• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I'm not sure if you've got me correctly. That's what I'm saying, so the question would be, what makes Jade?
Again, I don't put that in inclusion calculation or think it should. Gender shouldn't be a ticket, the place goes for the best at it, male or female. Say we're looking for a tomb raider, then that's Lara. Say we're looking for a (realistic) ninja, that's Ryu.. and so on. Going through that line one would say, we need more robots, we need more animals.. etc. I don't think that's the way a fighter should be selected.

Yeah, I still haven't bought SFV. I'm willing to, I wish Hakan was there but that won't stop me. I'm not in a hurry though, Arcade edition now, not sure if more will be added soon or I should go for the hunt now :p

They do, mostly at the begining. Nice observation :)
I can see what you're saying it should based on the character being iconic enough, not just because of their gender or choice of weapon. Sorry I was super tired yesterday so I couldn't grasp it as much.

SFV is pretty fun, but I won't lie I think Tekken 7 is a little more fun. You never know they might add him as DLC, personally Im hoping they will add El Fuerte, Guy, and Gouken. I think waiting is wise Capcom has been known to release Utlra Hyper Super Infinite Arcade Street Fighter versions before ha.

Yeah its just a little observation I noticed.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
If they already have the Season 1 pass decided and asked us not to spam Sakurai right now, maybe that means around 2 or 3 in theyll launch another Fighter Ballot. Maybe. Hopefully.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Now that it’s known :ultroy: speaks English now (has his Heroes voice actor Ray Chase), alongside :ultmarth: and pretty much :ultzelda: getting in on the action, :ultcloud: is the only fighter to speak full sentences in Japanese for us Americans...he is a loner
I did not know Ray Chase would be voicing Roy in Smash. Thats amazing news he's a great VA.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
If they already have the Season 1 pass decided and asked us not to spam Sakurai right now, maybe that means around 2 or 3 in theyll launch another Fighter Ballot. Maybe. Hopefully.
Hell, I'll take even just 1/2 more characters determined by fan votes. Anything extra is amazing

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
JESSICA D:<
075.jpg

But seriously, she's my number one DQ want. She's probably pretty popular as far as DQ girls go, too.

That'd be great. From the way things look at the moment, it seems like the staff is ready to move on after this pass. Although it's likely they'll take year-long breaks between passes, so who knows.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Best timeline: Reveal all five of the fighter pack characters at the VGAs (bonus points is they just wnet and made nice photoshopped renders for each so they can get on the site, but their individual pages are placeholders since they won't have stages or in-game shots yet), and announce a ballot v.2. Second ballot could be linked through the Nintendo net ID, so only registered Nintendo users with a copy of Smash could vote (therefore no bots). Let's say we each get 5 votes.

At the end, they release a second pack of fighters, and a few popular echoes along the way.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Nice try, Sakurai literally said he was reluctant to put Corrin in, and people still chalked it up to Sakurai Bias(TM).
I posed this idea on the Isaac thread, and I suppose I'll post it here.

What if the entire list Sakurai was given by "Nintendo" is actually a list of "Corrins"?

By which I mean characters suggested by the Dev team, rather than a list that was entirely made up of "1. Corrin 2. Corrin 3. Corrin 4. Corrn 5. Corrin"

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I did not know Ray Chase would be voicing Roy in Smash. Thats amazing news he's a great VA.
Cannot imagine Roy speaking English after all these years. Be interesting.

Anyone know who voices Wolf?

osby

Smash Obsessed

What if the entire list Sakurai was given by "Nintendo" is actually a list of "Corrins"?

By which I mean characters suggested by the Dev team, rather than a list that was entirely made up of "1. Corrin 2. Corrin 3. Corrin 4. Corrn 5. Corrin"
I find it pretty unlikely, since Corrin's game was in a very specific time slot (released, just not internationally).

Ja Green.

Pakky

Smash Hero
:ultryu::Oh hi Zangief!

:ultincineroar:: Cat noises

:ultryu:: Ready for a great match?

:ultincineroar:: Roar!

:ultryu:: Gasp Shadowloo has cloned me!

:ultlucario:: Dog noises

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

It turns out the dev team has been playing a whole bunch of Fortnite.

I have a spirit idea

General Scales:
Character: King K. Rool

When the match starts K. Rool instantly dies and you have to survive a below average length Andross assist trophy.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I find it pretty unlikely, since Corrin's game was in a very specific time slot (released, just not internationally).
I think you misunderstood my point.

My point was that the characters Sakurai was posed was a selection of characters that the Dev team would like to make, not that the dev team were saying "Hey, we should make [insert 3rd party here] for marketing purposes!".

Which is how Corrin came to be, he happened to be in the right place and the right time: the Smash 4 DLC team had a DLC slot open, the dev team had a choice of two or three characters (Corrin being one of them) and they happened to ask Sakurai if they could make Corrin, to which Sakurai (reluctantly) gave the go-ahead.

Or at least that's how I remember it going down, Sakurai talked about it in a Famitsu Column, I think.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think you misunderstood my point.

My point was that the characters Sakurai was posed was a selection of characters that the Dev team would like to make, not that the dev team were saying "Hey, we should make [insert 3rd party here] for marketing purposes!".

Which is how Corrin came to be, he happened to be in the right place and the right time: the Smash 4 DLC team had a DLC slot open, the dev team had a choice of two or three characters (Corrin being one of them) and they happened to ask Sakurai if they could make Corrin, to which Sakurai (reluctantly) gave the go-ahead.

Or at least that's how I remember it going down, Sakurai talked about it in a Famitsu Column, I think.
Oh, okay, got it. Sakurai's wording make me think it wasn't development team made the decision, since they are mainly from Bandai-Namco, right?

"Nintendo" would imply characters were chosen by "higher ups", I think. This time, selecting itself was made by Sakurai, but I can see "can you do this character, they'd be cool" characters being in the list that was proposed to him.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
If we got a Second Fighter Pass, which characters do you all think would be in the pass?

I think characters like Crash, Rayman and Bandana Dee might have a higher chance if there was a second pass.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
Best timeline: Reveal all five of the fighter pack characters at the VGAs (bonus points is they just wnet and made nice photoshopped renders for each so they can get on the site, but their individual pages are placeholders since they won't have stages or in-game shots yet)
Sadly, I don't think that's possible. I'm like 99% sure one of the DLC characters will be a new gen 8 Pokemon. If the gen 8 game has not been revealed yet, I doubt they'd reveal a pokemon from it (Unless it's Melmetal).

Also they know character reveals cause a lot of hype so they'd probably want to spread them out. Probably we'll get one on each of the regular directs.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

If you need an idea of what he sounds like as Roy, here are some of his voice clips in Heroes. I time stamped it on Roy's section.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
If we got a Second Fighter Pass, which characters do you all think would be in the pass?

I think characters like Crash, Rayman and Bandana Dee might have a higher chance if there was a second pass.
I'm gonna be that guy and say they'll try to hit some requests they missed during the speculation period.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Jokes on you, I'm not American. :p

Though it's ironic, considering Cloud is one of the most popular FF characters among English-speaking fans.
Poor...blonde...foolish Cloud
Was confirmed through the many Smash Ultimate videos with bad quality, but it’s still great for all but Cloud to speak English

So...just all the Corrin alts from Heroes

Viridi...that is all
If you need an idea of what he sounds like as Roy, here are some of his voice clips in Heroes. I time stamped it on Roy's section.
Some of these lines, especially the “cannot lose” one needs to be said in Smash

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Oh, okay, got it. Sakurai's wording make me think it wasn't development team made the decision, since they are mainly from Bandai-Namco, right?

"Nintendo" would imply characters were chosen by "higher ups", I think. This time, selecting itself was made by Sakurai, but I can see "can you do this character, they'd be cool" characters being in the list that was proposed to him.
I think all Sakurai said was that Nintendo presented him with a list of characters and he decided whether or not he could make them work. Not sure if he actually chose the ones who would be DLC, or if he just said, "These are who I think I'd be able to add. Which ones do you want?"

I'd expect a bigger emphasis on new and promotional characters. Rex would definitely get in if there were a second pass.

D

Deleted member

It turns out the dev team has been playing a whole bunch of Fortnite.
“We’ve put a lot of care into replicating the Fortniter’s iconic dances. For their down-taunt, the Fortniter dabs. This has a hitbox and does a bit of damage if you get too close. Be careful!”

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

S h a n t a e

Well, apart from her, I could see an ARMS character and one of the Kongs, maybe even a Kirby character that recently appeared in Star Allies (*cough*checksig*cough*).

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I can see what you're saying it should based on the character being iconic enough, not just because of their gender or choice of weapon. Sorry I was super tired yesterday so I couldn't grasp it as much.

SFV is pretty fun, but I won't lie I think Tekken 7 is a little more fun. You never know they might add him as DLC, personally Im hoping they will add El Fuerte, Guy, and Gouken. I think waiting is wise Capcom has been known to release Utlra Hyper Super Infinite Arcade Street Fighter versions before ha.

Yeah its just a little observation I noticed.
Don't worry about it. I too was extremely tired XD

I haven't played a Tekken game in a loooong time. I couldn't get into it because Tekken fighters always felt hollow. You don't feel that impact when a hit lands. That's just my opinion however.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I keep hearing Noctis, but a less serious Noctis. It still sounds good though, I know Ray Chase has expressed excitement in voicing Roy. So it will be interesting to see his work in Smash Ultimate.

I'm gonna be that guy and say they'll try to hit some requests they missed during the speculation period.
Agree I think if Rayman is not one of the 5 DLC characters of the 1st fighter pass, he would most likely be added in the second (if there is one).

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Probably some characters that were in the Grinch leak. More specifically, Banjo, Geno and Mach Rider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom