• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Based on that whole missing number thing, it's likely that the original schedule was this (before the direct got delayed):

• Friday, 9/7: Newcomer Trailer, Newcomer video, and Newcomer memory (134-136)
  • Monday, 9/10: Another new character? (Maybe an echo?) (137)
  • Tuesday, 9/11: Toon Link and Toon Link memory (138 + 139)
  • Wednesday, 9/12: Music Track and stage/assist trophy related to newcomer? (140 + 141)
  • Thursday, 9/13: Bowser (142)
  • Friday, 9/14: Nothing substantial? (143)
  • Monday, 9/17: Nothing substantial? (144)
  • Tuesday, 9/18: Nothing substantial? (145)
  • Wednesday, 9/19: Pikmin Song (146)
Source
Music Track is on Tuesday

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'll laugh if the newcomer turns out to be Isabelle on Thursday. Then we have to wait until like next month or so for the other characters to be revealed. I can only imagine the salt that it wasn't someone like Isaac or Skull Kid.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Both of you forgot the big one: Mother. 3. Which wasn't even officially localized.

His Smash announcements getting spoiled is where he crosses the line, though.
Didn’t forget about it...wasn’t my priority cause Pit

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, at this point, I just want an Echo reveal.

A new character is nice, don't get me wrong, but Echo fighters really feel like they're being made to cater to the more niche audiences, and it's interesting to see who the choices are.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
I'll laugh if the newcomer turns out to be Isabelle on Thursday. Then we have to wait until like next month or so for the other characters to be revealed. I can only imagine the salt that it wasn't someone like Isaac or Skull Kid.
If Isabelle is revealed as a regular newcomer WITH a new Animal Crossing game, I'm pretty sure there won't be much salt. If there is it'll be overshadowed by all the joy people have for a new Animal Crossing.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Honestly, at this point, I just want an Echo reveal.

A new character is nice, don't get me wrong, but Echo fighters really feel like they're being made to cater to the more niche audiences, and it's interesting to see who the choices are.
I play Smash for Smash so honestly I find echoes relatively dull unless they offer something particularly unique/interesting like Chrom did (the balanced blade on the Roy moveset is huge!). Newcomer movesets do a lot more to let me imagine how the game will play, and the actual identity of the newcomers isn't really important to me so much as what things they can do. We have Inkling the mobile pester character, Ridley the heavy extra focused on advantage state, Belmont of the disjointed zoning clan, and K.Rool seemingly the world's most plain and simple heavy who might just have good normals to make it all work. What comes next? That's really the main thing that makes new characters interesting to me.

D

Deleted member

Plot twist: the newcomer is a Pikmin one and this was supposed to be their music update.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I like how people don't realize how popular a character Isabelle is and step on the idea of her as her own character instead of an Echo, as if being unique is impossible.

Personally, I don't care either way. Villager is a fun character mechanically, and playing as Isabelle instead is basically an upgrade to me. So being an echo is totally okay with me. But I don't deny the idea that she could be unique. In fact, I almost expect it, should she be playable.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I was thinking, and since we're one week behind basically, I think we're getting a blog post dump as soon as the Direct ends

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I like how people don't realize how popular a character Isabelle is and step on the idea of her as her own character instead of an Echo, as if being unique is impossible.

Personally, I don't care either way. Villager is a fun character mechanically, and playing as Isabelle instead is basically an upgrade to me. So being an echo is totally okay with me. But I don't deny the idea that she could be unique. In fact, I almost expect it, should she be playable.
Same!!! People keep throwing the idea of her being a clone now that Echoes are a thing, and it could work, but I think she'd make more sense actually being unique

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I am officailly tired.

After so much work, glad that my Takamaru campaign is shaping up good so far. Just opened up the official Twitter and hope to get some Kremling Kampaigner numbers soon.

The only way this week will be perfect is if we can see the Direct in all its glory.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I mean, I still think that there'll be characters Sakurai wants rather than what the fandom wants.

Also Isabelle would be boss, Echo or not.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Speaking of Pikmin, am I the only one who thought they missed a huge missed opportunity to not make Rock Pikmin a random item that could be thrown like Mr.Saturn or Bonsly? I felt pretty confident they were going to do that when they showed that Rock Pikmin weren't a part of Olimar/Alph's moveset in 4 and was kind of let down when they didn't.

Speaking of which, I miss Bonsly. Being able to pick up a poor baby pokemon and just chuck him at people or off the stage is just the meanest thing ever and I want to be able to do it again. They should bring him back.

Chrono.

Yeah idk why everyone has shoehorned her into the echo role (including myself for a bit.)

I'm expecting her to be playable, period. Either way.

Originality

Smash Journeyman

I mean, Dark Samus and Daisy have the capacity to be unique. I think people are just seeing anyone who even remotely could be an echo as more likely to be an echo than a unique fighter. If Isabelle is revealed as a unique, that's even better honestly

Shroob

Sup?
I play Smash for Smash so honestly I find echoes relatively dull unless they offer something particularly unique/interesting like Chrom did (the balanced blade on the Roy moveset is huge!). Newcomer movesets do a lot more to let me imagine how the game will play, and the actual identity of the newcomers isn't really important to me so much as what things they can do. We have Inkling the mobile pester character, Ridley the heavy extra focused on advantage state, Belmont of the disjointed zoning clan, and K.Rool seemingly the world's most plain and simple heavy who might just have good normals to make it all work. What comes next? That's really the main thing that makes new characters interesting to me.
I mean, that's cool for you but.

I view Smash more like a gaming hall of fame.

So seeing new characters get added is always a treat, even if they're Echoes.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Same!!! People keep throwing the idea of her being a clone now that Echoes are a thing, and it could work, but I think she'd make more sense actually being unique
Isabelle being an echo is much less of a crime than Dark Samus being an echo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Isabelle would honestly be preferable for me over those two.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
one thing about echoes that I like is they can just replace characters that you like less. Like, I'm definitely going to play Daisy over Peach, Dark Samus over Samus, absolutely play Chrom over Roy, Dark Pit over Pit, and I would much prefer to play as Isabelle than Villager. So far, only Simon and Marth I like more than their echoes, so its a good way to make a moveset more interesting to more people.

Chrono.

Actually now that I think about it, I feel a reason Isabelle is seen more as an echo by the fandom is because everyone has it in their heads that fully unique newcomers going forward are gonna be either 3rd parties or the super high demand first parties like Isaac/Rool/Ridley.

Isabelle is the face of AC but that doesn't mean much to the hardcore Smash-base.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord

Getting Isabelle as unique meanwhile Dark Samus, Dark Pit, and Shadow (implying he gets in and is an echo) stay echos would hurt me very deeply.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
I guess we could consider that the Music Track could be for an Echo, while the unique newcomer is from a series that's already represented? There's really little evidence towards us even getting an echo, but it might be cool to get our music track for Shadow or Isabelle, while the newcomer is someone like Skull Kid or Bandana Waddle Dee

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Dark Samus works well as an echo imo.
Just because she technically works it doesn't mean her fighting abilities are represented well. Dark Samus doesn't fight like Samus at all. The only saving grace is they altered her animations quite a bit to match her ghoulish nature.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I feel like when Ultimate drops, I'm going to be the only non-Melee veteran who prefers using Roy over Chrom gameplay wise. Yeah his reverse tipper mechanic is really bad, but it's also really fun and satisfying when you're able to rush in and land those sweet-spotted hits on someone. Although, it's not like I'm ever going to use either in a competitive environment, so how good they actually are isn't that important to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom