• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaotix12345

Smash Rookie
To be fair this one was mostly people writing it off as fake and moving on, probably because it was a close in-game screen shot taken with a camera that are almost always written off.
Yeah, the only real thing that brought Sassy Geno back into the public eye which followed by it quickly being disproven was the proposed idea that a previous leak had ticked off Square-Enix. That leak wasn't fully dead at the time, so focus shifted to the possibility of there being more to it than meets the eye. (Which there wasn't.)

On that note, I'm still pulling for Geno being the rumored Square rep in Ultimate. I'm kinda 50/50 on the Grinch leak in general, but Super Mario RPG is my all-time favorite game and Geno being playable would be a DREAM.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Alot of Digimon Anime binging i imagine.. Celebration too. maybe a few death battle memes.. fun times
Have Tai the tamer function as a Pokemon Trainer like person in the background who can Digivolve Agumon, and we can have a recreation of the Death Battle between Charizard and Agumon.

D

Deleted member

I wonder, how would the whole internet react if Agumon was in the game as either base or DLC? I'd expect the internet to be pretty wild about it.
I would be neutral, unless the DigiRap gets in too. Then I'd join the rest of the Internet in celebration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrono.

DIGIMON DIGITAL MONSTERS DIGIMON ARE THE CHAMPIONS

For some of us, All Star wasn't the Shrek song.

It was the Digimon the Movie song.

And no, that's not edited in, the dub really did place it there.

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
These reptilians are brainwashing us and taking over!
Repent!
Repent!
Are you the real He-Man wearing an 80's hat in a kinda cool background for the time but now looks retro and since the 80's are returning it is cool as hell, or just obsessed with him?

Graizen

Smash Champion
Happy to see people loving Agumon in Smash! =)

Maybe we could ask alot for Agumon now that all the favorite characters are in Smash!

MainJPW

M.T.A
This leak is painful because on one hand I want it to be real because Banjo is in and he's my most wanted, but on the other I want it to be fake because I want to be surprised. The wait for a direct is literally so painful.
I feel like It’d be surprising if we got those characters anyway, in a “I cannot believe this is actually happening” sort of way.

It also fuels the whole “Grinch leaking the Smash roster” craze. I don’t think anyone would ever get over that.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Alright, listened to a bit of Spawncast. Felt like they were winding down their Smash discussion, so I've decided to take a break here. My random thoughts:

- We have speculated about everything, including the hanger image
- Wishlist =/= fake (and not just the reason it's believable)
- Not all characters are real (speculation or knowledge?)
- Spawn Wave: Banjo 50/50
- Yes, some of the Smash community has been embarrasing
- Nintendo conspiracy: Nintendo wouldn't pay you to shut up, but they can take stuff away (not that I believe this, I just think you don't know as much as you think you do)
- Why fake? Missing Incineroar, missing character =/= fake
- If Incineroar was in, they would believe it more (then that only means it's not the full cast if true)
- They've kept these all secret? A good point I've thought (though some have been hidden, mainly echoes)
- Nate has absolutely no clue why people believe it (we have many reasons it's not just any ole blurry leak)
- Will those who believe it apologize if fake? **** no. The only people who should apologize are those harrassing people (which they should do immediately). Nate is being an arrogant ****. Just because some Smash fans have been ******** doesn't mean you should be arrogant to everyone else in return.
- We will be having the game soon and it doesn't matter. So why the arrogance? (case of Liam being rational and Nate should take some pointers)
- Banjo base roster: decided in 2015 (Spencer's tweet was in 2015 and could have actually led to them being buddy buddy now)
- Banjo game exclusive, then on the Switch. I like this guy.
- Liam: "I think the biggest obstacle to it right now is just the factor of Nintendo's pride. The fact it's run by old conservative white men who will see this as bending the knee to one of their competitor's, I think. So they might veto it. That's the way Nintendo is, they're very stubborn and I think a part of asking them for Banjo in Smash is a bit like them admitting they're running out of characters and then going to their competitor's. Obviously that's ridiculous but that may be a factor we haven't seen them so far." Still borderline racist, but still had a decent point at the end (one I've thought about).

Overall, not as bad in context as @TotsBS said, though there were still arguments I felt infuriating (and in the case of Nate, hypocritical). I also think the quote of Liam's is better in context, though he definitely used the wrong choice of words. It is an argument one could have--if we hadn't known everything else about Nintendo and Microsoft's relationship through what they've released in combination together as well as if Verge's Minecraft rumors are correct.
Before I go to bed, I'll just say one or two things regarding this list of points.
"Wishlist =/= fake (and not just the reason it's believable)"
True.​
"Nate has absolutely no clue why people believe it (we have many reasons it's not just any ole blurry leak)"
Well, gee; maybe if you actually looked into what's believable about the leak instead of blindly believing your source, huh? (The sarcasm is mostly for comedic effect)
"Will those who believe it apologize if fake? **** no. The only people who should apologize are those harrassing people (which they should do immediately). Nate is being an arrogant ****. Just because some Smash fans have been ******** doesn't mean you should be arrogant to everyone else in return."
Good point.​
This leak is painful because on one hand I want it to be real because Banjo is in and he's my most wanted, but on the other I want it to be fake because I want to be surprised. The wait for a direct is literally so painful.

Also, I haven't posted in 4 years. Hello!
A fleeting "surprise" will be nothing compared to actually being able to see Banjo & Kazooie in action for the first time in a decade.

EDIT: Also, welcome back. :grin:

Last edited:

Chrono.

I don't even remember what the details were but it's the fact that during the box theory era we got to such lows we even created a color theory

But if you ask me all this is the fault of chair theory
The Color Theory was a ****post lol, not a serious theory or anything.

RandysRage

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere between the North and South Poles
A funny thought just came to me: what if the last Nintendo/Smash Direct before Dec 7th is announced ahead of time to be only about 20-odd minutes long; would that be nearly long enough to showcase the 7 supposed characters from the Grinch leak and unveil what Spirits mode will be all about, among other features?

Even the pre-determined LENGTH of the Direct could be sufficient to disprove or confirm this thing.

This is gonna be a fun November.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
You know, I think a cool way for Nintendo when deciding the ARMS rep for Smash, they should do a poll where you choose between all of ARMS characters, vote for the one you want, and in [x amount of time] it closes, and whoever finishes with the most votes gets into Smash Ultimate as DLC.

I'd rally for Twintelle like crazy if this happened.

Chrono.

A funny thought just came to me: what if the last Nintendo/Smash Direct before Dec 7th is announced ahead of time to be only about 20-odd minutes long; would that be nearly long enough to showcase the 7 supposed characters from the Grinch leak and unveil what Spirits mode will be all about, among other features?

Even the pre-determined LENGTH of the Direct could be sufficient to disprove or confirm this thing.

Then it's revealed to be a 3 minute direct.

A trailer for Banjo.
And his banner placement and art ends up 1:1 with the leak.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Imagine if they didn't reveal the run time of the direct beforehand

kylexv

Smash Master
Here are the characters that have yet to appear on the blog. We have six weeks of blog posts until launch:

:ultyoshi::ultzelda::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultgnw:
:ultmetaknight::ultzss::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultolimar:
:ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultrobin::ultbayonetta:

and any unrevealed newcomers.​

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Even up until the live release of the video, people are going to argue if that's enough time.

"THAT'S NOT ENOUGH TIME FOR 5 CHARACTERS"

"THEY COULD SQUEEZE IT IN."

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Banjo + Minecraft would make sense.

And yeah, them willing to believe it more if it had Incineroar is definitely them just disbelieving it due to missing characters, making their other points just pure speculation based on their sources' info.
Yeah, it all seems to be lining up. Doesn't mean it's happening, and doesn't mean they're in the base. But to me, this is what makes Banjo more than 50/50:
- Spencer's Tweet acknowledging they would work with Nintendo was in 2015, the same time as the ballot and when their popularity surged once people thought Banjo might be possible, and also around the same time Minecraft for Wii U was being developed/released
- Rather than promoting their image of Banjo, Microsoft has been using the N64 versions of Banjo & Kazooie for their merch this year. Might just be because of their 20th anniversary, but it really seems less like a Microsoft decision and more of a Sakurai decision
- Verge rumors Minecraft is in, and I could see a logical pathway: Sakurai sees Banjo's popularity in 2015, twists some arms and takes some risk by going to Microsoft, their relationship starts there and includes Minecraft content as well as them being buddy buddy on crossplay.
- Rumored N64 mini coming out as well, so if all of this is possibly true it also might mean Rare content on it (which means both Microsoft and Nintendo would benefit from this arrangement, it's not just Microsoft getting something out of it)
- Banjo's on the questionable Grinch banner, but this might not be true--there are characters that insiders know are in the game that are on there, but Banjo's not the one they seem to be referring to given their uncertainty of his inclusion. Still, it looks like the banner can be true and not inconsistent with what they say they know.
- One downside has been nobody's actually rumored Banjo--could be a King K Rool situation. And Spawn Wave as well as the other insiders, while thinking it's unlikely, don't think it's impossible given what they know, Spawn Wave even going 50/50. As well as Papa Genos source who has a Microsoft source saying they know Banjo's in, in some form. Take with a grain of salt, as it's a source with a source, but it's something to note.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
To be honest, Im glad there is enough doubt surrounding the leak that it cant be proven or disproven. This way if it gets confirmed real I will still feel that rush of excitement cleansing away the doubts. :) I am team real, but if its fake then so be it. But leak or not, I need Geno. This is the most likely he has ever been. If he isnt in, then Id be crushed. And thatd be true even without the leak.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Anybody else remember color theory?

My how far we've come
I believe we need to amend that theory.

Red: Ken
Other Red: Incineroar
Brown with Red: Banjo-Kazooie
Brown: Simon
Orange: Inkling
Yellow-Orange: Daisy
Yellow: Isaac
Bright Yellow: Isabelle
Green: The Chad Grinch
Darker Green: King K. Rool
Cyan: Mach Rider
Cyan 2: Steve?
Paler Blue: Richter
Blue: Geno
Purple: Ridley
Other Purple: pls mai boi Skull Kid
Other Other Purple: Gengar too
White: Chorus Kids
Black: Shadow the Edgehog

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
So in summary, this is what I think happened...

-"Insiders" were fed misinformation about the roster, mainly things about Incineroar and Steve. Whether they knew it was misinformation is anyone's guess.

-This was the red herring to lead us away from leaks speculating on the real roster because Sakurai wanted the real roster to sound like a pipe dream of "never-evers"

-Eric Bricard brought his grandkid into work one day. We've seen the ACP-PLV building and it's more than large enough to give a tour of. Grandkid (who I believe is also named Eric Bricard) snapchatted something he shouldn't have to his friends, believing it wouldn't actually go anywhere, which turned out not to be the case because his friends got ahold of it.

-ACP-PLV has refrained from commenting officially because they simply cannot do so, any form of comment would basically further spill the beans.

-Many youtube channels that were all about discussing certain leaks in the past have clammed up about the Grinch leak, leading me to believe that Nintendo has told them to clam up about this one and dismiss it as hard as they can.

And TBH, it's this last point that pushed me into team real. Remember, these youtubers are basically throwing ad revenue away by NOT talking about this leak, and given that this is the most news SSBU has seen in a while, they should be absolutely eating this stuff up like starving dogs.

The only explanation as to why they aren't is because Nintendo has told them they won't get any early copies or whatnot if they don't work as hard as they can to push the leak out of the public eye, which is ironically having the opposite effect for many people.

The only other thing I can come up with is a literally insane theory that Sakurai planned this whole thing to reignite the hype fire leading up to the release, but I doubt it because he'd be giving away the very best parts of what should've been amazing surprises. If this leak was faked by Sakurai himself, he'd have shown the banner with no one but Ken and Incineroar added.

So yeah, I think it's real, and all of the "insiders" and youtube channels who used to love to talk about fake leaks suddenly trying to push this one away is what finally convinced me.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Calling it now:

Incineroar is Day 1 DLC that's "Free if you have a Nintendo Online Subscription".
Missed opportunity for Nintendo in terms of character there if they wanted to scumbag people into getting the subscription, but I guess if they paywalled Geno there'd be riots in the streets

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I believe we need to amend that theory.

Red: Ken
Other Red: Incineroar
Brown with Red: Banjo-Kazooie
Brown: Simon
Orange: Inkling
Yellow-Orange: Daisy
Yellow: Isaac
Bright Yellow: Isabelle
Green: The Chad Grinch
Darker Green: King K. Rool
Cyan: Mach Rider
Cyan 2: Steve?
Paler Blue: Richter
Blue: Geno
Purple: Ridley
Other Purple: pls mai boi Skull Kid
Other Other Purple: Gengar too
White: Chorus Kids
Black: Shadow the Edgehog
Oh yeah, have Shadow next to the color black just because he's black. Really non-racist there.

Just joking, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom