• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Is Tails still on Green Hill?

Because I have a sinking feeling that third party echos might not be casually revealed like Nintendo echoes.

Tails has been as long standing a request as Sonic was because of the Melee prank.

Could there be a Tails/Shadow reveal?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So this chart mentions references instead of in-game appearances? I'm not a fan of Little Mac being in the arcade either. Maybe Wireframe Mac since it's a reference, but he was in the NES/maybe SNES/Wii games only. The guy in the arcade games was just a random player, probably the same guy from Arm Wrestling.
Manuals apparently count too for the chart?

Also, for the Chrom thing, he has the same function of Ike's Aether, right? That sounds like he just used a single existing asset from a character with an already similar build to do so. Maybe it didn't require nearly as much work to work right as the Mario Spin for Dr. Mario. But Ike, Roy, and Chrom do have similar builds, which could be the only reason he got that move. I wouldn't really say Dixie could easily take DK's Spinning Kong, as that's a severe animation change as is. Shadow's Chaos Control, on the other hand, doesn't even need to outright use another animation so much as a few assets/programming to disappear/reappear somewhere. The function is more important than the animation.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Who the hell is saying that? Diddy and Dixie are pretty much copycats outside of the neutral special, up special, and jab. I don't know what you could do to replace the Peanut Popgun (perhaps use the blowdart that shot grapes), but the recovery and jab is easy to fix.
I've always thought that Dixie being an echo would make no sense, but now that we know echoes can pull from other fighters, just give her DK's Up-B, make her Neutral-B a bit sticky and she'd be pretty much fine.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I'm aware.

What's your point? That doesn't change what I said.
What I originally said in which Sakurai statement refers to Brand New fighters and that people care more about them than echoes lol. Kinda cherry picking.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Did anyone else count the stages on the Official Site? I counted them 5 times and I keep getting 104. Anyone else wanna help me out?

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Honestly, we may get to the point where echo fighter means "clones added in smash ultimate + dark pit and lucina". Getting harder and harder to pin rules on these guys.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
The leak alleging Gardevoir and Gothitelle are in the game is kind of exciting to me. It would be wildly unexpected, but they would make more unique fighters than Incineroar/Decidueye/Lycanroc imo. Or maybe it's just that I really don't want those three.
I agree. I feel like they are 10x cooler than another Fire or grass starter.

I want Pokemon to have every single type in the game.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Anyone have a favorite reaction from Smashers watching the K Rool fakeout/reveal? I think Nairo's reaction was amazing to watch.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Is Tails still on Green Hill?

Because I have a sinking feeling that third party echos might not be casually revealed like Nintendo echoes.

Tails has been as long standing a request as Sonic was because of the Melee prank.

Could there be a Tails/Shadow reveal?
Tails and Knuckles have both been seen according to the Tails Support Thread. But considering Knuckles can appear as an AT and in the background, it might work?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Of all echoes so far who are you going to pick up?

I like the looks of Richter more than Simon personally.

And I actually did throw a vote Dark Samus's way last time. Hopefully she has some Smash attacks that mimic her assist trophy moveset because that was the number one reason I did. I don't think we've seen all of her moveset yet either.
The new ones, right? Most definitely Richter. Regardless, I will be playing both Simon and Richter like the fan of Castlevania I am. Before, I was not fond of the idea of Simon getting the boxart look rather than his Chronicles look, but looking at both Simon and Richter, I've grown on the Simon look, as it really helps make him and Richter distinct from each other. Although I do hope Simon gets a alternate costume based on his Chronicles look or Mirror of Fate look(as that was one of the few good things from the Lords of Shadows series) as a bonus.

I will also give Dark Samus and Chrom a go too. Admittingly, I don't play Samus alot in general, although I really love Dark Samus' pose and whatnot. With Chrom, I actually enjoy using Roy alot and since Chrom is an Echo of him with Ike's Aether as a bonus, I do feel like I'm going to play him quite alot in general.

Shroob

Sup?
Anyone have a favorite reaction from Smashers watching the K Rool fakeout/reveal? I think Nairo's reaction was amazing to watch.
Etika's was ridiculously tame, disappointingly. Granted, he said he never really played Donkey Kong.

Rogersbase was going to ****ing have a stroke though, so that made up for it.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
As an avid Roy player in Sm4sh, Chrom is possibly the first echo I want to unlock. Aside from my genuine liking of him as a character, his alternate attacks look like a fun way to shake up the game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Welp. Golden went over the video again. While Sakurai didn't outright say to expect more stages, it was a serious mishearing. He said "there's 103 stages now"(well, at least in the US direct). I still don't agree with the idea that the select screen being less than a perfect square truly matters, but we should expect more now that the correct wording exists.

Besides that, Mute City SNES makes no sense anyway. All the other renames is because an identically named stage exists. Mute City is coming back from Melee. Pretty obvious. Now the kicker is why it's not there. F-Zero character, maybe?

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Literally the same concept as aether.
Only very loosely. Chrom also doesn't throw his sword upwards before jumping, so it misses out on one of the few good properties of Ike's up b, clearing anyone standing too closely to ledge. Because he isnt separated from his sword, he might also miss out on the super armor ike gets to prevent himself from "losing" his sword. We'll have to see more I guess.

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm still wondering if we'll have a new Fire Emblem Assist Trophy.

But it was nice to also see the Killing Edge along with Chrom.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I just counted them, there's only 103.
I'm sure of it.
Did you count them on a mobile device? Because my iPhone clearly shows 103, no question. Computer shows 104, but I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Edit: Found the problem. I’m cognitively challenged. Ignore me.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Welp. Golden went over the video again. While Sakurai didn't outright say to expect more stages, it was a serious mishearing. He said "there's 103 stages now"(well, at least in the US direct). I still don't agree with the idea that the select screen being less than a perfect square truly matters, but we should expect more now that the correct wording exists.

Besides that, Mute City SNES makes no sense anyway. All the other renames is because an identically named stage exists. Mute City is coming back from Melee. Pretty obvious. Now the kicker is why it's not there. F-Zero character, maybe?
I mean, I guess Black Shadow as a Falcon Clone is happening?

With Ganondorf getting new moves, Black Shadow could pick up those old ones.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Now the kicker is why it's not there. F-Zero character, maybe?
That's it, you just gave me the drive to make the thread. My hopes are way too high now, Black Shadow's being put on the prediction list and now Hayabusa's the pipe dream slot.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I've always thought that Dixie being an echo would make no sense, but now that we know echoes can pull from other fighters, just give her DK's Up-B, make her Neutral-B a bit sticky and she'd be pretty much fine.
It would still feel very off to me if her jabs and grabs didn't involve her hair as well, which would require new assets. Which is not to say that that means she can't be an echo, that's still very possible. I just wouldn't be too happy about it.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Did anyone else count the stages on the Official Site? I counted them 5 times and I keep getting 104. Anyone else wanna help me out?
Because the site apparently has a really cool responsive design, I'm using the mobile version as reference:
(Less than 760px) I counted 25 full rows and a 3-item row. Which adds up to 103.
(More than 1891px) I counted 42 stages each on the left and right side, and 19 in the bottom row. Adds up to 103.

There's apparently layouts for width=760, 980, 1366, 1711, 1891 etc.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, I guess Black Shadow as a Falcon Clone is happening?

With Ganondorf getting new moves, Black Shadow could pick up those old ones.
My thought exactly. I think he'd make sense as a Ganondorf Echo(using his old Brawl moveset) but using Falcon's Side B and obviously not using a sword. This fits well enough.

That's it, you just gave me the drive to make the thread. My hopes are way too high now, Black Shadow's being put on the prediction list and now Hayabusa's the pipe dream slot.
We need a BS thread, yep~

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
The fact that all 103 stages were shown on the site and none of them were the ancestral plains monster hunter stage definitely means it either appears as some kind of element of a single player mode or that were being bamboozled on 103 stages. I know Sakurai doesn't like to play these kinds of long term games usually but its hard not to come to that conclusion when they seemed to definitely show a stage outside of the already shown 103. In any case, I'm really excited to see whats thats all about!! Maybe theres just a reasonable explanation I'm missig.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if you unlock echo fighters at the same time as their originals.

Like, when the time comes for me to fight Roy, when I beat him will I unlock Chrom too? Or will they be in a team together during the battle?

I guess this is something we'll find out closer to launch. Sakurai did say unlocking characters was "streamlined" so maybe you don't have to fight them at all, IDK. I just like fighting them to unlock them.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Dark Samus looks awesome - it's idle and floatiness really make it look like an entirely new character. I love MP2 and MP3, so Im really hyped to play it. Plus, it's cool to have the Metroid Prime reincarnation playable.

Chrom is awesome too. The fact that he's an echo that seems to play somewhat different is really cool. I love using Roy, but I have more of an attachment to Chrom so I think I'll really like using him.

You know the main thing that I like about the five characters we got today?

No one has a gimmick. They're just new characters that look hella fun to play as. The most gimmicky thing seems to be the Belmont's reach, but that's just a cool play style really.

The Direct fully exceeded my expectations and I would be happy if that's it in terms of newcomers, which is a really cool place to be at.

That being said, I can't wait to see what else Sakurai has for us.

I think I'd be really content with three more newcomers and three more echoes.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Took a more in-depth look at the music track listings from the direct. Ranked by series, here's how many songs we have thus far (granted, not all songs could be unlocked in this build)

Metroid - 25
Yoshi - 14
Kirby - 39
Star Fox - 17
Game & Watch - 2
Wii Fit - 10
Sonic - 20
PAC-MAN - 13
Street Fighter - 36
Final Fantasy - 2
Bayonetta - 11
Splatoon - 23
Other - 97

36 freaking songs from Street Fighter. That's more than Castlevania got in today's info!

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Etika's was ridiculously tame, disappointingly. Granted, he said he never really played Donkey Kong.

Etika's annoyed me, he wasn't even paying attention! He didn't even see the whole fakeout lol.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Going with the whole "Heroes and Villains" thing. No Pokemon is truly a villain, even Mewtwo was the result of evil humans.
But Incineroar is a big ol' prick, the douchiest of bags, just a big fat meanie pants in general. Does that count?

Last edited:

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Etika's annoyed me, he wasn't even paying attention! He didn't even see the whole fakeout lol.
I noticed he does this a lot.

He was freaking out so much during the initial "Everyone Is Here" reveal trailer that he missed Pichu and Young Link when they were first shown off.

Don't know if anyone else posted this already but it's important. Leak last month that had richter
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422689663/
MARIO 2 CONFIRMED, BOYZ
GET HYPE

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315

Should have been at my house then, I was going HAM there

Also what would you think of an underrepped franchise getting a new echo fighter but not a new rep? I kinda feel it's a bit of rubbing salt in the wound, especially since I know that one of those franchise would be F-Zero, but Earthbound fans could kinda share the pain...

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
For the record, here's Chrom Aether. It's clearly different from Ike's Aether.

Did you count them on a mobile device? Because my iPhone clearly shows 103, no question. Computer shows 104, but I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.
Nope, I'm on my computer right now.
Here's a numbered list for reference.
1533791006500.png

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Okay, well, with that out of the way, what have I missed here? Any new interesting things spotted in the background of the direct? Noteworthy move set analysis?(like K. Rool DSmash buries)

Moon replaces Skull Kid. So, that makes me wonder about his potential reveal.
Still no Shadow AT. That’s neat, right?

Chrom is a hybrid Echo. Now it seems like every clone that enters Ultimate will be considered an echo. Not as clean cut as we assumed.

I noted that the K. Rool boxing glove punch against Bowser is his FSmash because of the twinkle from his and Bowser’s. He also seems to have slightly more range.
Each time I saw the Blunderbuss suck something in, he shot at an upward angle. Can’t tell if that was a tilted aim or upward is just automatic(would suck, kinda).
Dash Attack is armored(at least on the gold belly).
He uses an aerial, but so can’t tell if it’s Fair or RAR Bair. He does seem to turn round in the animation for it.

Don’t even know how to talk about the crazy Belmont moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom