• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Btw I think its insane to assume that Incineroar will be DLC, no offense... but who would actually buy that..

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't think you want this real
Then you're wrong. I'm team fake at heart because I want this to be real and refuse to be heartbroken.
Geno and Shadow are in my top 4 most wanted. Banjo-Kazooie would make me beyond ecstatic. Chorus Kids would feel cozy and make me happy to finally have them in. Isaac I'd be overjoyed for his fans who fought this long. Ken's cool. And Mach Rider is the GOAT retro rep.

But the fake points stand and they stand tall.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I think i am switching to #teamreal but i still think incineroar is playable. Very well be DLC

Like Mewtwo

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
What is happening to Omni? This feels like reading the whole Etika situation all over again. Is this leak making people crazy or something?

Wambo

Smash Ace
https://www.strawpoll.me/16725461/r

with hundreds of votes over 80% think this is real

-most of /v/ thinks it's real

-most of ResetERA thinks it's real

-most of GameFAQs thinks it's real

-most of Reddit thinks it's real

I think when people say "hype responsibly" they mean "don't 100% assume this is real or you may be tremendously disappointed"
#TeamReal 'til the bitter end. There's just too much going for it at this point and I think everyone is starting to realize that.

>Recent trademark renewals for all characters in leak
>Rifle from Sakurai's gun being used somehow
>The leak itself, of course
>New items appears to be "Growth" from Golden Sun, hinting Isaac along with Rathalos Twitter pic
>Phil Spencer on board with Banjo in Smash + Nintendo/Microsoft collaboration
>Similarities to ESRB leak and endless, nitpick comparisons
>Verge says another SE rep is in, possibly referring to Geno
>Sakurai picking mostly from ballot
>Mach Rider, Geno, and Chorus Men were all planned characters at some point
>Various details in leak, including vines + Flint with Isaac, the Chorus Men are with the Conductor
>Brand-new character art. Matches no existing art online

I'm finding it really difficult to not believe the leak currently. Any more reasons I'm missing?

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
If Sakurai let one character be hidden Incineroar makes 100% sense and you know it.
Is it gonna happen? Nope. But if Sakurai tricked us this one time, which he didn't, it'd be Incineroar.
Why? Why does Incineroar make "100% sense" and how is this so obvious? Is it supposed to be a wrestling joke?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I find it funny when people say folks like myself don't want this to be real.

It's like they've already forgotten the most staunch defender of the sassy one that never was.

So very few /want/ this to be fake but would you rather be team fake and be VERY PLEASANTLY surprised or team real and have a good chance at disappointment?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I think i am switching to #teamreal but i still think incineroar is playable. Very well be DLC

Like Mewtwo
But why though?
It makes no sense for Incineroar to be DLC...
Generation 8 is coming out next year and if we were to get any Pokemon as DLC, it'd be a gen 8 Pokemon...

I'm like 80% Confident that Incineroar's in the base game...

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
That is what I am thinking. There is a build out there that had Isabelle, Incineroar, and Ken, and that is how Vergeben (and other insiders) found out about those characters. Incineroar being in playable form makes it flat out bizarre if he is missing from the final game, and even if he is still in, that means there is a whopping EIGHT fighters left for them to unveil in just 40 days before the game's launch.

Think about the odds for a second. If the Grinch leak is correct that means out all of the chances for them to get a character that was not in that test build as opposed to the three that were for the next reveal (which ended up being Isabelle):
1. Incineroar
2. Isabelle
3. Ken
4. Shadow
5. Banjo-Kazooie
6. Mach Rider
7. Chorus Kids
8. Geno
9. Isaac

2/3 chance for them to pick a character that was not part of that test build for the next reveal, yet it ended up being Isabelle.

Sakurai has given us repeated statements leading us to believe that there will be noticeably less newcomers this time (and Sakurai does count echoes as newcomers) than there were for prior games:
1. During the E3 2018 direct. "I hope you were not expecting too many new fighters"
2. During the 8/8 direct. "This time we plan to reveal the design to every fighter before the game launched. We will have a few more to announce later. So stay tuned." (this was even before K. Rool was revealed)
3. In the September Famitsu column. "If you were expecting a steady stream of newcomer reveals before the game's launch, you are sorely mistaken. We will be living modestly from here on out." He also made a comment implying he may have revealed too many newcomers early on.

Taken altogether if the Grinch leak is the truth, then Sakurai was flat out lying to get fans guards down and blow them away.
Odds, schmodds. They didn't pull a character out of a hat at random to reveal. They deliberately picked Isabelle to tie her Smash reveal in with the Animal Crossing 2019 reveal. Besides, it would just be stupid for them to reveal a character not already present in an internal build of the game. It's pretty much impossible to make gameplay footage of a character who's still on the drawing board.

D

Deleted member

Btw I think its insane to assume that Incineroar will be DLC, no offense... but who would actually buy that..
You underestimate Pokemon. Anything under that brand will make massive amounts of money.

Plus, there's a pretty big fanbase for Incineroar. He's ranked pretty decently on the Japanese polls.

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice
Let's be clear, even those on team fake don't WANT it to be fake. If the last reveals are Ken and Incelroar it means we live in the most disappointing of all possible worlds.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Have any insiders said more than “it’s not real because it lacks _____” or “it’s not real because it isn’t”? I would be compelled, or at least more than smug, if anyone could definitively say “it’s not real BECAUSE _____ is in”, something to that extent. A claim based on some kind of evidence we HAVE, not some evidence we lack. You know?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If this leak is real, all of us should show respect to the Grinch, by seeing his new movie...
I think it's a fair deal

Weeman

Smash Crusader
"struggling"

I think it's more team fake has clear evidence (the disrepancies which cannot be explained away with artifacts) while team real is saying "Well, I Mean, It Can't Be Confirmed Or Deconfirmed"

Before you come at me; look at my icon and tell me if I want this to be real or not.
Why do you hate Geno man, he would be so cool in smash!
You're clearly biased against the leak, it's pratically 99.97846474647764% confirmed.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Have any insiders said more than “it’s not real because it lacks _____” or “it’s not real because it isn’t”? I would be compelled, or at least more than smug, if anyone could definitively say “it’s not real BECAUSE _____ is in”, something to that extent. A claim based on some kind of evidence we HAVE, not some evidence we lack. You know?
Insiders are vague for a reason is the thing. Though yea I hate the smug thing.
If they aren't vague they could give away their source.

D

Deleted member

But why though?
Generation 8 is coming out next year and if we were to get any Pokemon as DLC, it'd be a gen 8 Pokemon...

8th Gen or Zeraora.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It does if it's a tie-in to the Pokémon anime and TPC doesn't want anyone (other than the Pokémon games themselves) doing anything with Incineroar until Ash gets one. (Which could be in Spring 2019, while we might not get Gen 8 until November 2019)

Especially if his Incineroar ends up special in some way and informing the Smash one's Final Smash.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Something that might not matter in the end but may be a point against the leak is this Sakurai quote:

Since the project is so big with so many people to confer with outside of the project, we were very cautious about what information we gave out. We took a number of precautionary measures: we opted against setting up displays, and we avoided printed materials. All we had was an enormous screen that showed nothing until the day of the announcement.
-From Source Gaming

Granted, it's about "Everyone is Here!"/E3, but it's possible they'll have this approach for the whole game, only printing what's absolutely necessary, and since we're so close to release, idk what they could need a printed banner for, unless it's the final banner. All the insiders saying Incineroar make me question the whole thing. Why would a random printing company have an incomplete banner?

Darkraid

Smash Champion
But why though?

Maybe because Sakurai had a slot for a Pokemon rep but did not know who at the planning stage which was in 2016.

So he made the decision of who the rep is so he was unable to finish him in time for base game. Or day 1 DLC.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
So very few /want/ this to be fake but would you rather be team fake and be VERY PLEASANTLY surprised or team real and have a good chance at disappointment?
I have no huge stakes in this since Phoenix Wright isn't iinvolved, but honestly, considering how despite both sides presenting evidence the leak hasn't been been proven fake, I'd lean more towards it being real.

Also, I'd rather be on the team that actually describes how I feel in the matter, rather than the old "save yourself from disappointment ", excuse that some people use when actively trying to lower morale.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Something that might not matter in the end but may be a point against the leak is this Sakurai quote:

-From Source Gaming

Granted, it's about "Everyone is Here!"/E3, but it's possible they'll have this approach for the whole game, only printing what's absolutely necessary, and since we're so close to release, idk what they could need a printed banner for, unless it's the final banner. All the insiders saying Incineroar make me question the whole thing. Why would a random printing company have an incomplete banner?
If this is the final banner, yeah, that's necessary.
If it isn't, well, that's one of the few things where one can actually say "doesn't matter we're not gonna know until the next Direct".

This is a point that we can't really stick with as it's outdated and nothing can go for it until we get news

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Insiders are vague for a reason is the thing. Though yea I hate the smug thing.
If they aren't vague they could give away their source.
I expect them to be vague, just for whatever reason I’d be more skeptical too if they could cite a character in the leak that deconfirms it. A “missing” character could just be like the Gematsu situation, whereas a character that they know to be deconfirmed would really call in to question the validity of the leak. Without naming names they could state as much.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post. :3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom