• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
Cuts, I really wouldn't mind seeing some of the Fire Emblem Characters cut, with my first pick being Lucina.
I of course understand the Fire Emblem fans would be hurt, but I find these characters so boring and samey. Corrin and Robin are the only ones that bring something different to the table, but I really don't see Lucina as being needed.

Beside that, Mii Fighters and Wii Fit Trainer I could see being cut for obvious reasons. Maybe Shulk as he isn't relevant anymore and Cloud and Ryu.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Cuts? I'd prefer not to but if you ask me...
:4wendy: I dunno, it just feels like Sakurai is trying too hard to add female characters and is forcing them on us. Don't need to remove Bowser Jr. and the other Koopalings, just her so it doesn't feel like "diversity" is being forced :/
:4mario: I think it's time we recognize Mario as a full blown Doctor. He may have left college during Brawl but it's clear he dedicated himself during Smash for 3DS and Wii U so I think calling him just "Mario" is a bit disrespectful since he has a PhD now.
:4pacman: I don't like the fact he has his hand in his stock icon, it ruins any sort of consistency in the roster and I don't think they can change this because it's integral to his character so the only way to fix this is by removing him conpletely.
:4samus: I still don't know what was up with Sakurai when he decided to add Halo, that game was never on a Nintendo console, and the unreleased DS game doesn't count. I want a roster with jusf Nintendo characters, if I want to play as Halo I'll play PlayStation AllStars
:4fox::4falco::4dk::4diddy::4duckhunt: Please stop feeding the furries' fetishes
Well played, you almost had me going there.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Cuts? I'd prefer not to but if you ask me...
:4wendy: I dunno, it just feels like Sakurai is trying too hard to add female characters and is forcing them on us. Don't need to remove Bowser Jr. and the other Koopalings, just her so it doesn't feel like "diversity" is being forced :/
:4mario: I think it's time we recognize Mario as a full blown Doctor. He may have left college during Brawl but it's clear he dedicated himself during Smash for 3DS and Wii U so I think calling him just "Mario" is a bit disrespectful since he has a PhD now.
:4pacman: I don't like the fact he has his hand in his stock icon, it ruins any sort of consistency in the roster and I don't think they can change this because it's integral to his character so the only way to fix this is by removing him conpletely.
:4samus: I still don't know what was up with Sakurai when he decided to add Halo, that game was never on a Nintendo console, and the unreleased DS game doesn't count. I want a roster with jusf Nintendo characters, if I want to play as Halo I'll play PlayStation AllStars
:4fox::4falco::4dk::4diddy::4duckhunt: Please stop feeding the furries' fetishes
I had the biggest sigh of relief when I saw the Mario icon and realized you weren't actually serious.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Also has anyone discuss about what could the new Smash Bros Switch title might be?

This is just a mere guess based on me checking Thesaurus by typing "fight"... and from the terms I saw... Brawl and Melee were there...

So here are other terms that I think can fit for a title:
Affray
Battle Royal
Clash
Conflict
Duel
Feud
Fracas
Riot

Rumble
Strife<<<<<<<<My most fav pick
Tiff

The strike though are the ones that I don't think it will be good... bold are the ones I think it's highly possible...
So,
Super Smash Bros Clash... Super Smash Bros Fracas.... Super Smash Bros Riot... Super Smash Bros Strife... all sound pretty good to me
I could see Strife or Clash working, but kinda funny since you used the word, but Super Smash Bros. Strike also sounds kinda cool. I wonder if they might actually move away form words relating to a Melee, Brawl or fight and try some other type of subtitle though.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Beside that, Mii Fighters and Wii Fit Trainer I could see being cut for obvious reasons.
I don't think we will see the WFT cut anytime soon. She perfectly represents the Wii era of the consoles. If she gets cuts because the Wii era is over, so should be Mr. Game and Watch since the G&W era is over as well.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Here's the five characters I'd cut (from least likely to most likely).

:4lucas::4feroy::4drmario::4lucina::4darkpit:

Based on the cuts from previous games, newcomers and clones are usually the only ones to go. Since I hate the idea of cutting a unique character from the roster, I settled for five clones getting cut instead of someone like Corrin or Cloud. Hurts me to cut Lucas, but it would be very unfair and hypocritical of me to cut Roy and Lucina without acknowledging that he could possibly get cut as well. He already got cut once, so who's to say it couldn't happen again?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Sorry for such a late response, but here.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-43-2017-oct-23-oct-29.3159/

Switch version is ranked at 35. After only four weeks, both versions of FEW were being outsold by MK8D, ARMS, 1-2-Switch, New Leaf, and even MK7, a game that was over 6 years old. Sales were much kinder in NA and EU, despite the game launching one week away from Odyssey.
That's not really what I asked for, though. That's just raw sales data. Saying it "underperformed" implies Nintendo had a certain expectation and Warriors sold below that.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Also has anyone discuss about what could the new Smash Bros Switch title might be?

This is just a mere guess based on me checking Thesaurus by typing "fight"... and from the terms I saw... Brawl and Melee were there...

So here are other terms that I think can fit for a title:
Affray
Battle Royal
Clash
Conflict
Duel
Feud
Fracas
Riot

Rumble
Strife<<<<<<<<My most fav pick
Tiff

The strike though are the ones that I don't think it will be good... bold are the ones I think it's highly possible...
So,
Super Smash Bros Clash... Super Smash Bros Fracas.... Super Smash Bros Riot... Super Smash Bros Strife... all sound pretty good to me
I don't think it necessarily has to be the word 'fight'.

I don't really like any of the words remaining. Strife doesn't really have the right connotations either, it's not an all in fight like melee and brawl, it's more of an angry disagreement.

Melee in Japan was called Deluxe, and Brawl was called X if I'm not mistaken. I like the idea of Super Smash Bros V.

Here's the five characters I'd cut (from least likely to most likely).

:4lucas::4feroy::4drmario::4lucina::4darkpit:

Based on the cuts from previous games, newcomers and clones are usually the only ones to go. Since I hate the idea of cutting a unique character from the roster, I settled for five clones getting cut instead of someone like Corrin or Cloud. Hurts me to cut Lucas, but it would be very unfair and hypocritical of me to cut Roy and Lucina without acknowledging that he could possibly get cut as well. He already got cut once, so who's to say it couldn't happen again?
What did I miss? 5 cuts?
:4miisword::4miigun::4miibrawl::4drmario: and one of :4darkpit::4jigglypuff::4lucina:
I prefer no cuts at all but these are the characters I wouldn't care if they were gone.
The original rules of this little game were to cut five characters excluding Miis, Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario. Want to give it another go?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That's not really what I asked for, though. That's just raw sales data. Saying it "underperformed" implies Nintendo had a certain expectation and Warriors sold below that.
Although Nintendo didn't outright say they had a certain expectation for it, I imagine they must have had higher hopes for Japan. They spent far more time advertising FEW in Japan than they ever did overseas, and the game almost sold twice as well in NA.

The original rules of this little game were to cut five characters excluding Miis, Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario. Want to give it another go?
Well, in that case...

:4bayonetta::4ryu::4cloud::4lucas::4feroy:

Focusing on DLC this time since the three clones are excluded. Doubt Bayo or Ryu would get cut, but I think the other Nintendo newcomers would take priority.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
:4bayonetta::4cloud::4corrin::4sonic::4wario:
This was really hard but ultimately I just picked the ones I personally enjoy playing the least.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh, I missed that, my bad. I can't think of 5 non-Mii, non clone characters that I'd cut.

D

Deleted member

Although Nintendo didn't outright say they had a certain expectation for it, I imagine they must have had higher hopes for Japan. They spent far more time advertising FEW in Japan than they ever did overseas, and the game almost sold twice as well in NA.
Now you're just assuming things without evidence
This is why I'm glad fans don't decide Smash rosters

Last edited by a moderator:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
If Smash Bros for Switch is developed by HAL, i believe they would bring the Adventure Mode in a Melee style. Yes? Yes?
I wonder how HAL would adapt the newest characters from Brawl and 3DS / Wii U.
HAL understand this?

Could it be possible?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Now you're just assuming things without evidence
Maybe I am, but is there anything that suggests that expectations were met?

There's not going be black and white answers for everything. At least I'm basing my opinions on real sales and numbers instead of spitting out random biased statements without any research to back them up.

D

Deleted member

Hey the deal was 5 cuts, I'd prefer we keep unique movesets, but if someone had to go I would of course pick the ones I don't like
You quoted the wrong part of my post.
But still, all I said is that I'm glad Smash fans don't decide the roster, because if it means getting Sonic cut...

Originality

Smash Journeyman
You quoted the wrong part of my post.
But still, all I said is that I'm glad Smash fans don't decide the roster, because if it means getting Sonic cut...
I just clicked reply and that's what it had.
And sure, but that's only if a 5 cut quota was implemented, I like Sonic being there I just don't like playing him myself.

D

Deleted member

If Smash Bros for Switch is developed by HAL, i believe they would bring the Adventure Mode in a Melee style. Yes? Yes?
I wonder how HAL would adapt the newest characters from Brawl and 3DS / Wii U.
HAL understand this?

Could it be possible?
And why would it be developed by HAL?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think it was pretty obvious what they were thinking with Palutena. You never had to unlock her custom moves and unlike any other character her’s weren’t variations on a theme, she had 12 very different moves from the multiplayer in Uprising.

She was supposed to be the most customizable moveset outside of Miis.

No one plays customs.

So few play Miis.

I’m happy Miis aren’t on people’s cut lists.
I'm more concerned about Palutena's normal attacks, as some of them do suffer from high start-up lag or high ending lag (sometimes even both). Of course, some of Palutena's special moves have problems too, which can include the animation length and the lack of a good FAF point.

Anyway, the idea of custom special moves is good, but having them be tied down by equipment, along with the fact that you can end up getting duplicates while trying to unlock them all, can be among the reasons for their lack of competitive use.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I doubt HAL has the capability to develop the next Smash since they've been working the mobile games, and Kirby.

Plus Sakurai likes Tokyo too much. He hasn't talked about moving so I'm assuming he's still in Tokyo. I doubt he'd want to go back to Yamanashi.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'd only accept Sonic being cut if Smash Switch ends up being 100% Nintendo, meaning all 3rd Parties are cut.

But even then, its Sonic, and even I'd be pretty upset if he didn't return.

D

Deleted member

I'm more concerned about Palutena's normal attacks, as some of them do suffer from high start-up lag or high ending lag (sometimes even both). Of course, some of Palutena's special moves have problems too, which can include the animation length and the lack of a good FAF point.

Anyway, the idea of custom special moves is good, but having them be tied down by equipment, along with the fact that you can end up getting duplicates while trying to unlock them all, can be among the reasons for their lack of competitive use.
Palutena is really weird: all of her moves are laggy and she doesn't even have the power to make up for it, doesn't help her awful airspeed makes her feel like a rock.
Her moves just feel... Disconnected, like, they all fit her character but they don't come together to form a cohesive fighter.
Her default specials are also all kinds of janky: counter is slow and announces itself, not to mention it doesn't reduce halt her fall iirc; warp is slow compared to Mewtwo's; reflector is kind of just there; and auto-reticle is all sorts of wrong.

I don't want to see her go, because I really like her moveset, they just meed to REALLY rework her balance.
And also, change her defaults: Lightweight and Jump Glide are two musts imo.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Protip: don't insult others for no reason. If you can't back up your argument without them, then it's not that solid.
Don't know why you quoted that part of my post and said I was insulting someone. I was only referring to myself in that statement. It wasn't secretly directed at someone, and if you thought it was, sorry it came across like that.

Look, this is all I know. Out of every Switch game released in 2017, FEW sold the worst. It was beaten by Pokken, a port of a Pokemon game that already had mixed reviews, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, an incredibly niche game that wasn't even on the market for a month before selling a million copies. You're absolutely right when you say my argument isn't solid. I can't prove that Nintendo considered FEW to underperform. Heck, maybe they were thrilled with these numbers; I don't know. But based on my own opinion - an opinion that is far from being absolute - it seems like these are the numbers of a game that underperformed.

Not trying to argue here, nor am I trying to belittle FEW. Just seems like you're upset at me for accusing FEW of possibly being unsuccessful in any way.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I doubt HAL has the capability to develop the next Smash since they've been working the mobile games, and Kirby.

Plus Sakurai likes Tokyo too much. He hasn't talked about moving so I'm assuming he's still in Tokyo. I doubt he'd want to go back to Yamanashi.
I was just looking up HAL Laboratory to see how many staff members they have (157 compared to Bandai Namco Entertainment's 900) and learnt that HAL Laboratory got it's name because "each letter put them one step ahead of IBM", as in, H comes before I, A comes before B and L comes before M. That is a really fun fact.

Arklos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arklos
3DS FC
5455-9619-1086
Maybe I am, but is there anything that suggests that expectations were met?

There's not going be black and white answers for everything. At least I'm basing my opinions on real sales and numbers instead of spitting out random biased statements without any research to back them up.
Nintendo might not have said anything, but Koei Tecmo was pleased with the amount it sold.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2017/10/28/koei-tecmo-extremely-happy-switch-game-sales/

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Palutena is really weird: all of her moves are laggy and she doesn't even have the power to make up for it, doesn't help her awful airspeed makes her feel like a rock.
Her moves just feel... Disconnected, like, they all fit her character but they don't come together to form a cohesive fighter.
Her default specials are also all kinds of janky: counter is slow and announces itself, not to mention it doesn't reduce halt her fall iirc; warp is slow compared to Mewtwo's; reflector is kind of just there; and auto-reticle is all sorts of wrong.

I don't want to see her go, because I really like her moveset, they just meed to REALLY rework her balance.
And also, change her defaults: Lightweight and Jump Glide are two musts imo.
That's kind of among the reasons why I worked on modifying her moveset. There's not much I could do for Autoreticle and Reflect Barrier though, since they won't perform properly if their animation length gets modified in any way.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Another question is HAL company know to make 3D models for the 3rd party characters, particularly Megaman (which have a new design from Megaman 11).

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'd only accept Sonic being cut if Smash Switch ends up being 100% Nintendo, meaning all 3rd Parties are cut.

But even then, its Sonic, and even I'd be pretty upset if he didn't return.
Don't see why Sonic would ever leave Smash. Like you said, practically all third-parties would have to get cut before I'd expect him to go.

Nintendo might not have said anything, but Koei Tecmo was pleased with the amount it sold.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2017/10/28/koei-tecmo-extremely-happy-switch-game-sales/
I remember reading that. The statement was referring to all of their Switch games, not just FEW (and honestly, it was a little misleading for Nintendo Enthusiast to name the article that and add a picture of FEW at the top).

Regardless, I'm sure KT really was happy with FEW's numbers. It still did better than most of their other Warriors games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Another question is HAL company know to make 3D models for the 3rd party characters, particularly Megaman (which have a new design from Megaman 11).
Why do you keep asking questions about HAL?
And obviously they do since they make Kirby games.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
OOOH, let's try a new challenge then!

Top 5 characters you'd want to get cut if 5 had to get cut, even if they can come back as DLC later. You can't pick Doc, Lucina, Dark Pit, or Miis.

My Top 5:
Lucas
Roy
Jigglypuff
Corrin
Ryu

...That was surprisingly difficult for me.
:4bayonetta::4cloud::4corrin::4shulk::4robinm:
I found this really easy to do.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Why do you keep asking questions about HAL?
And obviously they do since they make Kirby games.
Because Melee only have nintendo characters, although Melee wanted 3rd party characters (correct me if i'm wrong, but Solid Snake and Sonic was planned for Melee?), it was dropped due to time constrains (correct me again). Brawl was the first Smash game where features 3rd party characters. The number of 3rd party characters expanded in 3DS and Wii U versions.

I doubt that HAL understand everything about 3rd party characters.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
HAL is not confirmed being part of the f-ing developement. It's just a trademark as it debuted under HAL. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because Melee only have nintendo characters, although Melee wanted 3rd party characters (correct me if i'm wrong, but Solid Snake and Sonic was planned for Melee?), it was dropped due to time constrains (correct me again). Brawl was the first Smash game where features 3rd party characters. The number of 3rd party characters expanded in 3DS and Wii U versions.

I doubt that HAL understand everything about 3rd party characters.
This makes no sense at all.
Also, why would HAL be the ones working on the game? I asked you this once and you didn't answer.

D

Deleted member

Not sure if Hal Laboratory is developing the game. But regardless whoever the developers are I'm sure they'll so it justice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom