• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite... I’m excited for the new smash even if it turns out to be a port. Personally, I’ve only been playing the 3ds variant so I missed out on most of the Wii U stuff and it’ll still be somewhat new to me anyway. However, I’d still prefer a new game over a port.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Fixed.

Remember when we all thought Ghirahim was going to be in the game? Nowadays, it's like, Ghirawho! Ha!

Sorry not sorry.
Not a lot of people thought he had much of a chance here in smashboards. I'd know, because I was always reminded in the Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U support thread I had for him. :laugh:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Meanwhile I still think Champion Link is likely going to be the new Zelda character this time around.
Oh, I never even thought to refer to him as Champion Link. That totally makes sense. Although Link, Champion Link and Toon Link... yeesh.

Not a lot of people thought he had much of a chance here in smashboards. I'd know, because I was always reminded in the Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U support thread I had for him. :laugh:
Hey, he's a cool character. It's a shame the Link didn't get a Ghirahim outfit in BotW. He would have looked good in that exquisite lycra ensemble.

D

Deleted member

I would even take Alfonso for a return of the “leave it to me” memes
When Champion Link joins the battle, Alfonzo is in charge of saving Hyrule.
Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!"

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
morning folks

As for Zelda newcomers, I would really like to see a playable Skull Kid this time around, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Impa if she were to replace Shiek. Nothing against the concept of Shiek, but I’m really sick of the Zelda franchise being represented by two characters split into four and a discount Black Shadow dressed like the King of Evil. There are so many cool characters in the franchise, and I wish Sakurai would capitalize on that.

I would even take Alfonso for a return of the “leave it to me” memes
I'm with you on Skull Kid

He's one of the most remembered characters in the series and a fan favourite of both fans and more importantly, the developers.

And a bunch of other stuff I've listed before.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm with you on Skull Kid

He's one of the most remembered characters in the series and a fan favourite of both fans and more importantly, the developers.

And a bunch of other stuff I've listed before.
Nice opinion/signature synergy.

Midna for Smash btw.
(Skull Kid is cool though. he deserves something better than that weird/useless AT)

?????????????

Smash Master
After all is said and done, my favorite potential Zelda newcomer is and always has been Tetra.

I'm a particular fan of Wind Waker and the Wind Waker style, I want more "Toon" characters to go with "Toon Link," and I like the idea of a character with a pirate-themed moveset.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I will not be making any more move-sets for OCs or characters anymore. It consumes too much time with less payoff and feedback. Plus, I'm not as detailed and gameplay passionate as before. :p

However, the idea of a 1-2 Switch character sounds cool. But, I am not sure how possible the idea is though, I heard 1-2 Switch flopped compared to sellers Odyssey, XC2, Arms, and Breath of the Wild. If such a character were to be made, I would like to see the milking minigame get incorporated as a special move. :shades:

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I imagine a Wario Ware like stage featuring the mini games is the best hope for 1 2 Switch. Imagine running around on top of all of the tutorial people. Hearing "Face each other..." and having to avoid the different angled shots when the when he says "fire!" Stuff like that. A silly, silly, silly stage made of actual people.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I had an idea for "Old Woman" Impa from BotW, utilizing a moveset based on Maz Koshia.
How about a Young Impa based on Paya's design with Old Impa's hat and moves based on Maz Koshia mixed with some Sheikah Slate Rune attacks?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Impa is easily the character next to Champion/Wild/Jumpy Link to best represent Breath of the Wild as a whole (although my Kilton moveset rocks)

She can use

-Sheikah Slate runes
-Four types of Sheikah-crafted weapons
-Guardian weapons (With the fancy blue light)
-Sheikah Guard weapons (The OP weapons that break fast)
-Traditional Sheikah weapons (Eightfolded Tanto and the like)
-Yiga clan weaponry (Windcleaver)
-Everything Master Kohga does
-Metal Orbs
-Barrier
-Everything Yiga Clan does
-Tornado Earth projectile
-Teleport
-Drop down teleport
-General Sheikah aesthetic
-Guardian lasers
-Blue flames
-Teleporting between Shrines
-Maz Koshia
-Thunderganon's Blitz attack
-Thunderganon's Lightning and Metal orbs
-Cloning
-Bow and arrow (Different elements)
-Divine Beasts
-Cryonis spiked balls (Vah Ruta)

chefpenguin

Smash Rookie
inb4 Aiai from Super Monkey ball gets in. The series is basically Nintendo anyways, despite being developed by Sega. If not a character a tilting stage would be cool.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
On the topic of BOTW characters, I think it would be hilarious if they put in Master Kohga as an assist trophy.

If you summoned him, he would do his stupid evil laugh, and then use his Yiga magic to summon either a small rock, three faster moving rocks, or (rarely) a giant spiked metal ball that does a lot of damage. I think his entire boss fight is perfect for one of the goofy but not totally useless assists.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I don't think it'll happen, but I would not mind one bit if they just decided to add all four Champions as new playable characters.

If I had to pick just one, I think I'd go with Urbosa.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I don't think it'll happen, but I would not mind one bit if they just decided to add all four Champions as new playable characters.

If I had to pick just one, I think I'd go with Urbosa.
I'm all for a new Zelda character that isn't a hylian or even a gerudo (though I admit Urbosa is the most fitting out of all the champions). Races play a pretty significant role in Zelda games. The best way to represent one of those races is making atleast one of the champians playable. In the case of Daruk en Mipha, they could use for example some of the abilities Link had in Majora's Mask when transformed in those same races.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Ngl, I want Daruk to get in. He checks a lot of my boxes.

-Zelda rep that isn’t Link or Zelda again
-Heavy character
-Stone Smasher would be a cool weapon
-Goron (I’ve always really, really liked Gorons)
-beautiful majestic mane

Really, he’s got a lot going for him

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
So, let’s assume that Link is getting changes to be in-line with his BotW incarnation. This means that Toon Link, should he return without any major moveset changes, will be like a “legacy version” of Link that mimics his current moveset, which in this assumption would now be his old one.

Suppose the same will be true for Zelda, she’s getting changes to be in-line with BotW. In that case, would anybody like to see Toon Zelda finally show up two games later and take that same “legacy version” role with a ‘toon-fied’ version of Zelda’s current moveset and allow the actual Zelda to adapt to the new game, same as Link?

?????????????

Smash Master
So, let’s assume that Link is getting changes to be in-line with his BotW incarnation. This means that Toon Link, should he return without any major moveset changes, will be like a “legacy version” of Link that mimics his current moveset, which in this assumption would now be his old one.

Suppose the same will be true for Zelda, she’s getting changes to be in-line with BotW. In that case, would anybody like to see Toon Zelda finally show up two games later and take that same “legacy version” role with a ‘toon-fied’ version of Zelda’s current moveset and allow the actual Zelda to adapt to the new game, same as Link?
I wouldn't mind that. It would make more sense for "Toon Zelda" to have that phantom armor Down B anyway.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm all for a new Zelda character that isn't a hylian or even a gerudo (though I admit Urbosa is the most fitting out of all the champions). Races play a pretty significant role in Zelda games. The best way to represent one of those races is making atleast one of the champians playable. In the case of Daruk en Mipha, they could use for example some of the abilities Link had in Majora's Mask when transformed in those same races.
The races are a crucial role in Hyrule indeed.

Adding in the four champions would flesh out the world considerably, showing its majesty and the lore nicely. The Zelda games have always utilized the world of Hyrule as the focal point of the games, yet playing a five players Smash game feels nothing like being in Hyrule. I would argue that the four champions, a completely packaged deal (meaning getting all or nothing, but each being a standalone character in the character selection screen) would make Zelda feel wholely represented.

I truly don't see that happening, though.
Best I'm hoping for is a complete reimaginging of the original trio (with Zelda using a magic gauge which allows her only then to become either Sheik, or Tetra), Link (using his runes and Champion attacks), and Ganondorf (who can then turn into Ganon in game play not just final Smash).

I'm also in the camp that I'd be happy to see Sheik cut if it means having Impa in. Sure, we *could* have both, but I dont think the Sheikah are so important in Hyrule as to be 1/3 of the entire Zelda roster.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Ngl, I want Daruk to get in. He checks a lot of my boxes.

-Zelda rep that isn’t Link or Zelda again
-Heavy character
-Stone Smasher would be a cool weapon
-Goron (I’ve always really, really liked Gorons)
-beautiful majestic mane

Really, he’s got a lot going for him
You forgot to check the most important box.

H E ' S R E A D Y T O R O L L !

?????????????

Smash Master
I want so much for a Ganon/Ganondorf/Zelda villain that actually fights like a Zelda villain, and NOT like Captain Falcon.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
would anybody like to see Toon Zelda finally show up two games later and take that same “legacy version” role with a ‘toon-fied’ version of Zelda’s current moveset and allow the actual Zelda to adapt to the new game, same as Link?
Honestly, this is the absolute last thing I want to see. LoZ has so many interesting, unique faces that the Smash team could capitalize on and make interesting movesets with. BoTW makes this even MORE pronounced by adding characters like the Champions who aren’t Hylian but have distinct personalities. Even beyond the Champions we have characters like Vaati, Skull Kid, Midna, Ruto... the list could go on and on. If we got Toon Zelda, yet another variation of the same damn character we’ve already seen two of, I would be beyond pissed.

Honest question: do people even like Zelda’s old moveset?

Last edited:

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
I had some thoughts last night regarding what a BotW Link might look like. As a disclaimer, I'm not entirely convinced of a couple of things... It's entirely possible they leave Link's moveset (basically) untouched and simply give him a BotW design. It's also possible they remove either Toon Link or Classic Link (or even neither of them!) in favour of BotW Link and update his moveset. But it was just fun to come up with an idea based on his most current iteration.

I think it would be cool if they incorporated the champions into his special moves. It could look something like this:
- Up Special: Ravali's Gale - Soar up high and pull out the paraglider. Works similar to G&W's or Peach's up special where you can act out of the float as well.
- Side Special: Mipha's Grace - this is the one I'm sort of unsure about... It could manifest itself in a couple of ways, a healing move (we've seen them before with Wii Fit Trainer for example,) or some sort of water-based projectile. If people have cool ideas this is where I'm lacking a bit lol
- Neutral Special: Urbosa's Fury - Charge time, spell releases when you let go of the button. Ring of thunder around Link that pops characters up. Could be really neat in the vein of being used to extend combos if the charge time is short, or have a huge knockback and damage when you have a big charge. Could play it like a hitstun vs. knockback move, where depending on charge time you sacrifice one for the other.
- Down Special: Daruk's Protection: This is the one I thought was really interesting. The way I think would be really cool is after using it, the next attack you're hit with you have "armor" against. So if the knockback is smaller than a certain threshold, you receive no knockback, and damage is reduced (either directly to 0% or by a % of damage inflicted) on hit. Giving Link some armor would make even his Sm4sh self a lot better, knowing you can trade with his really strong tilts or smashes would give him a lot more confidence.

This leaves the runes to be used elsewhere, like Magnesis could replace his hookshot for a tether grab, the bombs could be a downsmash (round one rolls away from him, square bomb sits behind him before exploding,) etc... It'd be a big re-haul and I'm not convinced we're getting any changes at all, but I think it has the potential to be a fun redesign.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You forgot to check the most important box.

H E ' S R E A D Y T O R O L L !
Oh my god Daruk is Genny.

But on a more serious note, Daruk is my favorite champion and my preferred Zelda newcomer. They could even take Daruk's Protection in a slightly different direction...hear me out.

Maybe to get around Smash's problem of heavyweight characters being combo fodder, Daruk could use this move as a sort of stance switch, which slows his movement down a bit in order to have increased defense and stronger stun and knockback resistance, allowing him to get up close without worrying as much about getting comboed or overwhelmed by projectiles only to smack the foe with his more-like-a-club-than-a-sword sword.

D

Deleted member

I really want more Zelda characters, especially from the various different species, the problem is there's not a recurring character, not even an Impa-like deal with the Gorons, Zora, Rito, etc.
I'd be okay if it were someone completely out of the blue like Darunia if it meant ahaving a Goron.

No Zora other than Sidon is acceptable though. NONE.

Gestahl

Smash Cadet
Guys! My hope is they will implement a Melee Mode, with Wavedash etc, only one can hang on the edge. It would be a nice touch and further the gameplay variations.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
My personal choice of Zelda newcomer will forever be a classic Link the the Past inspired Ganon, as a big cartoony pig wielding a trident.

My other high-up choices would be Skull Kid (because he’s just really cool) and Tingle (because he’s pretty much the only other recurring character besides Impa, and seems like he would be an utter joy to play).

I’d be more than down with an elderly Sheikah monk Impa though. That’d offer a unique moveset and directly tie in with the most recent title, while also being one of the few recurring characters in the series.

In terms of prediction, the roster I’m currently working on has a “Zelda newcomer” placeholder slot. I feel like especially with the series’ newfound success, there will be one, I just have no clue who exactly.
Although now that I think about it, the roster was most likely finalized before Breath of the Wild was released and was critically acclaimed as a masterpiece, so I don’t really think its success will affect who is playable, at least in the base game.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Zelda's current specials can easily be changed into the Champion's abilities

Nayru's Love changes into Daruk's Protection
Din's Fire, which was an AoE attack in Ocarina of Time, can change into Urbosa's Fury, with Zelda controlling a little lightning bolt
Farore's Wind can be changed into Revali's Gale
And that only leaves Mipha's Grace to be a drastically new move when compared to Phantom Slash

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Honest question: do people even like Zelda’s old moveset?
There are strengths and weaknesses. Ultimately it ends up being so underbuffed that it just feels like a wasted opportunity.

I'd like to see Zelda capitalize on showing the magic in the world, and having an actual magic gauge such as that which we get in the game.

In short, I'm fine with a complete Zelda overhaul. The only cool thing about the last one is that it harkened back to the Triforce God's.

Zelda's current specials can easily be changed into the Champion's abilities

Nayru's Love changes into Daruk's Protection
Din's Fire, which was an AoE attack in Ocarina of Time, can change into Urbosa's Fury, with Zelda controlling a little lightning bolt
Farore's Wind can be changed into Revali's Gale
And that only leaves Mipha's Grace to be a drastically new move when compared to Phantom Slash
I'd be super pissed if they turned Urbosa's fury into a Pikachu thunderbolt.

Last edited:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Fundamental changes I want to see, regardless of roster

>Multiplayer online smash run
>Customs refined for competitive viability (i.e. customs safe to use at tournaments)
>Inklings replace Miis in customization and playable archetypes
>Removal of rage
>Replace rage with a "super meter" that charges passively, kinda like limit but you can't control it. Once this super meter fills you straight up get your final smash, available to use. Smash Balls instantly fill the meter if items are on.
>Final smashes are balanced for more counterplay at higher levels because of this.
>(Thanks Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 ): Final Smash input being A + B to avoid accidental use

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Fundamental changes I want to see, regardless of roster

>Multiplayer online smash run
>Customs refined for competitive viability (i.e. customs safe to use at tournaments)
>Inklings replace Miis in customization and playable archetypes
>Removal of rage
>Replace rage with a "super meter" that charges passively, kinda like limit but you can't control it. Once this super meter fills you straight up get your final smash, available to use. Smash Balls instantly fill the meter if items are on.
>Final smashes are balanced for more counterplay at higher levels because of this.
To those last two, I'd add Final Smashes being activated with A+B instead of replacing the basic attack.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I dig these.

I really wish Final Smashes were actually built into the gameplay better, not just as a little easter egg only in casual play.
It would be nice for them to compliment the owning characters strengths, and to be balanced into the competitive scene.

To those last two, I'd add Final Smashes being activated with A+B instead of replacing the basic attack.
It seems like a given to me that FS's will be activated by motion control (at least in the standard, Joycon set up).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom