• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Given the formatting of both the website and the amiibo case they showed, there will probably be two more newcomers and that's it. Given that we got everyone back and several of them were reworked, I think that's perfectly fine.
Even with everyone coming back, just 4 newcomers in total is mad disappointing, this is a new game after all, I'm expecting at least 6 more.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Unfortunately, it seems that if Charizard gets KO'd, you'd respawn as Squirtle, so in that scenario, you'd have to do two Pokemon Changes if you want to use Charizard again.
You can change Pokémon when your still respawning on the pedestal without it leaving. It was shown during the invitational.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Apparently, announcer Jordan Kent seemed to hint at the possibility of turning hazards on and off. How would you guys feel if that was they actual case? In fact, no Pokemon on Saffron City is a big hint.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Even with everyone coming back, just 4 newcomers in total is mad disappointing, this is a new game after all, I'm expecting at least 6 more.
Only 4 "new" characters, but several more that weren't in the previous installment, some of whom are completely unique in how they function. Even a few new elements makes a big difference in a game this large, because each of them adds another 60+ matchups. If hitstun actually exists in this game, I'm perfectly content with calling it the definitive version.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I think Ridley's viability is going to come down to how well he can pressure shield.
If he can break shields okay, he has a free kill with his down b to smash attack off of that.
If he can't, he's going to not get that in neutral, so he's going to rely on his aerials.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You can change Pokémon when your still respawning on the pedestal without it leaving. It was shown during the invitational.
Knowing that you can switch Pokemon while still on the revival platform is good to hear. The last thing any Pokemon Trainer player would want is an opponent to punish him/her during the Pokemon Change.

D

Deleted member

I honest to God hope that Funky Kong isn't just an Echo Fighter. Having barely any difference to DK doesn't sit right...
How would he even utilize his surfboard, the main appeal of him as a fighter?

Last edited by a moderator:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Whatever then.

All I'm saying is that the game simply has some stuff from Smash 4, just from watching the E3 build alone, that I'm thoroughly unhappy about. Lack of momentum carrying over being one of those. Slow neutral with only a couple of hits, then a reset to neutral after. Strong recoveries with very generous ledge mechanics. And lack of movement in general. The only changes to the game we're aware of, which should lead to less defensive meta, are the nerfed dodges if used repeatedly and directional air dodges. That's a good first step, but not enough in the right direction. I'm aware it takes about two to three years for a meta to really start going. People learn the MUs and get better at the game. We'll see, but my first thoughts about the game leave much to be desired.
fighting games are almost never built from the ground up on original assets unless it's a new IP. momentum has been gone since brawl thats three games man. its nothing new. calling this game slow is comparing it only to melee. melee has unintentional movement within it and a lot of questionable other incusions that speed it up. smashU has been designed to have characters move faster, frames come out quicker, and more. and the smartest thing Nintendo changed was having knockback occur quicker it kills dead time in matches. defensive meta? were we watching the same thing? this game is not defensive rolling, spotdodes, airdodges, and directional airdodges are a resource. you cannot win games long term without an offensive ability.

lastly if you came to this smash game expecting movement option i cannot help you. nintendo isnt going to add something back into the game they never intended to be in the game in the first place. The recoveries are nerfed they are better than melee yes, but they aren't smash 4 level of length and reach. mario died in the 1v1 several times when i thought he'd make it by other games. as for ledge mehcanics without hands on time its hard to tell not sure how you can.

also i saw some posts earlier saying perfect shield was changed. its not really a perfect shield ita more of parry. its a skill based mechanic and thats good to see. Magnet hands have been heavily reduced and final smashes have been adjusted left and right.
People really expected smash to show everything. why? they never have. there are characters left to show. and more modes im sure.
the direction of this game looks great.

RedMarf78

Smash Cadet
I a bit confused as to why some people are disappointed; shouldn't it be expected that there are less gameplay mechanic changes the more smash installations there are (because the dev team is getting closer to their idealized game with each installation).
If we saw the same number of core changes between every installation, wouldn't that mean that the Devs were just changing things for the hell of it to keep things fresh? (which I'm sure would please some people but would also annoy others).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Dixie turning around to hit with her ponytail would look odd, and that's ignoring the peanuts and the jetpack, I guess they could replace the peanuts with the gumball gun but the jetpack really wouldn't work. Honestly the entirety of Diddy's moveset doesn't mesh with her character at all imo
True but Daisy never had Toad bodyguard's either.

(current headcanon, it's Blue Toad from 3D Land, who wants in on Smash and this was the best he could manage.)

busken

Smash Ace
Does anyone else feel that the game looks clunky and shifty. Not comparing it to the other smash games but it doesn't seem to flow very well. Also, it's a little bit over the top cosmetically for me. Does anyone else notice this at all?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh, thought of a good Echo Fighter!
Has Dark Samus been spotted yet?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Apparently, announcer Jordan Kent seemed to hint at the possibility of turning hazards on and off. How would you guys feel if that was they actual case?
That's the dream. I've wanted a stage hazard toggle for an eternity. That opens up stage possibilities for competitive play a ton.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Nope! At least Toad can do other things besides being used as a shield. Captain Toad rumors, however. That dream for now is just dead.
Wait, how is CT dead? He's different from Toad and I find it unlikely that he doesn't make an appearance in some form. I think he's definitely in in some way, maybe not as playable, but I think at the very least then CT and Toadette would have been the Toads for Peach and Daisy but they use Toad and Blue Toad.

I'm kind of suspicious actually since I feel like Daisy using Blue is really random. Like I would have expected Toadette for her. Which makes me think CT is in and Toadette is an alt or Echo but IDK I'm not holding my breath, I know it means nothing but it's still strange.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I honest to God hope that Funky Kong isn't just an Echo Fighter. Having barely any difference to DK doesn't sit right...
How would he even utilize his surfboard, the main appeal of him as a fighter?
I mean he could just have it as a taunt, I don't think the surfboard is really that integral to his character

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Lol at people being shocked that Smash 4 players who played the game extensively for four years played in the tournament as if it was Smash 4.

Like, yeah no they've thoroughly mastered the mechanics in the short time they've had with the game and yep, its totally just Smash 4. Confirmed xd.

Can we remember the mod who said people thought Brawl looked exactly like Melee and stop pretending like we have any idea how this game will play a year from now?

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Don't know much about Ridley & I'm happy for his fans, but something about his character model looks off. He looks a bit to... Small. I know there's a meme about him being to big, but now that he's actually in the game I'm really starting to see what Sakurai meant.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Guys they removed Diddy Kong's jab and just gave him a regular one that doesn't use his tail

Dixie confurm. That was one of his only tail moves(The jetpack doesn't make sense for Dixie but you know they don't care)

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Potential Echo Fighters:

Impa (Sheik)
Octolings (Inklings)
Galacta or Morpho Knight (Meta Knight)
Dixie Kong (Diddy)
Funky Kong (DK)
Isabelle (Villager)
Medusa (Palutena)

Those are what I could come up with for characters who do not already have an Echo Character/close clone.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Oh, thought of a good Echo Fighter!
Has Dark Samus been spotted yet?
I kinda like this idea, much like how Daisy has flowers instead of hearts, dark samus could shoot phazon instead of fire and have a phazon like screw attack. Not the optimal way to include dark samus but I wouldn't be mad tbh

Pakky

Smash Hero
Back from work my repsonse for the whole day and my boy getting announced with that cheeky trailer (That hat spin is the best)

Guess I'm purple man now

Mewtwo

Ridely

Wolf

Though I still hope for Rool.

Belmont is assured, Bomberman is here (as an assist which is sad) But yeah Verg is the gospel.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Don't know much about Ridley & I'm happy for his fans, but something about his character model looks off. He looks a bit to... Small. I know there's a meme about him being to big, but now that he's actually in the game I'm really starting to see what Sakurai meant.
Alright Sakurai, we know it's you. Stop making alt accounts. You did a good job with Ridley.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Guys they removed Diddy Kong's jab and just gave him a regular one that doesn't use his tail

Dixie confurm. That was one of his only tail moves(The jetpack doesn't make sense for Dixie but you know they don't care)
oh no...Please Sakurai don't, dixie without her hair is just wrong

RandomAce

Smash Champion
There are a couple of things I’m worried about. Like the lack of new stages (FD for the first time has the same look as BF) They showed a lot of old brough back stages instead (Find Mii, And N’s Castle look Lit). Newcomers is also something I’m worried about. With 66 characters, we’re nearing toward a 70-80 size roster, which is insanely big to balance and can be overwhelming to balance, I’m worried if the team had enough time to make some newcomers, let alone allow more of them now.

And I don’t want most of Smash Ultimate Newcomers to be DLC while the base roster gets a lot less. But with like 6 months left (December? Who would’ve guessed that?) There is enough time to spread out the newcomer reveals, so hoping for more newcomers down the line. I’m just happy how this game turned out.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Wait, how is CT dead? He's different from Toad and I find it unlikely that he doesn't make an appearance in some form. I think he's definitely in in some way, maybe not as playable, but I think at the very least then CT and Toadette would have been the Toads for Peach and Daisy but they use Toad and Blue Toad.

I'm kind of suspicious actually since I feel like Daisy using Blue is really random. Like I would have expected Toadette for her. Which makes me think CT is in and Toadette is an alt or Echo but IDK I'm not holding my breath, I know it means nothing but it's still strange.
When I said for now, I meant to say that for as long as Smash Ultimate is not shown again, I just will not think of any characters. Captain Toad has a shot based on popularity, but I honestly don't know what will happen to him at all.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Including the echo characters, there are currently 68 playable fighters in Ultimate. If the roster count is going to end at 70, I'm hoping that King K. Rool gets one of the vacant slots.

As for the 70th fighter, I'm starting to wonder what would happen if Dry Bowser is confirmed to be an echo fighter. Perhaps his Final Smash could be similar to Bowser's new Final Smash, except instead of punching fighters for instant KOs, Dry Bowser would breathe a massive stream of fire that deals massive damage, and KOs anyone whose current damage goes over 100%.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I could see funky kong being one, just give him a fun idle and taunts like daisy got and it'll be fine, I could see medusa tbh, galacta knight, many Fire emblem characters. And I think Blood falcon could definitely happen, I feel like it will.
Galacta Knight is a costume alt for Meta Knight (it's a pic that appears on the about page near the bottom) and I believe Blood Falcon is also still a costume alt on Captain Falcon's page (need to double check).

I'm kinda feeling Medusa honestly, and I hope no more Fire Emblem characters at this point. We already have one echo and one clone :/

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If the leak is true... no cuts.... no cuts....

Snake returns, Icies return... my god....

If true i'll be pulling for all the cut vets more then ever... Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, Young Link
This Smash will literally be 5 characters away from having every character that ever appeared in Smash as a playable character.

Such a complete roster... a thing of perfection.
Dreams come true...

Dreams do come true...

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Apparently, announcer Jordan Kent seemed to hint at the possibility of turning hazards on and off. How would you guys feel if that was they actual case? In fact, no Pokemon on Saffron City is a big hint.
The other thing I noticed backing that up is that, on Frigate, the stage never flipped upside down and the lights never turned off, IIRC.

It would open up quite a few options (but, chances are, some options that theoretically are perfectly fine for tournaments would be banned anyway...)

Pakky

Smash Hero
Though on seventh gen Pokemon I am unsure now. Is Greninja going to be considered as that?

Also for the state of the Switch this song is hitting harder than ever

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom