• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Then Dr. Mario will look more like a clone of Luigi instead of a clone of Mario haha.
I don't know if i'd go that far, just because I really don't think Mario is going to change much more than a move or two with the pace things are currently going at lol.

I imagine Luigi might get some changes eventually also, although probably not in this game.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Question.

When do you think we'll get our next bit of Smash info?

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I don't care about Lucario's or frame data. I wish Lucario was kinda PM style where he got rewarded for being a good player as opposed to being bad. Although as long as Lucario is okay and gay then I'm okay too!
I have no real issues with their framedata, I just don't like their moveset. It's never really interested me as much as similar characters I suppose.

Question.

E3. No doubt about it.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Spring Man:

Fighting Style: Stretchy Punches

B: Tribolt- Launches 6 spread shots that attack forward and retract.
B>: Boomerang- Launches a long reaching, widespread, retracting punch.
B^: Bounce- Coils up and launches upward with an uppercut. The longer it's charged, the higher he goes.
Bv: Change Arms- Switches between gloves. By default, uses Toaster, which deals Fire damage when delivering normal attacks. Alternate options include Sparky (Electric), Buff (Damage), Chilla (Ice), and Bubb (Knockback).

Final Smash: Rush Attack- A flurry of punches that home in on opponents in front of Spring Man.

...So there's a start.
What do you think of the idea of Sping Man changing arms with side B?

My idea is to to have it so holding left and B changes his left arm and holding right and B changes his right arm that way you could mix and match between arms and aren't just stuck with both arms being the same.

D

Deleted member

:4palutena::4wiifit::4greninja::4bayonetta::4cloud:So we're talking cuts now? Personally I guess would be who'd I'd cut but that's me.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'll play your game.

:4bowserjr::4diddy::4lucas::4duckhunt::4rob:

I'd prefer no cuts, as I'm sure most people would, but if I have to choose, it'd be those guys.

4/5 of these are because I don't personally play the character, nor do I know anyone who does. The 5th one is just because I hate Diddy Kong.

?????????????

Smash Master

My idea is to to have it so holding left and B changes his left arm and holding right and B changes his right arm that way you could mix and match between arms and aren't just stuck with both arms being the same.
Ooooh, I like that a lot! That's awesome!

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I have no real issues with their framedata, I just don't like their moveset. It's never really interested me as much as similar characters I suppose.

E3. No doubt about it.
I meant moveset, not frame data. RIP.

Why not just cycle through with Down B like Monado Arts?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Everyone "expects" cuts, but really, have we ever seen fully original characters get cut next game just for the sake of it?

> Mewtwo / Roy / Dr. Mario cut from Brawl due to time constraints
> Ice Climbers cut from SSB4 due to technical limitations
> Snake cut from SSB4 likely due to Konami being Konami

The ONLY arguments you can make are with the Pokemon Trainer and Wolf. But my take on that is that:

> Wolf was low-priority due to being a last-minute semi clone in Brawl, and Lucas was a more popular pick than him for DLC.
> Squirtle / Ivysaur were low-priority due to Charizard being the most iconic of the trio, and not wanting to dedicate time to reworking all three of them.

They're not going to just cut characters because they're not relevant.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Question.

My birthday E3

While it would be weird to confirm Smash and remain silent until the big event, it serves to build expectation.

D

Deleted member

Question.

I think a direct with information could maybe happen, but the bigger information will come from E3.
I think Nintendo automatically wins E3 again.
My answer is most likely E3, information about the game will not be common as of now.
My birthday E3
Fortunate you! :)
Good night everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Question.

They're gonna play with all our expectations and announce a Direct solely dedicated to Smash like a month before E3.

I can only dream.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I think Miis should be a legitimate option because they have not one, but THREE full blown movesets for each type. They aren't even basic customs, they have so much work put into them >.>
Remember that almost all of their moves are recycled from other characters.

Edit: Also, specials =/= fullblown movesets

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
OOOH I wanna get in on this cutting action!

:4bowserjr::4corrinf::4feroy::4greninja::4tlink:

Take 1 from all the most populated series, and 2 from fire emblem because I like the idea of replacing old FE characters with new ones each game from now on.

andimidna

Smash Master
OOOH, let's try a new challenge then!

Top 5 characters you'd want to get cut if 5 had to get cut, even if they can come back as DLC later. You can't pick Doc, Lucina, Dark Pit, or Miis.

My Top 5:
Lucas
Roy
Jigglypuff
Corrin
Ryu

...That was surprisingly difficult for me.
Want?
Roy would be an easy first pick for me. No attachment to him or his moveset.
Also easily Toon Link in a heartbeat.
I’d keep Lucas because my best friend and doubles partner co-mains him lmao.
Jigglypuff, Ryu, and Corrin are way too interesting for me to pass up on.
Now do I go the petty route and take out characters I hate fighting against like Sonic, Link, Captain Falcon, Cloud, and Ness or go for less interesting or important characters hmm
Maybe even Ike for only really representing his series by existing, and doing very little that’s actually interesting

Roy, Toon Link, Cloud, Sonic, Ike?

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
It's absolutely mind boggling to me that people are cutting characters like Cloud and Ryu when they have some of the most interesting gameplay mechanics in the entire game.

Because, you know, we play Super Smash Bros. We don't just stare at the roster and say, "Wow! What a cool representation of Nintendo...Oh what? You wanted to play? No, I'd rather not. I just want to talk about it and not keep the cool stuff."

Listen, I was super negative toward Final Fantasy when I was a kid, because I was hyper defensive of anything Nintendo. I thought the characters were dumb, that Nintendo was way better, etc... I actually played Final Fantasy VII for the first time just after Cloud got announced. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

More than half the time, the only reason to cut Cloud is because he's not Nintendo.

You wanna know something mind blowing?

:4sonic:ISN'T NINTENDO
:4megaman:ISN'T NINTENDO
:4pacman:ISN'T NINTENDO

What's that you say? They fit into the art style despite the fact that it's a crossover fighting game consisting of characters like an intergalactic bounty hunter and an electric rat? They're important to gaming history? Ah yes, that's a great point. SO ARE :4ryu: AND :4cloud:.

There is literally social/cultural context of the childhood rivalry of :4link:vs. :4cloud:during the 90's. That was a fantasy matchup. The official artwork for Cloud put Link vs. Cloud in it because of the massive rivalry. Cloud is to Link as Sonic is to Mario. Him being in Smash is a big ****ing deal because of it

But no, let's cut him because he's not Nintendo. What a stupid reason to cut a popular character.

I cannot wait until the "Not Nintendo" argument dies.

Better yet, I'll go one step further. I predict he will stay. I don't really care if I'm wrong, but think about it. Why would Sakurai, probably knowing development would be starting on a new game on a new system, ONLY GET the licensing for Cloud...for DLC...for a game...on a dying system?

Again. Toward the end of DLC. For a game on a dying system. Knowing they are making another shortly thereafter.

Honestly, I'm sorry if I seem like a d bag here, but I've had a long day of traveling from Buffalo to Jacksonville for a conference. Not to mention I absolutely hate some of the talking points people use toward particular characters because they're weak and narrow sighted. Frankly, it comes down to fans being salty their subpar character of choice didn't get in when Cloud did, so the only option is to cut the character who had literally nothing to do with the exclusion of their fantasy to spite other people apparently. Goodness gracious.
Well it's a game for cutting characters. Any character in Smash Bros. have importancy, we know that. if they are in Smash, they have their importance. Wow, this is just a game. Why being mad on this? It's like Ryu fans coming over here and try to argument on why cutting him is a bad choice, it's like Lucario fans try to argument why cutting him is bad, its like Palutena fans get here and argument on why cutting her is bad. C'mon dude, don't be mad on this

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'll just type out the Farmer thing again and hopefully it sparks a little more discussion this time.

I mostly just fleshed out Special Moves because I think his/her Aerials and Normals would probably utilize various farming tools and it doesn't take a crazy imagination to get some ideas. Just think of all the things you could do with a sickle, hoe, axe, pitchfork, etc.
For special moves, I think the Farmer could use a couple moves to control the stage. Turn it into his/her farmland, really.

Neutral B is actually the move I had the hardest time establishing. The idea I wound up coming up with is that it's ringing a bell to call a farm animal stampede. It's not a storable charge, which I feel is important to mention ahead of time so you can picture it while you read.

Anywayysssss, here's the abilities.

Neutral B: Stampede! The Farmer rings a bell calling various cattle to charge through the area. Just tapping B will cause an individual cow to run through. But charge it up, and a whole stampede of cows and sheep will come through, covering the surrounding space for a moment. It's really good for demanding space

Side B: Charge! Also a chargable skill that can't be stored. The Farmer hops on their horse and charges forward, going farther and faster based on charge length. Think Ike's side B, but the Farmer can dismount the horse early sort of like Warios bike. Essentially its a hybrid Ike/Wario side B.

Up B: Chicken Glide! A small flock of chickens and ducks pop up around the farmer, giving him a small vertical lift. Most of the chickens and ducks disappear, but the farmer holds onto a chicken above his/her head and glides like Link holding a cucoo in Legend of Zelda. It has great horizontal movement, but mediocre vertical movement. Think DK's up special but there's more lift on the start. The Farmer can drop off early and use actions such as a basic aerial attack.

Down B: Produce! The Farmer plants random seed in the ground. The plant grows over roughly 6 seconds. After 4 seconds, the plant gets some impact-able space. (When I say that, think of trying to walk through Villager's tree, but they're smaller.) When fully grown, the plants bear fruit. The produce can be harvested from the plant and used as a projectile. The damage/knockback is dependent on what produce you grew. While the produce is on the plant, only Farmer can harvest it. If the produce sits on the plant for 6 seconds unattended, it falls off and briefly becomes usable by any character. It disappears much faster than a normal item, however. Farmer can have up to 3 plants at any given moment. Planting a fourth will remove the oldest plant.

Definitely could use some refinement, but I hope you all enjoy what I came up with.

EDIT: @Scoliosis Jones you're the one asking for movesets, so here you go haha :p

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Yea, if we’re talking about the actual roster, I’d expect no cuts except just maybe some of those 4 listed, and I wouldn’t really want any either.
Like I never play Link over Toon Link lmao

Arklos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arklos
3DS FC
5455-9619-1086
It's absolutely mind boggling to me that people are cutting characters like Cloud and Ryu when they have some of the most interesting gameplay mechanics in the entire game.
I don't really see how clouds limit break is all that interesting, there's already a lot of characters that have some sort of charging mechanic.

Ryu's is interesting I'll give you that, I just don't have any attachment to him.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Random thought, I wonder if Sakurai introduced a new Star Fox character he could make them a large character and put them in the Walker. Have Peppy, Slippy and more as characters by simply switching the model inside the cockpit.

Inspiration: Bowser Jr. rides in the Clown Car, why can't other characters have a vehicle?

I feel that if Captain Falcon was introduced in a later game, the Blue Falcon would be incorporated into his moveset way more.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

Top 5 characters you'd want to get cut if 5 had to get cut, even if they can come back as DLC later. You can't pick Doc, Lucina, Dark Pit, or Miis.
*takes out knife*

Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut

:4lucas::4feroy::4corrin::4bayonetta::4tlink:

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I really despise cuts in any form, but if I had to pick:

:4falco::4corrin::4bayonetta::4charizard::4palutena:

Corrin, Bayonetta, Charizard, and Palutena because I don't think they're all that fun to play as.
Falco because I hate Falco, both in Star Fox and Smash.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I know everyone wants Wolf back for a Star Fox character, and there was just the recommendation about the walker, but what are peoples general thoughts on adding another member of Star Fox, like Peppy or Slippy? They've been around forever, I'd like to see them be more than hidden dialogue on a stage.

Freduardo

Smash Champion

Top 5 characters you'd want to get cut if 5 had to get cut, even if they cyan come back as DLC later. You can't pick Doc, Lucina, Dark Pit, or Miis.

My Top 5:
Lucas
Roy
Jigglypuff
Corrin
Ryu

...That was surprisingly difficult for me.
Hmmm...

Toon Link
Corrin
Greninja
Roy
Wii fit

I don’t want to cut any of them.

I even play pretty much all of them. This task was monstrous.

...probably should have cut Bayo, Cotton, and Cloud to rebalance the game....

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
So since all us are assuming that E3 is gonna be a big blow out for the game, what do you guys we will get revealed at E3?

Like number character reveals, game modes, etc

Also think they will do an invitational like for Smash 4 at E3 2014?

?????????????

Smash Master
I know everyone wants Wolf back for a Star Fox character, and there was just the recommendation about the walker, but what are peoples general thoughts on adding another member of Star Fox, like Peppy or Slippy? They've been around forever, I'd like to see them be more than hidden dialogue on a stage.
I'd have a hard time picking one over the other, is the only thing...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If I had to pick another Star Fox character that once again takes Fox's specials and adds an "in-character spin that absolutely makes them the most different" once again, I would choose Peppy. And of course he would have a barrel roll.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So since all us are assuming that E3 is gonna be a big blow out for the game, what do you guys we will get revealed at E3?

Really hoping for a large Brawl-scale trailer where we get newcomer and veteran reveals left and right

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Well I hope we get to see box art for the game. And if the last few games are reflective of what to expect, there could be 12 characters right there. I wouldn't be shocked to see up to 20 characters, though. Maybe with additional details on Inklings and then 2 other Newcomers included in that 20. So 17 veterans and 3 New at E3 is my prediction. I don't really want to predict modes because I'm still scarred from the Wii U modes and don't want to get my hopes up.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I meant moveset, not frame data. RIP.

Why not just cycle through with Down B like Monado Arts?
You wouldn't really be able to mix and match arms if you assign switching arms to one input. Having two inputs would let you properly do that. One input changes one arm and the other input changes the other.

Freduardo

Smash Champion

1) we’ll definitely see the original eight and any changes to their movesets and if there are other costumes like BOTW Link, they’ll be shown here.

2) if there is an adventure mode/SSE, you will see it here.

3) inkling’s unique battle mechanics and a Splatoon Stage.

Anything beyond that I could see saved for a direct or a Smash dojo page.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yea, if we’re talking about the actual roster, I’d expect no cuts except just maybe some of those 4 listed, and I wouldn’t really want any either.
Like I never play Link over Toon Link lmao
I dunno if we’ll get no cuts but I don’t think we’ll more than 2 this game. Dark Pit and Lucina. Probably not even those though, soooooo... Cloud? Licensing problems? Still doubtful.
Ok good. Lucario is the best looking character in the game.
****in furry. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom