• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Assuming we get a new Smash game, what franchise could replace the codecs from Kid Icarus and Metal Gear Solid? Would it be good to keep the KI:U codecs, or is it time to try something new? Or will it not be present at all?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So...

Does Squrtle have a chance of returning? He's in a really weird spot
I don't really think so unless they go for a "bring back every unique character" thing with DLC. I absolutely adored Squirtle in Brawl/PM and would love to see it return, but my hopes aren't very high.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Ohhh. Stages.

My most wanted stages currently: Mor Ardain (Xenoblade 2), Another Dimension (Kirby Return to Dreamland), and a stage based on one of the maps of splatoon. For Mor Ardain, I just feel like that is a stage that could easily work in smash and can still set itself apart from Gaur plains. Another Dimension because I want to see another Kirby final boss area besides Fountain of Dreams. Plus Kirby Fighterz really opened me up to the idea. I prefer something like Urchin underpass, Moray Towers, The Reef, etc, over something like the main plaza of the games. It would feel more special to me because the main plaza just sounds too much of a simple pick. But that's just me personally and I would still enjoy a splatoon stage either way.

Returning stages I want: Fountain of Dreams, that kraid stage, and Wuhu Island.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Assuming we get a new Smash game, what franchise could replace the codecs from Kid Icarus and Metal Gear Solid? Would it be good to keep the KI:U codecs, or is it time to try something new? Or will it not be present at all?
I saw someone mentioning using Callie and Marie with cameos from Pearl and Marina as the codex for the game. I think that'd be pretty cool and would give Splatoon a larger role in the game.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I’d be totally okay with this. Bewear could be turned into quite the amusing fighter in Smash.
Grappling is weirdly under-served. You'd think more characters would have things like usable command grabs, but I'm not sure if there have even been any new ones since Brawl other than Nosferatu.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Grappling is weirdly under-served. You'd think more characters would have things like usable command grabs, but I'm not sure if there have even been any new ones since Brawl other than Nosferatu.
Taking Bewear’s Pokedex entries into account, the grappling concept could be combined with its friendly nature. Basically, a cute, cuddly and affectionate Pokemon who’s not really “fighting”, it’s just showing its affection in very, very dangerous ways. Also, it’s looking for someone strong enough to withstand its back-breaking hugs.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Since Bewear is about as significant in the anime as Jigglypuff once was (and he's infinitely funnier, IMO), I don't actually find him out of the realm of possibility, even beyond my bias. He's been a popular character in regards to marketing, too. And in game, there's stuffuls and bewears all over the overworld. I think one of the primary things holding him back is that there's another fighting type Pokemon in the game, being Lucario. I personally think that they really have nothing in common and don't think they should impede on one another, but honestly, Bewear probably isn't happening :laugh:

Taking Bewear’s Pokedex entries into account, the grappling concept could be combined with its friendly nature. Basically, a cute, cuddly and affectionate Pokemon who’s not really “fighting”, it’s just showing its affection in very, very dangerous ways. Also, it’s looking for someone strong enough to withstand its back-breaking hugs.
God I love Bewear lmao. Perhaps the most unintentionally dangerous thing ever, especially in the Pokemon universe.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Oh the rage if this was the Smash game that was announced during the Direct (taken from NomComms on Twitter):

Fortunately we are getting a new game instead.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Oh the rage if this was the Smash game that was announced during the Direct (taken from NomComms on Twitter):

Fortunately we are getting a new game instead.
I can't say I'd be UPSET about Melee HD, but... I'd prefer a new game, and better yet its 2018 and not 2019.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Bradli Wartooth Bradli Wartooth The only two things holding back Bewear from becoming a fighter in Smash 5 would be sharing the whole “Fighting-type” with Lucario (although both would fight nothing like each other. Lucario does more martial arts while Bewear is just playing around) and the probable inclusion of an Alolan starter like Decidueye, Incineroar, an Ultra Beast or a Gen VIII Pokemon over it. I’d love to have both Decidueye and Bewear as newcomers.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
It's on the 3DS not the Switch.

EDIT: Though I would unironically love Melee 3DS.
I feel like Melee 3DS would actually be worst-case scenario
-Not a new game that non-competitive players want
-Not a new game that many competitive players want
-Played on the 3DS rather than a console with a GCN controller
-Literally a smack in the face to the Melee scene. That would be recognizing that they want new Melee and essentially telling them they aren't worth more to them than a non-upgraded port on an old handheld console. That hurts me and I never played competitive melee.

Bradli Wartooth Bradli Wartooth The only two things holding back Bewear from becoming a fighter in Smash 5 would be sharing the whole “Fighting-type” with Lucario (although both would fight nothing like each other. Lucario does more martial arts while Bewear is just playing around) and the probable inclusion of an Alolan starter like Decidueye, Incineroar, an Ultra Beast or a Gen VIII Pokemon over it. I’d love to have both Decidueye and Bewear as newcomers.
I see Bewear as the most slept-on Alolan Pokemon. There's actually a decent amount to work with there. Please, Sakurai, look into my pipe-dream characters

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That moment when you realize Melee 3DS wouldn't have the Ice Climbers...

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Just ignore this post since I want to save the log of old OP since I'm going to update the OP for everyone to check once in awhile when we get new information.

I got a permission from a moderator so everyone, please play it nice and not try to get other thread locked.. Also feel free to rip my case apart!

-------

--------

I didn't know that there are kinda two almost similar threads, so I'm going to repost what I said in other thread, regard with Smash NX (I know there are many assumptions here so I want to clear it up with "extended vacation")

I admits that we don’t really know anything about Smash NX and what it’s going to be. I want to start with what we already know. We only have a rumor from Dr. Toto which claimed Smash NX is planned to be one of launch titles for Nintendo NX.

I’m totally aware that people already know that Sakura is on an extended vacation. I think people might look into this too literally because it could meant anything depend on people's preference of word-usages. I meant, there is an article that Sakurai implied that his vacation might be short. I know it's easy to cherry-picking to temper our disappointments.

Sakurai could take a break from industry and let Bandai-Namco handle the port job. When the team is done with their port and code job with Smash NX, he could come back to development. If I recalled correctly, I remembered an article claims that Bandai-Namco working on porting Brawl to New Smash, and getting the prototype ready for Sakurai awhile he's working on Kid Icarus. (I might be wrong on that)

But short development schedule? We don't know what they are up to. It's possible that they wouldn't change that much between Smash for and Smash NX. But there is a chance they might do so we shouldn’t forget the fact that they already have assets ready for 58 characters, stages, etc.

Also I would like to point it out that It only took Sakurai and his small team to make 7 characters, 9 stages and many Mii Costumes within 16 months which is pretty impressive. Imagine bigger team with 13 months. It only take two years and half to make 51 characters with a huge team, along with many contents like stages, single players, etc.

Sakurai is one of most proud developer so I'm not sure if he would like the idea of Smash 3DS/Wii U being a port job to Smash NX and just simply leave it alone. I meant he would rather to make Brawl over letting them port Melee with internet mode to Wii. A guy who shared information about Sakurai (the guy who got fired) said that Sakurai is very hand-on with Smash Bros Franchise so I could imagine that he's going to work on next Smash Bros (maybe for last time (Port or not,)) Also he really like to work on Smash Bros because he felt that he could work on interesting things, and he's unsure if team is ready to work on Smash Bros without him. Here is his statement on his opinion.

Regard with New Contents,

Sakurai already acknowledged that characters are the perfect tool to hyping up the audiences and to build up the interest for the audiences to purchase new Smash. Personally, I think Sakurai knew Smash is one of most high profile franchise and have the power to move the consoles, so I think it might be their best interests to include brand new contents for the fans to purchase the game again. I know it's very debatable with the fact it doesn't need new contents for some fans to re-purchase the game.

He already felt that Smash for 3DS and Wii U already went passed the limit for Smash Bros franchise. Also it would made an excellent counterargument that we might not get any new characters in Smash NX. (I would like to mention the comments Sakurai made was in Jan 2015)

My final comment:
After those quotes, I just can't imagine that Sakurai would leave up the port job to Bandai-Namco and call it for day. I think Nintendo and Sakurai actually know that people would be excited to see more new characters, and motivated them to pick up Smash NX and Next Gen console. However I think it's best to expect the worst for Smash NX. Either it goes, I'm going to be there on day 1 if I could.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Bewear would be an interesting Pokeball Pokemon, wandering around and then giving a bearhug to any opponents it gets its hands on, dealing a lot of damage in the process.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Bewear would be an interesting Pokeball Pokemon, wandering around and then giving a bearhug to any opponents it gets its hands on, dealing a lot of damage in the process.
I'll be genuinely disappointed if he isn't at least a Pokeball. I think as a Pokeball Pokemon, it'd run around and try to scoop people up. It does fairly significant damage from the hug, dealing more the longer it holds on. You can mash out, just like a grab. When you "break free", it sets you down and gently pats you with a pleased smile on its face.

I need this

Last edited:

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
I finally updated the original post or first post (Whatever y'all called it here)! So I hope that y'all like it and I will try my best to keep it update over the time!

D

Deleted member

That brings up a good point actually. We haven't really talked Stages much. Any stages you guys want to see in?
-A Kirby stage that's from a game that wasn't made by Sakurai.
-A DK stage that's not a Jungle.
-A Mega Man stage that's not filled with an annoying boss.
-A Metroid stage that is not filled with Lava.
-A Wario Land stage.
-A Sonic stage that is not Green Hill or an expy of Green Hill.

oh and Dracula's Castle but that **** ain't happening.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Nice looking new op. Though it reminds of just how little info we have so far. >.>

Looking back at the website, I'm reminded how we haven't gotten the newcomer art for Inklings yet. The ones where they brought in the original artists to do a piece of art. Those were always fun. Especially the 3rd parties. I hope that comes back as well whenever that site actually starts to have info on it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nice, now we're ready to showcase new info when it comes in.

Aaaaannnnyyy second now...

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Reading the article in the OP listed as "This is the Limit for Roster Size!" makes me think those of us who think they'll port a ton of stuff over causing minimal cuts were being overly optimistic. Sakurai's comments about 50 characters being an insane value makes me think we may see more cuts than even the more pessimistic commentors have thought. Especially considering there's definitely going to be several new characters.
Hope that Sakurai finds a way to surprise even himself this time, haha.

Also, nice OP. I like the themed headers for all the section. They're well done :)

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
> hot sun upon a desert
> close up to a pickaxe going at it on a rock
> young lad rubs sweat off of forehead
> picks again, hears something clank and smiles
> pulls up a rock > mouth drops open and smashball reflects in his eye
> "Fossil Fighter digs up trouble!"

While a lot of people think its a long shot I still think Fossil Fighter has a good chance. The dude has had 3 games and is interesting as a character (we have no pickaxe users in smash) and is a first party character.
So its not like he was one and done.
Yes hes niche but does that really matter with smash lol
I think he'd make a good out of left field character kinda like how Pit was in brawl, or wii fit in smash 4.

Also I kinda hope we get more news before E3 tho I have a good feeling that they wont show anything till then, theyd rather drop us stuff then than now.
Sucks tho cause I dont wanna wait ;-;

Morbi

Scavenger
Reading the article in the OP listed as "This is the Limit for Roster Size!" makes me think those of us who think they'll port a ton of stuff over causing minimal cuts were being overly optimistic. Sakurai's comments about 50 characters being an insane value makes me think we may see more cuts than even the more pessimistic commentors have thought. Especially considering there's definitely going to be several new characters.
Hope that Sakurai finds a way to surprise even himself this time, haha.

Also, nice OP. I like the themed headers for all the section. They're well done :)
I definitely feel as though there are going to be a lot more cuts than most people are anticipating. It is a bit too hard to discuss though, you mention it and they freak out trying to justify a character's existence on the roster. That being said, I do not believe it will be as much as some of the more pessimistic people. Unfortunately, they are probably going to just give us less newcomers with a few cuts. I believe that most new characters, when all is said and done, will have come from DLC.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I definitely feel as though there are going to be a lot more cuts than most people are anticipating. It is a bit too hard to discuss though, you mention it and they freak out trying to justify a character's existence on the roster. That being said, I do not believe it will be as much as some of the more pessimistic people. Unfortunately, they are probably going to just give us less newcomers with a few cuts. I believe that most new characters, when all is said and done, will have come from DLC.
Yeah talking cuts almost always ends in arguments. The cuts almost seem random at this point anyway, based on past games.

Cuts also open the opportunity to bring characters back in all their glory, which is nice. It was so cool seeing Mewtwo and Roy come back.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Yeah talking cuts almost always ends in arguments. The cuts almost seem random at this point anyway, based on past games.

Cuts also open the opportunity to bring characters back in all their glory, which is nice. It was so cool seeing Mewtwo and Roy come back.
The existence of DLC is really reassuring, even if it doesn't mean we get everyone back. I'll still say that the base roster will be around the same thing as Wii U's, maybe slightly more, and then DLC can fill some gaps. And we all know Nintendo is going to push DLC for Smash. Heck, they did it for Wii U.

AadmM

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6988-1941-7966
Nice looking new op. Though it reminds of just how little info we have so far. >.>

Looking back at the website, I'm reminded how we haven't gotten the newcomer art for Inklings yet. The ones where they brought in the original artists to do a piece of art. Those were always fun. Especially the 3rd parties. I hope that comes back as well whenever that site actually starts to have info on it.
I had forgotten about those! Man, to see Splatoon-style art for characters not living in Inkopolis...

This needs to happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom