• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
But seriously I am still in shock. We went from nothing to them springing out 68 characters all at once. Not to mention a lot of past stages and items.

RedMarf78

Smash Cadet
To whoever said cloud takes recoil from limit: What are you talking about? I literally just watched Mr. R use limit cross slash in the invitational tourney and there's no recoil.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
So, earlier today, someone on GameFAQS asked where Simon Belmont was and he said “Just be patient. There’s still more reveals to come before release”. This suggests he’ll be revealed later.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76694154/903083982
More reveals, I wonder how many of them we will have (I still have hope for seeing crash)

I feel like they decided to delay Simon's reveal because it would be too obvious to reveal him just after we saw snake and bomberman as an AT

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
There better be an option to turn Star KOs/Screen KOs on or off (with options, if possible).

For the top KOs, here are the options I'm thinking of:
- Star KOs/Screen KOs on or off
- Star KOs/Screen KOs (on-stage only)
- Star KOs only (on-stage only)
- Screen KOs only (on-stage only)
- Star KOs/Screen KOs (except last stocks)
- Star KOs only (except last stocks)
- Screen KOs only (except last stocks)
- Random

Also, here's hoping Jigglypuff's down special will actually behave like "Smash 64" and "Smash Melee".

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I like the fact that they are bringing everyone back but my only problem is Pichu and Young Link. I wish they touched them up a bit to at least make them semi clone status like Wolf or something. At least Link was changed a little bit(But then Young Link is just a Toon Link now)

Also, I don't like that Pokemon trainer is back, I wished they were seperate. I know that it is cool to be able to switch on the fly but I will miss Charizard having a Down B
Eh, they don't really need to be spending more time on those 2 tbh, it's better to keep them like their melee iterations anyway since they're literally only here because of their fans in melee anyway.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
One thing I am thinking about is the fact that the term echo fighters was coined. I doubt they would create the term for just the inclusion of Daisy, in fact I could have sworn he said sometihng about seeing more of them in the future (going to go listen to that part again).

I can't think of any echo fighters to add though...Dixie imo could be a semi-clone like wolf or Lucas but not identical enough to be a Daisy or Lucina. Maybe Isabelle? But I don't want that for her honestly. Ideas?

Zoa

Smash Ace
I didn't attack you at all. I was being rude for sure but I wasn't "attacking" you. I try to be as blunt as possible. It's who I am and I won't apologize for being that way. I do apologize for making you feel attacked, though.

Anyway from the game-play videos I watched Power-shielding seems to occur AFTER you press shield, not before. The way it seems to work appears to be the frame the opponents attack leaves the shield, the shielding player lets go and can immediately act out of shield. I could be wrong since its been a few hours since I looked at it but I'll watch again in a sec.

Tbf they aren't playing it like its Ultimate. They are trying to play it like the Smash games they knew. There is no telling based on how long they have had to work with the game to figure out anything deep. The game may be basically Smash 4. I would say it definately isn't based on everything I've seen so far but we'll see.

Recoveries look hello good, which means some characters that were terrible due to bad recovery have been buffed pretty nicely. Duck Hunt and Little Mac are lookin' good! Maybe R.O.B. too? I'm sure this helped balance the cast a little at least.

Yeah, wavedashing doesn't seem to be a thing really. Oh well.
Whatever then.

All I'm saying is that the game simply has some stuff from Smash 4, just from watching the E3 build alone, that I'm thoroughly unhappy about. Lack of momentum carrying over being one of those. Slow neutral with only a couple of hits, then a reset to neutral after. Strong recoveries with very generous ledge mechanics. And lack of movement in general. The only changes to the game we're aware of, which should lead to less defensive meta, are the nerfed dodges if used repeatedly and directional air dodges. That's a good first step, but not enough in the right direction. I'm aware it takes about two to three years for a meta to really start going. People learn the MUs and get better at the game. We'll see, but my first thoughts about the game leave much to be desired.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero

SmashBoards needs to get into these. Those icons are so CLEAN, and now I cannot stop staring at them.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Has Konami revealed that compilation game yet? Simon could be revealed alongside it. Although it'd be weird that they didn't just have the announcement in the direct if they do it during e3

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
What I really don't get is people are saying it is a port because we have every characters ever in a smash game, what is that logic, like they would consider it at a full smash sequel if we did have cut ?
Remember we had 2 newcomers and there will certainly be more
Every smash used assets from the previous one and in terms of mechanics we have enough to say this is a new game
I don't get it, sincerely

Morbi

Scavenger
One thing I am thinking about is the fact that the term echo fighters was coined. I doubt they would create the term for just the inclusion of Daisy, in fact I could have sworn he said sometihng about seeing more of them in the future (going to go listen to that part again).

I can't think of any echo fighters to add though...Dixie imo could be a semi-clone like wolf or Lucas but not identical enough to be a Daisy or Lucina. Maybe Isabelle? But I don't want that for her honestly. Ideas?
Most characters are not identical enough to be echo characters or clones, and yet they are. So, RIP Dixie, lmfao.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm just glad to see Fourside back! :D

But I miss Snake's *** though.

I expect 5-6 base newcomers, we still have DLC.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
He'll be good if he keeps the ability to do 50% by sweet spotting his tail. Otherwise he might be bad, unless it's really hard to sweetspot his tail in which case he'll be like rosa.
I have a feeling that that tail attack may end up getting a damage nerf in the final release. It may not be able to KO on its own, but a damage output as high as 59.3% during 1-on-1 bouts could result in very cheap follow-up KOs against lighter opponents. And imagine what would happen if Ridley acquired a Super Mushroom; land the sweetspot, and assuming that the Super Mushroom's 1.56x damage multiplier is still present, you'd be talking about 92.508% damage being dealt.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I'm totally being hasty when I say this, but the way the game was played at the invitational made it seem more like Smash 4 2 that an proper successor.

Is there even dashdancing? I'm hearing conflicting things about it

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Okay, given what Sakurai said about newcomers, how many extra newcomers do you expect?
9 more gets us to 75 which is a very nice number so I'm gonna say that. I'm thinking we'll get Dixie, Bandana Dee, a pokemon, a zelda rep, a xenoblade character, isabelle (has she been seen as an assist?), a rhythm heaven character, simon, and a retro rep. I could also see k rool and maybe another 3rd party. I wouldn't be shocked if we got another echo character or 2 as well

Last edited:

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling that that tail attack may end up getting a damage nerf in the final release. It may not be able to KO on its own, but a damage output as high as 59.3% during 1-on-1 bouts could result in very cheap follow-up KOs against lighter opponents. And imagine what would happen if Ridley acquired a Super Mushroom; land the sweetspot, and assuming that the Super Mushroom's 1.56x damage multiplier is still present, you'd be talking about 92.508% damage being dealt.
And what about HomeRun ? Ridley's gonna be OP lol

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
Just a little PSA because I saw some confusion.

When the website says there are 66 characters, there's a little asterisk that says the Pokemon Trainer is counted as one character, and the echo fighters are counted as separate characters.

So, we take Ridley's number, 65, subtract two for Pokemon Trainer, then add three for Lucina, Dark Pit, and Daisy. We got 66 fighters, it's not a leak or a mistake.

You wanna know what is a mistake? Olimar's page calls him "Olimer" in the background text.

EDIT (the proof):

1528848479567.png

Last edited:

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Also, am I the only one who noticed when Peach pummels, Toad pummels with her. Just thought that was a cute addition.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
What do people think of the speed of the game? It looks to me that fall speed is about the same as 4 (pretty slow), but that there were actual combos. Was hitstun increased?

D

Deleted member

Im so confused.

I not convinced Simon Belmont is in. This screams "Chorus Kids" or "Chrom" to me.

The only thing that makes me not so pessimistic over that is the "66 fighters" thing which brings another subject......................are those all the newcomers we are getting?

Like, that's it? Just 4? Are they gonna put newcomers as DLC? are we even gonna get DLC with such a massive ro-ah who am i kidding we are gonna get DLC for this game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

SmashBoards needs to get into these. Those icons are so CLEAN, and now I cannot stop staring at them.
Ooh these look great! I think I might design some custom icon's based off these for some of my wanted characters.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Iridium

Smash Hero
Also, am I the only one who noticed when Peach pummels, Toad pummels with her. Just thought that was a cute addition.
Nope! At least Toad can do other things besides being used as a shield. Captain Toad rumors, however. That dream for now is just dead.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Trinen said that they weren't revealing everything about the game before this reveal.

Can you guys please stop thinking this is it?

The only thing we have about reveals that can be perceived as negative is Sakurai saying ''I hope you're not expecting too many newcomers." Which could mean we get a very low amount or he could just be simply saying ''Don't expect me to pull off the number I did with Brawl and Wii U/3DS's increases."

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I could see funky kong being one, just give him a fun idle and taunts like daisy got and it'll be fine, I could see medusa tbh, galacta knight, many Fire emblem characters. And I think Blood falcon could definitely happen, I feel like it will.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Im so confused.

I not convinced Simon Belmont is in. This screams "Chorus Kids" or "Chrom" to me.

The only thing that makes me not so pessimistic over that is the "66 fighters" thing which brings another subject......................are those all the newcomers we are getting?

Like, that's it? Just 4? Are they gonna put newcomers as DLC? are we even gonna get DLC with such a massive ro-ah who am i kidding we are gonna get DLC for this game.
These aren't the only playable characters. There will be many more newcomers after Ridley, Simon, Daisy, and the Inklings.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Trinen said that they weren't revealing everything about the game before this reveal.

Can you guys please stop thinking this is it?

The only thing we have about reveals that can be perceived as negative is Sakurai saying ''I hope you're not expecting too many newcomers." Which could mean we get a very low amount or he could just be simply saying ''Don't expect me to pull off the number I did with Brawl and Wii U/3DS's increases."
It's still not going to be a grand total of 66 characters though probably 68-73

Part of the reason for less newcomers is :younglinkmelee::pichumelee::icsmelee::wolf::snake::pt: All coming ba k

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

I think Dixie could work if her whole "thing" (Lucina's blade, DPs Final Smash) is the hit boxes on her "tail" attacks being different because she uses her ponytail instead. Much rather she'd be a semi-clone but what happens happens

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Wii U/3DS had 21 newcomers before it was all said and done.

Brawl had 18.

Melee had 14.

He's probably simply saying don't expect 20 or so newcomers like the last few games.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I'm thinking 6-7 more at launch, 8 tops, including Echo Fighters.

Ideas
A 3rd Party, probably Simon, maybe Banjo.
K Rool.
Echo Dixie (sadly, better than not at all ).
Elma.
Bandana Dee.
Echo Medusa (of Palutena).
1-2 more that don't immediately come to mind, hopefully Wonder Red and Henry Fleming.

I don't expect Pokemon, Zelda, or FE newcomers in the base game now.

I also think the roster order will be based on when they debuted in Smash instead of being organized by series and original game release. Seems like it, anyway. Seems much easier than putting too much thought into it.

Time to update my prediction roster.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think Dixie could work if her whole "thing" (Lucina's blade, DPs Final Smash) is the hit boxes on her "tail" attacks being different because she uses her ponytail instead. Much rather she'd be a semi-clone but what happens happens
Dixie turning around to hit with her ponytail would look odd, and that's ignoring the peanuts and the jetpack, I guess they could replace the peanuts with the gumball gun but the jetpack really wouldn't work. Honestly the entirety of Diddy's moveset doesn't mesh with her character at all imo

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Given the formatting of both the website and the amiibo case they showed, there will probably be two more newcomers and that's it. Given that we got everyone back and several of them were reworked, I think that's perfectly fine.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
And what about HomeRun ? Ridley's gonna be OP lol
If the tail special can affect prone targets as well, Ridley could potentially become one of the best fighters to use in Home-Run Contest, though he may have to rely on the Home-Run Bat to send Sandbag packing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom