the game. Lol Way better than Chrom. We get a female.
Because Lucina being a clone of Marth makes sense, flavor-wise. It's mostly true to her character in her game.

Toon Link has dozens, DOZENS of unique attributes to pull from to differentiate himself from normal Link, but none of them were used.

That's why.

Metallaeus

Smash Apprentice
People complain about Lucina being a Marth clone.

Falco is a Fox clone with moves that look pretty much completely identical in Melee, but his moves have been slightly altered and certain moves have different properties which in turn make him play completely different from Fox and in turn make him a completely unique character. Also he is Falco, not Fox, and thus has a completely different personality which also rounds out his character/character slot. People love Melee. People love Falco. I don't get the Lucina hate. She's a Marth clone. So wat. She is also great waifu Lucina. It's not like they play the exact same, and it's not like we have the in-depth gameplay knowledge to prove that either, so we wait in anticipation. 8)

Wasted character slot? I'd say not. I believe more fans are grateful she made it in than not. Sakurai coulda just said "**** y'all" and gave us only Robin. But he didn't, and so I am grateful.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'd say not. I believe more fans are grateful she made it in than not.
Considering the amount of sales Awakening had (a million or so, meaning that is the max amount of people that could be satisfied), compared to the sheer number of people who buy and play Smash (20 million and something, IIRC), I seriously doubt most Smash fans are happy with Lucina.

I don't have any attachment to the characters from Awakening since I've only played the demo, but Robin looks like a really unique addition in terms of how he/she plays. So I'm liking him/her quite a bit. I think that after Rosalina & Luma, Robin might be the most unique addition to the roster.

However, I'm not liking Lucina, as she literally adds nothing to the game. Her inclusion on the roster is just pure pandering, and probably comes from the fact that Sakurai really loves Fire Emblem, so he wants to squeeze as much from the series as he can, into Smash. I really don't think most people would care if she was just a glorified skin swap for Marth, like Panda is to Kuma in the Tekken games.

Literally the only people who can appreciate Lucina's addition are her fans, and even then, not all of them are happy with her being a clone.

Also, am I the only one bothered by the fact that Lucina is getting a free pass on being a clone, with people saying she is "just fine", while people won't shut up about Toon Link, despite the fact Toon Link is a veteran (so his inclusion comes with little fanfare or attention from the developers), and even though he is quite a bit more differentiated from Link than Lucina is from Marth?

Granted, I wish Toon Link was more unique, but because he is a veteran, him still being a clone was no surprise. And he at least has some different moves, and his specials at least have very different properties, and has a vastly different size/hit box to Link. Lucina is barely any different.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
So... no one *****es about Lucina being a clone and is 100% okay with it. On the other hand, we have ToonLink and almost everyone ***** about him being just a semi-clone.

Canon-wise, she has a legit reason to be similar to Marth (I'm not going to explain since it's spoilers). Toon Link doesn't have a canonical reason since he has a wide assortment of gadget on his side of the Zelda series to make him distinguished from Link. And did we get a completely different moveset for him? More than likely not. Of course, there's always the customized moveset coming soon, so who really knows. Until it's released, that shouldn't be surprising.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Even with the identical strength, the movements are still different, such as the sidespecial, where she flashes more swipes an ends with multiple stabs. While it all leads to the same amount of damage, it seems it will play much different. Also with her recovery she appears to curve her sword back a bit more. I never could get the hang of Marth, but I think I'll be able to play as Lucina. Like I could play as Falco and not Fox. Overall I think she's a great newcomer.

Top Bottom