• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Unironcially I believe this one more than the garbage I've seen just based on Jeanne being here as well.

No one mentions her even though she like Rodin and Ken are in Smash 4 as trophies.
Because Bayonetta still has her Jeanne alt which is pretty much a soft deconfirm when Samus and Ike had their Dark Samus & Chrom-based alts removed to avoid confusion.

And plus if SEGA were given an option to add a new rep from either of their series in Smash they’d pick Sonic without hesitation.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think I voted for Paper Mario in the ballot? Or Banjo, or Geno. I don't remember, but it was one of those three.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Are there any characters that if they get in you'll be set for life? (or at least one Smash cycle)

Honestly if I can get Rex/Pyra/Mythra in DLC for Ultimate or even just Elma I will be set. I don't think we need 3 reps from Xenoblade. (even though I would love it lol) unless the next XC comes out before the next Smash and is absurdly popular. I'll still push for Rex in the next game if just Elma gets into Ultimate but I won't be upset at all if he doesn't get in :)
I've pretty much been set for life when I got Ike in Brawl and Robin in Smash 4. Funnily enough I don't even main the latter but he was pretty much the character I was most invested in seeing in Smash just to see something different from Fire Emblem (and also because I didn't want Ike to be cut).

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Speaking of the Smash ballot, what do people reckon the top ten was? We'll probably never find out, but it's fun to speculate anyway.

PS Am including characters that never stood a chance like Spongebob

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Anyone else hope just some random character is added just to throw off speculation? Like think about it: a direct starts, the cross-flairs open, everyone is expecting Ken or Incineroar or Geno, and then BAM! Karate Joe as an Elma echo or some wacky **** like that
I want them to do that with a Quote reveal. So many of the reactions would be like "Who!?!?" And I would be going all crazy and insane in my tiny little corner. XD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of the Smash ballot, what do people reckon the top ten was? We'll probably never find out, but it's fun to speculate anyway.
In no particular order:
Bayo
Ridley
K.Rool
Isaac
Geno
BWD (maybe)
Isabelle
Inkling
Cloud
Ryu (or maybe Heihachi)

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm playing Boxxle, some weeks ago I finished Boxxle 1, now I'm at world 9 of Boxxle 2 almost finished.
I think it would have been relevant, since it's about boxes.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Something in my head told me to vote for Amy Rose, and...she's okay at least. I also voted for Zero, and at least we know he's in, although I would have loved to play him.

D

Deleted member

The perfect WTF rep should be someone that literally nobody expects. Something that anyone, even people outside of gaming, see and react to by saying how little they expected it.

Because of this, any character that we mention here can't be the perfect WTF rep: it needs to be something shocking and obscure in regards to demand.

D

Deleted member

Goku
Son Goku
Kakarot
The main guy from Dragon Ball
Goku (SSJ)
Bardock's son
Gohan's father
Goten's father
Goku (Yuyuki)
Shrek

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The perfect WTF rep should be someone that literally nobody expects. Something that anyone, even people outside of gaming, see and react to by saying how little they expected it.

Because of this, any character that we mention here can't be the perfect WTF rep: it needs to be something shocking and obscure in regards to demand.
AKINATOR guesses into battle!

Goku
Son Goku
Kakarot
The main guy from Dragon Ball
Goku (SSJ)
Bardock's son
Gohan's father
Goten's father
Goku (Yuyuki)
Shrek
wheres boruto's dad

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In no particular order:
Bayo
Ridley
K.Rool
Isaac
Geno
BWD (maybe)
Isabelle
Inkling
Cloud
Ryu (or maybe Heihachi)
No way Ryu could've made top 10. He was announced less than two months after the ballot began.

And if we're looking at vets too, I'd say neither Cloud or Bayo were top 10 either. Maybe top 20.

Like WFT? I liked her, but apparently everyone else saw her differently.

Those WTF characters are great and all, but I feel like they're almost destined to be hated by the fans for not being that one popular character they wanted so badly.

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
So if we don’t go in particular order then I’d say the top votes would beee

1) Ridley
2) King K. Rool
3) Bayonetta
4) Geno
5) Shovel Knight
6) Inkling
7) Isaac
8) Skull Kid (Majora 3D was recent at time so could have influenced more votes)
9) Banjo Kazooie
10) Shantae

D

Deleted member

No way Ryu could've made top 10. He was announced less than two months after the ballot began.

And we're looking at vets too, I'd say neither Cloud or Bayo were top 10 either. Maybe top 20.

Like WFT? I liked her, but apparently everyone else saw her differently.

Those WTF characters are great and all, but I feel like they're almost destined to be hated by the fans for not being that one popular character they wanted so badly.
I like Wii Fit Trainer.
But yeah, she wasn't expected by anyone.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
So if we don’t go in particular order then I’d say the top votes would beee

1) Ridley
2) King K. Rool
3) Bayonetta
4) Geno
5) Shovel Knight
6) Inkling
7) Isaac
8) Skull Kid (Majora 3D was recent at time so could have influenced more votes)
9) Banjo Kazooie
10) Shantae
EDIT: Forgot about vets. I guess this would be top ten not including vets. If included then we’d definitely see Wolf on there, maybe even Snake too.

DOUBLE EDIT: I’m an idiot I replied instead of editing. Shoot.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

PS Am including characters that never stood a chance like Spongebob
Snake, King K.Rool, Bayonetta, Ridley, Isaac, Inkling, Waluigi, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie

Real winner was Goku though, let's face it.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Snake, King K.Rool, Bayonetta, Ridley, Isaac, Inkling, Waluigi, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie

And it would have made me pretty hype if he actually made it in.

EDIT: Thanks mods

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

He would have been disqualified for not even being a video game character so votes for him would have been discarded. He was never going to be the "real winner".

SonicMario

Smash Master
I voted for Tails of course, was satisfied he at least got a Mii costume in the end for Smash 4. (I knew he was a long shot back then.)

Might be even more satisfied now that we know the Mii costumes may mean something eventually. I somehow doubt the background cameo (And assumingly the Mii costume returning) is all Tails is going to get for the entirety of Ultimate's lifetime if characters like Knuckles and Zero got upgrades. Even if Tails is another Sonic series assist, I'll of course be sad about it for a moment. But if they have an awesome function for Tails as another Assist. I'd gladly take it. (My guess would be he'd be a one time savior for someone who would of been KOed at that moment had they not summoned Tails but instead is carried back onto the stage by Tails)

But I'd much rather he just be a cameo (With Mii costume returning still there as a holdover) since I have no confidence in Tails' chances for base game, and Tails still have a shot for DLC

osby

Smash Obsessed
He would have been disqualified for not even being a video game character so votes for him would have been discarded. He was never going to be the "real winner".
My joke aside, there was never going to be a "real winner". It was clear Smash Ballot was a suggestion box, not a democratic election.

That's why it's so ridiculous so many people turned it into a giant pissing contest, even though there wasn't even a limit on how many votes one can use.

EDIT: Okay, this was a bit harsh, but I'm not fond of the speculation the ballot created.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Here is the problem, the comparisson most of you have done is with previous smashes. I mean obviously thats the "reference" we got but ill handle you some example of devs that have set the bar on how to handle big titles with "good" marketing (in marketing i also include communication): CDPR, Riot (debatable), Jagex, Blizzard (except hearthstone). Now if you see theres a pattern, all of these are "western" which my critique is also aimed at them.

What saves Nintendo is that their product GENERALLY is good even excelent so they dont really need to push their marketing to modern standards. But my critique was aimed at if Nintendo updated the way they handle communication it would be very good for us as customers but anyway this thread is about smash so, back to it.
I'm not sure what you mean by communication. I admit I don't follow a lot of other video game companies enough to know what you mean. Just that Nintendo gave more frequent updates on their games? In which case you mean you have an issue with how Nintendo markets, not just Smash?

Which I totally get, they have a style of surprises that they like to commit to. But then yea that's not a Smash specific problem...am I misunderstanding?

Also I appreciate your commitment to wanting to stay in topic with Smash :)
Wait why do people care about the marketing. Are you guys shareholders in Nintendo or something?
No, not speaking in specifics but generally from what I've seen with this thread it's people being bored and dissapointed with how the blog is run. Not really marketing.

Pakky

Smash Hero
My joke aside, there was never going to be a "real winner". It was clear Smash Ballot was a suggestion box, not a democratic election.

That's why it's so ridiculous so many people turned it into a giant pissing contest, even though there wasn't even a limit on how many votes one can use.
This has always confused me, how does one 'win' a suggestion box?

Like :ultbayonetta: was announced as the winner, but how does one do that when the ballot was a suggestion box?

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
When Super Smash Bros. Melee was first released, The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time was still new and as such no one knew if she was going to make an appearance in a later main series game (She didn't appear in Majora's Mask, but that could've been a one off back then). As such, Sheik seemed like a reasonable idea at time as she very well could've become a main stay in The Legend of Zelda franchise.
I don't think that when the team makes their decisions on who gets included, they're thinking, "Yeah, but how many future games will this character be in?" Also, Majora's Mask was the newest Zelda at the time. Didn't star Sheik, and Melee didn't have Skull Kid.

As far as the one-off characters debate:

:ultrobin::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultroy::ultcorrin::ultlucas::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultdarkpit::ultsheik:

KatKit

Smash Lord
The perfect WTF rep is The Savvy Stylist (Style Savvy). Non-combatant? Check. Is in a game geared toward a demographic that Smash Bros. doesn't cater much to? Check again. Is from a relatively recent and popular first-party franchise and originates from the DS era (which lacks playable reps)? Triple check. Is from an IP that has no playable reps, but at least two songs and a trophy? You bet. This isn't some side character and/or a character from some game that came out over a decade or two ago. Despite all of these legitimate reasons and more, there is no outcry for this character. WTF indeed. She may seem like a joke to some, and would be unexpected to many, but there is no doubt that the salt would be real and the WTF factor would be greater than even Wii Fit Trainer.

Btw, the Stylist was my vote on the old ballot. I'm rooting for Elma currently since she has good odds, but I know how Sakurai thinks, and one day I hope he does his thing and surprises most of you (but not me) with the greatness that is Style Savvy.

D

Deleted member

The perfect WTF rep is The Savvy Stylist (Style Savvy). Non-combatant? Check. Is in a game geared toward a demographic that Smash Bros. doesn't cater much to? Check again. Is from a relatively recent and popular first-party franchise and originates from the DS era (which lacks playable reps)? Triple check. Is from an IP that has no playable reps, but at least two songs and a trophy? You bet. This isn't some side character and/or a character from some game that came out over a decade or two ago. Despite all of these legitimate reasons and more, there is no outcry for this character. WTF indeed. She may seem like a joke to some, and would be unexpected to many, but there is no doubt that the salt would be real and the WTF factor would be greater than even Wii Fit Trainer.

Btw, the Stylist was my vote on the old ballot. I'm rooting for Elma currently since she has good odds, but I know how Sakurai thinks, and one day I hope he does his thing and surprises most of you (but not me) with the greatness that is Style Savvy.
OK, but Goku though

Goku.png

Get Toei to animate his trailer, and let the chaos flow.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This has always confused me, how does one 'win' a suggestion box?

Like the announced :ultbayonetta: as the winner, but how does one do that when the ballot was a suggestion box?
Be the easiest to implement among the characters that got most votes? But she was decided pretty early, no?

Honestly, using the ballot for DLC when Ultimate already was decided may not be the best idea. It gave us Bayo, so I can't complain but obviously there were a lot of limitations.

I don't think that when the team makes their decisions on who gets included, they're thinking, "Yeah, but how many future games will this character be in?" Also, Majora's Mask was the newest Zelda at the time. Didn't star Sheik, and Melee didn't have Skull Kid.

As far as the one-off characters debate:

:ultrobin::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultroy::ultcorrin::ultlucas::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultdarkpit::ultsheik:
If it's going to help, all characters you listed except Sheik were playable characters, not sure if that changes anything. Though, if Sheik is a one-off, Ganondorf was too, when he first included.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Anyone else order the Collector's edition guide from Amazon and already get charged for it? I thought Amazon only charged once the item ships. Would be awesome if they mistakenly shipped it early lol.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
You generalized people for being excited about their favorite game? This is funny since many of these people can have an amazing social life while still vocalizing disappointment because that's pretty normal in everyday life actually. Lol this is why I don't come on here like that to converse. What's with the random insults of people in your own gaming community? lol
Very bold of you to assume this is my community. 1/2 /s

There's nothing wrong with disliking a lack of social contact, which I'm positive we've all been/are familiar with.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I voted a lot for Shadow and some for Bandanna Waddle Dee. It sucks that a lot of the ATs in Smash 4 probably had depressed turnouts because they were already deconfirmed, but a lot of the sample data I see suggest Shadow polled decently in spite of him being an AT, neck and neck with Knuckles (may he rest in peace).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom