• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think any video game character will come close to Sonic in terms of hype and impact. Mega Man didn't and he was the second most requested third party character after Sonic.
I wasn't trying to compare it to Sonic, because nothing can compare to that, his reveal was absolutely crazy and will likely remain the peak of Smash hype forever.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Also, would anyone else really love to see a second Yoshi rep as Yoshi and Baby Mario. I know it'd be weird, but seeing as Yoshi is a species it could work having two character that are Yoshi. Give him a more Yoshi's Island design then put Baby Mario on his back and have a moveset based around all the games in that series rather than the 'Mario's companion' Yoshi we have now.

Otherwise, Woolly Yoshi, I guess.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I don't honestly think any Yoshi rep would really fit in the game.. however if there were one I think it'd probably be Kamek and/or Baby Bowser, just because they're the only other characters that take any real role in the games.

I don't think there's anything Yoshi + Baby Mario would do that regular Yoshi doesn't already/couldn't do normally.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
You know... I'd love Shyguy to be a playable... I know he might not be significant, relevant to any story or so-on-so popular. But heck would Shyguy be a cool addition.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Also, would anyone else really love to see a second Yoshi rep as Yoshi and Baby Mario. I know it'd be weird, but seeing as Yoshi is a species it could work having two character that are Yoshi. Give him a more Yoshi's Island design then put Baby Mario on his back and have a moveset based around all the games in that series rather than the 'Mario's companion' Yoshi we have now.

Not too fond of the idea of slapping Baby Mario on Yoshi's back for the sake of having a callback to how the Yoshi's Island games worked. I don't think there's anything that can accomplish that Yoshi already couldn't.

In terms of more Yoshi reps, my vote goes to either Kamek or Baby Mario as his own character. Kamek would make for an interesting moveset, what with his magic and minion summoning and all, and Baby Mario could be armed with his hammer from Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

As others have stated, I think Kamek would be the more unique and representative character to use. I do not think Baby Mario would be that great and also would be represent Yoshi if he were to draw from the Mario & Luigi series to exist. Aside form Kamek you do not really have any other Yoshi characters, aside from maybe Poochy, but I would like to see him and the poochy-pups to appear as an Assist Trophy as that would better represent them, I think.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Absolutely everything points to it being a new game.

I can definitely see it being based mostly off Smash U, however I personally no longer believe there's any chance of it not being a new main title.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm actually a big fan of Baby Mario, I've been playing as him in Mario Spin-offs for pretty much as long as I can remember so having him in Smash would be a dream come true

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Absolutely everything points to it being a new game.

I can definitely see it being based mostly off Smash U, however I personally no longer believe there's any chance of it not being a new main title.
I agree. Any one who says that this game is a port or not a new entry really needs to show a good reason why Sakurai, an incredibly talented game designer, creator and producer would take more than 2 years to port over a WiiU game to the Switch. It makes no sense.

I think this game will be just as much of a sequel as any of the other Smash games. I mean they may reuse the physics engine or whatever, but I could see them going for a different art style to match the mood they set with the reveal trailer. Plus, we will have new characters and we already see veterans like Link having different designs.

The Smashboards poll even shows that over 60% of people here think it is at least very likely that this is a new game, and nearly 36% of us figure it is guaranteed.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
You know... I'd love Shyguy to be a playable... I know he might not be significant, relevant to any story or so-on-so popular. But heck would Shyguy be a cool addition.
A Shy Guy would be fun to control; there's tons of variants to pull moves from. I can see Fly Guy being an obvious up special, and Spear Guy could get a special too.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
A Shy Guy would be fun to control; there's tons of variants to pull moves from. I can see Fly Guy being an obvious up special, and Spear Guy could get a special too.
You could use the Snifit attack as his Side-B or Neutral-B as well. I mean, they are basically a Shy Guy wearing a different mask.

D

Deleted member

I'm actually a big fan of Baby Mario, I've been playing as him in Mario Spin-offs for pretty much as long as I can remember so having him in Smash would be a dream come true
I like Baby Mario, but I do not want him in Smash at all. Seeing a baby beat his future-self is honestly really dumb and it would mess up Mario where he is and time itself. Also you can say that "we beat up puppies", but beating up a baby that is not even an adult is just as bad. I do not want Baby Mario and Baby Luigi in Smash Brothers. I would rather have them as Assist Trophies.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I like Baby Mario, but I do not want him in Smash at all. Seeing a baby beat his future-self is honestly really dumb and it would mess up Mario where he is and time itself. Also you can say that "we beat up puppies", but beating up a baby that is not even an adult is just as bad. I do not want Baby Mario and Baby Luigi in Smash Brothers. I would rather have them as Assist Trophies.
Uhm... Young Link?

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Hey guys I need some help with my prediction roster. I see a lot of people “say this will be this games retro character” but I think there is more to it. I think sakurai adds a “retro gadget character” ie G&W-handhelds, ROB-robot toy, and Duckhunt-Zapper. So I’m wondering, what retro gadget and associated character will make it in smash 5?

Side note: are any characters linked to the power glove?
I can't really think of any you didn't mention outside Labo which has been discussed at length and wii balance board which has Wii Fit Trainer. I can't think of any characters associated with the power glove but... wouldn't it be rad if Master Hand wore it? I think I'd lose my mind.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
How would people be with Mrs. Game & Watch as an Alt or clone character?

I mean, with all female & male alts Smash got now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When the **** has the Super Smash Bros. series, or Mario for that matter, cared about canon to that extent
Time is a lot more fragile than you think....
Also puppies beating each other up is bad enough already, but it is just as bad as beating up puppies or maybe even worse when babies get kicked and stabbed. Also Duck Hunt is not a puppy... he is a dog. Isabelle is a dog as well.
You can want to have Baby Mario and Baby Luigi, I am not going to force you to stop. It is just in my opinion, I do not think Baby Mario and Baby Luigi should get in Smash for the Switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
How would people be with Mrs. Game & Watch as an Alt or clone character?

I mean, with all female & male alts Smash got now.
It'd honestly feel pretty contrived, since he's gone this long without an alt like that.

Plus Mr. Game & Watch is already non-canon to the Game & Watch games, what with him being an amalgamation of em all. No need to dig the hole deeper.

Also puppies beating each other up is bad enough already, but it is just as bad as beating up puppies or maybe even worse when babies get kicked and stabbed. Also Duck Hunt is not a puppy... he is a dog. Isabelle is a dog as well.
Beating up grown-up dogs is still just as heinous of a crime as beating up puppies.

I'm not sure you have a solid grasp at what I'm getting at. Baby Mario is a cartoon character, and him being playable in a cartoon fighting game would pose zero issues. Liberties have already been taken with Duck Hunt; Baby Mario is not going to get denied a playable appearance in Smash because he is an infant. It's not like his inclusion would be a secret message from Nintendo about child abuse anyway; that's like saying them making Il Piantissimo playable would be them sending a message about racial violence.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Beating up grown-up dogs is still just as heinous of a crime as beating up puppies.

I'm not sure you have a solid grasp at what I'm getting at. Baby Mario is a cartoon character, and him being playable in a cartoon fighting game would pose zero issues. Liberties have already been taken with Duck Hunt; Baby Mario is not going to get denied a playable appearance in Smash because he is an infant. It's not like his inclusion would be a secret message from Nintendo about child abuse anyway; that's like saying them making Il Piantissimo playable would be them sending a message about racial violence.
I know beating up grown-up dogs is just as bad as beating up puppies. But Baby Mario just adds on to the violent toll too. He will probably get denied in Smash because he is an infant, and he is just not worth it. His move-set potential is just "meh". Sure he can use baby stuff, but that is it. Baby Mario and Baby Luigi in Smash Brothers would be weird in my opinion.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I know it's not 100% the same, but this is the same company that lets babies being blasted off by regular bombs in a karting game, where they, again are behind the wheel. I do not know if they care about that message.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I know it's not 100% the same, but this is the same company that lets babies being blasted off by regular bombs in a karting game, where they, again are behind the wheel. I do not know if they care about that message.
To be fair Mario Kart has about the same level of cartoon violence as Super Smash Bros.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Oh great, another reason for me to get mad while playing Yoshi's Island. So you can drive a motorcycle but you can't get out of a bubble? And now your'e in a fighting game? Starting to get the impression you're just using Yoshi for the free ride.

Jokes aside I'm not really into younger versions of other characters being in smash bros. Young Link and Pichu are probably my least favourite melee characters. Plus that would make three different versions of Mario if they left Doc in there so It's gonna be a no from me.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
I missed the music discussion from earlier. One song I definitely want in the game is this one:

Actually, just put the entire XC2 soundtrack into the game.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Megaton reveals would be Ridley and K.Rool for Nintendo. As for 3rd parties.. Banjo Kazooei, Crash or Solaire.
Also Paper Mario should be a priority over Baby Mario, just saying.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
For "breaking the internet" I don't think there's TOO many left. Snake and Sonic had the biggest impact. Mega Man was hype(more hype if you ask me, but whatever)Pac-Man too, Ryu was leaked but still cool, since we didn't know about the inputs I don't think, Cloud was a HUGE deal. Bayo isn't as iconic as the others but is still pretty popular for a newer character.

- Bomberman won't have the same impact as Mega Man and Sonic I feel.
- Simon Belmont I think has the best chance. He's regarded as one of the classics.
- Bill from Contra: So many other Konami characters to choose from.
- Lara Croft makes sense, but I don't know if Japan gives a **** about her like we do in the US.
- Sub-Zero/Scorpion would be REALLY COOL if they are revealed with Ryu, but again Japan likely doesn't care.
- Crash might be a good choice too.
- Spyro is a little less popular than Crash, but maaaaaybe.
- Layton is fairly low key compared to them. Same with Phoenix Wright.
- Shantae and Shovel Knight might be too "indie".
- Jin/Heihachi/Kazuya: Despite Tekken selling better than SF and MK overall(though MK is catching up)I don't know if the average Joe would care. Not to mention the split between which Mishima gets in.
- Jill Valentine: I dunno if we'd get a 3RD Capcom character. Knowing Capcom, they'd make it Morrigan.
- Banjo and Kazooie are owned by Microsoft, could be tricky to get them.
- Terry Bogard: Probably will never happen, but it'd be sick.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Just wanted to mention because I didn't see anyone else:

If you want a character who'd break the internet, I think after Steve and Dovakiin, the next biggest would be the Chosen Undead

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Are there any potential retro character left that represents anything as important as:4gaw::4rob: and:4duckhunt:?
Some of these might not be exactly what you're asking for, but:

Someone such as Lip could represent the SNES one-offs in the same way the Ice Climbers represented the NES one-offs.
One of the Teleroboxer characters could represent the Virtual Boy lineup, if they felt daring enough to do that.
Disk-kun/Diskun could represent the Famicom Disk System and possibly its lineup.
Someone like Stanley from Donkey Kong 3 or the eponymous Sheriff could represent Nintendo's 70s to early 80s arcade period.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Breaking the internet? Yes, I know that any 4th Party choices would indeed break the internet... but come on, the one and only that would be out of this world might be Mickey bloody Mouse of the 4th party. One could say Goku, Shrek or Spongebob, but come on, those where trolls choices that got on our radar... Mickey? That would be a surprise out of this world.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Newcomers that would make the most waves? Honestly I think Waluigi's meme status would have more people than you might think talking both positively and negatively. Even more divisive would be Sans I don't even want to know what would happen if he got in.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Pretty much any western game character has the potential to break the internet, increasingly so if the character is owned by another console company.

Also fourth party would break the internet, not a positive way, but it would.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I never really liked the Baby Mario idea. This ain't Mario Kart. At least Paper Mario has a very unique gimmick to him and him alone.

Not sure how Toad would exactly, other than being really fast with weak jumps. Because I imagine borrowing from the NSMB games giving him the Propeller Hat and having pull turnips like Peach are a couple moves you'd have to give him.

Side note, "4th party" is kind of unnecessary to say. Even someone like Spider-Man or Goku is still 3rd party since they aren't owned by Nintendo.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I do hope that if this installment has DLC, there's a discounted season pass(with each character being released per month or two) along with it. The DLC last game IMO was overpriced and the lack of discounted bundles didn't help.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I do hope that if this installment has DLC, there's a discounted season pass(with each character being released per month or two) along with it. The DLC last game IMO was overpriced and the lack of discounted bundles didn't help.
I agree. I was more than happy to pay for DLC characters, but being able to save some money and pay for a character season pass would be a nice option. However, I do understand that Sakurai and his team put a lot of effort and value on each individual character they create, so at the same time I do understand the price that they put on individual characters as it was not something that everybody would be buying.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm all but fed up with the baby characters in Mario Kart.

So I'd much prefer if they kept them the heck out of Smash.

______

Tbh, I think Ridley would seriously break the Internet at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom