• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
100% default. I'd go as far as to wager Young Heihachi wouldn't even get an alt. It's amazing the Tag 2 design lasted as long as it did considering it was mostly just there for a gag.
You'd be going way too far. Young Heihachi is an iconic character design. It was used in Playstation All-Stars and it was used for the Heihachi Mii costume in Super Smash Bros for Wii U & 3DS.

We have both of Ike's designs, both of Bayonetta's designs, Cloud's design from Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, and you're telling me they wouldn't bother allowing the player to choose between the two Heihachi designs?!?

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

I physically need this stage back.
Without it, I will start to decompose.

Or just give me the song, that's cool too.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Random prediction: the rumored August 3rd Direct that could potentially happen tomorrow will actually be a Nindies showcase. If not tomorrow it will be within the next week.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
SF AT - Chun-li
FF AT - either Barret, Cid, Sephiroth, or even Aerith with her Healing Wind
MGS - Rising!Raiden (basically Gray Fox 2.0)

tbh I still would prefer Capcom gets Dante as an AT of a series not represented by a playable character a la Bomberman
Street Fighter AT: Sagat
Final Fantasy AT: Agree chocobo is the most likely, but I’m rooting for Kefka
Metal Gear: Probably just keeping Gray Fox.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Were there people who actually doubted Delfino Plaza returning?
That's pretty concerning. :p
I know I shouldn't have thought it wouldn't return, but when looking at the pics of the stages in each character's background, Jr. not being Delfino Plaza was a bit odd.

Honestly, if I can just get all the Melee stages back, I'd be super happy.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You'd be going way too far. Young Heihachi is an iconic character design. It was used in Playstation All-Stars and it was used for the Heihachi Mii costume in Super Smash Bros for Wii U & 3DS.

We have both of Ike's designs, both of Bayonetta's designs, Cloud's design from Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, and you're telling me they wouldn't bother allowing the player to choose between the two Heihachi designs?!?
Yeah, PSASBR, which picked Raiden over Snake and Donte over Dante.
PSASBR seems to be picking recent designs over the most iconic designs.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

It's more likely we get Heihachi's T7 P1 and P2 costumes than the now-outdated Young design that only got used in so many crossovers because it was the current design.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315

I remember being a young 4 year old who lost their **** over fighting Metal Mario...

Also is it just me or does the original Smash Bros have this weird vibe to it that other games completely ignore? It had like this sort of Low-Fi like Industrial look to its UI and menus...

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I just think that's crazy.
If the argument is that they'll pick the most iconic designs, then it's pretty clear to me we'd get Old Tiger Gi Heihachi and Old Shirtless Hakama Heihachi.

Tag 2 Young Heihachi is the new Twilight Princess Link.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Love Rodin. Seeing him again reminded me that we usually have one AT per 3rd party franchise, though we didn't get any for Street Fighter, Final Fantasy and Bayonetta last game because those characters were DLC.

Rodin is already confirmed but what other ATs do you think we should expect to represent SF and FF?

For SF, I can see Sakurai choosing someone like Blanka or Dhalsim instead of characters like Ken/Chun Li - going a similar route to what he did with Mega Man.
Chocobo is the obvious choice for FF, but there are so many good options.
And lastly, I liked Gray Fox but I'd love to have someone different from MGS as an AT (of course, if we could have more than one for all of these, that'd be great but I don't see it).
My predictions:
Street Fighter - Zangief, very popular and his screw pile driver is very iconic and always hype to see.
Final Fantasy - Assuming they're sticking solely FF7, I think Tifa is the most likely due to her popularity. She would probably function like Knuckle Joe, doing physical combos on other fighters and launching them at early percents.
Metal Gear - Gray Fox will probably return, but I'd love to see Revolver Ocelot ricocheting bullets around the arena.

Speaking of assist trophies, does anyone think its strange how Lyn is the only Fire Emblem assist trophy? You'd think a series with so many memorable and unique characters would've gotten another assist trophy. Especially since it would be a good way to put in popular but obscure characters like Sigurd or Tharja.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I remember being a young 4 year old who lost their **** over fighting Metal Mario...

Also is it just me or does the original Smash Bros have this weird vibe to it that other games completely ignore? It had like this sort of Low-Fi like Industrial look to its UI and menus...
SSB64 was either really hard on trumpets or really hard on electronics. I don't think there's an inbetween.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
My predictions:
Street Fighter - Zangief, very popular and his screw pile driver is very iconic and always hype to see.
Final Fantasy - Assuming they're sticking solely FF7, I think Tifa is the most likely due to her popularity. She would probably function like Knuckle Joe, doing physical combos on other fighters and launching them at early percents.
Metal Gear - Gray Fox will probably return, but I'd love to see Revolver Ocelot ricocheting bullets around the arena.

Speaking of assist trophies, does anyone think its strange how Lyn is the only Fire Emblem assist trophy? You'd think a series with so many memorable and unique characters would've gotten another assist trophy. Especially since it would be a good way to put in popular but obscure characters like Sigurd or Tharja.
Or how about series that have been in Smash since the beginning with no ATs to date (DK and Yoshi)?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Depends on what kind of reveal. Something minor like a returning stage? Plausible.

A newcomer, with no buildup and no indication that the casual side of the fanbase should watch? Slim to none.
Honestly?

Are reveals even for a casual type of fan?

They always come across as for the die hards only. I can't count how many times I've had to relay info about Cloud, Ryu, Bayonetta, or hell even Sonic.

There are casuals who played Melee that never touched Brawl and Wii U/3DS that still don't know about Sonic.

The casual fans aren't the ones going online to watch every direct, to check the website daily, etc.

Last edited:

Techo1000

Smash Rookie
My predictions:

After what they did to Snake and Zero Suit Samus, I don't want to imagine what they will do to Tifa.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I remember recreating it in Brawl's Stage Creator. It isn't perfect, but did the job well enough.

Speaking of, I hope Stage Creator returns and is far better. 4's wasn't awful, but it felt underwhelming at times. Brawl's felt a bit more solid(mostly due to the hype of the idea alone), but still could've been better. One thing we could use is more backgrounds. Maybe the option to have more than one song?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Or how about series that have been in Smash since the beginning with no ATs to date (DK and Yoshi)?
DK definitely deserves an assist trophy, its very weird that DK still hasn't gotten one 3 games in.

I don't know what a Yoshi assist trophy would do though. The only one that really comes to mind is Poochie, and even then it would probably just dig up an item and go away. Granted, I haven't played many Yoshi games, so there could be a Yoshi character perfect as an assist trophy that I forgot.

cothero

Smash Lord
I was thinking about Knuckles, his moves makes me think he was meant to be playable, but was scrapped as an assist at some point. Do you guys think it's possible that Sakurai decided to choose Shadow as Sonic's echo than give Knuckles a semi-clone treatment?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok, since I'm bored....MATH TIME!

Observe:

Source
Measuring the length of time it took for Rosie's reveal in For (which is the longest time without reveals) gives us 43.8% of the time from website drop to release. For Ultimate, that comes out to 78 days.

Therefore, we should have a reveal before 78 days after E3, or by 29 August.

REVEAL THIS MONTH HYPE!

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
DK definitely deserves an assist trophy, its very weird that DK still hasn't gotten one 3 games in.

I don't know what a Yoshi assist trophy would do though. The only one that really comes to mind is Poochie, and even then it would probably just dig up an item and go away. Granted, I haven't played many Yoshi games, so there could be a Yoshi character perfect as an assist trophy that I forgot.
Grinders can jump around the stage pelting fighters with watermelon seeds
Goonies can zoom through the stage
Eggo-Dils can produce giant petals that will detatch and hit targets
Froggies can eat fighters similar to Yoshi himself

Just a few ideas...

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Hey so I made a little template for the remaining past stages!

So which ones do you guys want back?

Here's my chart:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Observe:

Source
Measuring the length of time it took for Rosie's reveal in For (which is the longest time without reveals) gives us 43.8% of the time from website drop to release. For Ultimate, that comes out to 78 days.

REVEAL THIS MONTH HYPE!
The best part is Otis staring at me.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Observe:

Source

REVEAL THIS MONTH HYPE!
Somebody take that cow back to the barnyard.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Observe:

Source

REVEAL THIS MONTH HYPE!
This chart isn't accurate, an earlier version of the DOJO was up for almost a year before it started getting more regular updates mid 2007. It would be, by far, the longest time between newcomer reveals.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
You guys realize that Primarina, as a seal is not agile enough to do half the stuff in Smash right?

You gotta go for Popplio or Brionne. As seal lions, they actually can move easily on land.
Sure she can, I made a moveset for Primarina, and I made sure all her movement option were taken care of. Plus if there's anyone who can make a moveset literally out of nothing, its Sakurai.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Hey so I made a little template for the remaining past stages!

So which ones do you guys want back?

Here's my chart:

Fountain of Dreams, Poké Floats, and Pac-Maze.

Also would like to see the return of gimmicky stages like Mario Bros. and Hannenbow, just for the hell of it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
God damn I just realized:ultlink: was right-handed. This doesn't feel right at all.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
nice delfinos back, first bit of new news since E3, and it wasnt even the news its just casually in the background of an image haha

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I would like this, as well as a Kid Icarus-themed stage, based on the original game.
You got Retro Skyworld...all Sakurai will give you now that Uprising is here
Just the thought of Mario Kart 7's Rainbow Road being in Super Smash Bros Ultimate in HD...:colorful:
So delicious

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Smash 64 always had sort of a weird vibe to it. I'm not sure how to describe it.

It's "Game Clear" song always stood out to me above the rest.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Welcome to my reaction to BotW for the past dozen months.
Link was also right-handed in Twilight Princess Wii (HD Master Quest) and Skyward Sword.

At this point they'll probably just be flipping a coin to decide what hand dominance Link has. :laugh:

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Observe:

Source

REVEAL THIS MONTH HYPE!
Oh, it's August?
I can't wait for them to reveal Ike again.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Link was also right-handed in Twilight Princess Wii (HD Master Quest) and Skyward Sword.

At this point they'll probably just be flipping a coin to decide what hand dominance Link has. :laugh:
Canonically TP Link is left-handed, and SS Link was right-handed for obvious reasons.

BotW Link being right-handed made absolutely no sense (and this is coming from a right-hander)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom