• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Also, it's been only about a month and a half since Isabelle, and only two and a half months since 8.8.

These gaps in info are nothing compared to previous games. Smash 4 was announced nearly a year before it even entered development. The only thing mishandled with this game's marketing IMO is that I agree with Sakurai, they did a little too much too soon. However, I 100% guarantee this game will sell fine. The only people upset at the lack of news right now are a vocal minority compared to the total that will buy the game, not to mention people upset at the lack of news will buy the game anyway. So, TBH, I don't see what complaining about the marketing is accomplishing here, unless there are people here who will decide to not purchase the game because the rate of info wasn't to their liking. If that's what people wanna do, I mean, to each their own, but that seems a little silly to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Horrible job at marketing = One and a half months of no new info?

How about a hobby, guys. A social life, anything.
You generalized people for being excited about their favorite game? This is funny since many of these people can have an amazing social life while still vocalizing disappointment because that's pretty normal in everyday life actually. Lol this is why I don't come on here like that to converse. What's with the random insults of people in your own gaming community? lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The marketing isn't perfect but at the same time it's not bad. I just wish we got more info on the newer characters rather then stuff we already know. The Luigi poltergust stuff and Ash Greninja should've been shown in a short clip on the blog.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Sakurai is known to make things personal and that ends up coming back to bite him. See his justification for Smash 4 lacking an important, original mode being "because people put SSE cutscenes online". This time it means revealing everything in one or two directs to beat leakers to the punch. The more you think about it, the more sense it makes how we got here.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Change of pace: favorite songs in Smash Bros? Off the top of my head the Melee version of Brinstar Depths and Tetris Type A are first to come to mind (I don't know what we did to deserve the awesome remix for the latter)

Hmm, from what I remember, let's see...

-Smash 64: That Meta Crystal certainly had the best atmosphere.
-Melee: That Giga Bowser one was definitely amazing for its time. Take that FD song which was already good, give us a new twisted Bowser, put em together, and we got this lovely piece. Brinstar Depths, Poke Floats, and the "metal battle" on Battlefield are honorable mentions.
-Brawl: Haven't played this in a long time so I don't remember.
-S4: That Destroyed Skyworld remix was underrated. It gives off a more heavenly feel with its tone and voices added which I appreciate. Honorable mentions go to Master Fortress (both parts). Sorry my memory isn't good with this either.
-Ultimate: I didn't pay attention to all the songs yet, but I fancy that Brinstar Depths one a lot.

D

Deleted member

Huh? i wouldnt mind spending 2 years without info. I wouldnt mind if they delay the game 1 year, a game would have no impact with my life.

The core of the problem relies on how they approach their games which ive always been against about nintendo and im not blaming Sakurai himself, thats why i said "nintendo" or who ever is in charge of the marketing.

Who is your target audience? How are you keeping your audience engaged? Which is your plan to keep your product relevant? Whats new on the table for someone who has never played a smash game and wants to get into the series? What about the hardcore competitive? etc etc etc. Theres no roadmap about smash development, theres no solid evidence besides some ambiguous tidbits and their communication is so vertical.

The product, as usual by nintendo is held as a laaaaarge mistery and theyll do whatever they want because at the end people will just buy their things blindly. Any other FG or major game will get bashed to oblivion with this sort of mistery.

But at the end, the money talks and if people keeps buying their games, giving them a "check" for whatever they do, heck why would they change if they still sell?

Just go check how other companies handles their PR, their CM and youll see how Nintendo is years behind.
I actually prefer Nintendo's method of marketing compared to the empty hype that comes from most major companies' "Hey, hey, hey! Here's this hot new CGI trailer for a game that's barely left conceptual phase and probably won't even see the light of day for 3 more years! Get hyped guyz11!!11!!1!"

The target audience has been made super clear. Do you like fighting games? Do you like party games? Then here ya go, Smash Bros, a party fighting game.

What's new? Every character in the series returning, plus some newcomers. Here's some modes and returning stages as well.

Nintendo has, and never will, do anything major for Smash in the FGC. Sakurai has made it clear multiple times that he is not trying to appeal to that market exclusively, and has never tried to outside of throwing an occasional bone. Plus, compared to the rest of the playerbase that purchases a new Smash game, the competitive side is very, very small.

There has been a roadmap. The Directs, which have been very plentiful this year. Also, I think you're exaggerating the amount of people that follow Smash as closely as a site like Smash Boards. Most people will watch trailers on Youtube when they crop up, and don't scour the internet for leaks and rumors, and don't watch every single tiny thing like a hawk. Most people will pick a game up after watching launch day trailers, YT/twitch gameplay, or any other form of viewing the game. The Directs are for the hardcore audience, which will buy the game no matter what. So, if they make money in the end, how does that make it poorly marketed?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Personal note, I guess it just throws me off when people say this games marketing is bad. Show me a tripple A title that within 3 months (June-August) had roughly an hour dedicated to looking into specifics of the game, as well as hours and hours of content from a demo (a demo that is also open to the public, even if it's just those lucky enough to play it). Not only that but a site that updates daily with info, sure not new info, but still keeps those interested coming back for more.

There is none. Really people should be complaining about the marketing compared to Brawl and 4, and even then the only real difference is the blog. The blog is bad we can all agree. This game's marketing is not.

PS I'm a stickler for people properly explaining themselves, I'm super hard on myself for it all the time.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Change of pace: favorite songs in Smash Bros? Off the top of my head the Melee version of Brinstar Depths and Tetris Type A are first to come to mind (I don't know what we did to deserve the awesome remix for the latter)
Bramble Blast / Stickerbush Symphony, the Fire Emblem main theme, With Mila's Divine Protection, Tetris Type A, and pretty much all of the Halberd soundtrack top the list for me. Everything from Melee's soundtrack is great, can't really pick favorites. The Magicant tracks, Pilotwings' Light Plane, and Pac-Man's Park / Block Town remixes from 4 are all solid, but not as good as the best of Brawl or most of Melee's soundtrack for me.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I voted for Ridley. No one else I've been looking forward to more than him for so many years and it still blows my mind that he won out in the end.
Today is October 23rd.

It is also the 4th anniversary of the 50 Fact Extravaganza

Holy **** time flies. I remember former friends rubbing it in my face that Ridley was deconfirmed again, my how times have changed.
On the subject of Geno's difficulties in getting into Smash... if Dark Samus can make it, almost anyone can. Dark Samus had almost nothing going for her, but a lot going against her. She was:
  • Barely requested. The only reason she was on anyone's radar at any point in time was because of the circumstantial evidence between E3 and the August Direct. Even back in Brawl and Smash 4, when she was more relevant, no one really considered her at all. All eyes were on Ridley.
  • Has been dead for 11 years. Her last appearance was in Metroid Prime 3 in 2007, and she died at the end of that game, with no chance of coming back (unless they retcon something), and only appearing since in Brawl as a Trophy and Smash 4 as an Assist Trophy.
  • Only appeared in two games that sold under 2 million units each. The sales aren't shabby, but neither of them sold more than the original Metroid Prime. Prime 2 came out in 2004 on the GameCube, the lowest-selling system of that generation, and Prime 3 came out in 2007 on the Wii, a system targeting casual gamers and also a month before Halo 3. Meanwhile, Ridley's been in most Metroid games in some form or another, and has far more significance to the franchise overall.
  • Is American. That is, from American-made games. She's the first playable character with that distinction, actually. This is significant, because Samus didn't even get her Prime design in Brawl when there was every reason for her to have it. Then, in Smash 4 (and by extension Ultimate), she got her Other M design. It's clear that there's been some favoritism towards the Japanese-made content in general.
  • Even as an Echo Fighter, the competition is fierce. Shadow, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Impa, Hilda, and Ken are all characters that would have much broader appeal. Can you imagine if it turns out that either Shadow or Ken don't make it into the game, but Dark Samus did? Boy is there going to be some backlash.
She's one of the luckiest characters to ever make it into Smash, and definitely the luckiest character to make it into Ultimate so far. Geno has more going for him in the fact that he's been mentioned by Sakurai twice already across two different games, and was included as a Mii costume in recognition of how requested he is.
Frankly I'm still in awe that Dark Samus got the promotion. She had nothing going for her (as you said) and was almost in a K. Rool scenario of being forgotten and on the verge of never appearing again. So the fact that she is playable now amongst all these other characters that have much more success than her is phenomenal.
You know, i'm expecting Shadow as Sonic's echo (just like everyone else), but i wouldn't mind if Tails was the chosen one. He's Sonic's original sidekick, so he kinda deserves the spot.
The way I see it, Shadow would be chosen because he has a lot of importance to Sonic's career on Nintendo systems. Adventure 2 was the first ever Sonic game on a Nintendo system and is fondly remembered today, not to mention his own game performing well on Gamecube among other things. Of course he's mega-popular and easy to make, but I just think he has that in his favour also.

Frankly I was against Tails at first because of how much I've grown to hate him in recent games, but after some re-evaluating I've decided I'll support him once Shadow makes it (if that happens). I feel it's only fair since there's no reason us two groups should be against one another.
Now, I know this sounds like a little much, but I want DLC packs for Smash Ultimate that have like everything a series could get. Example:

Cave Story DLC Pack:
Original fighter: Quote
Echo fighter: Curly Brace
Assist Trophy: Balrog
Stage: Sand Zone
At least 2 music tracks.

LIke, it sounds like a whole lot would be in there, but it would be great to see something like this as a format of DLC.
Fate/Stay Night DLC Pack:
Fighter: Saber/Arturia
Echo Fighter: Red Saber/Nero Claudius
Assist Trophy: Archer/(spoiler)
Stage: Ryuudou Temple
At least 6 music tracks and 4 non-fighter related trophies

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Are there any characters that if they get in you'll be set for life? (or at least one Smash cycle)

Honestly if I can get Rex/Pyra/Mythra in DLC for Ultimate or even just Elma I will be set. I don't think we need 3 reps from Xenoblade. (even though I would love it lol) unless the next XC comes out before the next Smash and is absurdly popular. I'll still push for Rex in the next game if just Elma gets into Ultimate but I won't be upset at all if he doesn't get in :)
I'm more or less at that point already since Mega Man came back and we got Ridley.

But Mega Man X would the hypest character for me if we got two Mega Men. Isaac's near that level too.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Personal note, I guess it just throws me off when people say this games marketing is bad. Show me a tripple A title that within 3 months (June-August) had roughly an hour dedicated to looking into specifics of the game, as well as hours and hours of content from a demo (a demo that is also open to the public, even if it's just those lucky enough to play it). Not only that but a site that updates daily with info, sure not new info, but still keeps those interested coming back for more.

There is none. Really people should be complaining about the marketing compared to Brawl and 4, and even then the only real difference is the blog. The blog is bad we can all agree. This game's marketing is not.

PS I'm a stickler for people properly explaining themselves, I'm super hard on myself for it all the time.
Here is the problem, the comparisson most of you have done is with previous smashes. I mean obviously thats the "reference" we got but ill handle you some example of devs that have set the bar on how to handle big titles with "good" marketing (in marketing i also include communication): CDPR, Riot (debatable), Jagex, Blizzard (except hearthstone). Now if you see theres a pattern, all of these are "western" which my critique is also aimed at them.

What saves Nintendo is that their product GENERALLY is good even excelent so they dont really need to push their marketing to modern standards. But my critique was aimed at if Nintendo updated the way they handle communication it would be very good for us as customers but anyway this thread is about smash so, back to it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm more or less at that point already since Mega Man came back and we got Ridley.

But Mega Man X would the hypest character for me if we got two Mega Men. Isaac's near that level too.
watch smash fans whine about megaman bias lmao

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
ut my critique was aimed that if Nintendo updated the way they handle communication it would be very good for us as customers but anyway this thread is about smash so, back to it.
Untitled.png

Yeah, if only...

I told all of you, the reason why we haven't seen Simon/Richter in a full match yet is when Ken is revealed, they're going to show off a team battle between Ryu/Ken and Simon/Richter.

You can trust me, I'm Vergeben, and I got Shulk's blog date correct.
You joke.... but this actually makes sense, and I could see them doing that.

D

Deleted member

Are there any characters that if they get in you'll be set for life? (or at least one Smash cycle)

Honestly if I can get Rex/Pyra/Mythra in DLC for Ultimate or even just Elma I will be set. I don't think we need 3 reps from Xenoblade. (even though I would love it lol) unless the next XC comes out before the next Smash and is absurdly popular. I'll still push for Rex in the next game if just Elma gets into Ultimate but I won't be upset at all if he doesn't get in :)
:ultinkling: were all I needed, TBH. I even got some of the other big things I wanted like more Metroid content (:ultridley:,:ultdarksamus:) more DK content (:ultkrool:), and my third most wanted for this game (:ultisabelle:). That coupled with nearly all of my favorite stages coming back and requested veteran changes happening makes this the best Smash ever in my eyes. By the looks of things, I may even be getting good single player back, which would make me even more ecstatic for this game than I already am.

If I could have one more thing, though, it would be Octolings. Having them, even as just an Echo, would truly make the game perfect in my eyes, and I would 100% be okay if this Smash turned out to be the final one. It's just looking that good.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Unironcially I believe this one more than the garbage I've seen just based on Jeanne being here as well.

No one mentions her even though she like Rodin and Ken are in Smash 4 as trophies.
Probably because unlike other suspicious missing costumes that turned out to be actual characters. (Samus' Dark Samus alt, and I guess Ike also had a Chrom-like alt in Smash 4 that was missing from the demo). Bayonetta still had the Jeanne colored alt in the demo.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
If I got to choose a new MegaMan fighter, id have to pick Tron Bonne. She was one of my mains in Mvc2 and 3 so I want her to be in Smash to dunk on Infinite even more.

(Please come back to Mahvel, T Bonne. We miss you :( )

D

Deleted member

Probably because unlike other suspicious missing costumes that turned out to be actual characters. (Samus' Dark Samus alt, and I guess Ike also had a Chrom-like alt in Smash 4 that was missing from the demo). Bayonetta still had the Jeanne colored alt in the demo.
My memory is failing me, but did Sonic's "shadow" alt get taken out?

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
64- Fighting polygon team theme
Melee- Fountain of Dreams
Brawl- Tetris Type A
3DS- Gerudo Valley
WiiU- Destroyed Skyworld

D

Deleted member

If we're talking about who we each voted for on the ballot, my vote went to Inkling. I was really torn at the time between them and Paper Mario (Paper Mario used to be my #1 before Inklings came along), but I went for Inkling in the end thanks to how much I loved Splatoon and wanted to see the interesting mechanics they'd bring to Smash.

Seeing them be the very first revealed for this game was magical. :love:

D

Deleted member

Anyone else hope just some random character is added just to throw off speculation? Like think about it: a direct starts, the cross-flairs open, everyone is expecting Ken or Incineroar or Geno, and then BAM! Karate Joe as an Elma echo or some wacky **** like that

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I voted for :ultpokemontrainer:. But just :ultpokemontrainer:. Don't care about his Pokemon just wanted :ultpokemontrainer: to punch people.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Anyone else hope just some random character is added just to throw off speculation? Like think about it: a direct starts, the cross-flairs open, everyone is expecting Ken or Incineroar or Geno, and then BAM! Karate Joe as an Elma echo or some wacky **** like that
That would be great, actually. Not that I have anything against those three.

D

Deleted member

We can't suggest a perfect WTF rep for Ultimate, because then it won't shock us when he/she is revealed.

D

Deleted member

That would be great, actually. Not that I have anything against those three.
yeah same, i just want the speculation to be thrown off. Every single "leak" is so safe, just characters that people want. It's dumb.

totally not upset because no leak has Elma and she's very unlikely and I should just move my hopes on to Rex and Skull Kid as DLC

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
I voted for Bayonetta (I’m so sorry)
Afterwards I voted for Shovel Knight then Shantae. Would love an indie represented in smash, heck even Commander Video or something would be cool.

If I were to vote again, I’d vote for Goomba and the Prince from the Katamari games.

D

Deleted member

I never understood if you could vote for many characters in the ballot.

Like, a user's vote stopped counting to the total if he voted for more than one character?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Kengenoroar for Smash! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom