• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
IDK if this has been brought up but someone in the Isaac thread might have been able to explain why the Background in the leak is different

https://smashboards.com/threads/get...-smash-ultimate.446390/page-670#post-22603486

I keep reading both sides on this mural thing and it's really ticking me off that they're forgetting one (or several) crucial element of this whole thing: This mural is specifically made for a sky tube display, not for a wall poster. These are not just simple paper/posters, this is completely different material separated into three parts. Plus, there will possibility be light inside. If you wanted to make the characters standout and not get clashed with certain elements in the background, you would make certain edits to the background itself. And for a light being inside, ever tried a lamp with a different shade? It looks different when the light is on, right? Whatever colors their using for this sky tube, it's to make it so the light brings it to life.

I don't understand why no one talks about this. Unless I've missed it.

I'm no expert at this. Just observations I've been making. People are forgetting what this mural's purpose is for.

Edit: words
And this reply

https://smashboards.com/threads/get...-smash-ultimate.446390/page-671#post-22603659

I can vouch for this. I had 2 jobs (as a freelancer I am) for this type of promotional strategy and I was annoyed to HELL by the person who hired me to change colors over and over again till they could work nicely with the light. It is definitely something that is done otherwise things might be lost and therefore kill what you're trying to show to the viewers. This also applies to other types of promo material that has light behind it, like at certain bus stops with posters that have light behind it so they can be watchable at night, those also go through inspection during WIP faces before having a final version for printing and such, of course there are testing versions that need to be printed prior.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
>Incineroar as hidden character

HA HA NO. didn't Sakurai say that he was planning to reveal all characters before the release?
If Sakurai let one character be hidden Incineroar makes 100% sense and you know it.
Is it gonna happen? Nope. But if Sakurai tricked us this one time, which he didn't, it'd be Incineroar.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I don't really understand the hype responsibly thing. Like, what does that even mean?

Also, I don't understand people who say you have to like this roster. No one has to like anything. People have different opinions, y'know? If people wanna voice some disappointments, let 'em. There is no harm in that.
https://www.strawpoll.me/16725461/r

with hundreds of votes over 80% think this is real

-most of /v/ thinks it's real

-most of ResetERA thinks it's real

-most of GameFAQs thinks it's real

-most of Reddit thinks it's real

I think when people say "hype responsibly" they mean "don't 100% assume this is real or you may be tremendously disappointed"

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Not saying she hasn't, I just haven't seen. When has she thrown fits about being wrong?
E3 2011 I think it was. This is infamous for when she got almost everything she claimed as a fact would happen wrong. Beforehand her track record was shakey so she got pissed and said if she was wrong about ANYTHING at E3 she’d stop leaking. Low and behold she was wrong but came back like 3 months later.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Assuming they're even reacting to Snake
That's not referencing anything.

MGSV has Venom Snake as the protagonist
Venom Snake hunts dozens of other animals
Venom Snake doesn't use the nikita launcher
Solid Snake doesn't hunt bears or animals.
It's reaching way too hard for what's supposed to be a reference.

Now if Snake was trying to fulton them, I'd agree.
Snake is going to eat them and when Sakurai asked where they went he panicked and brought Incineroar. Luckily for Snake, Sakurai didn't have his contacts and didn't notice

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It also makes me think that whatever they saw, it wasn't a mural leak. They'd know if Ken's pose matched otherwise.

Or it WAS a mural leak and Ken was in a different pose. But my money is on them having seen a build of the game with Ken and Incineroar in it, and that build is the same one from the Ken leak.
That is what I am thinking. There is a build out there that had Isabelle, Incineroar, and Ken, and that is how Vergeben (and other insiders) found out about those characters. Incineroar being in playable form makes it flat out bizarre if he is missing from the final game, and even if he is still in, that means there is a whopping EIGHT fighters left for them to unveil in just 40 days before the game's launch.

Think about the odds for a second. If the Grinch leak is correct that means out all of the chances for them to get a character that was not in that test build as opposed to the three that were for the next reveal (which ended up being Isabelle):
1. Incineroar
2. Isabelle
3. Ken
4. Shadow
5. Banjo-Kazooie
6. Mach Rider
7. Chorus Kids
8. Geno
9. Isaac

2/3 chance for them to pick a character that was not part of that test build for the next reveal, yet it ended up being Isabelle.

Sakurai has given us repeated statements leading us to believe that there will be noticeably less newcomers this time (and Sakurai does count echoes as newcomers) than there were for prior games:
1. During the E3 2018 direct. "I hope you were not expecting too many new fighters"
2. During the 8/8 direct. "This time we plan to reveal the design to every fighter before the game launched. We will have a few more to announce later. So stay tuned." (this was even before K. Rool was revealed)
3. In the September Famitsu column. "If you were expecting a steady stream of newcomer reveals before the game's launch, you are sorely mistaken. We will be living modestly from here on out." He also made a comment implying he may have revealed too many newcomers early on.

Taken altogether if the Grinch leak is the truth, then Sakurai was flat out lying to get fans guards down and blow them away.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
https://www.strawpoll.me/16725461/r

with hundreds of votes over 80% think this is real

-most of /v/ thinks it's real

-most of ResetERA thinks it's real

-most of GameFAQs thinks it's real

-most of Reddit thinks it's real

I think when people say "hype responsibly" they mean "don't 100% assume this is real or you may be tremendously disappointed"
Was tough voting no, but I did.
Make it 29 my boys. :"/

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Inceniroar is the new Mewtwo as far as I'm concerned. Lots of insiders insisted on the ESRB leak to be fake or incomplete because Mewtwo was missing, not considering a DLC angle. That's why I think Inceniroar and Dixie will wind up being the first two DLC characters ala Mewtwo and Lucas.

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
I don't really understand the hype responsibly thing. Like, what does that even mean?

Also, I don't understand people who say you have to like this roster. No one has to like anything. People have different opinions, y'know? If people wanna voice some disappointments, let 'em. There is no harm in that.
I think "don't take anything for granted" would be the best way to put it. I've seen many people that have already accepted this leak to be 100% true, and are ultimately setting themselves up for massive disappointment if it ends up being fake.

I agree that it's no one's right to police someone's expectations, but the problem is that the Internet is the Internet and some people (emphasis on some, though sadly still a large quantity) translate said disappointment into harassment and death threats.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't like the whole "hype responsibly" thing because people who weren't going to even remotely hype responsibly probably won't start. I understand the POINT of it, but like. It's kind of like telling a smoker not to smoke, a lot of the time.

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
How would you guys feel if Squad Strike has cinematic character introductions like the way Dbz fighters has character introductions when one character is defeated and the next one tags in? They should play the characters theme song too like marvel vs Capcom when they tag in. Characters who are from the same series or game could also have special interactions.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That's cause it's 110% real. I'm not assuming.
Source: my sources

The insiders are being paid off to cover up the leak!
(This is a joke)
someone is gonna ignore the fact you said it's a joke and go nuts

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If the leak is real.
I wish Nintendo would have done the direct sooner...
They always wait closer to release... Which in my opinion is playing with fire given how many other companies get invloved with promotion and distribution.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Rusev Day is dead...Rusev had to kill it to take down that ******* Aiden English, all Hail the IIconics, and Banjo would probably get in no matter his placement as base newcomer of dlc newcomer (also Shadow needs to be hella edgy)
Hail the IIconics indeed.. (Im totes a Billie Kay main in WWE2k19) ;)

The question is will Banjo be base roster or dlc? I didnt put him on my predicyions list because its a togh one to call, but I t believe he will likely be in and yes Shadow is going to be awesome with his edgyness.. Oh and hopefully he has a better alt color set than Sonic's generic colors.

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
Look at the comparison! My god!
The stars as gone, the clouds looks different!
Obviously the second image is Fake!
ANY person using Photoshop could do this!

View attachment 172718
Not a very good argument first of all, but can we not make fun of the opposing side's arguments please. Is it that hard of an ask to remain civil over a videogame that's coming out in a month.

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Yo, why do y'all think people like Emily Rogers, Gamexplain, Spawnwave, etc ALL think the leak is fake??? These guys really THAT hung up on Incineroar? Lmao.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
I've made a poll on what team has it easier, by that I mean has a easy way through this leak and its obstacles, Team Real? Or Team Fake? Here's the strawpoll...

https://www.strawpoll.me/16726810
Team fake is struggling to debunk it

Team real meanwhile, have been finding proof for it and debunking claims against it with ease.

kylexv

Smash Master
You know, with how many folks in the know saying Incineroar is in, it's really making me think they've somehow seen video of him.
Literally came here to say exactly this.

The fact that so many insiders are adamant about this leak not being entirely correct is that they have possibly seen some undeniable evidence themselves in the form of video, a clear image, or something along those lines. Honestly, if we knew exactly what the insiders have claim to see/know, we all could make a better judgment about the leak. The fact that most people that would potentially know something like this are claiming the leak is not entirely the real deal makes my doubt that much more.

However, there is still evidence that this is the real deal, so I am currently firmly planted in the middle. I have no idea what to think, but if I were to know what the insiders know from their respective sources, I could make a lot better judgment about it. For all of us here, there is no way to prove this real or fake until Nintendo says so themselves or a leak a lot more credible than this one that contradicts it somehow surfaces.

Spinzilla

Smash Rookie
Honestly, Incineroar would make sense as leak bait.

1. He’s a starter, making him one of the most visible and widely known Pokémon by default
2. On the anime Ash has a Torracat which may evolve soon.
3. The last new Pokémon rep had both of those qualities (although Greninja was picked before he was on the anime I’m sure he pushed to be in smash because of their future plans)
4. There is at least one new Pokémon with every new smash.

All of best would make him seem like a shoe in for the roster even without physical or visible evidence.

It would be a really easy red herring to sell. No pun intended.

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to think Nintendo gave out incineroar as not only leak bait but also as a way to hurt some leakers’ credibility. Thus killing future leaks from gaining too much traction. Probably not though.

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
Like I said before, I'm not taking anything these insiders are saying too seriously because there is a lot of conflicting info. Some of the insiders I believe (Ryce, etc) have basically said that they aren't 100% sure which means, well, they aren't completely sure. Then there is a lot of conflicting info between insiders. I've heard the following at the very least:
  • Only Ken and Incineroar are in.
  • Ken, Incineroar, and a third character is in.
  • 2-8 characters COULD happen, but not confirmed.
  • Banjo is in.
  • All 7 banner characters have been heard/seen but can't be confirmed.
  • Leak is real-ish but some things are off, what exactly is unknown.
  • The leak is COMPLETELY fake.
On top of all of this, every insider insists that their sources can be trusted for sure. I know these insiders are just trying to get on top of things, and I don't think there are any conspiracies happening (people being payed off, etc), there is just one simple fact why I don't believe them: there is too much conflicting information.

Example: I forget which one it was exactly, but an insider came out an basically said he was confident that it was fake. Like 24 hours later he come out and said that it could actually be real, the thing is 50/50 and even admitted that "Smash leaks are uncharted territory"

Again, I don't think anything bad about these insiders. But you can't ask me to believe you because you have sources that can be trusted, while at the same time saying you are receiving conflicting info from said sources (which means someone is wrong), and other insiders and saying believe them with completely different info. I'm sure someone's sources are right -- MAYBE. But when there are so many possibilities being put on the table and it seems only one is right, then nothing is really being achieved because no one can really be believed because of the odds of them specifically being the correct one. If that makes any sense.

I still think it's real, the biggest thing I've seen to disprove it has been the background stuff.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Team fake is struggling to debunk it

Team real meanwhile, have been finding proof for it and debunking claims against it with ease.
"struggling"

I think it's more team fake has clear evidence (the disrepancies which cannot be explained away with artifacts) while team real is saying "Well, I Mean, It Can't Be Confirmed Or Deconfirmed"

Before you come at me; look at my icon and tell me if I want this to be real or not.

Sergeant_Snivy

Smash Rookie
I've made a poll on what team has it easier, by that I mean has a easy way through this leak and its obstacles, Team Real? Or Team Fake? Here's the strawpoll...

https://www.strawpoll.me/16726810
For any good-looking leak, it's a lot easier for people who believe it to point at any aspect and say, "Look at this, this is too good-looking to be fake," than it is people who don't believe it to analyze it for any discrepancies.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I'm totally buying KMDP's theory of the leakers just seeing the list of reveals, a list that was right up until Isabelle's announcement and then just had fake info. If there's Incineroar footage going around it would be highly unlikely that it didn't get leaked, at least partially (a blurry picture or something).

Geno being in the game explains why Vergeben heard something about a Square Enix rep. Ken being in the game explains the leaked Ken image.

And Nintendo lying to the leakers so they would say that there's only two characters left to actually reveal SEVEN characters is an incredibly intelligent strategy. If the banner didn't get leaked it would have been the biggest surprise ever in videogame history.

Last edited:

JellieBomb

Smash Rookie
I think "don't take anything for granted" would be the best way to put it. I've seen many people that have already accepted this leak to be 100% true, and are ultimately setting themselves up for massive disappointment if it ends up being fake.
I'm sure many of us are just convinced because of the complexity of the whole situation, not because we have high expectations. If this leak isn't real, I sure won't be disappointed. Sakurai has already surpassed my expectations.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
So if the leak is fake, then it's pretty safe to assume we're not getting 7/8 newcomers. Heck, this thought wasn't even feasible to me until this leak, so I would bank on four more at most. Ken, Shadow, Banjo, Incineroar seems likely to me. Square rep could be Sora for DLC.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
He was a Poké Ball mon. :troll:
He was both!

If Assist Trophies can be bosses, so can Pokeball Pokemon.

And Incineroar is probably the newest Pokemon that fits that bill perfectly.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Yo, why do y'all think people like Emily Rogers, Gamexplain, Spawnwave, etc ALL think the leak is fake??? These guys really THAT hung up on Incineroar? Lmao.
I'm assuming they've seen evidence of Sunburnt Tony the Tiger Cena, and because of that, they think this leak is fake

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
"struggling"

I think it's more team fake has clear evidence (the disrepancies which cannot be explained away with artifacts) while team real is saying "Well, I Mean, It Can't Be Confirmed Or Deconfirmed"

Before you come at me; look at my icon and tell me if I want this to be real or not.
I don't think you want this real

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Like I said before, I'm not taking anything these insiders are saying too seriously because there is a lot of conflicting info. Some of the insiders I believe (Ryce, etc) have basically said that they aren't 100% sure which means, well, they aren't completely sure. Then there is a lot of conflicting info between insiders. I've heard the following at the very least:
  • Only Ken and Incineroar are in.
  • Ken, Incineroar, and a third character is in.
  • 2-8 characters COULD happen, but not confirmed.
  • Banjo is in.
  • All 7 banner characters have been heard/seen but can't be confirmed.
  • Leak is real-ish but some things are off, what exactly is unknown.
  • The leak is COMPLETELY fake.
On top of all of this, every insider insists that their sources can be trusted for sure. I know these insiders are just trying to get on top of things, and I don't think there are any conspiracies happening (people being payed off, etc), there is just one simple fact why I don't believe them: there is too much conflicting information.

Example: I forget which one it was exactly, but an insider came out an basically said he was confident that it was fake. Like 24 hours later he come out and said that it could actually be real, the thing is 50/50 and even admitted that "Smash leaks are uncharted territory"

Again, I don't think anything bad about these insiders. But you can't ask me to believe you because you have sources that can be trusted, while at the same time saying you are receiving conflicting info from said sources (which means someone is wrong), and other insiders and saying believe them with completely different info. I'm sure someone's sources are right -- MAYBE. But when there are so many possibilities being put on the table and it seems only one is right, then nothing is really being achieved because no one can really be believed because of the odds of them specifically being the correct one. If that makes any sense.

I still think it's real, the biggest thing I've seen to disprove it has been the background stuff.
"All 7 banner characters have been heard/seen but can't be confirmed."
Where's this from?
And where's your example from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom