• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Change of pace: favorite songs in Smash Bros? Off the top of my head the Melee version of Brinstar Depths and Tetris Type A are first to come to mind (I don't know what we did to deserve the awesome remix for the latter)
Brawl Final Destination music, Stickerbrush Symphony, Brinstar Depths (Brawl), Ice Climbers, Destroyed Skyworld, Open Your Heart, Let's Dance Boys, Vega Stage, Engage the Enemy, Calling to the Night... too much to list, these are the top ten.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
:ultkrool: hands down. Him being added was simply a miracle. I saw us getting Ridley and every other character way before King K. He even puts off that look like he may have been left to die similar to Wart.

I'm glad they realized a treasure was thrown in the trash, because I grew up with this boss. Mario 64 was too hard for me so I never made it to Bowser. DKC was just right difficulty wise. K. Rool was that wacky crocodile who I never even thought of being in Smash until I saw his trophy in Melee.

A red flag has been up in my head ever since. I'm glad he is here. I am very thankful. Sometimes I still can't believe it, but here we are. Regardless of who else we get, he will remain my most hyped. Besides, I doubt the only other character to equal his hype for me would make it in....Crash Bandicoot..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Vergeben is Dark Helmet's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The only problem that i may have with the FE reps in Smash may be the fact that the Smash roster is better than the one in FE Warriors.
I'll never understand the people who say this.

Of the ones in Smash, literally only Ike and Roy are missing. In their place you have...

Caeda, Tiki, Minerva, Navarre, Linde, Celica, Lyn, Frederick, Lissa, Cordelia, Owain, Olivia, Tharja, Azura, Ryoma, Hinoka, Takumi, Sakura, Xander, Camilla, Leo, Elise, Oboro, Niles, and Anna.

Fire Emblem Warriors had its own roster issues, namely putting way too many Fates characters and way too few Archanea characters, but to say Smash has a better Fire Emblem roster is downright absurd.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Nobody seems to care for :ultdaisy: and :ultdarksamus:...oof
I love Daisy, she's my new favorite Mario rep since she's, well, my favorite Mario character, but I love Chrom so much and it's just so cool and amazing that he basically foreshadowed that he would come playable one day and it happened, plus he's my main's father, has a consistent blade, has an entirely different up-B from his base fighter, etc. Basically, it's because he's Chrom.

D

Deleted member

Of the ones in Smash, literally only Ike and Roy are missing. In their place you have...

Caeda, Tiki, Minerva, Navarre, Linde, Celica, Lyn, Frederick, Lissa, Cordelia, Owain, Olivia, Tharja, Azura, Ryoma, Hinoka, Takumi, Sakura, Xander, Camilla, Leo, Elise, Oboro, Niles, and Anna.

Fire Emblem Warriors had its own roster issues, namely putting way too many Fates characters and way too few Archanea characters, but to say Smash has a better Fire Emblem roster is downright absurd.
It's because Smash has Ike and Warriors doesn't I guess.

D

Deleted member

Smash has the most important characters of their respective games (the lords).

The base game needed to include every lord, and not a lock to some characters in the story.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Damn, some people still defending Nintendo/Sakurai against their horrible job at marketing.

This forum is an echo chamber at its best.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Change of pace: favorite songs in Smash Bros? Off the top of my head the Melee version of Brinstar Depths and Tetris Type A are first to come to mind (I don't know what we did to deserve the awesome remix for the latter)
Super Mario Land Underground Theme, Castle/Fortress Boss (SMW/SMB3), Melee Temple Theme, Tal Tal Heights, Metroid Prime Opening/Main Menu, Ridley Battle, Gourmet Race, Marx Theme, 02 Theme, Corneria (Brawl), With Mila's Divine Protection, Mute City, Fire Field, Unfounded Revenge/Song of Smashing Praise, Brawl's Intro, Final Destination (Brawl), Tabuu's Theme.

Crap that's almost all from Brawl

Brawl's soundtrack was too good. But this game is packing some goddamn HEAT with its original arrangements so far. Gangplank Galleon is one of the best things I've heard in a long time.

D

Deleted member

Damn, some people still defending Nintendo/Sakurai against their horrible job at marketing.

Although it isn't a great marketing, it is better than the one done by Xbox in Spain...

But that thing is too close to nothing, so whatever.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The only problem that i may have with the FE reps in Smash may be the fact that the Smash roster is better than the one in FE Warriors.

That game should have used the FE characters in Smash at worst.
To be fair, they might have been iffy on putting Roy in. Smash is the only reason why people like him.

D

Deleted member

As much as I hate FEW's roster, even I believe it's far better than what Smash has. Like, I literally only care for Robin as a character out of the entire Smash FE roster while the rest that I do play are purely for their movesets.
just give me hector and ill be satisfied tho

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Poke Floats. It just works so well as a medley. Melee's OST in general has aged like fine wine.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
I'm super biased to the beauty of the NES Classic characters, and Simon was THE character that was missing for me to be happy. I love how they made him such a 1:1 iteration of his NES self in his movement and animations, I love it.

And of course, we also now have amazing Castlevania remixes in the game, and that's a 10/10 in my eyes.

Captain N Reunion hype

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Smash has the most important characters of their respective games (the lords).

The base game needed to include every lord, and not a lock to some characters in the story.
The games themselves are far more than just their lords though.

I myself am lucky enough that my three favorite lords made it into Warriors (:ultchrom:,
image.png
, :ultmarth:), but if it were only the lords it would be "Swords: The Game feat. Hector, Ephraim, and Micaiah." Look at how many classes are missing in the Smash roster. Yeah, Warriors missed out on thieves, knights, and lance cavaliers, but at least it has things like full mages, Pegasus Knights, Archers, and Paladins. That and the game actually gives fuller representation as a whole.

Case in point? Look at Marth. If you looked at only Smash you'd think he was the only thing that existed in Archanea. No Archanea stages, no Archanea trophies, a grand total of four songs (two of which reoccur outside of Archanea, and two medleys). But Warriors? Six playable characters, tons of love in the story, tons of support callbacks and name drops, a great selection of Archanea-specific music, and Gharnef as a boss. And among the three major games represented in Warriors? It got the SHORT end of the stick (seriously where are Merric and Ogma).

That's one of my big sticking points with Smash. Yeah, Fire Emblem has a lot of characters on Smash's roster, but it is sorely lacking in other areas where Warriors is clearly superior, including the roster itself.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'll do one from each title to make it somewhat fair.

64 - Meta Crystal (Metal Cavern)
Melee - Break the Targets
Brawl - Shin Onigashima Medley
Smash 4 - Light Plane (Vocal Mix)
Ultimate (thus far) - Brinstar Depths

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Opossum Opossum and @JDCabrera...both Smash and Warriors represents FE badly due to the lack of Lyn being the main hero and the lack of 9000 Lyns
I care for Dark Samus.
Show it then
@Mrs.Milky cares for Daisy. :(
Daisy milk
I prefer both to their counterparts but when compared to the rest of the newcomers it's hard to justify a vote for either *shrug*
But...ginger and not black Samus
Not sure about Daisy, but it's a bit difficult for Dark Samus as Ridley is both more popular aswell as being a unique newcomer, so Metroid fans will mostly gravitate towards him. I think that with a lot of Ridley fans Dark Samus is still high up on their list though.
True point there
I care for both. As far as favorite newcomers go, they hold spots 2~4 with :ultrichter:.
Good enough
I care for them. But we can only vote for one in this case. And Ridley is the one that excites me the most currently.
Cheat the system
I love Daisy, she's my new favorite Mario rep since she's, well, my favorite Mario character, but I love Chrom so much and it's just so cool and amazing that he basically foreshadowed that he would come playable one day and it happened, plus he's my main's father, has a consistent blade, has an entirely different up-B from his base fighter, etc. Basically, it's because he's Chrom.
A3690DD1-E5DD-4DCB-9624-787C2B92BBEC.jpeg

@Connorb0t2 in the Shantae thread, who's made me feel unwelcome, disturbed, and quite frightened.

Please help?
He just wants life to be perfectly balanced...as all things should be

D

Deleted member

It's almost as if people have differing opinions on things.

Also, why on earth would you blame Sakurai for the marketing? Man has absolutely no control over that. He directs the game, it's Nintendo's marketing teams that decide how to market it. Sakurai is not responsible for every single tiny thing about Smash. Nintendo is a big company, different divisions handle different things.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Horrible job at marketing = One and a half months of no new info?

How about a hobby, guys. A social life, anything.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Honestly what piss me off for the FEW is that, other than the obvious roster problem (I ****ing hate fate because of that) it also had the worst DLC management where they could have expanded on other games.

Oh and also the fact that it's trying to challenge Smash for the number of clone.

It's ****ing sad when you compare Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warrior... FE warrior comes out as a shovelware

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

It might just be me but I felt the majority of this thread felt they screwed up on marketing. So idk what you mean...

I stand by what I said in that their marketing has been superior to the majority of triple A releases, but is subpar compared to past Smash games. Which is the fault of Nintendo/Sakurai (mostly Sakurai) for setting expectations so high with the last games pre-releases. Again though I think the general marketing is fine, many casuals are very excited for the game. Marketing has just not met hardcore Smash fan expectations (namely the blog).

Black Magician

Smash Apprentice
It might just be me but I felt the majority of this thread felt they screwed up on marketing. So idk what you mean...

I stand by what I said in that their marketing has been superior to the majority of triple A releases, but is subpar compared to past Smash games. Which is the fault of Nintendo/Sakurai (mostly Sakurai) for setting expectations so high with the last games pre-releases. Again though I think the general marketing is fine, many casuals are very excited for the game. Marketing has just not met hardcore Smash fan expectations (namely the blog).
Yeah, a new trailer every couple of months is about what I'd expect from the industry, and these Ultimate trailers have so much more info than any other game could reasonably expect. But it's still not a patch on Brawl's Dojo. Sakurai really spoiled us with that one.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
What's this forum at its worst?
Box Theory "discussions"

Opossum Opossum and @JDCabrera...both Smash and Warriors represents FE badly due to the lack of Lyn being the main hero and the lack of 9000 Lyns
This man truly understands Fire Emblem

64 - Saffron City (Pokemon Theme)
Melee - Yoshi's Island
Brawl - Tie between Meta Knight's Revenge, Battlefield, and Final Destination
Smash 4 - Tie between Light Plane (Vocal Mix) and Id Purpose
Ultimate - Gangplank Galleon (Brinstar Depths is a close second)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly what piss me off for the FEW is that, other than the obvious roster problem (I ****ing hate fate because of that) it also had the worst DLC management where they could have expanded on other games.

Oh and also the fact that it's trying to challenge Smash for the number of clone.

It's ****ing sad when you compare Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warrior... FE warrior comes out as a shovelware
Zelda has very few notable characters. It made more sense for it to go beyond the three games approach. Meanwhile those three Fire Emblem games had a lot more characters to draw from, so it made sense to keep it contained. They're two separate beasts.

I'd take Minerva and Owain over Ike, Roy, and Seliph any day of the week.

Though to bring this back to Smash, I hope they use Warriors' models to make more Fire Emblem trophies. The fact that Caeda is as important as she is and hasn't yet had a trophy is a crime.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Horrible job at marketing = One and a half months of no new info?

How about a hobby, guys. A social life, anything.
Huh? i wouldnt mind spending 2 years without info. I wouldnt mind if they delay the game 1 year, a game would have no impact with my life.

The core of the problem relies on how they approach their games which ive always been against nintendo and im not blaming Sakurai himself, thats why i said "nintendo" or who ever is in charge of the marketing.

Who is your target audience? How are you keeping your audience engaged? Which is your plan to keep your product relevant? Whats new on the table for someone who has never played a smash game and wants to get into the series? What about the hardcore competitive? etc etc etc. Theres no roadmap about smash development, theres no solid evidence besides some ambiguous tidbits (at least to the public) and their communication is so vertical.

The product, as usual by nintendo is held as a laaaaarge mistery and theyll do whatever they want because at the end people will just buy their things blindly. Any other FG or major game will get bashed to oblivion with this sort of mistery.

But at the end, the money talks and if people keeps buying their games, giving them a "check" for whatever they do, heck why would they change if they still sell?

Just go check how other companies handles their PR, their CM and youll see how Nintendo is years behind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom