• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Also to add to that, when do you guys think we'll get more info on the game, or at that our first glimpse of gameplay? Kind of a bizarre situation to have the first reveal trailer for a Smash game both show a newcomer while also not showing any gameplay.
I mean the obvious answer is at E3....but the relatively short time between now and September (when the paid online service is presumably launching) makes me wonder if we might get a mini Smash direct of some sort between now and E3.

I don't think that's likely, but it's something to think about.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I mean I feel like there's definitely at least a limit.
Smash Bros is still a Nintendo oriented franchise, that doesn't change. Like even in Smash 4 we got like... 6 third-party characters out of a 50+ roster of Nintendo characters.

Not to say I don't want more third parties. I'm glad we were able to get as many great characters as we did. But Nintendo is still only one company with a vast amount of history still waiting to be brought out. At the same I don't think it's Nintendo's responsibility to represent gaming as a whole. Especially if we want Smash to start repping indies or popular characters from other consoles.

It's why I'm a little sad PSABR didn't do as well as it could have. There's a lot of appeal in having more games that try to represent gaming history. Hell look at Marvel vs Capcom. But I don't think Nintendo has to be only one holding the mantle.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I mean the obvious answer is at E3....but the relatively short time between now and September (when the paid online service is presumably launching) makes me wonder if we might get a mini Smash direct of some sort between now and E3.

I don't think that's likely, but it's something to think about.
I think that we will not see anything more of Smash until E3 where they will blow the lid off of the project and then we will have a fast-paced and dense hype cycle between then and September. That'll allow Sakurai to do his whole post of the day thing again if he wants and it will not go stale as easily due to the smaller timeframe. It would also mean we could get something like 1 newcomer reveal each month, which would be nuts!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
My friend's godfather's gay lover works at Nintendo. 70% of the Roster is Kid Icarus Uprising characters. Shrek was also added by popular demand, he has a jetpack and makes references to dated memes.
See now I'm not sure if Shrek is in it at all. My Dad's friend's dog's previous owner works for Nintendo Australia. He says that Shrek rides on Donkey and his theme is All-Star by Smashmouth. Now I'm worried...
Can we hold off on the quality effort posts until at least we get a feasible uncle leak to spearhead it?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
As far as third parties are concerned, I personally don't care if Smash 5 introduces only two or as many as 20. Just make them fun to play as and I'll accept them with open arms.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Yeah too many 3rd parties is never a good idea. It should be noted however that the 3rd parties in for example smash 4 are still heavily outnumbered by the nintendo characters. I mean six 3rd party characters is pretty well balanced for a roster of 58 characters.
I think it was mostly the DLC that left a bad taste in my mouth. When they announced downloadable characters I was thinking “now they can add some lost veterans and deep cuts!”, and then it was mostly 3rd party people I didn’t care for. The trio of Sonic/PAC/Mega worked fine on the roster for me. I even miss Snake :p

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Honestly, the big thing I really want from this new game is balance.
I'd be more glad having a more balanced cast than a giant cast. 'Cause some of the characters in Smash 4 needed help badly.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Technically...

2nd Party doesn't exist.

It's still 1st Party.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I mean I feel like there's definitely at least a limit.
Smash Bros is still a Nintendo oriented franchise, that doesn't change. Like even in Smash 4 we got like... 6 third-party characters out of a 50+ roster of Nintendo characters.

Not to say I don't want more third parties. I'm glad we were able to get as many great characters as we did. But Nintendo is still only one company with a vast amount of history still waiting to be brought out. At the same I don't think it's Nintendo's responsibility to represent gaming as a whole. Especially if we want Smash to start repping indies or popular characters from other consoles.

It's why I'm a little sad PSABR didn't do as well as it could have. There's a lot of appeal in having more games that try to represent gaming history. Hell look at Marvel vs Capcom. But I don't think Nintendo has to be only one holding the mantle.
Took words right out of my mouth.

I had honestly been pretty bummed how a lot of crossover-related franchises we have seen disappear or die across various companies - such as Sonic & Sega All Star Racing possibly getting retooled to be cut down to just Sonic-franchise (What happened to Riders?), while Marvel VS Capcom had pretty irksome infamy possibly giving it it's final nail on the coffin.

I also feel like Playstation Battle Royale was thrown too quickly under the rug instead given ways to actually build off from rather potential gameplay diverging from Smash's mold. Which has eventually lead to the present where we don't exactly much "respected" options to celebrate various individual parts of gaming history.

Smash Bros after all, won't ever be able to represent Sega's history as extensively as Sega All Stars-franchise can, or Capcom's history with Marvel VS Capcom-series, and so on.

Ultimately, there's been pretty big losses as of late, and I feel like Smash Bros might low-key suffer from higher pressures from 3rd Party-rep demands due it.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Idk guys, call me a purist, but the only third parties I want are those important to Nintendo’s history and gaming a history as a whole. That’s why I love stuff like sonic and mega man. I think that was Sakurais original qualifications for third party characters anyways.

And I now a lot of people are saying that we might as well add more third parties because we’re running out of big name Nintendo characters, but in that case bring in less newcomers and focus on tightening our existing roster by reworking clones, balancing characters, and changing up existing movesets

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Idk guys, call me a purist, but the only third parties I want are those important to Nintendo’s history and gaming a history as a whole. That’s why I love stuff like sonic and mega man. I think that was Sakurais original qualifications for third party characters anyways.

And I now a lot of people are saying that we might as well add more third parties because we’re running out of big name Nintendo characters, but in that case bring in less newcomers and focus on tightening our existing roster by reworking clones, balancing characters, and changing up existing movesets
Running out of big name Nintendo characters? People who say that are crazy. You could make a gigantic roster using only first party characters. It wouldn't be an issue at all.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Undertale is pretty popular in Japan. Hell, the reason it has a Japanese translation at all is due to popular demand. I'm not expecting a character from it at all, I'm just debating.
And don't forget the part where there was massive outcry from Japanese Sans fans just because he used "oira" to describe himself in the official Japanese translation.

Yes, there was fan controversy about a lazy skeleton referring to himself like he's a country bumpkin.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's smash 5 alright, don't worry. It was copyrighted 2018, not 2014-2018. Sakurai's tweet about it really sounds like it's not a port. And I'm pretty sure I saw one of Nintendo's official websites refer to it as an "all-new game."
To play devil's advocate, the copyright date thing means nothing.

MK8 Deluxe only had a 2017 listing.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

To play devil's advocate for the other side, I've heard people say that was only because they changed the title of the game.

I dunno if that's how copyright actually works, but it's a counter-point I've seen a lot.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

To play devil's advocate for the other side, I've heard people say that was only because they changed the title of the game.

I dunno if that's how copyright actually works, but it's a counter-point I've seen a lot.
Devil's advocate AGAIN: Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch sounds like a different title than Smash WiiU
Well gee, I guess we'll just have to keep waiting then. :p

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You know, while I kinda was feeling content with the game a port, after all the talk centering on Smash Switch being a new game, somehow a mere enhanced port doesn't sound as interesting anymore.

Huh. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
If it was a port they would've stated that in the trailer... Hell there would've been gameplay shown.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It would've been stupid for them NOT to use Smash Wii U as a base for this game honestly. But if they could change up a veteran character as Link, there's hope there's at least enough new stuff for the game to feel fresh.

Anyhow, Impa is still the best choice for a new Zelda character. Let's settle that for once and all

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
In that same regard Impa isn't getting in as a Smash newcomer this go around either. Unless you want a wise old lady who spends the entire game embarrassing her younger grandchild anytime Link is around.

Yes. That'd be a good moveset. She's just spill secrets about the entire roster with each Smash attack.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Anyhow, Prince Sidon the Beautiful is still the best choice for a new Zelda character. Let's settle that for once and all
Fixed.

Remember when we all thought Ghirahim was going to be in the game? Nowadays, it's like, Ghirawho! Ha!

Sorry not sorry.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I like your style, my man! :seuss:

By comparison, Impa seems like the most logical addition to the Zelda cast. However, I don't think she's more likely to get in this Smash than she was with Smash 4. Back then, she had Skyward Sword, Ocarina 3D, and Hyrule Warriors all pushing for her young athletic design. Unless you count HW Definitive Edition, her most recent appearance was as a frail older woman.

Impa still has my support, and although I could be wrong with this, I have a feeling she'll be skipped over once again and the Zelda series will get a rep from BotW. Seeing Link changed to match his BotW design has only solidified my feelings on this topic.

D

Deleted member

I recently had a thought.

If this new Smash game is going to be released this year, it's likely its first real trailer at the next E3 will be something like this:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I like your style, my man! :seuss:

By comparison, Impa seems like the most logical addition to the Zelda cast. However, I don't think she's more likely to get in this Smash than she was with Smash 4. Back then, she had Skyward Sword, Ocarina 3D, and Hyrule Warriors all pushing for her young athletic design. Unless you count HW Definitive Edition, her most recent appearance was as a frail older woman.

Impa still has my support, and although I could be wrong with this, I have a feeling she'll be skipped over once again and the Zelda series will get a rep from BotW. Seeing Link changed to match his BotW design has only solidified my feelings on this topic.
Impa has my support too, to be honest. If the BotW Link from the trailer doesn't utilise the Sheikah Slate, then I could see old Impa taking on that kind of moveset. She could have really powerful Magnesis, Stasis and Cryonis based attacks to counter for her assumedly slow speed and light weight.

Or I guess Zelda could use the slate. It'd be a shame if no one got a BotW inspired moveset. I can't see Nintendo not forcing that upon Sakurai though.

Man, I really hope Zelda gets her BotW look too, I sure am sick of the TP design. Even SS Zelda was better design-wise.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Fixed.

Remember when we all thought Ghirahim was going to be in the game? Nowadays, it's like, Ghirawho! Ha!

Sorry not sorry.
Yeah Id have to agree I doubt sidon or a champion will get in for that same reason, they might not be so popular a few years from now, and Impa is the best choice if theres a zelda newcomer as shes been in multiple games and has been there from the start. But I dont expect any zelda newcomers honestly, beyond what we've already seen with the BOTW Link redesign, whether hes a third link or a total rework or a costume alt/clone hybrid thing, my guess is sakurai has chosen this as the way to rep BOTW and he tends not to just add characters without them having recent relevance to that game series... well unless its fire emblem, they get every flavor of the month character, but thats a whole other issue.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa didn't fit with the Twilight Princess designs, plus they where reworking Sheik. I still think that Impa was once considered, much like Chrom, but they decided to keep the veterans around in favor of them (thus; Ike and Sheik). Considering I like Ike better than Impa, even I think that's the better choice overall.

However, her support has grown significantly ever since. And Hyrule Warriors is now being released for the 3rd time, and I think that holds quite a lot of weight. It's also the ONLY game they could realistically build Ganondorf around, be it with his design or total moveset.

Anyway, I just now realised there where more characters teased in the reveal trailer besides Inkling, Mario and Link. Couple of characters where standing in the shadows. Totally missed that. Which characters you think are these?

D

Deleted member

Tbh, as much as I like Impa and think she's the best choice for a Zelda character(that isn't just another version of the main three), I don't think we'll see her getting added, at least not now.
I think Old Impa could easily be used but BotW's version is not at all suited for combat, it seems like she'd fall to pieces if she even moved from her spot.

andimidna

Smash Master
I loved the Twilight Princess designs, but it was definitely time to move on. While I’ll still never let go of that tiny chance that Midna could be picked, I support Impa for sure. I wanted to support a BotW character but if there isn’t one single character that stands out, meh? I don’t think it really works like characters are either picked or glossed over. I think it works more like a list of priorities in development, which is why we’ve had characters almost make previous installments with some even having leftover data (Mewtwo in Brawl), and characters finished at the end of development that were on the verge of getting cut (Bowser Jr). There were still a lot of major characters to add last time around, so it could’ve just been the case that she was a bit too low on the priority list. Now, we’re 58 characters in and the series is still poorly represented character-wise by Link, Link 2, Zelda, Zelda in disguise, and Captain Falcon 2, which was acceptable for Melee, but sticks out like a sore thumb now imo.

D

Deleted member

Actually, scratch that, Linebeck is obviously the best choice for a Zelda character even though he was ****ing robbed in HW I'm still so ****ing salty about Tetra. "PH/ST character" my ass

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Anyhow, Impa is still the best choice for a new Zelda character. Let's settle that for once and all
I am morally obligated to disagree with this.

Fixed.

Sorry not sorry.
I don't remember that.
like, seriously, he's so irrelevant now. Lol

*sniff*

D

Deleted member

Skull Kid, Midna and Ghirahim will all join the battle but as one character. They have been forcefully fused because they couldn't join Smash by themselves and now all they seek is for someone who can end their miserable life, if you could even call it that.
Forgive me for these posts, I'm waiting for my bus and got nothing to do.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am pretty sure we're gonna get Skyward Sword HD, so Skyward Sword Impa would make a lot of sense.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
morning folks

As for Zelda newcomers, I would really like to see a playable Skull Kid this time around, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Impa if she were to replace Shiek. Nothing against the concept of Shiek, but I’m really sick of the Zelda franchise being represented by two characters split into four and a discount Black Shadow dressed like the King of Evil. There are so many cool characters in the franchise, and I wish Sakurai would capitalize on that.

I would even take Alfonso for a return of the “leave it to me” memes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom