• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh, okay, got it. Sakurai's wording make me think it wasn't development team made the decision, since they are mainly from Bandai-Namco, right?

"Nintendo" would imply characters were chosen by "higher ups", I think. This time, selecting itself was made by Sakurai, but I can see "can you do this character, they'd be cool" characters being in the list that was proposed to him.
Well, "Nintendo" has the obvious connotation of being the higher ups.

Reggie: "Hey, Sakurai. Could you add Waluigi as a fighter? He'd be pretty cool."
Sakurai: "Ugghhhh..."

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of "that'd be pretty neat" characters in that list. :laugh:

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Well, "Nintendo" has the obvious connotation of being the higher ups.

Reggie: "Hey, Sakurai. Could you add Waluigi as a fighter? He'd be pretty cool."
Sakurai: "Ugghhhh..."

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of "that'd be pretty neat" characters in that list. :laugh:
If that happened i'd feel bad for Sakurai because obviously he must've noticed the cruel things some Waluigi "fans" said.
But on the other hand it'd mean Waluigi was in and i'd be so happy.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Y'know, we never have that much memes in regards of FFA casual play, let's add that!
Edit: This happens to me quite often when I played locals for the first time.

Casual Play meme.jpg

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
All right, lengthy post, but these are what I consider to have the highest chance of being the DLC characters, based on what I think Nintendo would select for Sakurai.

1. Fire Emblem character

Come on, you all should know already how much this series loves this franchise. Now as for who, I have 3 theoretical characters:

-Azura

Wether you like it or hate it, Fates is the best selling game of the franchise, and along Awakening, has the most exposure. Azura is the deuteragonist of the game, so I could see her getting her way in. That said, she’s the one I would expect the least for a couple of reasons, first being that by this point, a following game in her series was released and a new one has been shown and scheduled for release in just two months, so she’s not so relevant. And second, she’s shown in the website to be a spirit, which I am not 100% sure it can deconfirm anyone since she’s not a “Fighter Spirit” but I’ll keep it in mind.

-Alm &/or Celica

The two of them are relevant due to the latest game yet before Three Houses being a remake from theirs, not just that, but Celica is particularly popular out of the two and having a decent fanbase that want her in (including me). Of course, popularity isn’t everything when it comes to Smash, but with Ultimate being meant to be fanservice: the game, and K. Rool and Ridley being included because of that, can see one of two being one of the selections Nintendo made. Should be noted both are a single spirit as children tho, but like Azura, not sure if 100% deconfirmation.

-Three Houses MC

The most likely in my opinion. I don’t see Nintendo in any way not using Ultimate to promote new games that have been scheduled for release recently. Not just that, Smash has had a history of pulling a FE MC to promote the most recent game at the time, it happened with Roy, with Ike and then Corrin. Many people have been calling on Edelgard, but...I think they’ll pick blue haired protagonist over her.

2. Octolings

This is a pretty obvious one and I am surprised that they aren’t in the base game as Echo Fighters. Splatoon is easily the most popular recent IP that Nintendo has had in years and is obvious it’s gonna continue being one of their main franchises for a while. So, why not include a second representative in the form of the Inklings worst enemies?

Well, I guess that because the draft for Ultimate was done by the time the first game was the one being played and the Octo Expansion didn’t exist, maybe Sakurai didn’t see them as a worthy addition. But now they have exploded in popularity thanks to the Octo Expansion, so I can see Nintendo’s marketing department wanting them in, even if they’re shown as a spirit, which again, not sure if 100% deconfirmation.

3. A third party character

Could be one, could be two, but I can see that one of the third parties involved would want a bigger piece of the cake. Heihachi is a popular option, moreso since Sakurai actually considered him for 3DS/Wii U and Namco hasn’t been shy in lending their properties as co-developers of the game. But Heihachi is still just one of multiple possibilities. I can see for example Jeanne being made a fighter to promote Bayonetta 3 (and yes, once again, I know she’s a spirit) or perhaps, who knows, Noctis due to how SE still loves milking his game to death asking Nintendo to be a selection.

3. Bandana Waddle Dee

Okay, okay, so...This one is actually a more personally wanted from mine. I know many people are asking for Marx and Magolor, and that’s okay, they do have a shot. But Bandana Waddle Dee is simply more prominent than them, and I have a feeling that’s partly what Nintendo would want when selecting characters, that they would be prominent.

Bandana Dee by this point, has become a staple and a main character for the Kirby franchise, appearing in multiple games often in an important role to help Kirby, not to mention he’s a highly requested and recognizable character that is easily marketable. Can see Nintendo placing him on the suggestions with little to no doubt.

5. Xenoblade character

I’ll be honest here, I barely know anything about Xenoblade. Would buy the first one if I had any money...Or the 3DS port if mine wasn’t an original model 3DS...But back to topic, following Splatoon, it seems to be the second most succesful recent IP Nintendo has had, and Sakurai was well aware that Rex was a highly requested character, so must Nintendo too. Xenoblade 2 was a commercial success, so a new one could be in the works as we speak.

The way I see it, we could have Fiora (Chrom is still in Robin’s FS, so saying a character is deconfirmed because of that is out the window), Elma (unlikely since X has lost relevancy), Sakurai changes his mind about Rex, or a new entry gets announced and its new MC is included.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
If that happened i'd feel bad for Sakurai because obviously he must've noticed the cruel things some Waluigi "fans" said.
But on the other hand it'd mean Waluigi was in and i'd be so happy.
Reggie: "Gee, that Skull Kid. He's quite the card, isn't he, Mr. Sakurai?"
Sakurai: "Please go back to America, Mr. Fils-Aimé."

NineS

Smash Lord
Reggie: "Gee, that Skull Kid. He's quite the card, isn't he, Mr. Sakurai?"
Sakurai: "Please go back to America, Mr. Fils-Aimé."
Reggie: "So, Mr. Sakurai, how about you put me in? If you do, Mother 3 re-releases on the Switch worldwide! Make my tagline 'taking names and kicking ass'!"
Sakurai: "I already know the odds of you doing that with Mother 3 are lower than the odds of me ever putting popular western picks like 'Shrek' in Smash. So please, do not do this to me."

D

Deleted member

So it continues the tradition of being "The Game Advertisements"
Sense the award part of the show always has been and always will be pointless, they should just drop the awards completely, and rename the show to E4.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Reggie: "So, Mr. Sakurai, how about you put me in? If you do, Mother 3 re-releases on the Switch worldwide! Make my tagline 'taking names and kicking ***'!"
Sakurai: "I already know the odds of you doing that with Mother 3 are lower than the odds of me ever putting popular western picks like 'Shrek' in Smash. So please, do not do this to me."
Miyamoto: "You know, Mr. Sakurai, I really like Monty Mole."
Reggie: "Yeah, that's a pretty good idea."
Sakurai: "Please let me work..."
Sense the award part of the show always has been and always will be pointless, they should just drop the awards completely, and rename the show to E4.
Extra Electronic Entertainment Expo?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Maybe it's just seeing Idon constantly but it's possible SMT content may be planned considering the fifth title is supposed to release next year.

Very excited.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All right, lengthy post, but these are what I consider to have the highest chance of being the DLC characters, based on what I think Nintendo would select for Sakurai.

1. Fire Emblem character

Come on, you all should know already how much this series loves this franchise. Now as for who, I have 3 theoretical characters:

-Azura

Wether you like it or hate it, Fates is the best selling game of the franchise, and along Awakening, has the most exposure. Azura is the deuteragonist of the game, so I could see her getting her way in. That said, she’s the one I would expect the least for a couple of reasons, first being that by this point, a following game in her series was released and a new one has been shown and scheduled for release in just two months, so she’s not so relevant. And second, she’s shown in the website to be a spirit, which I am not 100% sure it can deconfirm anyone since she’s not a “Fighter Spirit” but I’ll keep it in mind.

-Alm &/or Celica

The two of them are relevant due to the latest game yet before Three Houses being a remake from theirs, not just that, but Celica is particularly popular out of the two and having a decent fanbase that want her in (including me). Of course, popularity isn’t everything when it comes to Smash, but with Ultimate being meant to be fanservice: the game, and K. Rool and Ridley being included because of that, can see one of two being one of the selections Nintendo made. Should be noted both are a single spirit as children tho, but like Azura, not sure if 100% deconfirmation.

-Three Houses MC

The most likely in my opinion. I don’t see Nintendo in any way not using Ultimate to promote new games that have been scheduled for release recently. Not just that, Smash has had a history of pulling a FE MC to promote the most recent game at the time, it happened with Roy, with Ike and then Corrin. Many people have been calling on Edelgard, but...I think they’ll pick blue haired protagonist over her.

2. Octolings

This is a pretty obvious one and I am surprised that they aren’t in the base game as Echo Fighters. Splatoon is easily the most popular recent IP that Nintendo has had in years and is obvious it’s gonna continue being one of their main franchises for a while. So, why not include a second representative in the form of the Inklings worst enemies?

Well, I guess that because the draft for Ultimate was done by the time the first game was the one being played and the Octo Expansion didn’t exist, maybe Sakurai didn’t see them as a worthy addition. But now they have exploded in popularity thanks to the Octo Expansion, so I can see Nintendo’s marketing department wanting them in, even if they’re shown as a spirit, which again, not sure if 100% deconfirmation.

Could be one, could be two, but I can see that one of the third parties involved would want a bigger piece of the cake. Heihachi is a popular option, moreso since Sakurai actually considered him for 3DS/Wii U and Namco hasn’t been shy in lending their properties as co-developers of the game. But Heihachi is still just one of multiple possibilities. I can see for example Jeanne being made a fighter to promote Bayonetta 3 (and yes, once again, I know she’s a spirit) or perhaps, who knows, Noctis due to how SE still loves milking his game to death asking Nintendo to be a selection.

3. Bandana Waddle Dee

Okay, okay, so...This one is actually a more personally wanted from mine. I know many people are asking for Marx and Magolor, and that’s okay, they do have a shot. But Bandana Waddle Dee is simply more prominent than them, and I have a feeling that’s partly what Nintendo would want when selecting characters, that they would be prominent.

Bandana Dee by this point, has become a staple and a main character for the Kirby franchise, appearing in multiple games often in an important role to help Kirby, not to mention he’s a highly requested and recognizable character that is easily marketable. Can see Nintendo placing him on the suggestions with little to no doubt.

5. Xenoblade character

I’ll be honest here, I barely know anything about Xenoblade. Would buy the first one if I had any money...Or the 3DS port if mine wasn’t an original model 3DS...But back to topic, following Splatoon, it seems to be the second most succesful recent IP Nintendo has had, and Sakurai was well aware that Rex was a highly requested character, so must Nintendo too. Xenoblade 2 was a commercial success, so a new one could be in the works as we speak.

The way I see it, we could have Fiora (Chrom is still in Robin’s FS, so saying a character is deconfirmed because of that is out the window), Elma (unlikely since X has lost relevancy), Sakurai changes his mind about Rex, or a new entry gets announced and its new MC is included.
Honestly, a Three Houses character is the only FE rep who I think would have a chance for DLC. The 3DS is dying, and I don't think there's much they could benefit from if they included someone from Fates or SoV (or any 3DS game from before 2018 for that matter).

And maybe this is just my bias talking, but I'd put a BotW Champion or a Gen VII rep in place of the Octolings. Even though Splatoon 2 is definitely a game they'd want to promote, I feel like the Inklings themselves being newcomers already accomplish that goal.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

1. Fire Emblem character

-Azura

-Alm &/or Celica

-Three Houses MC

2. Octolings

3. Bandana Waddle Dee

5. Xenoblade character

I still think it’d be Edelgard. They should notice how much people like her already and how the Smash community is annoyed by sword users, especially from Fire Emblem.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Reggie: "So, Mr. Sakurai, how about you put me in? If you do, Mother 3 re-releases on the Switch worldwide! Make my tagline 'taking names and kicking ***'!"
Reggie just keeps coming back to Japan talking about smash but actually he just likes being with him

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Maybe it's just seeing Idon constantly but it's possible SMT content may be planned considering the fifth title is supposed to release next year.

Very excited.
Supposed to.
We don't got a solid release date.

Wouldn't surprise me if it released in 2020 or 2021.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I still think it’d be Edelgard. They should notice how much people like her already and how the Smash community is annoyed by sword users, especially from Fire Emblem.
Oh believe me, people will complain about FE characters no matter what weapon they wield. Swords are just another excuse to complain about them.

D

Deleted member

I thought that the the game awards last year were really entertaining (albeit too many literal ads). Granted, most of the humour was probably unintentional/not planned, but regardless I think Geoff handled it alright.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
mine is better
i haven't added the boys from the blog post yet, but oh my god does this get incredibly terrible looking the farther you scroll down. does the person who made this know you can put images into cells

D

Deleted member

Superman and the Fantastic Four in Smash would break the internet more than Goku getting in.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Don't worry about it. I too was extremely tired XD

I haven't played a Tekken game in a loooong time. I couldn't get into it because Tekken fighters always felt hollow. You don't feel that impact when a hit lands. That's just my opinion however.
The new Tekken is pretty fun, but I get you. Its a different style of a fighter compared to street fighter. Im still hoping they will do a Tekken X Street Fighter someday.

So my friend, if you had to predict all 5DLC characters what would they be and why? In fact lets do a more in depth prediction. Each of us should try to predict all 5 DLC characters, explain why we think those characters. And then predict the stage they would come with and one piece of music that they would come with.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Wait, it's been confirmed that Roy is dubbed now? Sweet! I was hoping to hear Ray Chase in Smash.

Speaking of voices, the voice work in this game is pretty great. The Voice Actors and Seiyuus went all out on this one, and it shows.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
mine is better
i haven't added the boys from the blog post yet, but oh my god does this get incredibly terrible looking the farther you scroll down. does the person who made this know you can put images into cells
Maybe... But let's not be crudheads about it....
Wait, it's been confirmed that Roy is dubbed now? Sweet! I was hoping to hear Ray Chase in Smash.

Speaking of voices, the voice work in this game is pretty great. The Voice Actors and Seiyuus went all out on this one, and it shows.
It's gonna take a bit for me to get used to Marth's English voice though...

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
We need a list of upcoming releases, trademark renewals, and theoretical releases so we can pin down all sorts of games Nintendo would want to promote.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yes! I’m not alone on this train!

It’s ok, I preordered it ages ago. The dumbing down of the mechanics hurst a lot, so it’ll be tough.

But on the other hand, rideable Arcanine. Oh, and Kanto on the big screen.

I hope it’s pretty much yellow otherwise, since I need my Smash team :007::006::002: and I’ll take :025::059::150: to round it off.
You're my inspiration man

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It always kinda bothers me when some people toss Celica aside "because swords." Warriors aside, where she was a last minute clone, Celica has always been magic first, sword second.

That and it's also a personal qualm when others say Robin fully represents Fire Emblem magic in Smash when Robin only uses tomes in his specials and jab, with swordplay taking up the bulk of his moveset.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I thought that the the game awards last year were really entertaining (albeit too many literal ads). Granted, most of the humour was probably unintentional/not planned, but regardless I think Geoff handled it alright.
I forget. Is the game awards something streamed? Or is it watched on that old fashioned tv thing? What channel is it on? Spike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom