• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Whoa, when was this
liam implied so two days ago i think, ryce implied so yesterday. his comment implying that he seen physical evidence was something along the lines of “the mural directly contradicts what ive seen” then he made another comment saying that “i find it hard to believe that my source who knew of every character and their reveals would be wrong about one” which makes me think he didnt mean he seen visual proof, he just got a list of characters and their reveals

osby

Smash Obsessed
I WILL END YOU LIKE HOW THIS MOON GETS ENDED

Which symbolizes our sanity going into the void of nothingness
*implying we had sanity to begin with* Lmao. So, I take that as we passed the event horizon?

Sorry, that might have come out more hostile than intended. I'm just poking fun at the fact that, if I had to put all of my experience together, Ken's iconic for being ugly.
It's a shame, he has a lot of 2D art which he's pretty easy on eyes.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Sorry, that might have come out more hostile than intended. I'm just poking fun at the fact that, if I had to put all of my experience together, Ken's iconic for being ugly.
It's fine. That wasn't aimed at you. Not gonna lie though, I just can't see how he is ugly, but maybe I have different tastes.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What if they confused Ken for incineroar, they're both mostly red.
Ken gets so progressively off model with each Street Fighter game that this wouldn't even surprise me. :p

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I know it's unreasonable to expect the insiders to come out with what they've heard, but I would at least like to know whether they've all heard about the same Square rep, because with the situation that Vergeben detailed that's surrounding it perfectly legitimate sources might have been handed the wrong character, and that could be key to at least unravelling some of the confusion.

I assume Emily, Jon and Ryce have all heard about the same one as I imagine they at least try to verify the information with each other (which might not mean much, because even with different sources they could come from the same network), but for all we know they might be sitting with Erdrick, while Spawn has Sora and Mystic has Geno, and who knows what the name Vergeben heard back then was. The mysterious Square rep remains a key in all of this.

Last edited:

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Hey, just seeing though all these posts...and man...there is no winning...

Seriously, neither Team Real or Team Fake have any conclusive evidence, and I don't want to argue with anyone who wants to prove me wrong, we only have points, not conclusive evidence, just wanted to clear that up for people who are lost or New.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
If this leak is real, I don't wanna discredit the artist but...
yeah that's just a coincidence.
Nah. Sakurai is a man that puts a lot of attention to detail, and we already know some characters seem to react to others in the banner. The Banjo-Snake situation is definitely not a coincidence.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
You know, with how many folks in the know saying Incineroar is in, it's really making me think they've somehow seen video of him.
Seeing those people saying that incienroar is in is making me abit of skeptical. I mean, how can you say incieneroar is not in? And no, I think they were told by their sources about him, not video. If they have seen the video, I can bet one of them would take photo of it and then leaked it on 4chan or other webistes.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's fine. That wasn't aimed at you. Not gonna lie though, I just can't see how he is ugly, but maybe I have different tastes.
I mean, I guess his face looks kind of weird sometimes? I don't know. Not sure how Ken got associated with the ugly stick and not like. Blanka.

EDIT: You're probably right about SFV being the cause of it honestly.

Last edited:

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
I don't really know anything about the inner workings of leakers and insiders but I'm assuming that they don't decide on trusting a source based on the material they're given (video or photo evidence), but rather on the credencials provided by the source to prove they're real.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Just gonna say many of those people were verbally against ESRB and ESRB won in the end lol
Actually, literally less than half of these people were here during the ESRB and just GameExplain said it was fake while the others did not give a **** about it

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I know it's unreasonable to expect the insiders to come out with what they've heard, but I would at least like to know whether they've all heard about the same Square rep, because with the situation that Vergeben detailed that's surrounding it perfectly legitimate sources might have been handed the wrong character, and that could be key to at least unravelling some of the confusion.

I assume Emily, Jon and Ryce have all heard about the same one as I imagine they at least try to verify the information with each other (which might not mean much, because even with different sources they could come from the same network), but for all we know they might be sitting with Erdrick, while Spawn has Sora and Mystic has Geno, and who knows what the name Vergeben heard back then was. The mysterious Square rep remains a key in all of this.
I don't think the Squenix rep has come into play in any of the insiders speculations, no?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Whoa, when was this
Went back and found the comment for you.
Ryce said:
I just can't reconcile the possibility of someone knowing all of the August and September character reveals in advance and deciding to lie about the rest. It's also hard for me to think of any potential technical issues that would lead to one of the characters being cut and omitted from the Grinch leak.
This implies that they were given a list of the August, September, October and November reveals, but the Oct/Nov part might have been lies.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey, just seeing though all these posts...and man...there is no winning...

Seriously, neither Team Real or Team Fake have any conclusive evidence, and I don't want to argue with anyone who wants to prove me wrong, we only have points, not conclusive evidence, just wanted to clear that up for people who are lost or New.
I literally just said this a couple of pages ago

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
So... if this leak is fake, what do you think the final characters will look like?

My Predictions
69 Incineroar
60E Ken
38E Shadow
70 Isaac
71 Chorus Kids
69: Incineroar
60E: Ken

Datzit

Alongside them, Steve gets revealed as the first DLC character. Fight Me.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I mean, I guess his face looks kind of weird sometimes? I don't know. Not sure how Ken got associated with the ugly stick and not like. Blanka.

EDIT: You're probably right about SFV being the cause of it honestly.

Eh, I can see where you're going. Why was his design changed so much, though?

D

Deleted member

NGL, I would've preferred Akuma over Ken.

That said, I understand why Ken was chosen (if he's in): He's pretty much considered what standardized clones in fighting games, so he is definitely iconic in that regard. Plus, like the other Echos, it was that or nothing, and even if I don't like him, I'll still take something over nothing.

If we ever get a new unique SF character though, Zangief or Chun-Li please.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Why would you even want to watch them discuss it? Andre's already made it clear that he thinks anyone who believes it sounds like a Trump voter. Whatever that means.
Did he really compare people who believe the in the leak to Trump voters? What a ****. I want this leak to be real even more now.

Runaway5ive

Smash Rookie
NNID
H-Zigga
3DS FC
5241-3197-1770
We have items from series without characters so Isaac isn't a lock. It's probably just Ken and Incineroar left.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I don't think the Squenix rep has come into play in any of the insiders speculations, no?
Only people who mentioned a 3rd character were Verge, Spawn, and Mystic. Verge outright said it was a Square character and Spawn keeps “guessing” Sora. I don’t think Mystic ever said who the possible 3rd character was, and his actual quote was that he had some people telling him there was 3 characters left while others told him there are 7.

KingBroly

Smash Lord

Based on what some have said, if they say what characters they've heard are in, it apparently will out some leakers somehow. That tells you that Nintendo has been seeding fake leaks throughout this entire process.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I think you're thinking of Ken's design in Street Fighter V. Ken is one of the most iconic Player 2's in gaming really.
If you ask me he's Number 2 out of the Number 2's, only behind Luigi
69: Incineroar
60E: Ken

Datzit

Alongside them, Steve gets revealed as the first DLC character. Fight Me.
I wouldn't be too mad with that to be honest.
All 3 of those are among my most wanted...

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Only people who mentioned a 3rd character were Verge, Spawn, and Mystic. Verge outright said it was a Square character and Spawn keeps “guessing” Sora. I don’t think Mystic ever said who the possible 3rd character was, and his actual quote was that he had some people telling him there was 3 characters left while others told him there are 7.
Interesting.

I don't think any insider reliably has the Squenix character with how secretive they are, if even Verge can't nab it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I would've preferred Akuma too, primarily because of visual distinctiveness, but. Honestly, for all the things I hear about Ken being ugly, that Ken image leak looks pretty alright. I really shouldn't be giving Ken flak for looking too same-y when I'm okay with Shadow. :p

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
I literally just said this a couple of pages ago
Did ya? Oh...well who cares, are points still stand...were talking about nothing right now lol. I sincerely hope its either one way or another, because I'm actually getting very frustrated, heres what I think...

I'm on Team: Eliminate me from all this I just don't want Spirits Mode Leaked.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You know, with how many folks in the know saying Incineroar is in, it's really making me think they've somehow seen video of him.
That is my theory too. Just like that leaked screenshot of Ken, I imagine there might be some hard evidence of Incineroar floating around among the "insiders". If the mural had included Incineroar, I would have been inclined to believe that the rest of the characters would have been our DLC. However, Incineroar's absence throws the whole thing into question. With Generation 8 months away, the character does not make sense as DLC even if he is the least popular of the bunch. This whole situation is very curious, and I am being skeptical for now (I was even skeptical on the leaks pertaining to Ridley).

Even if we only get Ken and Incineroar we still have a fantastic roster, and over a year's worth of DLC to look forward to.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Alright, apologies if this has this has already been discussed at length, but what are people's thoughts regarding the connection between the Grinch leak and the Chadondorf text leak?

Are they meant to be from the same source? If so, that would imply that the Grinch leaker, who is supposedly someone working in/near a French company that creates displays (not saying its Eric himself, but someone at least in his proximity), knows all of the stuff laid out in the Chadondorf leak. And that leak mentions cut characters. I don't know much about games development or how they're marketed, but surely such information wouldn't be so widely known that people working in marketing (not in house at Nintendo, but a small third-party contractor) would be aware of it? Unless the Chadondorf text leaker was in cahoots with the marketing firm leaker, and the former is better positioned to acquire such information? Or maybe that stuff about cut characters was deliberately fake, but the rest is real?

I don't know and there's probably a logical explanation for it, but I just can't make sense of it.
The rumors about Banjo/Geno/Isaac/MR/CK/Shadow/Ken being the final newcomers might itself be false info given out by Nintendo to smoke out leakers. We know of at least one other source (Papageno's source's Microsoft contact) that has also heard about these specific characters after all and I think its very unlikely that all three of them are in cahoots.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
[/QUOTE]
Actually, literally less than half of these people were here during the ESRB and just GameExplain said it was fake while the others did not give a **** about it

Which should tell you about how much we SHOULDN'T put all of our stock into trusting "Insiders" who don't even have a track history with previous smash games.

D

Deleted member

Mach Rider and Geno were always the biggest two contenders for that, it's not really that impressive for any of them to be in a leak honestly
And yet for being "the biggest contender" (Geno hardly fits due to having an arm cannon like Samus, Mega Man, and Mii Gunner), just how many times has Mach Rider actually shown up in leaks before Grinchadondorf?

I mean, other leaks that have the "final roster" never factor in that rifle. This is the rare one that actually does.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Has anyone compiled a list of possible references in the mural? (Aside from the obvious ones like Fox vs. Wolf). Like how Pokemon trainer attacking Wario might be a reference to Subspace Emissary. Lucario, Snake, Ike, Olimar and Lucas being so close to each other might have something to do with being Brawl vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom