• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I still maintain Ridley can work in Smash. I guess we'll see where Sakurai stands on the matter in a few months.
Almost any character could work if enough time is invested into them. Honestly, there are characters already on the roster that seemed harder to implement than Ridley. I'm still surprised at how Sakurai got Ivysaur, Luma, and Duck Hunt to work. Seems like most people would've disregarded them from the start.

Last edited:

Arklos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arklos
3DS FC
5455-9619-1086
I know there are plenty of people that don't like Cloud being in Smash because he's never been on a Nintendo console, besides small cameos, but how would you guys feel if Cecil replaced Cloud as the FF rep?
Never been a huge fan of Cecil. Now if Terra replaced him, I'd be ecstatic.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I just realized something. Sakurai hasn tried to design Ridley to work in Smash, yet Roy got his very own design for Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Almost any character could work if enough time is invested into them. Honestly, there are characters already on the roster that seemed harder to implement than Ridley. I'm still surprised at how Sakurai got Ivysaur, Luma, and Duck Hunt to work. Seems like most people would've disregarded them from the start.
I honestly have trouble conjuring a single character that outright couldn't work in Smash, unless they perhaps were immobile or incontrovertibly gargantuan/microscopic.

Maybe I'm overlooking something~

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I honestly have trouble conjuring a single character that outright couldn't work in Smash, unless they perhaps were immobile or incontrovertibly gargantuan/microscopic.
Yeah. When someone tells me Ridley is too big, one of my first thoughts is like..."It's not as though he's Kraid or Andross or something."

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I just realized something. Sakurai hasn tried to design Ridley to work in Smash, yet Roy got his very own design for Smash.
Do we know if he ever attempted Ridley at all? I believe he's just initially dismissed the idea previously.

I really don't think a redesign would even be necessary for him to look fine. (Especially after playing Bagan's Classic Ridley mod.)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I would be very upset if Miis didn't return, they're so fun to play around with.

Remove weight/height stats and custom moves, replace them with more classes with specific stats. I'd be so happy.

Imagine a Mii Caster (like Zelda), or a Mii Trapper (like Snake), etc;

There could be many fun and unique variants of the Mii fighters.

This way you still have the customization of your Mii and chosen cosmetics, with a wider variety of playstyles due to the additional classes, not to mention it would allow them to be tourney legal without any hiccups.

This added variety also helps the single player/co-op modes, as whenever you encounter Fighting Mii Team you aren't pitted against the same three enemy types.
Miitopia's existence gives a lot of inspirations for possible Mii movesets.

Though I think they should do what I thought Miis should be in the first place and take inspiration from the games where they're the main characters like Wii Sports, Wii Play ,Wii Party, Miitomo, the Streetpass games and of course, Miitopia.

Last edited:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
That's an interesting point, I'm actually curious to see what they will do with Ganondorf seeing as how he was absent from BOTW and we already know Link's design is being updated to match his BOTW appearance and I'm going to say Zelda will probably also be updated to her BOTW design.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I would be very upset if Miis didn't return, they're so fun to play around with.

Remove weight/height stats and custom moves, replace them with more classes with specific stats. I'd be so happy.

Imagine a Mii Caster (like Zelda), or a Mii Trapper (like Snake), etc;

There could be many fun and unique variants of the Mii fighters.

This way you still have the customization of your Mii and chosen cosmetics, with a wider variety of playstyles due to the additional classes, not to mention it would allow them to be tourney legal without any hiccups.

This added variety also helps the single player/co-op modes, as whenever you encounter Fighting Mii Team you aren't pitted against the same three enemy types.
I hated miis more than any other anticipated newcomer initially. Then I warmed up to them, because their moveset/classes of gunner, swordsman, fighter were actually done well, with different custom moves and heights/weights too.

But they gotta be executed better. Not being able to use even a default Mii online made them the most forgettable characters in smash history.

I also want to see a wizard/caster Mii class greatly.

Oh, another random, unrelated point: Give Ganondorf his HW costume or I won't use him again. I can forgive the moveset, but I NEED that awesome costume.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Do we know if he ever attempted Ridley at all? I believe he's just initially dismissed the idea previously.

I really don't think a redesign would even be necessary for him to look fine. (Especially after playing Bagan's Classic Ridley mod.)
While I'm sure Sakurai has at least thought of what Ridley could do in a moveset, I always thought the way Ridley hangs onto the ledges in Pyrosphere was strange and out of place. Seemed like it was Sakurai doing a small experiment with Ridley to see what he would look like if he were playable.

Actually, what if that's what Pyrosphere Ridley was? An experiment of sorts so Sakurai could familiarize himself with the model and design.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let’s talk Miis. They’ve had some games since Smash 4 of decent success (Tamodatchi Life and Miitopia)

Do you see Miis returning?

Do you see them getting more movesets based on recent games?
I can see Miis coming back for Smash Switch. I am not thrilled about that... but I am thrilled to see what Mii costumes they will have.

Personally I always wanted the Wandering Heroes from StreetPass Mii Plaza: Find Mii I & II to be their own characters ever since the Find Mii stage was confirmed on December 3, 2013.

T-Hell

Smash Lord

His behavior and functionality in Smash4 definately seems like he experimented with him, and he made him as nearly playable-looking as he could.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I need some help with my prediction roster. I see a lot of people “say this will be this games retro character” but I think there is more to it. I think sakurai adds a “retro gadget character” ie G&W-handhelds, ROB-robot toy, and Duckhunt-Zapper. So I’m wondering, what retro gadget and associated character will make it in smash 5?

Side note: are any characters linked to the power glove?

D

Deleted member

Now that the Inklings have been revealed, what potential additions could classify as a megaton addition, a character that could for the lack of a better word, break the Internet? E3 is coming up and I'm certain that we'll get a megaton announcement like we did in 2013, 2014, and 2015 that isn't the Inklings.

I could see King K. Rool falling under one if he is as popular as his supporters say, but if not him, then I'm betting on a third-party like the last three times. I'm betting Bomberman but Steve from Minecraft wouldn't surprise me either.
The thought has passed me before as we all know Sakurai likes to try and push the boundaries as much as possible, but for me that'd be the absolute worst case scenario. As a stage hazard you see him everytime you play the stage (granted Pyrosphere was an awful stage that I turned off almost immediately), as a standard boss you saw him every time you did Boss Battles or Subspace Emissary, twice even, if he's turned into what is essentially a boss character he'd just be part of some gimmicky mode that most of us wouldn't play beyond a handful of times. Furthermore, if it'd be a mode that would return in future installments Ridley would forever be locked as a gimmick, which would be awful as when a new director eventually has to take over Ridley would otherwise be granted a bit of hope with that. Make him a proper character or don't make him playable at all.

For the record I don't really think that's what the "leak" was referring to, it doesn't seem like Vergeben has been told any details at all, just that Ridley is playable. If we are to give the leaks the benefit of the doubt then I doubt a special mode would be one of the first pieces of information to leak, after all Ridley is the only character to feature in any sort of notable leaks so far (allegedly alongside Inklings in the Jonneh leak). It's just a joke, like the thousand of other size jokes about him.
That is a good point, it would have to be something that people are frequently going to see. But to be fair, I'm sure if Sakurai were to go the non-traditional route, he'll make to where people will frequently access Ridley. I can see event match Ridley getting more than several attempts simply because the next game would use multiple difficulty mode, each one of course getting harder. Of course that's just one idea and I'd suspect Sakurai would go in a route we're not thinking of.

As for the Vergeben leak, it's true we didn't learn anything else from the leak but it's mostly what isn't being told that makes me suspicious. Remember that credible leakers are not going to list the whole character roster because often times, they're not going to know everything. Not even Gematsu had the entire roster for example. Also, using Gematsu against, leakers can also be very subtle about information they do share. The first leak Sal Romano gave us disguised itself as a prediction. That's why I think the Vergeben leak, if it is true, hints as something most of us are not thinking about.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Now that the Inklings have been revealed, what potential additions could classify as a megaton addition, a character that could for the lack of a better word, break the Internet? E3 is coming up and I'm certain that we'll get a megaton announcement like we did in 2013, 2014, and 2015 that isn't the Inklings.

I could see King K. Rool falling under one if he is as popular as his supporters say, but if not him, then I'm betting on a third-party like the last three times. I'm betting Bomberman but Steve from Minecraft wouldn't surprise me either.
I don't think there's a first party character that'll break the internet so to say, I think Ridley would draw the strongest reaction from the Smash fanbase, but he doesn't have the same kind of reach outside of it.

The third party character I can think of that would make the internet go the most crazy is Banjo-Kazooie, not just because he'd get into Smash, but it'd effectively revive a series that was a huge part of a lot of people's childhood and that's been mishandled incredibly badly since it's last real game. It'd also send out a pretty strong signal of Nintendo and Microsoft cooperating, of course there's already some crossplay functionality between them for certain games, but this would really cement them as straight up partners, and it'd also leave Sony in a bit of an awkward spot.

I don't think it's very likely it'll happen mind you, but it'd get an insane reaction, probably the strongest since Sonic.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Outside of iconic third-party characters like Crash and Lara Croft, a ballot runner up would logically be hype. I mean, if they scored that high, then logically they would be the ones to hype the silent majority.

I don't think it's very likely it'll happen mind you, but it'd get an insane reaction, probably the strongest since Sonic.
I don't think any video game character will come close to Sonic in terms of hype and impact. Mega Man didn't and he was the second most requested third party character after Sonic.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
It'd really have to be the mascots of big companies like Crash Bandicoot or a big mainstream character like Geralt of Rivia or Solaire.

I really don't know if anyone that'd actually fit in Smash would be popular enough to have any huge affect any longer.

Ridley and K. Rool would absolutely have a huge reaction from Nintendo fans, but at that point everyone who would care about any of these characters was already interested in Smash in the first place.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Crash and/or Steve are your big megatons left.

Ridley would be a Nintendo only megaton.

D

Deleted member

Characters I Can See Breaking the Internet
  • Master Chief
  • Steve
  • maybe Banjo
  • Sora
  • Snake returning
  • maybe Crash
  • maybe Rayman
I don't expect most of these characters to ever make it in, and I tried to avoid personal biases as much as possible when doing this list.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hey guys I need some help with my prediction roster. I see a lot of people “say this will be this games retro character” but I think there is more to it. I think sakurai adds a “retro gadget character” ie G&W-handhelds, ROB-robot toy, and Duckhunt-Zapper. So I’m wondering, what retro gadget and associated character will make it in smash 5?

Nester from Virtual Boy?

The car from Racing 112?

Power Pad athlete?

.....I don't even wanna say this one... because I think people will jump on this...
Parabô and Satebô, the Satellaview mascots.

https://imgur.com/a/GrvY7

...and yes they were playable in some games for the Satellaview... and featured heavily in related media.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Please, the only character who's allowed to break the Internet is Wreck-It Ralph. Jk

In all seriousness, I'd say some of the characters that'd cause an Internet would be:
Ridley and K. Rool on the Nintendo side, and third-party characters being Geno, Crash, (especially Crash cause Crashboards is gonna happen) Sora (Kingdom Hearts) and maybe someone like Master Chief.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Nester from Virtual Boy?

The car from Racing 112?

Power Pad athlete?

.....I don't even wanna say this one... because I think people will jump on this...
Parabô and Satebô, the Satellaview mascots.

https://imgur.com/a/GrvY7
Please, I jumped on the Parabo and Satebo train since before smash 4.

And wasn't a costume based on Satelleview found in Mario Odyssey?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Please, I jumped on the Parabo and Satebo train since before smash 4.

And wasn't a costume based on Satelleview found in Mario Odyssey?
I wouldn't know.
I just sorta hate these types of characters.
But parabo & satebo are feeling more and more like they just may make it in.
I am warming up to them though.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
For the "break the internet" character i would say Crash, Banjo Kazooie but maybe first and foremost Sora.

If they don't ignore the rules of originating from a videogame completely, then Son Goku would be the obivious one.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Characters that'd feasibly break the Internet, IMO.

Crash Bandicoot
Sora
Lara Croft
Steve
Dragonborn

Add in Master Chief and Chell if you count their cameos in Minecraft and Lego Dimensions. :p

And of course, anyone not originally from a video game would also break the Internet just because of that.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
For the "break the internet" character i would say Crash, Banjo Kazooie but maybe first and foremost Sora.

If they don't ignore the rules of originating from a videogame completely, then Son Goku would be the obivious one.
I don't like the idea of Goku in Smash, but I'm pretty sure most people are in agreement on that one. The only thing that I'd find interesting out of it is if he had the next codex. I can think of humorous scenarios, like one where he mistakes Mewtwo for Frieza. I doubt it'd happen, as most people do, considering that there are plenty of gaming icons they could pick for 3rd party that'd warrant a spot much more than him.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I don't like the idea of Goku in Smash, but I'm pretty sure most people are in agreement on that one. The only thing that I'd find interesting out of it is if he had the next codex. I can think of humorous scenarios, like one where he mistakes Mewtwo for Frieza. I doubt it'd happen, as most people do, considering that there are plenty of gaming icons they could pick for 3rd party that'd warrant a spot much more than him.
Right, i don't really like the idea either even if i like Goku since anyone would basically be possible at that point. I don't even want to imagine all the tons of anime/movie character requests and discussion that would come up for the next game :p

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This is mostly a test to see if the image loads, but these two are Parabo and Satebo

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I’d like Bub and Bob from Bubble Bobble/Bust a Move.

They wouldn’t break the internet, but I think they’d be quite well received.

I think Crono would break the Internet.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Hmmm, a lot of disdain for Miis here.

How would anyone feel for a customizable character creation for Super Smas Bros. similar to other fighting games?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Are there any potential retro character left that represents anything as important as:4gaw::4rob: and:4duckhunt:?
If there was something that was truly symbolic of the Game Boy to a point it would have a costume like Kirby.

But honestly, a tetramino isn’t a good character.

...Paperboy?

If we’re talking overall gaming (since paperboy would be third party anyway) Q Bert and Pitfall Harry also come to mind.

...Not evil Otto though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is mostly a test to see if the image loads, but these two are Parabo and Satebo

these two.

Keep that in a spoiler please...
Crash and/or Steve are your big megatons left.

Ridley would be a Nintendo only megaton.
I agree with these two, I see one as a very iconic gaming character and the other as an iconic yet extremely popular character.
Hmmm, a lot of disdain for Miis here.

How would anyone feel for a customizable character creation for Super Smas Bros. similar to other fighting games?
No. I just want Miis in Smash in Switch, and I am happy. How can I make Spongebob and Anime Character fighters? :troll:
I know people have a lot of dis-dain for the Miis. I do not hate the Miis, I just think the way that they were made was poorly-executed. Even the quick Miis felt slow to play. The Miis really need a buff to help them out, because they are just way too slow to play in a competitive standpoint.
#PutandBuffMiisInSmashSwitch

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

Don't forget Wii Balance Board - Wii Fit Trainer.

It terms of other peripherals and accessories...

NES Satellite or SNES Satellaview
Power Pad
Super NES Mouse
Super Scope (already an item)
N64 Rumble Pak

That's all the more retro ones I can remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom