• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
I would take the rabbids (peach rabbid in particular) over waluigi. The mario raibbid game was a hit and this was the funniest character imo. Waluigi has not been in a nonsports mario game ever. I dont think nintendo views him as anything more than wario sports partner. There is no valid argument i can see for waluigi to be included in smash. Every inclusion in smash has a valid reason. Whether we want to talk about it or not.
Unpopular character choice:dark samus. Reason: prime 4.
He was an assist trophy, correct? A sports based kit is not entirely out of the question BECAUSE of how he has been used. He definitely has a unique body-type on top of that. To that end, he more or less fits the criteria.

Not saying it is likely, but there are valid reasons. They are even defining his personality in Mario Tennis. Which, well, yeah, there is a big Mario Sports game on the Horizon. Just saying.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Ooh, I love the King Boo idea. One of my ideas with him was, instead of jumping, he has a "float." As you hold "Up" on the joystick, he just begins ascending, but he shrinks as he ascends. Once he's too small, he can no longer float, and the only way to recharge your float is to land on the stage. While on the ground, King Boo slowly gets bigger, to a certain maximum size.
Yeah! Stuff like that could easily make him unique.

andimidna

Smash Master
I still hate the idea of Waluigi lmao
Pauline is really interesting though. She hasn’t had the same spark in popularity that Rosalina had, but she has historical relevance which is really interesting. If Peach, Rosa, and Pauline were all characters, I definitely think it’d look weird if Daisy wasn’t given the Alph treatment as a Peach alt.
Captain Toad is p much perfect though imo, and I’d go as far to say that I expect him.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I would take the rabbids (peach rabbid in particular) over waluigi. The mario raibbid game was a hit and this was the funniest character imo. Waluigi has not been in a nonsports mario game ever. I dont think nintendo views him as anything more than wario sports partner. There is no valid argument i can see for waluigi to be included in smash. Every inclusion in smash has a valid reason. Whether we want to talk about it or not.
Unpopular character choice:dark samus. Reason: prime 4.
1) I'd go far a Rabbid as a character
2) On the flipside, Waluigi has been in pretty much EVERY sports/racing/team-up game, AND was the boss of Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix. He's earned a spot as much as, if not more than, a lot of the "random" character choices in the game.
3) Dark Samus and Ridley would round out the Metroid series perfectly in my mind.

D

Deleted member

I'm just gonna quote what I said before the game was announced
I really don't understand why people are calling Waluigi a dumb choice when Sakurai considered that irrelevant wooden puppet that only appeared in one game over 20 years ago.
Not that I think either of them is likely but still

D

Deleted member

I don't want Waluigi simply because I don't like him.
I'm just gonna quote what I said before the game was announced

Not that I think either of them is likely but still
What irrelevant wooden puppet?

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'm half expecting Pauline to be included as this games' equivalent of Rosalina.

I've always thought she would be cool. She definitely has the moveset potential: she could use things from the original Donkey Kong (her parasol, handbag, hat), the Mario vs. Donkey Kong Games (a moveset which incorporates using Mini Marios as minions would be really neat), and now Super Mario Odyssey. Plus, it would complete the trifecta of characters from Nintendo's first big game: having Mario, DK, and Pauline in Smash just seems right.

I think her chances have definitely increased because of her prominence in Odyssey. Now she has two things she previously lacked: popularity, and an appealing design.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
People: Ugh, Sakurai only adding the new and relevant "advertisement" characters, I want the All-Stars with more than three games under their belt
Me: Daisy and Waluigi?
People: No not like that

Luminario

Smash Lord
Honest question: do people even like Zelda’s old moveset?
I like the concept of it, but it falls flat on it's face with terrible balancing and bad move choices. Do we really need fair and bair to be Lightning Kick? Do we need 90% of her moveset to be a kill move? Does Phantom Slash really need to be that bad at what it's meant to do? Why is Din's Fire a kill move when it should be for ranged pestering? It's all such a mess. It looks super flashy though, that's what I really like about it, everything has sparkles.
I'd be super pissed if they turned Urbosa's fury into a Pikachu thunderbolt.
It can function exactly how Din's Fire works now, where a small yellow wisp flies along until it explodes into a sphere of electrical energy.

Now that we can assume that all the Zelda characters minus Tink will get a BotW redesign, I can definitely see them giving Sheik the blueish Sheikah Slate tint to her bombs and vanish with Link getting a Stasis change to his FS but it still functions exactly the same.

Morbi

Scavenger
People: Ugh, Sakurai only adding the new and relevant "advertisement" characters, I want the All-Stars with more than three games under their belt
Me: Daisy and Waluigi?
People: No not like that
I do not even understand the problem with advertisement characters. There are only three as far as I am aware. Splatoon, Arms, and Xenoblade 2. Other than that, there are revolving door characters such as the new Fire Emblem/Pokemon and maybe, just maybe Metroid has something in the future. And perhaps that character just so happens to be Ridley, arguably the only true all-star we are even missing in the first place. This is too far out; however, Retro might be working on something, possibly Donkey Kong (albeit, none of the kongs are advertisement characters, per se, unless they design a new one). In other words 3-5 which is presumably only half the characters which makes sense because more people were clamoring for veterans or third-party characters at the end of Smash 4's life-cycles than "all-stars." Beyond that, most of those people who want Nintendo legacy characters are opposed to 3rd party characters which are realistically the only potential all-stars left. Nintendo is tapped which is why we started moving on to gaming in general.

I digress, I find that complaint to be utterly counter-intuitive.

D

Deleted member

I don't care about all-stars or advertisements, I just want characters with cool movesets

Last edited by a moderator:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I do not even understand the problem with advertisement characters. There are only three as far as I am aware. Splatoon, Arms, and Xenoblade 2. Other than that, there are revolving door characters such as the new Fire Emblem/Pokemon and maybe, just maybe Metroid has something in the future. And perhaps that character just so happens to be Ridley, arguably the only true all-star we are even missing in the first place. This is too far out; however, Retro might be working on something, possibly Donkey Kong (albeit, none of the kongs are advertisement characters, per se, unless they design a new one). In other words 3-5 which is presumably only half the characters which makes sense because more people were clamoring for veterans or third-party characters at the end of Smash 4's life-cycles than "all-stars." Beyond that, most of those people who want Nintendo legacy characters are opposed to 3rd party characters which are realistically the only potential all-stars left. Nintendo is tapped which is why we started moving on to gaming in general.

I digress, I find that complaint to be utterly counter-intuitive.
This is why I think Smash Switch could be "ballot faves" + "Early Switch" now that the era after the last Smash game is shorter than usual

Reminder that Kass is trash compared to Kilton

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't care about all-stars or advertisements, I just want characters with cool movesets
That is the best part, for me, the move-set potential of the Inkling's is HIGH to say the least and the same can be said for Spring Man, in my opinion. Smash has always had weird expanding limbs, I guess. But this time it is lore relevant. I have no idea about Rex and Pyra as I never played the game (I did not really play Arms either, but I get the point, they are Mr. Fantastic only anime... So basically Luffy). But, well, since they need to be together, the potential is there. I am down for each and every one of their move-sets. Because that was the problem with Smash 4. I loved a lot of the characters, I did not really dig many of their move-sets.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I don't really think that matters any more. I think Mario Kart is just as iconic as any main Mario game, and there are plenty of Mario Party and sports games to consider any of their main recurring cast as long-standing Mario characters.

And Waluigi is pretty much in all of them.
Again nothing in the none sample of smash games suggests it is. By that logic any character in multiple mario kart games has a valid arguemnt.
As for the body type. Sorry man not buying it. Ivysaur got deleted. Only quadprod gone.
Every smash character has appeared in a none party game. Every. Single. One. If we want a rep for mario sports game id go daisy and thats still a stretch.
Pettty argument cant see the announcer even saying waluigi. I can see him saying pyra, springman, or even rabbid peach :p

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
If we're talking Mario newcomers, my best choice, favorite choice, and the one that would get me the most hype is Petey Piranha.

But since that's never happening, I'll take just about anyone. Paper Mario, (Captain) Toad, Daisy, Waluigi, King Boo, Petey, Dry Bones, you name it. Mario is my favorite franchise, and the literal face of Nintendo, and I wouldn't mind its representation expanding at all. And I could come up with unique movesets and gameplay quirks for each and every one of them.

Morbi

Scavenger
Again nothing in the none sample of smash games suggests it is. By that logic any character in multiple mario kart games has a valid arguemnt.
As for the body type. Sorry man not buying it. Ivysaur got deleted. Only quadprod gone.
Every smash character has appeared in a none party game. Every. Single. One. If we want a rep for mario sports game id go daisy and thats still a stretch.
Pettty argument cant see the announcer even saying waluigi. I can see him saying pyra, springman, or even rabbid peach :p
It is literally the same as Luigi... But you add a "Wa" before it. Wa... as in Wario. It is not that much of a stretch, my dude.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I usually don't like making predictions about this but I feel like these would be the obvious ones that I can say about the roster:

All the fighters that were in 3DS/Wii U will make a comback, especially the 3rd Party characters.

Most of the gets won't have a lot of redesigns like Link (or even Zelda/Sheik), Samus and possibly Fox and Falco but there will be a few overhauls on movesets

Splatoon and ARMS will not only receive 1 but each will have 2 newcomers

There will be a higher focus on First-Party newcomers than 3rd party.

Ice Climbers and Wolf will be the only returning vets.

At least one AT will be upgraded

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Let's just have crash in smash! It's a crime that crash bandicoot isn't even in the game yet, and it would be an even bigger crime if he didn't make it into smash for switch.

Dear Mr. Sakurai,
Pray you don't disappoint me.

Morbi

Scavenger
I usually don't like making predictions about this but I feel like these would be the obvious ones that I can say about the roster:

All the fighters that were in 3DS/Wii U will make a comback, especially the 3rd Party characters.

Most of the gets won't have a lot of redesigns like Link (or even Zelda/Sheik), Samus and possibly Fox and Falco but there will be a few overhauls on movesets

Splatoon and ARMS will not only receive 1 but each will have 2 newcomers

There will be a higher focus on First-Party newcomers than 3rd party.

Ice Climbers and Wolf will be the only returning vets.

At least one AT will be upgraded
That would be sick, I never really thought about it. I wanted Callie and Marie or maybe even the Octoling spy, once they showed her. But once we got the generic Inklings, I just figured that was it.

And Arms, well, from what I can tell, most people really dislike Spring Man for whatever reason. So having a second could give them their precious Min Min. Personally, I feel as though Ribbon Girl could just be an alternate and call it a day. Splatoon is a bit more deserving of a second character than Arms. However, I would not complain.

I honestly disagree. There are so few first-party characters that will make a general audience excited.

I hope Mewtwo does... But I am not expecting it. Sakurai has made it clear that he somehow does not understand the appeal.

Does that count Isaac? Because he just up and disappeared last game, lmfao.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
WALUIGI OR GET OUT

...Ok, I would actually love to see Paper Mario as well. TYD is my favorite game of all time (my username is proof on that front), and he could actually do a lot of things to be different from the Mario we’ve seen in past titles. Plus, another 2D, flat character would be cool.
As much as I’d love those characters, Toad deserves to be in. The little guy should’ve been added in Brawl.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
That would be sick, I never really thought about it. I wanted Callie and Marie or maybe even the Octoling spy, once they showed her. But once we got the generic Inklings, I just figured that was it.

And Arms, well, from what I can tell, most people really dislike Spring Man for whatever reason. So having a second could give them their precious Min Min. Personally, I feel as though Ribbon Girl could just be an alternate and call it a day. Splatoon is a bit more deserving of a second character than Arms. However, I would not complain.

I honestly disagree. There are so few first-party characters that will make a general audience excited.

I hope Mewtwo does... But I am not expecting it. Sakurai has made it clear that he somehow does not understand the appeal.

Does that count Isaac? Because he just up and disappeared last game, lmfao.
It's gonna be Springman and Ribbon Girl

If they don't like Springman, that's on them because there's no way Sakurai is gonna choose anyone else over the face of the series.

And if you're argument that he's boring? Well if you consider a fighter who uses his stretchy arms to punch his opponents and can be use in various different ways as attacks especially the other ARMS as boring then that's kinda shocking.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Waluigi has more moveset potential than Pauline.
Not so much that as much as Pauline's sources of moveset potential clash as Mini-Mario's wouldn't fit her Odyssey persona.
Her original Donkey Kong and whatever moveset potential it gives would only work in combination with New Donk City influences

So you either get the outdates but unique Mini Marios or the chaos remix of whatever retro things you can find in NDC

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Man I can’t believe they're gonna cut Mario like that
Mario was never sure to be in, being part of the original 12 is not enough. Clearly it's Gonzales who is going to take his spot and that we saw in the shadow.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All I want are characters I like, too bad most of them are either obscure or have no chances at all. Like an Etrian Odyssey character, or ****ing Wonder-Red

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
If I had to bet on any new Mario character, it'd probably be Captain Toad (though not sure how that'd work with the whole not being able to jump thing). Aside from him I can maybe see Waluigi. While I don't really care for him all that much, it would be nice to have the brother quartet completed, and there's not really any other recurring Mario character that I see getting added.

I doubt they'll do more than one Mario character this time anyways, considering they added two last time (three if you count Doc's return). I'm hoping they'd want to focus more on some other franchises like DK, Kirby or Metroid.

EDIT: Also as cool as Pauline would be, I'm almost certain she'll just be part of the Odyssey/NDC stage.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Daily reminder that Sidon is trash compared to Kass.
Those be fighting words.
Waluigi has more moveset potential than Pauline.
I disagree, Pauline has a unique and coherent moveset using the minis alone. Adding the DK Arcade stuff and Cappy only boosts her potential.
And if you're argument that he's boring? Well if you consider a fighter who uses his stretchy arms to punch his opponents and can be use in various different ways as attacks especially the other ARMS as boring then that's kinda shocking.
He's boring in comparison to other ARMS characters, though his enthusiasm is endearing and cute. In Smash pretty much any ARMS characters is gonna stand out by miles.

Stratos

Smash Ace
The Trophy Stand is a exciting item. I hope for new Adventure Mode like the "Subspace Emissary" and turn the enemies and bosses into trophies.

Morbi

Scavenger
All I want are characters I like, too bad most of them are either obscure or have no chances at all. Like an Etrian Odyssey character, or ****ing Wonder-Red
My most wanted is basically Ganondorf. That would be the best newcomer the game could possibly add. Second place is Black Shadow. If you connect the dots something really obvious presents itself.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Those be fighting words.

I disagree, Pauline has a unique and coherent moveset using the minis alone. Adding the DK Arcade stuff and Cappy only boosts her potential.

He's boring in comparison to other ARMS characters, though his enthusiasm is endearing and cute. In Smash pretty much any ARMS characters is gonna stand out by miles.
Agreed.
Pauline has a unique and cohorent moveset using the minis alone

Then her Odyssey persona comes in and makes it cluttered and chaotic when it reaches for a Rosalina-esque approach of powers she doesn't have.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
The Trophy Stand is a exciting item. I hope for new Adventure Mode like the "Subspace Emissary" and turn the enemies and bosses into trophies.
I enjoy collecting trophies in the smash games.

I remember during the Brawl days trying to catch Meta Ridley with a trophy stand, but I kept feeling because the trophy would usually drop when Ridley transforms airborne. Oh and the timer that boss fight had was also something.

D

Deleted member

My most wanted is basically Ganondorf. That would be the best newcomer the game could possibly add. Second place is Black Shadow. If you connect the dots something really obvious presents itself.
I don't like you anymore, do not touch the Disrespect King >:^(

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I’d assume you’re referring to the idea of Black Shadow taking Gandondorf’s current moveset and style, since a darker, stronger, slower Captain Falcon would suit him very well, down the purple flame effects.

I’ve always liked this idea, and think it’s probably the best way to give Ganondorf a more suiting moveset, while at the same time appeasing those who like to play as the bulky, darker Captain Falcon clone he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom