• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
the too many FE complaint to me is hilarious when fans begged for roy to be back. then turned around and showed disgust towards the UNIQUE addition while simultaneously not playing the character they begged for. (i never saw roy ANYWHERE online and he was never picked locally by me or my friends).
Because of nostalgia and cut grudge. In reality Roy was unfinished trash tier no one really played. Anyone you cut in Smash people will suddenly care despite previous negativity. Ice Climbers were universally disliked and many wanted them removed because of wobbling and infinite handoffs. They get cut and they cry foul. Wolf was called a worthless clone, he gets cut and they cry foul.

3. Black Shadow: Now, I am no F-Zero fan, in fact I never even played, but to be honest I just feel bad for that franchise, it has been there since the beginning on 64 and is the only one that didn't got anything new after all these games, and now that Ganondorf is less of a clone than ever and the Echoes are a thing, I think it would be really nice to have him.
By this point FZero is so dead Captain Falcon might as well be an Smash OC.

Do you honestly believe, that the FE fanbase actually likes the representation it gets in Smash?

Marth is admirable as a character, but overall he's pretty bland to many and the only nostalgia for him in the West comes from Smash/Melee.

Marth is still popular nowadays, particularly in Japan, where he still receives official art and trading cards. Being popular because of Smash isn't a point against Marth. Not only the interest in him gave FE to the West, his appeal is so big it would be wrong to cut him. Back in 2013 people were worried he would be cut in favor of Lucina (oh the irony) and many celebrated his return. He may be known for "TiPPeR FSmasH!" but so do a lot of other characters like Cap. Falcon, Sheik, Ice Climbers, Falco and Fox.

Roy: For a long time considered the worst FE lord. Also, still Japan only, so no actual nostalgia for him aside from Smash/Melee.

I don't see how being Japan only is a point against Roy when FE6 is really easy to emulate and obtain a ROM, but yeah no defense for Roy. He truly was no one who anyone asked for.

Ike is stupid popular amongst casuals but that's mainly because of Brawl because the performance of his games is what set the franchise downhill to almost being canceled. (No marketing, releasing week of Super Mario Galaxy, etc.) People really appreciate the Tellius games now (see Path of Radiance's value on Ebay) but in the end, Ike was a relevancy character that had missed potential.

The Tellius games are expensive because they were barely printed. Their reception has been going downhill. Many are waking up they are garbage, with sluggish gameplay and terrible design choices. If it weren't for "I fight for my friends" Ike would be horribly unpopular.

Robin: Now this is where the fun begins. Robin seems to have a pretty good rep in the Smash fanbase for being unique and from Awakening, but Robin is heavily contentious in the FE fanbase. He was the start of making overly self-insert avatar characters mainstream, and some see that as ruining some of the most important aspects of the franchise. (Story, characters, etc.)

Yet many were silently on board with Robin because he would be more unique than Chrom, who was supported by autopilot.

Lucina: Another Awakening rep. Up to Smash 4, there were 11 mainline games that weren't remakes, 13 games in total. Blah blah blah...

Costume or clone Lucina got in Smash 4 because she was uber popular between 2013 and 2014 with the FE crowd. The reps are also equally distributed (Marth reps the Kaga era, Ike the dark age, Robin the revival of the series).

Corrin: Overall I bet the FE fanbase wishes Corrin wasn't an FE character. I don't need to go too much into it, but from Fate's story, characters, and how it is overly represented in everything FE after it, people really don't like Fates. Also, as the old saying goes: "Nobody hates FE more than FE fans". People hate Corrin on a surface level in the Smash fanbase but in-depth hate for Corrin goes around in the FE fanbase all the time.

The babies who complain about Corn 24/7 and those who makes memes of them are who give them their popularity. The waifu crowd who idolize Corn and draw fanarts of her also give her popularity. Gotta agree very few asked for Corn.

Don't act like there are a bunch of people dancing around laughing as their somewhat niche little franchise seemingly destroys Smash Bros as a whole (at least that's what I can gather from how people react to it.)

If anything it is the opposite. Many have shown their distaste for Roy's popularity because of "da ph1r3" and debate about Ike all the time. Also contention about memes and jokes being born from Smash, like "I fight for my friends.
Who thinks that Samus was buffed for Ultimate? With the new mid-air charge and stuff.
Huge buff. Samus might be able to impose pressure like Mewtwo in which you can charge your trump card by being launched far away.

And from what I've noticed Three Houses hasn't made much of a splash.
You can tell it's because it got massively overshadowed by Smash Ultimate, but people were still rather mitigated on it.
Because the game went a full year with 0 news. It got so bad the FE subreddit for 3H decided to allow threads about Kirby games because nothing was said. When the trailer finally came we got nothing. We don't know how the game plays or what the hell is the plot.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Roster prediction
I think, counting echoes and already revealed newcomers, there will be 12 new characters, as this game seems to be a celebration of smash, so I think that would be a nice touch.

For new echoes, I'm thinking Chrom and Dark Samus. I dont think Sakurai would try to get a 3rd party character that's a clone. Also, both Chrom's and Dark Samus' palette swaps for Ike and Samus are gone.

For unique newcomers, my guesses are
King K Rool due to fan demand
Bandanna Dee for the same reason
Simon Belmont due to Vergaben
Rayman due to his trophy in Smash 4
Elma due to fan demand and that slip recently
Decidueye as my choice for Pokémon
And someone from FE: Three Houses because they were probably in development at the same time and each game had the most relevant FE characters as a newcomer

Thoughts?
I don't know about a Three Houses rep. In the FE direct in January 2017, Three Houses didn't even have a name yet. It's unlikely a Three Houses character would be in the December 2015 project plan.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
If we get Elma on the base roster and Rex & Pyra as DLC I think it'll happen yeah, people are generally tired of the anime swordfighter archetype, so they'll spout any negative claims against them that they can. I'm not a huge fan of the archetype myself mind you, but I wouldn't really care all that much, I guess Ridley made sure I've got no hate left to dish out :p.
I think people will be fine with Elma due to the fact that she has guns and dual blades, and the fact that she looks different than other “anime” styled characters (she has dark skin).

Really I can only see people hating on Elma because she “stole” Rex/Pyra’s spot and Xenoblade 2 content and replaced with X stuff, even though that is not true and Elma has much more to offer gameplay and look wise than Rex.

Though Xenoblade is in the perfect position to get the same treatment Fire Emblem did, but on a smaller scale. So hopefully we’ll be seeing Shulk duke it out with Elma and Rex/Pyra.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
This is so boring lol.

At least we will get a Smash Blog update today with nothing interesting.
iunno, i'm enjoying blabbing about various nintendo supporting characters

honestly, I'm more starved for info on when their online update is coming; especially since I have to send my switch in for repairs =/

KMDP

Smash Legend
Because the game went a full year with 0 news. It got so bad the FE subreddit for 3H decided to allow threads about Kirby games because nothing was said. When the trailer finally came we got nothing. We don't know how the game plays or what the hell is the plot.
We can make educated guesses (that are probably wrong anyway). The games' Japanese name makes reference to the seasons, but they're running backwards (Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn/Fall). Edelgard's voice over refers to the world being "brutal and irrational" and the Goddess' Crests being to blame.

Might the seasons be backwards in Fódlan (the continent of this Fire Emblem game)? It would cause massive problems for the ecosystem.

Also, calling it now, while Dimitri himself is a good guy, his family are going to be among the bad guys (Bladud references a legendary Briton King who encouraged Necromancy). Also, the Goddess mentioned is probably misguided as well.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Anyways, sometime today I'll set up a supporting character list. it'll be fun

Probably just declaring who they want in Smash... or something.
honestly i'm a broken record when it comes to this but: I have no idea why people are acting like Decidueye is the only clear lock. the only time it was apparent was with Lucario and that's b/c he was gaining mega traction.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

honestly i'm a broken record when it comes to this but: I have no idea why people are acting like Decidueye is the only clear lock. the only time it was apparent was with Lucario and that's b/c he was gaining mega traction.
The only thing that's for certain is that we're getting as a Sun and Moon Pokemon newcomer. Who it is is a wholly different matter.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
Are we shouting Pokemon that we want to be added to Smash now?
GROVYLE!

KMDP

Smash Legend

Rowlet is popular and Decidueye got in Pokken... that's about it. XD (Also, Decidueye is a dedicated archer, something we don't have)

Question: Dedicated Archery character, who would you pick?

Decidueye? Linkle? ...or Takumi...?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
There's tons of errors like that. Captain Falcon should be "captain" not "CptFalcon," Dark Pit should be "pitb" (he's Black Pit in Japan), Mii names are all wrong, and Final Smash effect files would likely be stored in each fighter's individual folders.

But hey, at least they got Isaac's Japanese name right. That's something...
I kind of hope we aren't being scouted for trying to improve on next wave of leaks.

Feels like Salmon Run.

Splatoon-joke. Talk to your Inkling Friends.

Here is a clear listen to :ultzelda: & :ultganondorf:'s voices, not ruined by anything!

Who said Ganondorf is not an old man anymore?
Zelda sounds so refreshing here - also it seems like her SFX is mix of old and new ones altogether.

Dorf's voice certainly shows he's been gone for years though, and apparently is reprising a bit. Gonna miss his yell when using Warlock Punch, though. :drifloon:

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Rowlet is popular and Decidueye got in Pokken... that's about it. XD (Also, Decidueye is a dedicated archer, something we don't have)

Ha, Linkle doesn't use archery.
She uses machine guns disguised as "crossbows"

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Because of nostalgia and cut grudge. In reality Roy was unfinished trash tier no one really played. Anyone you cut in Smash people will suddenly care despite previous negativity. Ice Climbers were universally disliked and many wanted them removed because of wobbling and infinite handoffs. They get cut and they cry foul. Wolf was called a worthless clone, he gets cut and they cry foul.
I get what you're saying about these characters never really being that popular until after being in Smash (well, except Wolf), but I don't agree with the implication that unbalanced characters shouldn't return. Ice Climber's chaingrabs could be fixed with balancing (and thankfully they seem to be trying to remove them this time), and the same thing applies to Roy, Roy was horrific in terms of viability but he could always get balanced with greater care in later installments, and I feel that no character should be cut/never return merely because they're balanced poorly, should we cut :4jigglypuff::4dedede::4zelda: and :4ganondorf: because they're all competitively unviable? Should :4metaknight: have never returned because he was absolutely overpowered nonsense in Brawl?
INCINAROAR
Wait, did something about Incineroar happen today? Is something going on?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Are we shouting Pokemon that we want to be added to Smash now?
GROVYLE!
ARCANINE!
Come on Sakurai and Pokémon Company, at least give my boi a Pokéball. Growlie/Arcanine always seemed like the Vulpix/Ninetails counterparts, but they got the Alola formes and are now in Smash. Let's let the OG dogs out!

Specaking of badass Pokémon though, I was bored and ran through that Hunger Games simulator with some of the Smash characters...
HungerGames.png

:joyful:DUDE SQUIRTLE IS A BEAST!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
ARCANINE!
Come on Sakurai and Pokémon Company, at least give my boi a Pokéball. Growlie/Arcanine always seemed like the Vulpix/Ninetails counterparts, but they got the Alola formes and are now in Smash. Let's let the OG dogs out!

Specaking of badass Pokémon though, I was bored and ran through that Hunger Games simulator with some of the Smash characters...
View attachment 154008
:joyful:DUDE SQUIRTLE IS A BEAST!
Squirtle: “DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE FACE OF MERCY?!” :troll:

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ha, Linkle doesn't use archery.
She uses machine guns disguised as "crossbows"
She still fires arrows, right? (Admittedly at a ludicrously high rate of fire :laugh:)

That's close enough in my book~.

NGL though I actually kind of want a Hyrule Warriors character, whether it's Impa, Lana or Linkle.

Noipoi

Howdy!
We're shouting pokemon now? Okay.
NOIVERN
GARDEVOIR
POIPOLE
ESPEON
HYDREIGON

These are actually my top five favorite Pokemon and I would 100% be okay with them being Pokeballs, beside Gardevoir obviously.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The Pokemon newcomer always feels like a compromise for me personally as my favorites will never make it in.

Arbok, Arcanine, Toxicroak, Machamp, Steelix, Vileplume, Venomoth, Garbodor, Tentacruel....you won't get your chance another day.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's not certain at all.
Personally I think an Alola Pokémon is the second closest thing to a lock, behind Isabelle. I don't think Sakurai would skip over Pokémon's big twentieth anniversary title.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

I'd pick Linkle, also on an added note, since no one is repping Primarina on this thread, I will do so. Give me Primarina as our Gen 7 rep for Smash!

Edit: since we're shouting top Pokémon picks:

GARDEVOIR
PRIMARINA
ARCANINE
LYCANROC
ZERAORA(ORA)(ORA)(ORA)!
GARCHOMP
BLAZIKEN
INFERNAPE

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I just noticed that they changed Mario's down-Smash to a breakdance...

Is it supposed to be a reference to Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
SCEPTILE!!!

Let's play a game; "Nintendo's top echo"

A game where you get to pick only one Echo fighter. Not based on how likely the character is for the game, or how perfect they would fit the role as an echo fighter, but one that you particularly would like to see in the game as an echo. It can be an obscure one, it could be a popular often talked about one. The only requirement is that you have to write a little review on why they should be an echo, and what the character itself means to you! You can comment on other's choices, but be more creative than; "That's most likely not going to happen. Or, what a stupid choice, get outta heah~"

I'll start. Mine is: Black Shadow.
Echo: Captain Falcon.

While I do think that Black Shadow could warrent his own moveset quite well (like most echoes being dicussed), I still think that the best chance he would have had was being an echo, as F-Zero as a series right now is quite dormant. I was kind of against it, but seeing how positivily I reacted towards Daisy, I think I'd be blessed with his appearence either way. Black Shadow to me is pretty cool, as I've been a huge fan of F-Zero for years, and my favourite being GX in the series it had some more personality, and story, were Black Shadow shined through as a badass villain. I'm in favour of good series have some great representation, not for the "rep" count, but at least some more characters that I would personally like to see, and F-Zero being of the original 12, I think it's really something that would be great. I see a lot of people talking about "Ninten" as somewhat of a possibility, but how much probable is a "Mother" character over an F-Zero? Both series have not receieved anything in years. Therefore, I'd also love to see Black Shadow as an echo, as he actually would fit that very well, we would get another villain, and a new F-Zero character. And while Samurai Goroh is my favourite amongst the bunch, Black Shadow comes right behind in terms of my most wanted F-Zero pilots.
Ooo boy, character choices based purely on subjectivity. This is where Boshi truly shines...

Boshi
Echo: Mar-- I mean Yoshi :bee:

I think it goes without saying that I love Yoshi, but he is severely underrated among many people, especially Smashers. My guess it's because they don't have a grasp on his personality, and that's why I propose to resurrect his "WAH" counterpart from the dead. Boshi would be the 180 opposite of Yoshi in terms of character, so not only would it give Boshi much needed personality, but Yoshi as well. In the 22 years since SMRPG Yoshi has underwent a lot of changes, which incidentally meant Boshi has as well even if he hasn't shown up since. That's the perks of being a character only meant mirror another. Since Yoshi is one of the sweetest and pure-hearted fictional creatures around, Boshi would be horrendous, disgusting and other implications. I can even envision how he'd get into Smash. Despite being one of the most recognizable video game characters around, Yoshi would prefer to back away from the spotlight even if he's earned the right. On the other hand, Boshi would show up and hijack a position he has no right to (i.e. a slot in Smash). So in short, I want Boshi because it would benefit both characters for him to be there...

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
TOGETIC!

But uh anyway, when are you all expecting to see the next Direct? Still sometime in July, in August, or sometime after August? I'm still personally expecting it sometime in July merely because of the Star Allies Wave 2.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Incineroar is also pretty dang popular plus, getting in Pokken kinda probably won't mean anything until proven otherwise. Everyone thought Greninja was a lock for Pokken speculation because of Greninja in Smash, and yet we ended up with... Braixen. Not even a third evolution. Just... Braixen.

Like, if we're just locking it to S&M starters, it should really be a discussion of Incineroar and Decidueye, and the discussion should center around what both of these Pokemon can bring to the table, especially since there's not a lot to go off of one versus the other.

(And then if we discuss S&M Pokes as a whole... lotta choices)

The Pokemon newcomer always feels like a compromise for me personally as my favorites will never make it in.

Arbok, Arcanine, Toxicroak, Machamp, Steelix, Vileplume, Venomoth, Garbodor, Tentacruel....you won't get your chance another day.
imagine being a wingull fan

literally my favorite pokemon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Decidueye all the way for me. Easily one of my favorite Alola Pokémon. Though if we go fully outlandish Virion or Tobin would be my two preferred archers. :p

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Personally I think an Alola Pokémon is the second closest thing to a lock, behind Isabelle. I don't think Sakurai would skip over Pokémon's big twentieth anniversary title.
That and Pokemon is always a crowd-pleaser, so putting in a new one would be no more risky than Greninja was for Smash 4.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Nah, other games' anniversaries haven't meant anything to Smash before, no reason to think it'd have an effect now.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
SCEPTILE!!!

Ooo boy, character choices based purely on subjectivity. This is where Boshi truly shines...

Boshi
Echo: Mar-- I mean Yoshi :bee:

I think it goes without saying that I love Yoshi, but he is severely underrated among many people, especially Smashers. My guess it's because they don't have a grasp on his personality, and that's why I propose to resurrect his "WAH" counterpart from the dead. Boshi would be the 180 opposite of Yoshi in terms of character, so not only would it give Boshi much needed personality, but Yoshi as well. In the 22 years since SMRPG Yoshi has underwent a lot of changes, which incidentally meant Boshi has as well even if he hasn't shown up since. That's the perks of being a character only meant mirror another. Since Yoshi is one of the sweetest and pure-hearted fictional creatures around, Boshi would be horrendous, disgusting and other implications. I can even envision how he'd get into Smash. Despite being one of the most recognizable video game characters around, Yoshi would prefer to back away from the spotlight even if he's earned the right. On the other hand, Boshi would show up and hijack a position he has no right to (i.e. a slot in Smash). So in short, I want Boshi because it would benefit both characters for him to be there...
I like the fact that you at least talk about what you're passionate about and go fully at it instead of blabbering the usual suspects; I just gotta say that.

Also agreed; beyond Stages, Yoshi really hasn't got much. Also SMRPG was a good game.
TOGETIC!

But uh anyway, when are you all expecting to see the next Direct? Still sometime in July, in August, or sometime after August? I'm still personally expecting it sometime in July merely because of the Star Allies Wave 2.
Uh... I could see them going without it. Tbh, people are gonna hate this, but I'm expecting (and also pessimistic on it) mid to late august. They still owe us a lot of answers about online before they expect us to actually start paying for it.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Even if Gen 4 somehow got another rep Infernerape and/or Empoleon would easily be chosen over Torterra, I cri.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
As far as pokemon go, my actual greatest pipe dream is Mewtwo... from Pokken.

He's so goddamn cool in that game it's ridiculous. It's like Mewtwo said "SCREW IT, I'M USING EVERY SINGLE ATTACK IN MY MOVE POOL AND THEN SOME."
Psywave, Confusion, Psycho Cut, Barrier, telekinesis, Psystrike (the real one with the rocks), drain punch, psyshock, flamethrower, fire spin, thunderbolt, fire punch, thunder punch, ice punch, icicle crash, teleport, focus blast, shadow ball, close combat, zen headbutt and of course the ALL-MIGHTY HYPER BEAM.

AND EXACTLY, ZERO TAIL MOVES
Just look at it:
He even somehow made Mr. Fantastic stretchy arms look COOL.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I actually already have most of the Pokémon characters I want most for Smash (Lucario and Mewtwo, Pikachu is always a given, Ivysaur fills in the Bulba/Venusaur want).

My favourite non-legendary Pokémon evo lines are:
Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treecko, Lucario, Ralts, Poliwag, Meowth, Growlithe, Magikarp, Feebas, Roselia, Petilil, Dratini, Golett, Litwick, Trapinch, Swablu and Shroomish (in no particular order). Most of these I don't consider "Smash worthy" so... *shrug* The only one I actually want in Smash who isn't already is Gardevoir... that's about it, really.

If it seems like there's a lot, it's because it's a "I can't just pick one" thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom