• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Still, just a trademark Roberto. Nothing is confirmed. Not even Bamco! And most likely it's Sora LTD and Bamco which makes it, again.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Still, just a trademark Roberto. Nothing is confirmed. Not even Bamco! And most likely it's Sora LTD and Bamco which makes it, again.
Why would Sora LTD and/or Namco would work in the Smash Bros Switch version?
Do yolu have theories? Speculations?

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
:rosalina::4greninja::4feroy::4sheik::4robinf:

3rd Parties are too easy so I'm ignoring them.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I see.

Do you know that there's enough time to release a Smash game (switch) with 53 characters in 2 years?

Tbh, do you believe that Smash for Switch was developed in 2016 or 2017?

IF 2016: There's more characters than 3DS / Wii U version.
IF 2017: There's much less characters than 3DS / Wii U version.

If the issues are the characters, what would be the modes like Break the Targets, Smash Run and Adventure Mode?

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I honestly can't believe people are STILL talking about cuts. Like, I went to bed, woke up the next day and people are continuing to talking about it.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Just watched the New Infinity War trailer, can you imagine if Thanos made the Smash roster...
"When I'm done, half of *the roster* will still exist... perfectly balanced.. as all things should be."

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Man, I hope a game I make gets in a nindies showcase someday.

Anyways, I think the roster will probably be around 64. Either it will have a ton of cuts to make up for newcomers or have the least amount of newcomers to the series.

Unless they literally just port most of the characters over exactly like they are in smash 4 with little balancing changes, in that case I could see probably coming closer to 70.

Thats crazy, I remember when people were speculating smash 4 would have 45 characters haha

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Do you know that there's enough time to release a Smash game (switch) with 53 characters in 2 years?

It'd be a tremendous waste of time and resources if Sakurai didn't just take the 58 characters from Smash Wii U and modify/redesign them. Regardless of what year it started, there should be plenty of time to add newcomers, especially if the development team is just as large as Smash 4's.

I told you about a major Shovel Knight announcement :troll:

Just kidding, no Smash stuff in indie showcases
At the very least, I expect info on that Shovel Knight amiibo 3-pack. Been wondering when that would release.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

Anyways, I think the roster will probably be around 64. Either it will have a ton of cuts to make up for newcomers or have the least amount of newcomers to the series.

Unless they literally just port most of the characters over exactly like they are in smash 4 with little balancing changes, in that case I could see probably coming closer to 70.

Thats crazy, I remember when people were speculating smash 4 would have 45 characters haha
Imagine the roster getting 69 characters. Betcha there'd be something worth smashing. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I honestly can't believe people are STILL talking about cuts. Like, I went to bed, woke up the next day and people are continuing to talking about it.
It's hard, since some fighters have been considered expendable. If I were to guess, the following could get the boot.

:4darkpit::4lucina::4feroy::4cloud:

Cloud may not be a clone character, but considering how strict Square Enix is with its property, his return is highly questionable at this point in time.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I see.

Not if they ported over a majority of the assets from the Wii U, at the very least for a starting point.

I highly doubt they rebuilt each character from scratch like Smash 4. It seems obvious from all the ports that it’s pretty easy to port Wii U assets over to the Switch. There’s no way they’d be crazy enough to recode every single character from the ground up when they can bring them over from Smash Wii U, at least as a starting point, especially since there’s not THAT big of a power gap between the Wii U and Switch.
If I was a higher up at Nintendo, I wouldn’t even allow them to be funded to rebuild over 50 characters when they don’t have to.

They could put in more work and end up with less characters, leaving fans upset, or they can carry stuff over from Smash Wii U and have room to make more characters.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
A lot of people are talking about the possibility that the Ballot will have an influence on the roster. Because if this, I think it'd be hilarious if Japan's meme pick, Magnemite (I think it was Magnemite), got in as a pokeball, but also got a full blown trailer to tease us.

Like, you see a pokeball get thrown, Magnemite pops out, gets that splash art or whatever Smash 5's equivalent will be, flys around zapping dudes, and just disappears. During all this they nonchalantly show off whatever the new Pokemon rep actually is, but don't make it clear that its the new character. Even better if nothing gets cleared up for awhile, which ends up freaking everyone out, teaching us all a valuable lesson not to meme on Sakurai's ballot.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

If they port assets from the Wii U version, and make minimal cuts, if any at all, I could really see it breaking 70. Brawl and Smash 4’s base game both had 15 unique newcomers.

T-Hell

Smash Lord

Best case scenario, knowing the development time and the little graphical jump between WiiU and Switch, they may have been able to carry the engine over and recycle most stuff so they just had to focus on new things.
Man.. I really hope it's that case, at least when it comes to characters.

?????????????

Smash Master
The "original post" for the cuts is quite a few pages back at this point, so please allow me to reiterate.

A topic formed on the possibility of cuts, sad as they may be, but I was optimistic through DLC, considering how early this game is coming out on the Switch lifespan (assuming), we could eventually get everyone back IF they decided they needed to cut (which I'm not 100% sold on).

So I issued a "challenge" (just meant to be a fun game, which I think almost everyone did really great!) to cut five characters from the current roster, even if they could come back later as DLC.

The only rules were that you couldn't pick Doc, Lucina, or Dark Pit (since they would be easy choices and were only created due to extra time in the first place), and Miis (since it would be easy to count them as three characters).

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's hard, since some fighters have been considered expendable. If I were to guess, the following could get the boot.

:4darkpit::4lucina::4feroy::4cloud:

Cloud may not be a clone character, but considering how strict Square Enix is with its property, his return is highly questionable at this point in time.
Cloud is a weird case. He's one of the more popular DLC characters used online, but SE did practically nothing to support his inclusion in Smash. While unconfirmed, a few people think SE unable to come to an agreement with Nintendo on how much money they would receive from the Cloud amiibo is why it took a year and a half before the last three amiibo got released in stores.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

On a side note, speculating which characters could get cut isn't a bad thing. Even if data gets ported, cuts can very well still happen, and it's good to prepare yourself for anything. Disregarding the chance of certain cuts could set you up for disappointment in the end. Better to expect the worst and be wrong.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The "original post" for the cuts is quite a few pages back at this point, so please allow me to reiterate.

A topic formed on the possibility of cuts, sad as they may be, but I was optimistic through DLC, considering how early this game is coming out on the Switch lifespan (assuming), we could eventually get everyone back IF they decided they needed to cut (which I'm not 100% sold on).

So I issued a "challenge" (just meant to be a fun game, which I think almost everyone did really great!) to cut five characters from the current roster, even if they could come back later as DLC.

The only rules were that you couldn't pick Doc, Lucina, or Dark Pit (since they would be easy choices and were only created due to extra time in the first place), and Miis (since it would be easy to count them as three characters).
Corrin, Roy, Cloud, Bowser Jr, and Charizard.

D

Deleted member

ooooooook I'm gonna go somewhere, tag me when the topic gets changed kthxbye

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I highly doubt they rebuilt each character from scratch like Smash 4. It seems obvious from all the ports that it’s pretty easy to port Wii U assets over to the Switch. There’s no way they’d be crazy enough to recode every single character from the ground up when they can bring them over from Smash Wii U, at least as a starting point, especially since there’s not THAT big of a power gap between the Wii U and Switch.
If I was a higher up at Nintendo, I wouldn’t even allow them to be funded to rebuild over 50 characters when they don’t have to.
Do you think that the Smash 5 would be a port from Wii U?

Also, the only characters that need to be cut are useless clones.

Clones are waste of space, just put Falco (or Wolf) being clone of Fox, Lucina being clone of Marth (or Ike) and Dark Pit being clone of Pit and case closed. Or perhaps, merge the clones into a skinned, specific character.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

The only characters that need to be cut are useless clones.

Clones are waste of space, just put Falco (or Wolf) being clone of Fox, Lucina being clone of Marth (or Ike) and Dark Pit being clone of Pit and case closed.
There are certain characters that should be low priority, but no one "needs" to be cut.

And while I'm not a fan of full-clones, they aren't wasted space. If anything, they're just an insulting way to represent a character that deserves way better.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Clones are waste of space, just put Falco (or Wolf) being clone of Fox, Lucina being clone of Marth (or Ike) and Dark Pit being clone of Pit and case closed. Or perhaps, merge the clones into a skinned, specific character.
Cuts don't happen for no reason. Time runs out and other characters take priority. Clones get in because they're last second, easy to make things. Unique characters get cut because they lost relevance, and the team ran out of time to make them.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You can also not expect cuts and just expect less newcomers than Smash 4's 14-ish
Also, this game could have a smaller dev cycle because there's no great time sucker like Subspace or Smash 3DS was but still have the same amount of new content as Smash WiiU

?????????????

Smash Master
Asking for no clones is like...saying "no" to someone giving you a penny.

It's just kinda there and it's free money that didn't take nearly as much effort to find as a dollar, and since it's free money, you really have no reason to say no to it.

Some people might say "no" to it anyway because they probably won't end up using it, or if they get too many, it takes up a lot of space, but it's still free money that probably took no effort to find and the alternative is literally "nothing."

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

Making a clone an alternate costume wouldn't change much.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
What characters lost relevance? Solid Snake? Ice Climbers?
Mewtwo lost relevance the first time he was cut. Same with Roy. Both were still planned, but other character took priority which is why they didn't make it. If they weren't as popular as they are, they wouldn't have came back for Smash 4.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo lost relevance the first time he was cut. Same with Roy. Both were still planned, but other character took priority which is why they didn't make it. If they weren't as popular as they are, they wouldn't have came back for Smash 4.
And Greninja, when initialy mistaken with Mewtwo?
Do you think that Greninja was popular?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom