• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
The existence of DLC is really reassuring, even if it doesn't mean we get everyone back. I'll still say that the base roster will be around the same thing as Wii U's, maybe slightly more, and then DLC can fill some gaps. And we all know Nintendo is going to push DLC for Smash. Heck, they did it for Wii U.
To be fair, DLC reassured me that Wolf was going to return as well, lo and behold. Still, as you stated, we cannot really expect to get EVERYONE back.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Id rather have cuts where needed and more reps for series that need it.
I do REALLY hope Fire Emblem gets a few cuts outside of Marth/Ike mostly cause I think FE has an insane number of reps for no real reason lol.
(pls dont pitchfork me)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
To be fair, DLC reassured me that Wolf was going to return as well, lo and behold. Still, as you stated, we cannot really expect to get EVERYONE back.
I say "reassuring" as someone who doesn't really have a legitimate investment in a new fighter and is confident his favorite characters will be in the base game. I just wanted Inklings as far as realistic new characters anyways. I'm already content with who will most likely return.

I do REALLY hope Fire Emblem gets a few cuts outside of Marth/Ike mostly cause I think FE has an insane number of reps for no real reason lol.
(pls dont pitchfork me)
Oh goodness if I had a dollar for every comment regarding the FE roster over the past 100 pages... I've certainly fallen into some heated debates about it. Anyways, I'm a Fire Emblem fanboy, played every one released in the States and even played a poorly translated Binding Blade. I would not be shocked or really even disappointed if Corrin was cut. Especially if it meant the work was being put towards a character from a different franchise. Lucina could go too, but since she's a clone I don't really think she would effect anything significant if she came back in her current state.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
OOOH, let's try a new challenge then!

Top 5 characters you'd want to get cut if 5 had to get cut, even if they can come back as DLC later. You can't pick Doc, Lucina, Dark Pit, or Miis.

My Top 5:
Lucas
Roy
Jigglypuff
Corrin
Ryu

...That was surprisingly difficult for me.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
(pls dont pitchfork me)
Honestly, Fire Emblem could definitely use some... Refinement. It obviously has its fans, but holy mackerel. The obvious choices are Roy and Corrin, but that would probably piss off half the fan-base. Albeit, unless Lucina was the only cut, and even then, they would want her as a skin, I doubt they are going to be particularly happy.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I do think some series have more than enough characters and there are characters in smash that idk...feel unnecessary?
Like give more representation to other nintendo series and such.
I think FE is a good example of a series with too many reps. I think a solid 3 are Marth/Ike/Robin. Since all 3 are very different and represent different eras of FE and different fighting styles.

Morbi

Scavenger

Top 5 characters you'd want to get cut if 5 had to get cut, even if they can come back as DLC later. You can't pick Doc, Lucina, Dark Pit, or Miis.

My Top 5:
Lucas
Roy
Jigglypuff
Corrin
Ryu

I would love to see Game and Watch, ROB, Sonic, Pacman, and Olimar gone. The last three merely because I do not have fun playing with them. Nothing against the characters. The first two, yeah, it is personal.

And look at that, none of them are who I usually suggest for a cut-a-rooni. No Greninja here because I actually enjoy him. Just as I love Mewtwo who is my secondary in Smash 4. But hey, one of them is going whether I like it or not.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

My Top 5:
Lucas
Roy
Jigglypuff
Corrin
Ryu

I think Miis should be a legitimate option because they have not one, but THREE full blown movesets for each type. They aren't even basic customs, they have so much work put into them >.>

But to fit the parameters you gave us,
1. Corrin
(Yeesh this is already hard)
2. Roy
3. Jigglypuff, I guess...
4. Wii Fit :'(((((((
5. Bayonetta (even though I respect her inclusion, I'd like to not even have to worry a little bit about those ladder combos. No more "JUST SDI BRO" pls)

O U C H that hurt to come up with.

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I do think the smash roster could use a little bit of refinement mostly in the sense of giving franchises their main reps so there is room for other franchises and such to shine. The main problem with this in relation to smash is many people have REALLY fond attachments to characters so cutting anyone causes a lot of problems, but Id rather there be room for more variety and franchise reps than anything.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh the rage if this was the Smash game that was announced during the Direct (taken from NomComms on Twitter):

Fortunately we are getting a new game instead.
Considering the amount of damage that Smash 3DS could do to the 3DS's Circle Pad, Melee probably shouldn't be remade for the 3DS system.

?????????????

Smash Master
I think Miis should be a legitimate option because they have not one, but THREE full blown movesets for each type. They aren't even basic customs, they have so much work put into them >.>
That's the exact reason I put them against the rules; it would've been an easy out.

Still though, I agree with your last sentiment. Even coming up with 5 in those parameters made me really cringe for my OWN picks.

D

Deleted member

That moment when you realize Melee 3DS wouldn't have the Ice Climbers...
You just put me in a deep mental state.... I never thought about that in real life.

My Top 5:
Lucas
Roy
Jigglypuff
Corrin
Ryu

I want nobody cut, but here would be my list:
1. Wii Fit Trainer
2. Lucas
3. Roy
4. Corrin
5. Jigglypuff
Oh my goodness, that was really difficult. I want no fighters cut at all to be honest.
Considering the amount of damage that Smash 3DS could do to the 3DS's Circle Pad, Melee probably shouldn't be remade for the 3DS system.
This. Also, it would be more awkward, because those fragile little buttons are not fun to play with and they would break.
I also advise against a Melee port to be honest. I say we wait for a Melee port.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Also when it comes to new characters I generally follow a few things...
1. You never know what'll come through that door
2. Smashers will give you crap for saying "This nintendo char that actually has a legit reason to be in even if theyre niche" then beg for someone like Sora so I just ignore most smash players lol
3. You really honestly never know what Sakurai is gonna do.

When it comes to smash 5s roster I do hope that its refined, I think we are reaching almost too many characters at this point and it does feel like some inclusions arent necessary or could be molded with someone else instead.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
That's the exact reason I put them against the rules; it would've been an easy out.

Still though, I agree with your last sentiment. Even coming up with 5 in those parameters made me really cringe for my OWN picks.
Honestly Corrin was the only easy decision for me out of unique characters. Sorry, Corrin fans :( I play Corrin a lot, but I can't justify his/her appearance in Smash more than really any other unique character.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013

My Top 5:
Lucas
Roy
Jigglypuff
Corrin
Ryu

For me, this is a case of definitely having these characters come back as DLC. Anyways..

-Wii Fit Trainer
-Jigglypuff
-Greninja
-Toon Link
-Lucas

This was very hard for me to come up with.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

My Top 5:
Lucas
Roy
Jigglypuff
Corrin
Ryu

Top 5 Cuts:
Bowser Jr.
Lucario
Roy
Toon Link
Wii Fit Trainer

That'd probably do it for me and I would not be too fussed.

Pretty sure that was kinda the joke :p

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

My Top 5:
Lucas
Roy
Jigglypuff
Corrin
Ryu

Probably same as yours, but I'd replace Ryu with Sheik

?????????????

Smash Master
Honestly Corrin was the only easy decision for me out of unique characters. Sorry, Corrin fans :( I play Corrin a lot, but I can't justify his/her appearance in Smash more than really any other unique character.
Once again, I felt the exact same way. I was glad we got another FE character that wasn't purely a swordsman, and I am a PARTICULARLY HUGE fan of Fire Emblem Fates, but I just couldn't justify it within 5 characters!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Also when it comes to new characters I generally follow a few things...
1. You never know what'll come through that door
2. Smashers will give you crap for saying "This nintendo char that actually has a legit reason to be in even if theyre niche" then beg for someone like Sora so I just ignore most smash players lol
3. You really honestly never know what Sakurai is gonna do.

When it comes to smash 5s roster I do hope that its refined, I think we are reaching almost too many characters at this point and it does feel like some inclusions arent necessary or could be molded with someone else instead.
Honestly, I had a pretty good success rate at predicting him last time. He still has those massive curve-balls, but it is not as though every pick is going to be a surprise. Especially this time around. Our potential pool is so much smaller.

Also, Black Shadow, a character from the F-Zero franchise (the one with Captain Falcon, I know, hard to remember when it has been largely ignored for over a decade) would work because he could adopt Ganon's move-set, even though he is niche. Before I go, I have to also tell you that Goku is going to be in SMash, please Sakurai! I am begging you!

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
This is the most calm discussion about cuts in the history of discussions about cuts, maybe ever. I'm proud of all of us lmao

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Once again, I felt the exact same way. I was glad we got another FE character that wasn't purely a swordsman, and I am PARTICULARLY HUGE fan of Fire Emblem Fates, but I just couldn't justify it within 5 characters!
My view of FE is that with Marth, Ike, Robin and fem-Corrin as the playable characters you give a nice representation of the new and old of the series whilst still having variety beyond "they're all swordsman" and having room for 1, maybe 2 new fighters in this game. The only problem would be that it kinda leans towards the male side of the series too much. I personally really liked Fates as well (Azura best girl) and can see why FE fans will always be up in arms regardless of who is cut/added.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
5 characters we would cut?

:4ryu::4palutena::4lucina::4corrin:

I can't think of anyone else worth cutting.
Oh, I almost forgot about Palutena. I loved her so much and they just gave us... Whatever that abomination was. It was like he was trying to make her worse than Zelda, as though he literally challenged himself to make a less interesting magic user while also ensuring that they would not be viable. Honestly, just for my own sanity, I would probably put her on my list instead of Olimar. At least it is fun to throw your own Pikmin off the edge or listen to their screams.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I think some cuts I'd do
> Cut Corrin, Roy and Lucina. Ike/Marth/Robin are a solid trio that represents FE well with unique styles
> As much as I hate to say it cut Dark Pit and keep Palu/Pit as KI reps. Dark Pit as an alt skin maybe? I love Dpit so much but I understand lol
> Cut Rosa, Bowser Jr. Mario/Peach/Bowser/Luigi/Yoshi/Wario are all we really need in terms of mario reps.
> Cut Toon Link and Sheik. Link/Zelda/Ganon are a good enough number for zelda reps, the main 3.
> Cut Greninja/Zard. Puff kinda has to stay just cause OG 12 status. But Pika/Lucario/Mewtwo are good af reps for the franchise.
> Cut Cloud, Ryu, Bayo, Pacman, Megaman, Sonic. I would like smash 5 to focus more so on Nintendo reps rather than 3rd party characters. I love Cloud and co but I think it would be solid to focus on nintendo reps only going forward.
> Cut Lucas, Ness is the best way to rep Earthbound and we really only need one rep for it.
> While yes Doc is technically a mario rep he kinda reps the oddball puzzle games nintendo has had and keeping him around is good to rep the old way mario played if they updated mario with Odyssey moves.

So that would leave per series the number of reps as
Mario : 7 (if wario and doc are counted)
LOZ : 3
FE : 3
FZero : 1
KI : 2
DK : 2
Pokemon : 4
Wii Fit : 1
AC : 1
Pikmin : 1
Punchout : 1
Metroid : 2 (arguable if you can cut zss or not tbh)
Earthbound : 1
Splatoon : 1
Xenoblade : 1
Duck Hunt : 1
Game and Watch era : 1
Stack em : 1
Star Fox : 2
Kirby : 3

Unless I counted wrong that leaves 39 reps as of now if any of these cuts did happen. That leaves plenty of room for more dynamic series and characters being shown.

I'm not saying I WANT to cut these chars so much as I think if the game is refined at all that these cuts would make sense to me. Again I love most of the cast that is in the game but if I was going to refine the game some more this is what I'd do. To have a lot of open spots for other series to shine. If that makes sense?

(Prepares self for hate wall)

AadmM

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6988-1941-7966
The prompt was actually that you cant pick Doc, Pittoo, Lucina, or Miis.... Nice job nailing them all though lmao :joyful:
I would. Geez, I'm such a moron sometimes. XD

Whatever. Those are my honest picks. Guess they're the most obvious since they were singled out.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
5 cuts? Mkay. Y’all ain’t gonna like ‘em though I promise.

:4falco::4lucario::4palutena::4zelda::4wiifit:

I just chose characters that I don’t really play, so, take that as you will...

I’ll leave befor I’m shot... :cheep::halfsheep::emptysheep:

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
This a question that has not really been discussed as far as I have seen, what items would you like to see return or added into this game?

I'd love for the firecracker-launcher-thingy from Brawl to return and I could see something like a zapfish from Splatoon turning up as a sort of shock grenade, which would be pretty funny.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I almost forgot about Palutena. I loved her so much and they just gave us... Whatever that abomination was. It was like he was trying to make her worse than Zelda, as though he literally challenged himself to make a less interesting magic user while also ensuring that they would not be viable. Honestly, just for my own sanity, I would probably put her on my list instead of Olimar. At least it is fun to throw your own Pikmin off the edge or listen to their screams.
Unironically why I think Fossil Fighter has a good chance. Sakurai likes to have curveballs and even tho FF is niche it had 3 games and a unique character. I can totally see Fossil Fighter getting in (REALLY helps hes first party and again has an actual series over 2 consoles and has had stickers/trophies in smash) the pool they can work with is A LOT smaller now. So honestly I do think it'll be a little easier guessing who or at least what series will garner a rep or not this time around.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Honestly I think some cuts I'd do
> Cut Corrin, Roy and Lucina. Ike/Marth/Robin are a solid trio that represents FE well with unique styles
> As much as I hate to say it cut Dark Pit and keep Palu/Pit as KI reps. Dark Pit as an alt skin maybe? I love Dpit so much but I understand lol
> Cut Rosa, Bowser Jr. Mario/Peach/Bowser/Luigi/Yoshi/Wario are all we really need in terms of mario reps.
> Cut Toon Link and Sheik. Link/Zelda/Ganon are a good enough number for zelda reps, the main 3.
> Cut Greninja/Zard. Puff kinda has to stay just cause OG 12 status. But Pika/Lucario/Mewtwo are good af reps for the franchise.
> Cut Cloud, Ryu, Bayo, Pacman, Megaman, Sonic. I would like smash 5 to focus more so on Nintendo reps rather than 3rd party characters. I love Cloud and co but I think it would be solid to focus on nintendo reps only going forward.
> Cut Lucas, Ness is the best way to rep Earthbound and we really only need one rep for it.
> While yes Doc is technically a mario rep he kinda reps the oddball puzzle games nintendo has had and keeping him around is good to rep the old way mario played if they updated mario with Odyssey moves.

So that would leave per series the number of reps as
Mario : 7 (if wario and doc are counted)
LOZ : 3
FE : 3
FZero : 1
KI : 2
DK : 2
Pokemon : 4
Wii Fit : 1
AC : 1
Pikmin : 1
Punchout : 1
Metroid : 2 (arguable if you can cut zss or not tbh)
Earthbound : 1
Splatoon : 1
Xenoblade : 1
Duck Hunt : 1
Game and Watch era : 1
Stack em : 1
Star Fox : 2
Kirby : 3

Unless I counted wrong that leaves 39 reps as of now if any of these cuts did happen. That leaves plenty of room for more dynamic series and characters being shown.

I'm not saying I WANT to cut these chars so much as I think if the game is refined at all that these cuts would make sense to me. Again I love most of the cast that is in the game but if I was going to refine the game some more this is what I'd do. To have a lot of open spots for other series to shine. If that makes sense?

(Prepares self for hate wall)
I think the only thing I'll challenge you on is cutting Greninja/Zard before Puff. I really wish Sakurai would let go of the OG 12 thing. Jiggs doesn't bring anything to the game anymore, really. Outside of Melee, she's been consistently bad and doesn't have an interesting gimmick or anything. She's been riding the OG 12 train for far too long imo.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

My Top 5:
Lucas
Roy
Jigglypuff
Corrin
Ryu

Hmm. That is a tough one.

1. Miis -- Never liked them; always thought they seemed out of place
2. D. Pit -- No reason
3. Roy or Ike -- Two FE heavy hitters seems like one too many
4. Duck Hunt -- This one was tough because of his history and uniqueness, I was just never a fan
5. WFT -- Ew.

Edit: I'm bad at following directions.

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
This a question that has not really been discussed as far as I have seen, what items would you like to see return or added into this game?

I'd love for the firecracker-launcher-thingy from Brawl to return and I could see something like a zapfish from Splatoon turning up as a sort of shock grenade, which would be pretty funny.
Remove Beetle and Gust Bellows

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Please bring back the cracker launcher. That thing was great to play with.

Someone suggested it earlier, but I'd like to see the Breidablik added as an equivalent to the Pokeball for the Fire Emblem Series. It could summon a variety of Fire Emblem characters that aren't notable enough to be added to the game.

Morbi

Scavenger

I do not play with items very much anymore, but that vacuum from Skyward Sword was busted. I want it back. And that beetle that instakilled you if you did not mash hard enough. Skyward Sword had the best items.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
5 characters we would cut?

:4ryu::4palutena::4lucina::4corrin:

I can't think of anyone else worth cutting.
I don't even know what the developers were thinking while setting up Palutena's overall moveset. She really needs a second chance, and I probably have a good idea on how to fix up her notable flaws.

https://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/4671

It's just too bad that our own moveset modifications tend to fall on deaf ears.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I think the only thing I'll challenge you on is cutting Greninja/Zard before Puff. I really wish Sakurai would let go of the OG 12 thing. Jiggs doesn't bring anything to the game anymore, really. Outside of Melee, she's been consistently bad and doesn't have an interesting gimmick or anything. She's been riding the OG 12 train for far too long imo.
Yeeeeeah. Id rather cut Puff before them but like shes kinda immune to it due to OG 12 thing going on. *shrug* it is what it is. Idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom